Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 12:01   #19531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Don't know about user experience but the different sized USB is not true. I have charged it with Samsung,Sony and Nokia micro-USB chargers and it works perfectly fine with all of them.
Can you show the differences in pictures if possible?
I have already gifted it and hence cannot do the same right now. But still will try to source the pictures. I have a Galaxy s2, Moto G, Nexus 5 which all use the same charger. But the Redmi 1S refused to connect to it.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:11   #19532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

In other news, Mi India have responded on their Facebook page to the reports of an IAF notice to users not to use their phones. Below is a quote of it
Still I think IAF has done right thing and all government agencies / regulated sector should follow the suit, Almost all the defence forces in the world use on-premise servers and governments have requirement to keep data in-shore. IAF has it's own AF mobile network and buying a phone which stores data on foreign cloud defeats the purpose of dedicated network.

AES-128 actually does not give any kind of guarantee , Even AES-256 is breakable ( thus available to civilian use and out of export control preview of US) and IIRC government of India itself has technology to break AES-256.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:30   #19533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have already gifted it and hence cannot do the same right now. But still will try to source the pictures. I have a Galaxy s2, Moto G, Nexus 5 which all use the same charger. But the Redmi 1S refused to connect to it.
Redmi uses standard Micro usb and its a usb standard, there wont be any change in that for any manufacturer.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:46   #19534
BHPian

Regular USB charger works fine with my Redmi too! One of the reasons why I switched over to CM11 is that stock MI Rom is slow. . Slow wake up of the phone might be due to enabling the packet mode.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:25   #19535
Senior - BHPian

This is the screenshot of my phone's(htc desire 816) internal memory and I am wondering what all is consuming 5+GB of data in 'others' category. How can I have access to this section and free up some precious internal memory!

Edit: also I was wondering how my apps could account to 1+gb of space as I have only installed basic apps like whatsapp, tbhp, tapatalk, gmail, fb(which i don't use anyways), saavn, clean master and couple of such apps. I have disabled most of stock bloatware app.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1414500866120.jpg  

Last edited by bluevolt : 28th October 2014 at 18:31.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:56   #19536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Still I think IAF has done right thing and all government agencies / regulated sector should follow the suit, Almost all the defence forces in the world use on-premise servers and governments have requirement to keep data in-shore. IAF has it's own AF mobile network and buying a phone which stores data on foreign cloud defeats the purpose of dedicated network.
I am not trolling but a serious question - what about the NSA that monitors ALL data across the world?
Old 28th October 2014, 19:56   #19537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am not trolling but a serious question - what about the NSA that monitors ALL data across the world?
Exactly my point. People wake up when China is mentioned. When it comes to US we are always lethargic and sleepy and optimistic - a potential foe far away is much more benign than an aggressive foe breathing down our borders!

Would be curious to know Israeli army policies. Surely they have already thought through this issue many years back!
Old 28th October 2014, 21:05   #19538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is the screenshot of my phone's(htc desire 816) internal memory and I am wondering what all is consuming 5+GB of data in 'others' category. How can I have access to this section and free up some precious internal memory!

Edit: also I was wondering how my apps could account to 1+gb of space as I have only installed basic apps like whatsapp, tbhp, tapatalk, gmail, fb(which i don't use anyways), saavn, clean master and couple of such apps. I have disabled most of stock bloatware app.
Apps I think include App data and Its media count.

I don't know about HTC but in Stock Android phones you can tap the other and see which folders have used how much space. See if you can do that in HTC.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:37   #19539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Try *#9900# and choose delete dump then exit
Old 29th October 2014, 00:11   #19540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Try *#9900# and choose delete dump then exit
That only works with Samsung phones I believe.

Edit: @bluevolt - The 1.5GB of apps include the built in apps as well. Disabling them does not uninstall them, so they still do take up some space.

The Other tab might include things like cache data, documents, or some other miscellaneous stuff. Try tapping on the tab to see what can be removed.

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 29th October 2014 at 00:16.
Old 29th October 2014, 01:15   #19541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WhatsApp is the major culprit here.
I can safely say that your whatsapp media folder would be atleast 700 MB +, if not less.
The Whatsapp media folder contains Images, Photos and Videos that are Sent and Received via WhatsApp.

If you think that you have not received / sent much media, please, still browse and check the folder size. Delete the folder and see the difference.

My whatsapp media folder amounted to a whooping 1.8 GB !! Just blindly deleted the folder (with all subfolders). I straightaway regained the space on the internal memory.

Amongst, FB is another big culprit. The damn app is over 200 MB !! Add browsing history and cache to it, it takes up a cool 300 MB+ of your internal storage.

GMail app is very light and it doesn't store any data locally on the phone, so it may not be consuming much space. Same about TBhp, Tapatalk, CleanMaster and Saavn apps.
Old 29th October 2014, 06:49   #19542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Install DiskUsage and check which folder/app is taking the most space.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iskusage&hl=en
Old 29th October 2014, 08:21   #19543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Exactly my point. People wake up when China is mentioned. When it comes to US we are always lethargic and sleepy and optimistic - a potential foe far away is much more benign than an aggressive foe breathing down our borders!

Would be curious to know Israeli army policies. Surely they have already thought through this issue many years back!
And our small question didn't even make a dent here you noticed? Thats how the media also works - pumping out FUD about China whereas the US is the saviour of the world.

Severly OT but....
Old 29th October 2014, 08:29   #19544
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally swapped out my one year old S3 with Samsung Note 3 Neo. Great phone and does not lag with its 2Gb Ram and has very good battery life with its 3100mah battery! The best part is that the phone price is 23,500 and I got 9,000 as exchange value for my S3 so the Note 3 Neo costed me only 14,500 only! This Samsung offer is going on only till 30th Oct and if others want to exchange, this is a good opportunity!
Old 29th October 2014, 08:34   #19545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Finally swapped out my one year old S3 with Samsung Note 3 Neo. Great phone and does not lag with its 2Gb Ram and has very good battery life with its 3100mah battery! The best part is that the phone price is 23,500 and I got 9,000 as exchange value for my S3 so the Note 3 Neo costed me only 14,500 only! This Samsung offer is going on only till 30th Oct and if others want to exchange, this is a good opportunity!
Would it not have been nicer to resell the S3? You would definitely have gotten 10-11k on OLX!

Did the S3 lag a lot?

@Naveen - *sigh*

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks