Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 11:59   #31696
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Well, after posting the above, I went back to the camera settings, and there is an option to set it at 8MP / 4MP. The normal for rear is 12MP.
Interestingly its not just the reduced resolution, but its quad pixel. Means its averaging out 4 pixels by merging and converting them into one bigger pixel. So Ideally you should get better and cleaner images at this resolution.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 22:32   #31697
BHPian

My in laws purchased Samsung M53 for 28500 at Croma last Saturday (same price as Amazon) and today in Prime early deal the same phone is 17500

I told them to wait for prime deals in a week. When I read the spec of the phone it is nothing to write about and told them to get S20 FE for few thousand more in case its urgent. Looks like Croma didn't have stock and so they just picked up M53. Impulsive shoppers!!!

Here I am still procrastinating about getting S20 FE or not.
Old 20th July 2022, 23:30   #31698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
My in laws purchased Samsung M53 for 28500 at Croma last Saturday (same price as Amazon) and today in Prime early deal the same phone is 17500

I told them to wait for prime deals in a week. When I read the spec of the phone it is nothing to write about and told them to get S20 FE for few thousand more in case its urgent. Looks like Croma didn't have stock and so they just picked up M53. Impulsive shoppers!!!

Here I am still procrastinating about getting S20 FE or not.
I believe you are confusing M53 and M33.
M53 still starts at 24,999 on Amazon. It's M33 which is available at 17,999.

S20 FE is a good phone but it's old now and updates will be less as well for it.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 08:51   #31699
Senior - BHPian

Google Pixel 6a is officially launched in India.

Press Release

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-smartselect_20220721085018_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st July 2022 at 08:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 09:06   #31700
BHPian

40K for Pixel 6a makes Pixel 6 look better at the price of around 42-45K which has got better camera and display, downside is no warranty and probably no after sales service.
Old 21st July 2022, 10:57   #31701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Google Pixel 6a is officially launched in India.

Press Release

Attachment 2336667

Link
The price is definitely enticing after the offers (34K?) when you consider the fact that it offers the same chipset as the flagship Pixel 6 and Pro. Contrast that with the Nothing phone that offers a midrange chip at about the same price point.

There is nothing else to find fault with except the somewhat thick chin which is so out of place in 2022.

Last edited by dragonfire : 21st July 2022 at 11:17.
Old 21st July 2022, 21:11   #31702
BHPian

Quote:
As I already have an iPhone 13, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money...

I have ordered Poco F4.
I ended up cancelling Poco F4 and then placed the order for the Nothing phone. I received it today.

The phone is pretty good and I am not so sure that it really deserves so much of criticism. While it isn't really the VFM that Poco F4 is, I am happy to buy this. Poco has an industrial Chinese phone design. This looks and feels different with a clean UI reminiscent of Oneplus's initial years. This is closest to OP 3 that I had, with good build, design and UI.

Probably the first time that I am buying an android phone without a flagship chipset, so not sure how this is going to age in my hands.

Last edited by atnyia : 21st July 2022 at 21:21.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 21:48   #31703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I ended up cancelling Poco F4 and then placed the order for the Nothing phone. I received it today.

Probably the first time that I am buying an android phone without a flagship chipset, so not sure how this is going to age in my hands.
Can you please post a review of the camera. I'm sort of sold on the phone, but the camera is very important.
Maybe if you could post a couple of shots too.
Big help.
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:07   #31704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm sort of sold on the phone, but the camera is very important.
For the photos, there is Pixel.

Mobile photography is more about AI and inbuilt image processing than the hardware where Google shines better than others. Even the Google camera app does magic in other mobiles if you can find reliably working modded app.

Pixel 4, 5 and 6a have the same camera hardware. Pixel 6 and 6pro got newer and better main sensors which will continue in next few generations.

Uploading few full resolution samples from the Pixel 6 using the stock camera app. The fort photo is slightly touched up (color and contrast) in the Google Photos app, rest two are straight out of the mobile:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20220710_023530051.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20220714_101045261b.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20220717_0106077523.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 22nd July 2022 at 08:23.
tbppjpr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:21   #31705
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone ordered the 6a that was released yesterday? I am planning to buy it, but not been able to locate anyone with a Flipkart Axis Bank card yet. If anyone here has the card, please get in touch with me.
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:59   #31706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you please post a review of the camera. I'm sort of sold on the phone, but the camera is very important.
Check out the Samsung S22 (or the S22 plus). The camera is brilliant and not far from Pixel 6 or iPhone 13 Pro quality.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:45   #31707
BHPian

Android Support for Hearing Aid (ASHA)

Have been on the lookout for some info on this for my father who has been using Hearing Aid for a while.

Earlier he was using a Siemens make aid and last year we moved to Widex. The main issue he faced is while streaming music or taking calls from mobile.

Has to each time get rid of the hearing aid and wear a earphone since clarity is missing via speaker. Now here comes the interesting part. Widex started offering hearing aid compatibility with the iPhone and quite recently on some Android devices running version 11 or higher. They call it ASHA support.

Now, I'm looking for help for list of all phones since their brochure has limited phones mentioned which is guaranteed to work and others may or may not.

Planning to upgrade his existing Mi phone to a better Android but don't have the budget of OP 9's or the S21/22 series.

Can anyone share their / family experience of using hearing aid for direct streaming on Android phones
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20220721wa0028.jpg  

pareshraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:32   #31708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Android Support for Hearing Aid (ASHA)

Planning to upgrade his existing Mi phone to a better Android but don't have the budget of OP 9's or the S21/22 series.
The Phonak Naida hearing aid has Bluetooth, and its app "myPhonak" works pretty well with the Google Pixel 4a.
As long as the phone supports Bluetooth v5.0, it is good enough to stream music & calls.
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2022, 13:33   #31709
BHPian

Quote:
Big help.
This is my secondary phone and I have an iPhone for the photos. I have used GCams for a very long time. But, in my personal opinion, iPhones are easier to use. Just point and shoot and you have a good picture.

I would suggest to look for Samsung FE series phones as a second choice, or buy Oppo Reno series. I wouldn't buy Pixels as battery backup can be poor at times.

Coming back to Nothing phone, couple of guys looked at the phone and this does feel premium. People confuse it with an iPhone Pro Max. It's hard to quantify the 'feeling' but the vibe is the same as of an iPhone. Perfectly put together when you hold it in your hand.

Outdoors:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220722_080313115.jpeg
Indoors:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220722_113923896.jpeg

Color reproduction is good but my photos are for some reason compressed. So, not a lot of details. Need to check out camera settings.
atnyia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:59   #31710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Can anyone share their / family experience of using hearing aid for direct streaming on Android phones
My hearing aids are not very feature-rich and do not have bluetooth --- but were still expensive enough that I am not keen on any upgrade whilst they continue to work!

It might be that bluetooth, streaming straight to aid, is better than listening to music in the ordinary sense. Generally, I find that music and hearing aids is poor experience. features such as transposing frequencies one can't hear down to frequencies that one can, tend to mangle music somewhat.

Most Viewed