Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 12:02   #17701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got Boost Moto G (for Reliance cdma) for just 6939/- from ebay i2c (after using reliance discount coupon) -

Now that's a deal...
Does this phone have a sim card slot? Because my cousins current old reliance cdma phone has a sim in it.
Old 19th February 2014, 12:10   #17702
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Does this phone have a sim card slot? Because my cousins current old reliance cdma phone has a sim in it.
No RUIM (sim) slot. The MEID needs to be registered on Reliance which can be done by people on the Rimweb link I have posted earlier.
Old 19th February 2014, 12:17   #17703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes, that's what I meant and I hope I was evidently clear. This process is for people on CDMA or wanting to shift to CDMA. I am getting consistent 2~2.5Mbps data speeds on EVDO (3G in cdma vocabulary) and that too pan India, at dirt cheap rates of 94Rs. per month for 1/2 GB data (keeps changing).
Great post!
The steps listed indicate that there is quite some effort involved - not as simple as flashing a custom ROM.

BTW: Is Reliance transparent enough on the billing part now-a-days?
Old 19th February 2014, 12:24   #17704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Great post! BTW: Is Reliance transparent enough on the billing part now-a-days?
Thanks. I have been a Reliance customer since their launch. Shifted from postpaid to prepaid and now back to postpaid since the last 5 years. My bills are almost half to one forth compared to my brother on Airtel postpaid. Zero issues on postpaid.
Old 19th February 2014, 14:20   #17705
BANNED

@dkaile; I had been with them since before launch, any son was also a DAPO. He moved from Manipal to Delhi and then back. He had to give up Reliance since in his current place of work, Fortis - Gurgaon (right next to HUDA Centre) Reliance signal is near zilch. So he is now Airtel (on Fortis CUG) and I ported due to errant signal of late, call drops, snd no Data. I forgot that my son (docanurag) also had data issues (discussed extensively on Rimweb) which was fixed by Hetal from the back end. Also, you had similar issues with your wife's DAPO. What I am surprised is that voice on Voda seems to be far better then on RIM even though CDMA is supposed to be superior. Also, one normally does not need much data, there is normally WiFi at home, at work and often at the places you are commonly at.

Let us wait for Reliance Jio to change the game!
Old 20th February 2014, 05:47   #17706
BHPian

Moto G users, one question.

Does the Moto G support WiFi direct? My old phone didn't and it would have been nice to have the feature this time around.
Old 20th February 2014, 09:42   #17707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz.k View Post
Just format the device once. After that the experience would be butter smooth and battery backup good too. Thats what i did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Must be some app not letting your phone deep sleep. Install betterbatterystats and cpuspy to confirm and find the particular app. In the meantime, try disabling google now, location services too. I remember having a similar problem on my old phone
Thanks for your response.
Will first try as suggested by @Dry Ice and then the formatting route.

If both options disappoint, I will end up buying Mophie Juice Pack (external battery pack)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mophiejuicepack.jpg

image source - ubergizmo.com

I am an extensive travelling and battery life is most crucial.

Alongside, I am also considering replacing this phone with a Sony Experia Z1 compact - the 4.3'' version of the larger Z1.

Heard it is pretty impressive and has a much better battery life.
Anybody owns it by now? can I get some feedback about that phone?
Old 21st February 2014, 09:55   #17708
Distinguished - BHPian

I miss a few widgets I had on my Galaxy S2 like the weather and Alarm widget. Is there anyway of getting the same on Nexus 5?

Also regarding mobile network settings, the phone says its recommended to keep it on LTE. The other options are 3G and 2G. Which option should I check? I have a ongoing 3G plan on my sim. But in my hospital we get only 2G network and hence on my Galaxy S2 there was this auto mode where phone connected to 3g or 2g depending on network availability. So which option to check now?
Old 21st February 2014, 12:39   #17709
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Moto G users, one question.

Does the Moto G support WiFi direct? My old phone didn't and it would have been nice to have the feature this time around.
I can see Wi-fi direct option in the MotoG. But I have now installed 4.4.2, so not sure if it is there on 4.3.
Also I haven't tried using the Wi-fi direct on this phone so not sure if it works alright.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:55   #17710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post

I can see Wi-fi direct option in the MotoG. But I have now installed 4.4.2, so not sure if it is there on 4.3.
Also I haven't tried using the Wi-fi direct on this phone so not sure if it works alright.
Thanks for that.

I couldn't find any proper answers online.
I think the nexus 7 also got WiFi direct only with the 4.4 update.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:06   #17711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I miss a few widgets I had on my Galaxy S2 like the weather and Alarm widget. Is there anyway of getting the same on Nexus 5?

Also regarding mobile network settings, the phone says its recommended to keep it on LTE. The other options are 3G and 2G. Which option should I check? I have a ongoing 3G plan on my sim. But in my hospital we get only 2G network and hence on my Galaxy S2 there was this auto mode where phone connected to 3g or 2g depending on network availability. So which option to check now?
I've set it to LTE mode. What I find is, it connects to 3g data automatically, I have to force it into 2g network if I do't have a data pack. I used the phone for a few days with 3g only mode and found my phone without network connectivity quite often.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:15   #17712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, even I miss a few widgets which I used on my Galaxy S2. On the Nexus 5, I have to do multiple touches to switch on/off wifi/data/bluetooth etc whereas on the S2, it was just a one touch operation after draggin down the taskbar.

I guess I have to take the plunge into the world of rooting and Custom ROMs soon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've set it to LTE mode. What I find is, it connects to 3g data automatically, I have to force it into 2g network if I do't have a data pack. I used the phone for a few days with 3g only mode and found my phone without network connectivity quite often.
Even I have set it to LTE on my Nexus 5. I usually keep 3G data on from most of the time and I can see the 'H' symbol on the signal level indicator. It automatically switches to 'E' when 3G is not available.

PS. This is a noob question. LTE is 4G, right? or have I got it all wrong?
Old 21st February 2014, 13:15   #17713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Precisely what I am facing too. I have tried it on 3G and although it still connects to 2G when 3G is not available but it does lose the network quite often . Will try with LTE mode now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Yeah, even I miss a few widgets which I used on my Galaxy S2. On the Nexus 5, I have to do multiple touches to switch on/off wifi/data/bluetooth etc whereas on the S2, it was just a one touch operation after draggin down the taskbar.
You just echoed my thoughts. On the S2 so many functions were much easier to operate. With KitKat I feel its less user friendly as to change any setting it wants me to go to settings and what used to be a one touch operation has now become multitouch.

Quote:
PS. This is a noob question. LTE is 4G, right? or have I got it all wrong?
Yes it is 4G but it is still not available in India.

Last edited by drmohitg : 21st February 2014 at 13:23.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:26   #17714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess I have to take the plunge into the world of rooting and Custom ROMs soon
Try this app called Battery widget reborn, not only does it give you toggles for wifi, torch etc, also gives detailed info on your battery and I find it quite accurate.

Also, if you're finding the display too bright (I do) try this app called Lux lite. It really helps if you're using your phone indoors mostly as the brightness is reduced.
Old 21st February 2014, 15:28   #17715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Try widgetsoid on the market.
You can make a widget panel of all your toggles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks