Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 23:02   #17251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I found xperia sp with a dual core processor scoring higher in benchmarks than Moto G with a quad core processor. Wonder why it is so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
May be because SP has faster 1.7 dual core processors. Don't know which quad core processor G is having, must definitely be 1.2 or 1.5 ghz, which is slower though quad core.
E.g. In PC 3 ghz dual core processor shall be faster than 2.5 ghz quad core processor.
Because speed does matter not just number of cores.
Sony SP is a bit older though faster.
There are several things that you need to consider here.
  • Increase in the number of cores helps better multi tasking capabilities. for eg:-, if you keep several tasks running in the background, and still need responsiveness with the UI, quad core will surely help.
  • With benchmarks, the processor capabilities matters more than the number of cores.
  • And it's not just GHz or cores that determines the performance, it's also influenced by the amount of cache memory, the GPU used, the technology used among many other factors.
This is a good read - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406293,00.asp

Quote:
Looking to buy a new phone in 15-20k budget. Currently considering Moto G or Sony xperia sp. None of the Samsung phones interest me.
Between the 2 which one is a better buy ? Also any other present /upcoming phone I should consider ?
If I were you, I would close my eye and go for Moto G, because it provides amazing value for money. It will make costly smartphones redundant ( unless if you buy smartphone for gaming or camera quality )

Check out the review - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot...ew-1021p11.php
Read through the full article. Or atleast the Conclusion/Final Words atleast. Almost all reviewers are of similar opinion with the Moto G.

Last edited by amalji : 13th December 2013 at 23:06.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:48   #17252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If I were you, I would close my eye and go for Moto G, because it provides amazing value for money. It will make costly smartphones redundant ( unless if you buy smartphone for gaming or camera quality )

Check out the review - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot...ew-1021p11.php
Read through the full article. Or atleast the Conclusion/Final Words atleast. Almost all reviewers are of similar opinion with the Moto G.
I read that review word to word its hard to ignore the G. The only deal breaker for me is the pricing. In India its costing me 17k and at 3k extra (on eBay with Sony warranty) is the SP with better camera and processor too. Hence the dilemma. If it were at US prices would've been a no-brainer.
The Moto G has a 1.2ghz quad core.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:52   #17253
Senior - BHPian

Do not buy reviews or benchmarks or hype. Wait for a friend to buy, load it down with apps, and then apply your own brain (motoG/SP).

I bought a so-called flagship S3 and it is laggy like hell, terrible echo sound quality on speakerphone as if i'm a robot. I don't have the time to go to samsung service center (as busy as old Nokia!), first to drop then to pick it up - though the guys are nice they have a decent amount of traffic.

the other day at univercell, i tried a gionee Dream D1 which felt fantastic - pretty much lagless and felt just the right size.

or the fact that my S3's camera starts faster than a colleague's Nexus 4 - there are enough nuances in a phone purchase. try it out in person IMHO.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:00   #17254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read that review word to word its hard to ignore the G. The only deal breaker for me is the pricing. In India its costing me 17k and at 3k extra (on eBay with Sony warranty) is the SP with better camera and processor too. Hence the dilemma. If it were at US prices would've been a no-brainer.
The Moto G has a 1.2ghz quad core.
I would recommend that you wait till January for the official release. The prices should be even lower.

If I compare Nexus 4 price in US amazon.com and India,
in the US, it costs around 20,700/-
while in India, it's 24,700
means a 4k difference. It's 20% costlier.

Moto G 16 GB costs around 12,200/- in the US.
So, it should be available for around 14,600/- when it's released or atleast a few weeks within release.

The point I'm trying to make is that you simply don't need a faster processor than the Moto G unless if you are interested in playing games and use your phone for taking a lot of pics. I would have recommended Xperia SP if it had 2GB RAM instead of a faster processor. But, for that small processor advantage, it is not going to bring in any noticeable difference especially when you consider the bloatware free firmware and guaranteed upgrade to Kitkat that you are going to get on the Moto G.

The stock android experience is an added advantage as well. There is nothing that beats the performance of a stock android.
Then, the community support that you are going to get for the Moto G would be unmatched, since this is a sure hit device.

for eg:-, closer to the stock android on my mom's Lenova Ideatab A1000 gives a much faster performance than my dad's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 which costs double the amount. Almost all Samsungs are laggy thanks to the bloatware softwares that they add on top of android.

Last edited by amalji : 14th December 2013 at 00:18.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:19   #17255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Do not buy reviews or benchmarks or hype. Wait for a friend to buy, load it down with apps, and then apply your own brain (motoG/SP).
Very true. I realized it myself after owning a droid for a year, so have this experiment going on with the Nexus 5

Quote:
I would recommend that you wait till January for the official release. The prices should be even lower.

If I compare Nexus 4 price in US amazon.com and India, in the US, it costs around 20,700/- while in India, it's 24,700 means a 4k difference. It's 20% costlier.

Moto G 16 GB costs around 12,200/- in the US. So, it should be available for around 14,600/- when it's released or atleast a few weeks within release.

The point I'm trying to make is that you simply don't need a faster processor than the Moto G unless if you are interested in playing games and use your phone for taking a lot of pics. I would have recommended Xperia SP if it had 2GB RAM instead of a faster processor. But, for that small processor advantage, it is not going to bring in much difference especially when you consider the bloatware free firmware and guaranteed upgrade to Kitkat that you are going to get on the Moto G.

The stock android experience is an added advantage as well. There is nothing that beats the performance of a stock android.
Guessing the price is always a dicey business. I'm willing to wait though, January isn't very far away and if I save 2k its all the better. You are right about the processing needs,but i'm upgrading from a very old phone (Nexus S), so would like to play a few of those awesome games, atleast till the novelty factor wears off Also I have a 5mp camera currently so would like a better camera, not necessarily more pixels though.

Stock android is great, but i've found Sony's touchwiz to be decently fast when i've used their phones. Not much experience with Samsung though.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:28   #17256
Senior - BHPian

Any news on MOTO X for INDIA ?

Is Moto G going to be dual SIM ? I want to gift a phone to my parents.
Old 14th December 2013, 02:32   #17257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right about the processing needs,but i'm upgrading from a very old phone (Nexus S), so would like to play a few of those awesome games, atleast till the novelty factor wears off Also I have a 5mp camera currently so would like a better camera, not necessarily more pixels though.

Stock android is great, but i've found Sony's touchwiz to be decently fast when i've used their phones. Not much experience with Samsung though.
Sony's UI is surely faster than Samsung/HTC. But, never as close to stock android. The problem with Sony is that community support will die down ( or get slower fast ) due to the kind of buyers that normally go for Sony.

If you need a remarkable speed improvement especially with games, I would recommend to buy a phone with 2 GB RAM and not get stuck with Xperia . That processor is not going to help, if your memory starts swapping. With Moto G, I did not consider gaming ( even though it gives decent gaming performance as well ). Even the camera is far from great. It's a practical and VFM buy. You will never regret the amount of money you spend on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Any news on MOTO X for INDIA ?
Is Moto G going to be dual SIM ? I want to gift a phone to my parents.
Logically, it should come to India, after the release of Moto G.
Old 14th December 2013, 13:37   #17258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony's UI is surely faster than Samsung/HTC. But, never as close to stock android. The problem with Sony is that community support will die down ( or get slower fast ) due to the kind of buyers that normally go for Sony.

If you need a remarkable speed improvement especially with games, I would recommend to buy a phone with 2 GB RAM and not get stuck with Xperia . That processor is not going to help, if your memory starts swapping. With Moto G, I did not consider gaming ( even though it gives decent gaming performance as well ). Even the camera is far from great. It's a practical and VFM buy. You will never regret the amount of money you spend on it.
Saw a review on gaming performance yesterday it was able to handle most of the games very well, also the 'India' retail package is expected to come with a charger and earphones. It looks very promising on paper, will wait for the launch and decide. Thanks for the help
Old 14th December 2013, 20:08   #17259
BANNED

If stock android is so much faster, why the heck don't Samsung etc release their phones without the bloatware?
Old 14th December 2013, 21:05   #17260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
If stock android is so much faster, why the heck don't Samsung etc release their phones without the bloatware?
Because bloatware is only a POV.

Hope you get what I mean by POV. (For example, Windows is, for me, a hole in the [fire] wall.)
Old 14th December 2013, 22:36   #17261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG have released their phones with stock Android. These not available on India though.

These phones are called "Google Play Edition".
Old 15th December 2013, 21:10   #17262
Senior - BHPian

Some of you advised against it but I still went ahead and bought a Nexus 4 - pre-owned from the USA. Had it delivered to a friend who checked everything was fine and I got it today here.

Very nice piece - in very good shape - there is a some show of use but no dings, breaks or scratches at all. And the seller even gave me 2 extra screenguards and 2 cases - though those are very garish

It was factory reset and in 4.2. As soon as I connected to the WiFi, it upgraded to 4.4 and restarted. Again downloaded 4.4.2 and restarted. Looks great! I was using a Micromax A110 and though I miss the slightly larger screen, the display on this is amazing. And I can greatly feel the difference in the computing capabilities - even connecting to WiFi takes that much shorter a time. Installing apps was a breeze. And am I glad to see that I have around 1.2 Gigs left - something that bugged me in the Micromax.

I primarily bought this device because it is still a great buy and mostly for the support from Google and the XDA community. I am certain I will get some great ROMs for this once I am bored of the Stock.
Old 15th December 2013, 23:56   #17263
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Finally after much confusion and discussions I went ahead and asked my cousin in US to order the Motorola Moto G for me.

I ordered the 16GB Global GSM model. He was told by someone that there are delays whem ordered from Motorola site and hence ordered frlm amazon.com. There is no price difference in either of the 2 sites. My cousin will bring down the Moto g on 24th Dec. I find Moto G an absolute bargain @ $230.

Name:  Screenshot_201312152350211.png
Views: 533
Size:  81.1 KB

Regards,
Old 16th December 2013, 00:07   #17264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Finally after much confusion and discussions I went ahead and asked my cousin in US to order the Motorola Moto G for me.

I ordered the 16GB Global GSM model. He was told by someone that there are delays whem ordered from Motorola site and hence ordered frlm amazon.com. There is no price difference in either of the 2 sites. My cousin will bring down the Moto g on 24th Dec. I find Moto G an absolute bargain @ $230.

Regards,
Congrats!! Would love to get some first hand account of this phone. BTW, isn't shipping free? Or did you opt for some kind of express shipping?
Old 16th December 2013, 07:57   #17265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Great stuff! I was leaning towards getting this too but finally went for the Nexus 4. The Moto G is certainly a great buy. But I thought shipping was free from Amazon? And also, when I tried to place the order from the Motorola site, it asked for a US credit card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks