Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 14:07   #31321
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you are looking for fuss free Android experience for long duration then get only the pure Android, not those heavily bloated and over skinned variants of the Android which will later make you curse the Android while comparing it against the past experience with iOS.

Currently you can get Google Pixel 6 on Amazon India, probably an imported device but will be good enough for few years with assured updates. Photography on smartphone mostly depends on the software processing, and nothing beats Google camera app in this department.

You can also consider the Motorola Edge series…
I used the Pixel 2 XL for two+ years and did not find a worthy successor for that while looking for a change (and hence moved back to iOS). The phone is still going strong (my mom is using it in India now). I was checking on the Pixel 6/6 Pro yesterday but unfortunately it is not available through any telco here in Singapore. The only option is to order via Google Store but spending SGD 1,300/ INR 73,000 (for the pro) on a phone upfront is steep.

Not looking at the Motorola. I normally prefer to stay with iPhone/Pixel or Samsung S models. Camera setup and overall smoothness is very important for me. The last phone I had outside this trio was the LG G3 (which was quite an awesome device back then).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I am talking about Android only and for that if you want best overall experience with the best screen/camera Samsung is the only option.
This is more like the case now. I actually rate the Pixel experience much higher than the Samsung flagships, but it is more like a niche device, especially where I live. And the impact is seen even more when I look for a trade-in – unlike iPhone or Samsung S models, the Pixel is a depreciation disaster. I would have still got it if made available via a telco provider.
Old 12th March 2022, 18:34   #31322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Motorola is the only way to go if you want the new pixel features that were introduced in Android 12. I am waiting for the 12 update in my Edge 20 and despite promising a Feb release, the update is nowhere in sight. Yet I'd rather wait rather than getting another buggy update. The phone came with severe touch screen issues that got fixed after the Dec update. Post update the phone is doing well - very fast and fluid despite the midrange chipset.

I was in half mind to get the Edge 30 pro only for an early access to Android 12, but Flipkart increased the price in the name of Holi sales.
I am considering Moto edge 20 fusion. However, there have been bad experiences with Moto in my family and with my friends which is making me to rethink. How is your experience? I am looking for mobile with good hardware and processeor so that I can use atleast for three years. I am skeptical about all these OPPOs, Redmi, Realme, Vivo and OnePlus performance over the time. I have never used them and don't want to unless there is a choice.
Old 13th March 2022, 01:56   #31323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
I am considering Moto edge 20 fusion. However, there have been bad experiences with Moto in my family and with my friends which is making me to rethink. How is your experience? I am looking for mobile with good hardware and processeor so that I can use atleast for three years. I am skeptical about all these OPPOs, Redmi, Realme, Vivo and OnePlus performance over the time. I have never used them and don't want to unless there is a choice.
This is my first moto and initial experience was not good because of the touch screen issues. Thankfully they fixed it in the dec update and the Lenovo forum mods pushed the updates to us on priority. I was impressed with the support provided there. Camera in the edge 20 is not that great compared to my earlier OP7, but I can live with it. Screen is good, build is so-so (put a case on), speaker is bad. Overall, you miss the premium vibe. It's more of a workhorse than a lifestyle gadget - not that I mind.

Whether performance will degrade I can tell after I get the 12 update. Still waiting.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 08:18   #31324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
I am considering Moto edge 20 fusion.
Avoid Fusion, get only Qualcomm SOC based Edge 20 or 20 pro. Motorola-Mediatek track record has not been great in terms of software support and device longevity. Motorola even experimented with Samsung Exynos which also did not succeed. But their Qualcomm based devices usually have been nice and long lasting.
tbppjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:53   #31325
Oxy
BHPian

For someone who is allergic to bloatware, does it make sense to source a Pixel from the US? Since the phone hasn't been released in India, spares availability and service is a worry.

Or does it make better sense to settle for the Moto Edge X30 Pro or maybe the Samsung S20/S21 FE?
Old 13th March 2022, 16:07   #31326
Distinguished - BHPian

In general, are LG phones worth considering?

Only a casual follower of this thread, but I don't recall them being discussed.
Old 13th March 2022, 16:13   #31327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In general, are LG phones worth considering?

Only a casual follower of this thread, but I don't recall them being discussed.
LG has permanently exited the mobile phone business and is no longer making any smart phones. They announced this in April 2021

https://www.lgnewsroom.com/2021/04/l...ess-worldwide/
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 17:51   #31328
BHPian

Looking to buy a phone for my sister.
Budget of 20k.
Requirements: Good camera, decent battery life and ample storage (expandable memory would be nice to have)

Majorly, the phone would be running WhatsApp and YouTube.

Preferably something that is available on Amazon since I have a coupon.

Requesting the resident gadget gurus to "show me the righteous path."
Old 13th March 2022, 18:08   #31329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
LG has permanently exited the mobile phone business and is no longer making any smart phones. They announced this in April 2021
Wow, I was almost a whole year out of date on that! <Blush>

Thank you!
Old 13th March 2022, 19:02   #31330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Budget of 20k.
Requirements: Good camera, decent battery life and ample storage (expandable memory would be nice to have)

In the sub 20k range Realme has some really good value for money phones which offer good specs and build quality. You can look at the Realme 9 series / 9i or other options too.
Realme is also a BBK company like OnePlus/ Oppo/ Vivo and Iqoo and is very strong in the value segment.
The realme 9 speed edition is one of the new launches at 19.999
https://www.realme.com/in/realme-9-5g-speed-edition

The primary sale platform of Realme is Flipkart and it is not sold directly on Amazon though..

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th March 2022 at 19:09.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 19:32   #31331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Budget of 20k.

I would suggest the newly launched Samsung F23 5G.
Snapdragon 750G
5000mAh battery
6/128GB at 17K.
AjinkyaP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 06:52   #31332
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I got it through a friend from the US. It was an upgrade to the S10 Plus. Camera is just awesome. network and battery needs to be heavily optimised. Wifi calling and Volte work fine on airtel.
I am sitting on the fence with this. As the Pixel 6 is not available/serviceable here in India, where will you go for repairs if something goes wrong?
Old 14th March 2022, 11:44   #31333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am sitting on the fence with this. As the Pixel 6 is not available/serviceable here in India, where will you go for repairs if something goes wrong?
Hmm. I have Pixel 6. It is a mixed experience. It has a strange issue where if you put a call on speakerphone, mic stops working. Tried almost every troubleshooting tip found on the internet but the problem persists. Apart from this issue the phone is stellar, especially the camera. Screen, operational fluidity , feel in hand everything is excellent compared to Galaxy S10, S10e devices we had earlier.

But the speakerphone/mic is a big issue - it basically means you can't have group phone calls. The phone is not officially serviced in India so I am thinking what to do. They constantly roll out system updates so may be in one of those it will be fixed.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:47   #31334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If anything major happens, I can send it with a friend or relative back to the US for service or replacement. Its easily available on Amazon India now at pretty good prices.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:57   #31335
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Hmm. I have Pixel 6. It is a mixed experience. It has a strange issue where if you put a call on speakerphone, mic stops working. Tried almost every troubleshooting tip found on the internet but the problem persists. Apart from this issue the phone is stellar, especially the camera. Screen, operational fluidity , feel in hand everything is excellent compared to Galaxy S10, S10e devices we had earlier.

But the speakerphone/mic is a big issue - it basically means you can't have group phone calls. The phone is not officially serviced in India so I am thinking what to do. They constantly roll out system updates so may be in one of those it will be fixed.
This is a massive deal breaker for me. I will stick to a midrange Samsung or Moto.

Thanks a ton for helping me with the decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks