Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 15:42   #26956
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Looks like I've discovered the perfect fix for the Nokia 8 camera. The Google / Pixel camera app.
Apparently there are modded versions of the pixel camera available for download as one, especially one that is suited for the Nokia 8 which I'm still to check out, but I think I will stock to the existing version since I already like it a lot.
There seems to be a number of versions (.apk) of Google Camera app. Which one do you have and where did you download it from? I just installed one called GCMod5 and the interface looks just like Pixel 2.

Name:  Screenshot_20180127153458.png
Views: 1148
Size:  174.4 KB

I now have HDR+ On and HDR+ enhanced too. But there is no Nokia 8 listed under "B S G Mod settings" and I have hence selected 'Pixel 2017 Zsl HDR+". ZSL stands for Zero Shutter Lag (apparently). Here is a photo of my son who is dancing - there is no blur at all.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_154503.jpg

However, the photo appears 'darker' than usual. I guess I need to fiddle around a bit more with the app settings.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th January 2018 at 15:49.
Old 27th January 2018, 16:40   #26957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There seems to be a number of versions (.apk) of Google Camera app. Which one do you have and where did you download it from? I just installed one called GCMod5 and the interface looks just like Pixel 2.

Attachment 1721202

I now have HDR+ On and HDR+ enhanced too. But there is no Nokia 8 listed under "B S G Mod settings" and I have hence selected 'Pixel 2017 Zsl HDR+". ZSL stands for Zero Shutter Lag (apparently). Here is a photo of my son who is dancing - there is no blur at all.

Attachment 1721203

However, the photo appears 'darker' than usual. I guess I need to fiddle around a bit more with the app settings.
There are many many versions. This is the repository of all the releases:

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...google-camera/

You need to search XDA for nokia 8 working ones.

I found one for LG G6 specific. As in the colours are calibrated for the G6 sensor.

Someone has enabled HDR+ on the LG's wide angle. Still trying to see which one works best. Currently I am using cstark27_GCam_5.1.018_24_TAT_v3 (cstark27, 2018-01-21, no config needed, changelog)

This one is LG specific and doesn't need those crazy settings like the HDR algo.

However this cam has a few bugs. HDR+ low light had a magenta hue to it.

The one which Manson is using is the older one from here: https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...ra-hdr-ported/

This was the first version done by B-S-G but was mainly for his Xiaomi Mi5. However it's stable and works on a lot of phones.

The other developer working on the Google camera is Arnova8G2. His apk's are supposedly good.
Old 27th January 2018, 20:31   #26958
Team-BHP Support

Manson & Vidyut, I think my Nokia 8 has magically transformed itself into a Pixel 2. Some experiments with Google Camera mod app below (Reduced image quality, original jpeg is 7 MB):

Sample 1:

Stock camera app: Note the blur in photo because of fast moving traffic

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_182627.jpg

Google Camera app: HDR+ Enhanced, Traffic appears stationary, that Innova and Tiago were probably moving at 40 kmph.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_182649.jpg

Sample 2:

Stock Camera app: Traffic after dark, HDR On.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_184532.jpg

Google Camera app: HDR+ Enhanced, Traffic after dark, very minimal blur, vehicles appear almost stationary

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_184456.jpg

Sample 3:

Stock camera app: Dusk, inside a room

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_174344.jpg

Google camera app: HDR+ Enhanced, Inside a room, same time as above

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_174315.jpg

Disadvantages of HDR+ Enhanced mode:

1) Takes approx 1 second to process
2) Drains battery slightly faster
3) Warms up the phone a bit

Did some research. All the above issues are likely to resolved in Oreo 8.1 update (currently in Beta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There are many many versions. This is the repository of all the releases:
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...google-camera/
You need to search XDA for nokia 8 working ones.
Will do some R&D tomorrow. The app I have crashes occasionally in video mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Looks like I've discovered the perfect fix for the Nokia 8 camera. The Google / Pixel camera app.
Quote:
I found one for LG G6 specific. As in the colours are calibrated for the G6 sensor. Someone has enabled HDR+ on the LG's wide angle.
Yours is 1st gen Pixel camera app right? Does it have HDR+ Enhanced mode?

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th January 2018 at 20:48.
Old 27th January 2018, 22:49   #26959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yours is 1st gen Pixel camera app right? Does it have HDR+ Enhanced mode?
Yes mine has HDR+ enhanced and also has the portrait mode which the one Manson has does not as it's much older.

Also avoid HDR+ enhanced in low light conditions. You will see it has a strong magenta / purple tinge to it. The developers have not been able to correct this yet. Same problem on my Lg G6.

On the other hand, my really old Nexus 5X has an app called Camera NX that works brilliantly. Rock stable and has portrait mode that whoops the LG G6 camera!!! I feel like going back to my Nexus 5X now! The camera is producing so much better pics and it runs latest 8.1 Oreo. My LG G6 is stuck on 7.

Made up my mind that I will stick to Pixel in future only. The Nexus is just crazy good now.
Old 27th January 2018, 23:27   #26960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Made up my mind that I will stick to Pixel in future only.
While I do get the advantages of owning a Pixel, there are a few question marks -

1) Uninspiring designs. They frankly look like Rs. 10,000 phones.

2) No dual sim capability. Having a Vodafone/Idea + Airtel SIM connection is useful for those who are dependent on Google Maps for travel. When one SIM is out of network zone, the other one usually steps up.

3) If there is a hardware issue (screen replacement or battery replacement) with Pixel, are there any authorized service centers for support? I guess Nexus owners can take their phones to LG.
Old 27th January 2018, 23:33   #26961
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I do get the advantages of owning a Pixel, there are a few question marks -

1) Uninspiring designs. They frankly look like Rs. 10,000 phones.
True but the Nexus 5X and my current Lg G6 is also more function over form. The G6 looks like the new Vivo. Sigh.

Quote:
2) No dual sim capability. Having a Vodafone/Idea + Airtel SIM connection is useful for those who are dependent on Google Maps for travel. When one SIM is out of network zone, the other one usually steps up.
Not applicable in my case as I have never had more than 1 SIM. The dual sim slot is a waste in my G6 as well as the SD card slot. These are 2 things I never even look at.

Quote:
3) If there is a hardware issue (screen replacement or battery replacement) with Pixel, are there any authorized service centers for support? I guess Nexus owners can take their phones to LG.
Pixel 2 should be HTC service centre and the Pixel 2 XL should be LG. I was taking my Nexus 5X to Lg. I had 2 motherboards replaced under warranty.

On another note, Developer ArtZ has released a new V2 version of the Google camera for the G6 : https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1331

I just tried this out now and it's perfect. That tinge is almost negligible in HDR+ enhanced and the app looks and feels like a stock Pixel camera app. No algo settings as well. It also has portrait mode.
Old 28th January 2018, 01:24   #26962
BHPian

Guys, need some help. I have a Galaxy S5-LTE (SM-G900I) which does not support VOLTE in stock form. Is there any custom (or other country's stock) ROM that can be flashed to enable VOLTE on my device? Thanks in advance!
Old 28th January 2018, 07:59   #26963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The sale passed off peacefully, without me buying either the OP5T or View 10 or V30+.

However I ended up buying the Honor 9 Lite at exactly 12:00AM on sale day. Now I know why they have these flash sales. People end up buying even when they do not intend to buy. 90 minutes later, the phone was shipped! Anyway my wife needed a phone and I could palm it off to her. Except...

My wife refused to take it cos she found it too fragile, with the glass back. With our 3 year old frequently throwing her MI4i around, it was too risky, she thought.

The Honor 9 Lite is definitely a surprise package. I got the 3GB version as I found that it was more VFM (at 11K) than the 4GB version (4K more).

The package had a frosted poly-carbonate back cover which looks decent, but alas no screen protector pre-applied, unlike some other Honor phones that do not have gorilla glass.

Surprise, the 9 Lite has a gyro sensor unlike the 7X and the more expensive 9i.

Are you looking for this?
Thanks. Yes that was the one I was looking for. After some serious "debugging", found the number was saved with the number in the contacts list. Hence it looked like the number was not saved.

I too have the same risks , but took a chance since I wanted the new phone to have a min 64 GB storage, with decent camera, and preferably Oreo since it would last with couple of years with decent options. And this ticked all the options, also the fact it was released this year was added bonus.
Old 28th January 2018, 09:54   #26964
BHPian

Quote:
T

The Honor 9 Lite is definitely a surprise package. I got the 3GB version as I found that it was more VFM (at 11K) than the 4GB version (4K more).
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thanks. Yes that was the one I was looking for. After some serious "debugging", found the number was saved with the number in the contacts list. Hence it looked like the number was not saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I also got my 9i yesterday and first impressions is I am loving it.

While setting up Apps and data there was a small glitch as Phone Clone was not connecting in my Moto G4 Plus even after trying 5 times. But then went ahead and did the cloning using CLONEit App which was a breeze to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I purchased the Honor 9i last weekend primarily because:]

I have been using my Honor 9i for almost a month now and I am loving the screen, camera quality (much better than what I have used till date, my last phone was Moto G4 Plus) and neat yet customisable UI.

But below are the negatives I faced:

- Drains battery like anything, I am not even getting a full day charge

- No fast charging

- Most annoying one is the contacts sync. I was able to sync my all Google contacts but horror started after that. Lots of contacts merged by itself into a totally unrelated contact name, for ex: Ram contact got merged with Satish contact. For over a month now I had a very tough time segregating the contacts. There are still a lots of contacts having more than one number which is most probably cases of wrong merging, almost everyday I do the segregating when I am not finding some number and with great difficulty realise it's merged with something else.

Anyone facing this last issue?

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 28th January 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Added another quote
Old 28th January 2018, 11:06   #26965
BHPian

Quote:
I too have the same risks , but took a chance since I wanted the new phone to have a min 64 GB storage, with decent camera, and preferably Oreo since it would last with couple of years with decent options. And this ticked all the options, also the fact it was released this year was added bonus.
Oreo option is sweet. If info on the internet is to be believed, it supports Project Treble. Hope that leads to faster updates. I do hope they tweak the camera to reduce over exposure and fix saturation issues in a future update.
Quote:
- No fast charging
Really annoying, this. I am not finding enough time to keep it plugged in, it very rarely sees 100%. Guess these are some of the things you miss compared to the flagships.

Also, I never thought I'd be saying this. With the USB-C gone, I don't have to worry about finding a charger when am in office, in the car or at some friend's place.
Quote:
- Most annoying one is the contacts sync. I was able to sync my all Google contacts but horror started after that. Lots of contacts merged by itself into a totally unrelated contact name, for ex: Ram contact got merged with Satish contact. For over a month now I had a very tough time segregating the contacts. There are still a lots of contacts having more than one number which is most probably cases of wrong merging, almost everyday I do the segregating when I am not finding some number and with great difficulty realise it's merged with something else.

Anyone facing this last issue?

KK
A quick glance at my contacts list shows everything in order. Maybe when I am looking for a particular contact, I might find it missing.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:58   #26966
BHPian

Guys - Need Help !!

I should have posted it in a different thread. But since this is more active and it is related to Android i shall post here

I have a kindle fire hd and i loaded a custom rom. The device is now called a Tate and was working perfectly till my son decided to reset it. Obviously resetting it caused it to get bricked. I now have the device which can start up, but then moves on to the red brick screen. I picked up a fastboot cable to get it unbricked. The issue i am having is that i am not able to get the device loaded onto my pc (read recognize). I downloaded the ADB interface, but it keeps saying it is not loading.

Are there any chaps who had similar issues , who are savy and are in bangalore. Can you guys help me in troubleshooting. If need be, we can meet up to do this together. Do let me know

By the way, i actually forgot which ROM i installed as well. Dumb of me, huh
Old 29th January 2018, 14:12   #26967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But below are the negatives I faced:
- Drains battery like anything, I am not even getting a full day charge
- No fast charging
- Most annoying one is the contacts sync.
Quote:
I am not finding enough time to keep it plugged in, it very rarely sees 100%.
I haven't had any issues with battery life even when I am on 4G all day. Probably because I have configured app updates only when screen is on.
Old 29th January 2018, 14:54   #26968
BHPian

Quote:
...also the fact it was released this year was added bonus.
Did you apply a screen protector on the screen? All the ones I see in Flipkart seems to have issues with the fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I haven't had any issues with battery life even when I am on 4G all day. Probably because I have configured app updates only when screen is on.
No, mine is not an issue with battery life. With the Nexus 5X I just had to plug in for about 1 hour in the evening and about 30 mins in the morning. It was quick to charge. The 9 Lite takes longer.
Old 29th January 2018, 17:30   #26969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Guys - Need Help !!

I should have posted it in a different thread. But since this is more active and it is related to Android i shall post here

The issue i am having is that i am not able to get the device loaded onto my pc (read recognize). I downloaded the ADB interface, but it keeps saying it is not loading.

By the way, i actually forgot which ROM i installed as well. Dumb of me, huh
Are you able to get to the fastboot screen? Once you plug in the kindle with fastboot mode and type fastboot devices in cmd, are you able to see a string in output? I'm assuming you know the intermediary steps for getting to the cmd prompt.

If you are able to see the fastboot screen but cmd is not giving any result then check if device drivers are installed or not.
Old 29th January 2018, 18:24   #26970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Are you able to get to the fastboot screen? Once you plug in the kindle with fastboot mode and type fastboot devices in cmd, are you able to see a string in output? I'm assuming you know the intermediary steps for getting to the cmd prompt.

If you are able to see the fastboot screen but cmd is not giving any result then check if device drivers are installed or not.
Hi Lordvader - i am able to see the fastboot screen. But i am not able to instal the device drivers on the laptop. I downloaded the android sdk kit + google usb drivers, still no juice. I think i am one step away, but i am not able to crack that 1st step.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks