Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 10:01   #31666
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In similar boat, have to give this to someone.

Under 50K. One Plus phones or best bet with S20FE 5G. SD-865 runs cool, no battery drain issues or heating, phone won't see Wi-Fi connectivity, so not factoring SD-888 or newest SD chipsets.
I too was feeling the need for an Android so got two of 'em .

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-b62a085894204db7801f00ffba973f81.jpg

The Samsung shop owner was saying, there is too much demand for this & the regular S21's as well as S21 FE is not selling because of this phone, so, Samsung may discontinue this. The higher end phones sell as well as the M and F series, but the A as well as lower S series is not selling because of this, this is solely his view about discontinuation which maybe incorrect or correct.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 01:49   #31667

My Samsung M51 received the one UI 4.1 update last month. It's great to see an Android company keeping it's promise to deliver a major Android update in such a short time. Samsung's surely on a roll with updates. Just wanted to know the opinions of BHPIANS regarding this. Do you prefer high end specs in a phone but with a bad update cycle (buggy updates, I'm looking at you OnePlus) or upper Mid range specs with a good update cycle.
Going by my experience with Samsung yet, I'm very happy in the second category.
sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:26   #31668
BHPian

The Nothing phone was launched yesterday with much fanfare, but it's main USP - the Glyph seems more gimmicky than actually useful. Like, why not show those animations directly on the screen than asking you to place the phone face down to watch some LEDs light up?

Unlike What Oneplus One did to the flagships of its time, this one does not seem to be rock any boats. Who wants a "midrange killer" when you have several SD778 phones at mouthwatering prices?

If stock Android is the differentiator, then the Motorola Edge 30 offers pretty much the same value (and some) at a similar price point.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-nothingedge.png

I think they should throw away the Glyph nonsense if that will enable them to price it lower by a couple.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 20:43   #31669

The Nothing Phone 1 is not a value for money phone if you are looking at specifications and we don't know how the 'actual experience' is going to be.

From the point of view of specs,
Snapdragon 778 was available for 20k [Realme GT Master Edition at offer]
Snapdragon 870 was available for 21k [Mi 11x at offer price]
Snapdragon 888 is available for 33k [Iqoo 9 SE]

All these are good smartphones and not something which is focus only on performance.
Its better to wait and not fall for the hype created by Nothing.
The21st is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 12:13   #31670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
If stock Android is the differentiator, then the Motorola Edge 30 offers pretty much the same value (and some) at a similar price point.
Or maybe consider the Moto Edge 20 pro with SD 870 (the last good flagship by Qualcomm) and the additional telephoto camera which is quite attractive at the current price.

Both the phones have active GCAM communities on Telegram and the results with the GCAM app are surprisingly good, although the Edge 30 main camera shines better.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:14   #31671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I have ordered Poco F4. My wife's Samsung M30s was also getting old.
I recommended the Poco F4 for a relative and he has been liking the phone.
I got the chance to take some pictures and liked the Camera as well for the price paid.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220710_160003.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220710_160008.png
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 08:53   #31672
BHPian

Quote:

I think they should throw away the Glyph nonsense if that will enable them to price it lower by a couple.
Nothing Phone 1 has surprisingly good reviews from almost all reliable (both India and abroad) reviewers on YouTube.

Two cons in my opinion that they need to definitely address -

1. Lack of charger - surely they could have removed the wireless charging and replaced it with a physical charger and kept the price the same
2. No physical ports/points for audio!
Old 16th July 2022, 11:51   #31673
Senior - BHPian

So, yesterday when I came back from gym in the morning suddenly my Samsung F62 started glitching. The touch wasn't responding correctly and everything was opening and closing itself. So I took it to the Samsung Service center. They formatted it first to see if it helps. It didn't. So, they said display has to be changed. Cost quoted was 7k. I was planning to change the phone by Diwali so thought about it and went for the repair as even after buying a new phone I will keep this as a backup. They gave it back in 2 hours and it's working absolutely fine now.

I am a little disappointed with Samsung. This phone was out of warranty in March end. The charging port malfunctioned in May for which I paid 1500 around. Now display had to be changed for 7k. For a phone just 15 months in it's life this is quite disappointing. Otherwise the phone has been brilliant and it has a 7000mah battery, my primary reason I am not switching yet.

About Nothing phone.

I am not impressed. Glyph is a gimmick, and 99% people will use a case so that gimmick won't be useful much. Snapdragon 870 is the best of the lot and couple of phones are giving it in lower price than Nothing with 778+ processor. Purely on specs there are better phone in same or lower price bracket. About the looks, majority will like it cos it's a straight lift off from IPhone.

Last edited by harry10 : 16th July 2022 at 11:54.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:12   #31674
BHPian

Nothing Phone (1) is all show and no go. It is an iPhone wannabe as far as I can tell. Though some people might like it, android OS in iphone 13 pro max sized body but considering it's the debut phone from Nothing, the price is undeniably high. I can see some people buying it for the glyph LEDs on the back for attention but people like me would prefer to keep it off

I frankly didn't expect this from Carl Pei. While oneplus phones were nothing more than oppo phones modified for better performance and sold at value prices, they had an element of innovation in them and were not direct rip-offs of oppo. Oppo ended up killing oneplus and Carl Pei had this opportunity to revive oneplus of the old. They could have thrown in a 888 processor then it would've been good but as things stand today, it's just another 778 chip phone that copies iphone from head to toe. It's not a problem but I just expected new design from og oneplus founder.

In my opinion, the last best oneplus device was the 7/7t pro. It achieved things in 2019 that iphone and even today's androids are dreaming about(big and burly amoled with no notches and holes with true hdr10 certification in Netflix and prime). Introduced high refresh rate, ufs 3 storage(basically SSD), Dolby atmos stereo speakers, 30w charging, practical camera system(no 2mp crap) and a solid body to match. And is confirmed for Android 12. It's a treat to watch movies on it. People still ask about this almost 3 year old phone and I have since purchased a Nord2(this one absolutely sucks), iphone 13 etc but I keep coming back to it. It is the single best phone I have ever used and money well spent. My unit still works flawlessly and I will keep it till it coughs and dies on it's own or 5g becomes mandatory.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20220221210739.jpg
Ps. Sorry for the essay

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 18th July 2022 at 14:20.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:34   #31675
Team-BHP Support

I love the camera on my Samsung S22 Ultra.

All the pics in this review (Bajaj Pulsar N160 Review)are taken using the phone.

The IP68 rating was the peace of mind I needed to carry and use it during the heavy rains I encountered during this ride.

However, I got myself a 10K POwer Bank because I sorely miss that incredible charging speed of my old 1+ 7Pro.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:38   #31676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
However, I got myself a 10K POwer Bank because I sorely miss that incredible charging speed of my old 1+ 7Pro.
The new s22s are worthy phones. The pics were crystal clear and good looking in that review. Felt like they were from a pro grade DSLR(that s22 ultra costs as much if not more).
What happened to the oneplus though? And how would you as a user rate s22's camera compared to the 7 pro?

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 18th July 2022 at 14:40.
Old 18th July 2022, 14:51   #31677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverNo.420 View Post
The new s22s are worthy phones. The pics were crystal clear and good looking in that review. Felt like they were from a pro grade DSLR(that s22 ultra costs as much if not more).
What happened to the oneplus though? And how would you as a user rate s22's camera compared to the 7 pro?
My 1+ 7 Pro had a small crack in the rear panel. I once had it in my back pocket and sat down.

For a long time this was not an issue until my phone got into a lot of water and drowned.

The S22 camera and everything except battery charging time is leagues ahead of the 1+ 7 Pro.

The speed and response of UI etc is awesome.
Features like Dex, which I use are extremely useful.
Old 18th July 2022, 19:01   #31678
BHPian

I used my daughters MI 11 Lite for some time and felt that it was a refreshing change from the bland and boring stock Android in my Moto. So I decided to set it up as my primary phone. But the enthusiasm didn't last long. As soon as I had installed a few of my work apps, the stutters started. After an hour I ditched it and went back to my Moto.

Google has been working on stock Android for ages now, but still it looks like somebody's high school project. I agree that it has improved a quite a lot, but how long will he have to wait until we get something as beautiful and functional as iOS?

MIUI looks much better than stock Android, but it is a memory hog. Plus all the junk in it slows the phone down. Android phones have good hardware, but the OS is heavy. What a new brand like Nothing should do is buy the hardware from Realme/Redmi and create a lean but beautiful looking OS based on Android. Asking for much?
Old 18th July 2022, 20:08   #31679
BHPian

Quote:
Google has been working on stock Android for ages now, but still it looks like somebody's high school project. I agree that it has improved a quite a lot, but how long will he have to wait until we get something as beautiful and functional as iOS?
Which version of Android are you on? Android 12 is refreshing and seems like Google has found the right direction with it after so many years.

I have used the Android 12 on Motorola as well as using it on Pixel 6 and found that Google has hit the right cord with the Android 12 which has got major UI overhaul after the last one carried out during the Android 4.X to Android 5.

Never been a fan of those iPhone style UIs found in the MIs or the UI found in Samsungs, they are so confusing with the plethora of useless bloatwares.

Stock Android already has got so many things going on and then those additional duplicate apps and services injected by the manufacturers are just too much. Most of those UIs have deleted the app drawer which somehow reduces the functionalities.

Separate app drawer style UI is better suited for Android since its far more vast, open and customization OS compared to the iOS.

Although I miss the capability of changing the icon styles which was available there in the developer options atleast, not a fan of the circular icons. Thought they will provide this option officially in the later iterations of Android but they eventually removed it completely even from the developer options in Android 12.

One area where Google needs to work is resource management and optimization of the OS and the third party apps. Today's smartphones with so much RAM and so much CPU power may be running the Android smoothly but thats not the way a smartphone should work.

To put an example, Android 12 on Pixel 6 consumes 5+ GB of RAM, where 2+ GB of RAM is used by the core Android OS services. On the other hand a full fledged Linux OS powered computer barely consumes 1-2 GB of RAM. Things get worsen with the devices having manufacturer specific bloated UIs.

iOS is fairly optimized and they are very strict with the app developers so the apps are also heavily optimized and can run on mediocre hardware of an iPhone bought many years ago which is not a thing with the Android.

Android being derived from the Linux seems to be going in the opposite direction of it's father in terms of resource management and security.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 18th July 2022 at 20:10.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 20:58   #31680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Which version of Android are you on? Android 12 is refreshing and seems like Google has found the right direction with it after so many years.

I have used the Android 12 on Motorola as well as using it on Pixel 6 and found that Google has hit the right cord with the Android 12 which has got major UI overhaul after the last one carried out during the Android 4.X to Android 5.
Yes, Android 12 looks a lot better than 11, yet nowhere close to iOS when it comes to usability and cohesiveness of design. For example look at the quick toggle bar - another version of Android = another quick toggle design. And still it sticks out from the rest of the design language. Then look at the stock apps. The dialer app is one of the ugliest with that dark grey theme and funky colored text. Same with the Messages app. The Setting app finally looks good, I should admit that.

I think all Google applications - Mail, Maps, Photos etc are a tad mediocre in the looks department. Even the short-lived Windows phone had better UI compared to the latest Android iteration.
Quote:
Never been a fan of those iPhone style UIs found in the MIs or the UI found in Samsungs, they are so confusing with the plethora of useless bloatwares.
I think MIUI and OneUI (I have it in my Galaxy Tab) looks much better compared to stock Android, but I can't stand the ads and bloatware that they add.
Quote:
iOS is fairly optimized and they are very strict with the app developers so the apps are also heavily optimized and can run on mediocre hardware of an iPhone bought many years ago which is not a thing with the Android.
iOS has BSD underneath while Android has Linux. So they started pretty much at the same starting line. Both of them run their apps sandboxed, but I guess one major difference is that iOS apps are native to the OS while Android apps run on a virtual machine (please correct me if I am wrong). One common argument is that Apple has only certain hardware to support. But then that is the case with Pixel devices as well. Why can't Google optimize Android for their devices like Apple does to iOS?

Last edited by dragonfire : 18th July 2022 at 21:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks