Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 09:18   #2656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Thanks Xehaust . Can you suggest me some good devices . I will be buying it from US.
Depends on what type of a phone you like & your budget

Touchscreen - The Storm 2

QWERTY Keyboards:
Cheapest (but in no way any compromise) - The Curve 8520
An updated Curve 8520 (with 3G) - The Curve 3G
Something a little more premium - The Bold 2 (9700)

Finally, a hybrid (Touchscreen + Full QWERTY keyboard) as well the newest BB (Plus it has OS 6 ) - The Torch.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2010, 11:31   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Thanks Xehaust . Can you suggest me some good devices . I will be buying it from US .

Super Noob Question What is the basic difference between a BB and say a smart phone Example e71? What are the advantages of BB over it?
Only two things actually. Fastest email and Im services. In india the BB's run the full edge 248kbit whereas everyone else runs on 160kbit edge. (info from a network management guy *not my own*)
And about the handset like the good ol chris bangle 5series beemer you either love it or loathe it.

Me? I watch movies on my 8520 and I love it for that. Torrent download of 700 mb file. Copy to videos folder (without conversion) plug headphones and voila watch movie!
Old 19th September 2010, 15:54   #2658
Senior - BHPian

I am right now trying to upgrade my 8900 to OS 5 . I downloaded the OS and installed on a window pc - deleted the vendor.xml file and used the apploader in the RIM folder - all went well but now it's been more than 25 minutes , it's stuck at the 2nd last step "wait for device initialisation" ---- does it take this much of time ?
Old 19th September 2010, 16:21   #2659
BHPian

As long as your phone is showing the loading progress bar (which is actually progressing ), its alright.
Old 19th September 2010, 16:24   #2660
Senior - BHPian

It showed the progress bar for some time and then on it's showing the T-Mobile start up screen in grey and pink - is anything wrong ?

Also the app loader screen on the pc is stuck on 4 green bars - not progressing from there on ------ I'm getting a bad feeling now !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 19th September 2010 at 16:29.
Old 19th September 2010, 17:02   #2661
BHPian

Try disconnecting your phone from the computer & doing a battery pull. If it works, your done, if not, you will have to reinstall the OS again.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:43   #2662
oss
BHPian

5.0.0.592 or 5.0.0.822 ?

I am currently running v5.0.0.592 on my BB 8520. Wondering if i should upgrade it to 5.0.0.822. One benefit people have mentioned is faster boot time in 822.

After upgrading to 592 i found the batter life becoming too bad - as it is 8520 battery drains fast, but after 592 i feel it is draining rapidly.

Has anyone in the forum tried 822? Any feedback on how good or bad this version is and what additional benefits i can expect over 592?
Old 20th September 2010, 10:40   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Try disconnecting your phone from the computer & doing a battery pull. If it works, your done, if not, you will have to reinstall the OS again.
I disconnected the phone form the pc and it didn't work.

So I started the DM and connected the phone - DM did not recognise the phone and asked me if I wanted to update the OS - I clicked yes and it gave me 2 choices - the one OS 5 I had already installed and one that DM would download.

I clicked on the one DM wanted to download - and it did the rest.

I am on OS 5 now.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:47   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I am currently running v5.0.0.592 on my BB 8520. Wondering if i should upgrade it to 5.0.0.822. One benefit people have mentioned is faster boot time in 822.

After upgrading to 592 i found the batter life becoming too bad - as it is 8520 battery drains fast, but after 592 i feel it is draining rapidly.

Has anyone in the forum tried 822? Any feedback on how good or bad this version is and what additional benefits i can expect over 592?
to be honest i downgraded from there thats the wind hellas update you have right??

i came down to 509 you will find that 592 has been pulled down from the download page on wind hellas. i have a friend on 592 and his usage and mine are about the same yet i have better batt life.

and 822 if am correct (please correct if i am not) is from the singapore tele website!

i had the singapore tele versions on vodafone i used to keep getting invalid sim or sim not registered and a BPL used to fix it. but you cant do like 20 BPL's a day right? so now i stay away from the singapore tele ones completely!
Old 20th September 2010, 20:35   #2665
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
to be honest i downgraded from there thats the wind hellas update you have right??

i came down to 509 you will find that 592 has been pulled down from the download page on wind hellas. i have a friend on 592 and his usage and mine are about the same yet i have better batt life.

and 822 if am correct (please correct if i am not) is from the singapore tele website!

i had the singapore tele versions on vodafone i used to keep getting invalid sim or sim not registered and a BPL used to fix it. but you cant do like 20 BPL's a day right? so now i stay away from the singapore tele ones completely!
What's a BPL?

592 is available from Vodafone India as well as in the blackberry site itself now (use the Vodafone Essar link shown under APAC region)

If 822 doesn't work out, i think i too would downgrade to 509. 592 sucks bigtime
Old 20th September 2010, 21:32   #2666
BHPian

BPL= Battery Pull Restart. I believe an old theory if it aint broke don't fix it! Just a caution
Old 20th September 2010, 21:59   #2667
BHPian

I am using BB services from Airtel through an offer to have access to Emails and Messenger services by paying Rs 100 for 6 months and 299pm there after.Downloaded messengers, works well, no issues so far.
Old 21st September 2010, 01:02   #2668
BHPian

Guys, Any news on the Blackberry 4G.

Release likely December 2010.

Say hello...to the first ever Blackberry 4G with an app store...The Blackberry Triton! The unofficial name (Triton) suits it well as it will be without a doubt, the best blackberry ever... strong, fast, and elite.
The new 4G Blackberry does not have a home yet, so which network will get it first is unknown. AT&T is building a 4G network, so is Verizon Wireless (LTE)...but Sprint already has a 4G network and T-Mobile is not too far behind. If all goes as expected, 4G speeds will be 4 to 8 times faster than 3G network rates today, with coverage available over broader areas. The Blackberry Triton should be made with both CDMA and GSM technology, making it compatible on all U.S. Carriers.
No more downloading apps from websites, using desktop managers to install and remove items or typing out a credit card number on your phone, unless you want to of course, but why would you when you can access the app store right from your phone! With Blackberry App World, you can get the best applications, instantly.

This Blackberry is set to have a sleek, modern design with a touch of the Blackberry Storm in it's functionality. The functions for the phone itself are an enhanced version of the Storm, such as accessing the phone book, calendar, etc... but the home screen is wide open for you to customize with applications from the new Blackberry App World. The new Blackberry Triton has app makers scrambling to write the best applications possible to be worthy of the Blackberry line.
List of possible features:
Mini Camera on front for Video Chat

High Definition 5.0 Mega Pixel Camera
High Definition Camcorder
High Definition Audio
HD Memory Card

OLED Screen
Multi-Touch Navigation
True GPS
Youtube

Blackberry App World

Get ready to customize your blackberry in way you never imagined. Download the Facebook application right to your Blackberry Triton...add the Bloomberg application to keep up on the financial world. Want a mortgage calculator? A pharmacology guide?...or just about anything you can imagine... simply access the Blackberry App World and it's yours in seconds. This app store and phone will work a lot like the iPhone in terms of downloading applications.
Surf the web, stream live video, audio, download movies, games and video chat live at lightining speeds.
Multi Touch Navigation makes it almost impossible to select the wrong function from the touch screen. Using multi touch technology, the screen is able to register multiple points being selected at one time which makes viewing and selecting material effortless.

The Blackberry Triton has quite a few unique features possible. The home screen buttons have been updated to reflect a more modern, exciting interaction in order to place a call or surf the web!
Who's network should the new Blackberry 4G be on? Not sure about AT&T, they are bogged down enough with iPhone... Sprint has the best and cheapest calling plans...but poor coverage... what do you think? Comment below and see what others are saying.

Source:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-NEW-Blac...-December-2010

---Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 21st September 2010 at 01:04. Reason: had to add the correct link
Old 21st September 2010, 02:04   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how come no one is discussing the Torch??

Its available here in the Grey Market : unlocked for 38k... Is it a fair price?
Old 21st September 2010, 02:32   #2670

I have a Bold 2 with me, and im moving to the UK in the next few days. Should I give his to someone here and buy a Torch there?? does it make sense??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks