Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 00:20   #286
Senior - BHPian

The Vodafone support is decent but 55666 doesnt work at times. Tell them firmly you want the 899 plan and they will let the cat out of the hat.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:16   #287
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Me too planning on switching from Nokia E71 to Blackberry. Was confused on which one to buy. Have shortlisted 3 of them.

1> Blackberry Bold.
2> Blackberry Curve 8900
3> Blackberry Curve 8330.

Which one of these should I buy. I use BPL Mobile and have the following requirements.

1> Blue tooth
2> Contacts to be stored in Business Card form(multiple entries under 1 name)
3> Net Access mainly for mailing(Google account) whilst roaming.
4> Good battery life and Camera

If someone can guide would be really grateful and also the approx prices for the same.

Viper
Old 8th February 2009, 15:18   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

Me too planning on switching from Nokia E71 to Blackberry. Was confused on which one to buy. Have shortlisted 3 of them.

1> Blackberry Bold.
2> Blackberry Curve 8900

Which one of these should I buy. I use BPL Mobile and have the following requirements.

1> Blue tooth
2> Contacts to be stored in Business Card form(multiple entries under 1 name)
3> Net Access mainly for mailing(Google account) whilst roaming.
4> Good battery life and Camera

If someone can guide would be really grateful and also the approx prices for the same.

Viper
If it fits your budget pick up the bold, or else go in for the curve 8900. The 8330 is a CDMA phone and will not work on BPL.

Am off Blackberry for now, had to sell it needed the cash. Feel so terrible
Old 8th February 2009, 16:53   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

1> Blackberry Bold.
2> Blackberry Curve 8900
8900 comes at around 26K and Bold is at 33k. 8900 has a better camera (3.2MP) and is a bit sleeker and smaller than the Bold. Bold has a faster processor, a fantastic screen and a premium look. You cant go bad with either. I been using Bold for around 4 months now, and so far its the best smartphone that i ever had. I would say its worth the premium over 8900.
Old 8th February 2009, 17:13   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
8900 comes at around 26K and Bold is at 33k. 8900 has a better camera (3.2MP) and is a bit sleeker and smaller than the Bold. Bold has a faster processor, a fantastic screen and a premium look. You cant go bad with either. I been using Bold for around 4 months now, and so far its the best smartphone that i ever had. I would say its worth the premium over 8900.
Hi,

Was just looking at the compare screen on the blackberry website
BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

From what I can understand the 8900 scores over the Bold as far as the media player goes which makes it a better candidate for me as it becomes a all rounder.

@Quickdraw - My bad I meant to type 8320.

Viper
Old 8th February 2009, 17:42   #291
BHPian

Blackberry Connect

Hi!
I have been using a HTC Touch Dual with Airtel GPRS for my mail requirements. I was able to view my mail with all HTML content. Recently, I downloaded Blackberry Connect Software for my HTC and subscribed for BB 899 plan. Everything was fine till I opened a mail. I could read it only in text format, no HTML. My question is 'Should I waste Rs.899 pm for just text mails' Could someone tell me whether I can do something with my Handset, so that I can view the mails in HTML format. I know the latest Blackberrys support HTML, but right now I am not in a position to spend another 25 to 30 K

Expecting your views and support.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:41   #292
Senior - BHPian

HTC Touch works fantastic with GPRS or Mobile Office, which I personally like better than BB service itself. If you are not on the move all the time, if you spent most of your time being on a broadband line, if you dont want to throw money for nothing, then stick to gprs or Mobile Office. Its not worth paying for a BB plan. I have used all of it and its from my user experience. Others might have various opinions. Instant mail delivery is handled by many 3rd party services too. Just googling a bit will give you lot of ideas !
Old 10th February 2009, 01:07   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi!
I have been using a HTC Touch Dual with Airtel GPRS for my mail requirements. I was able to view my mail with all HTML content. Recently, I downloaded Blackberry Connect Software for my HTC and subscribed for BB 899 plan. Everything was fine till I opened a mail. I could read it only in text format, no HTML. My question is 'Should I waste Rs.899 pm for just text mails' Could someone tell me whether I can do something with my Handset, so that I can view the mails in HTML format. I know the latest Blackberrys support HTML, but right now I am not in a position to spend another 25 to 30 K

Expecting your views and support.
You dont need to use the BIS or BB Connect service on the HTC. You dont need GPRS as well if you need access to your mails when you are in office. Because I am sure your office has Wi-Fi and I doubt you would want to sit and compose mails on the HTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
HTC Touch works fantastic with GPRS or Mobile Office, which I personally like better than BB service itself. If you are not on the move all the time, if you spent most of your time being on a broadband line, if you dont want to throw money for nothing, then stick to gprs or Mobile Office. Its not worth paying for a BB plan. I have used all of it and its from my user experience. Others might have various opinions. Instant mail delivery is handled by many 3rd party services too. Just googling a bit will give you lot of ideas !
We have to come agree, a BB plan is nothing with a BB and a BB is nothing without a BB plan

Quote:
Hi,

Was just looking at the compare screen on the blackberry website
BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

From what I can understand the 8900 scores over the Bold as far as the media player goes which makes it a better candidate for me as it becomes a all rounder.

@Quickdraw - My bad I meant to type 8320.

Viper
The 9000 speaker is way better then the curve trust me. IMHO the Bold has two speakers. But never really used the curve for that long. The curve is a rocking little thing go for it and post pics here asap!

I've been off the berry for sometime now. Its a good thing more or less. I dont work in a office environment. I used it for facebook, twitter and GTalk. Used it extensively for Navigation as well. But it was more of a novelty then for any *REAL* use. But God I miss it. Syncing the iPhone over Wi-Fi is nothing compared to the BB. But it does mean less bills everymonth because of no BB service and the iPhone battery usually dies out by evening.
Old 10th February 2009, 05:38   #294
Senior - BHPian

I was not able to edit my previous post with attachements. Thought I'll post again here, just saw this old picture thought you guys will find it amazing. We should have a show you mobile or a thread like that too. I have pictures of tons of my berries over the ages when you look back at an old phone it kind of makes you remember the special times you had with it and kind of regret selling it in a way.

But in any case here are my Black and Silver BB 8830's

The Black one is a Relaince running on CDMA 1xRTT EVDO the silver one is a unlocked unit from Verizon USA running on HUTCH GPRS BIS.

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 10th February 2009, 12:00   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The curve is a rocking little thing go for it and post pics here asap!
Hi Quickdraw,

Here you go.

Viper
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-dsc05310.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-dsc05311.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-dsc05313.jpg  

Old 10th February 2009, 12:56   #296
BHPian

Viper, how much did it cost and is it unlocked/unbranded?
Old 10th February 2009, 13:09   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Viper, how much did it cost and is it unlocked/unbranded?
Hi Raja,

I paid Rs10k in exchange of my old E71. It is a unlocked phone as I need to use it with BPL Mobile network. The phone was from "T Mobile"

Viper
Old 10th February 2009, 13:59   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raja,

I paid Rs10k in exchange of my old E71. It is a unlocked phone as I need to use it with BPL Mobile network. The phone was from "T Mobile"

Viper
That makes it 25k right?
Old 10th February 2009, 15:33   #299
Senior - BHPian

Great decision V1PER. I am sure you are loving each and every minute on your new berry.

You can download many applications (free and paid) from the Blackberry HOME in the browser.

Also go to the Berryreview website from the phone and go through the OTA links there and install some great apps.

Some highly recommended applications from my side.

1. Viigo (RSS Reader)
2. VLingo (Voice Recognition software really cool)
3. Facebook App
4. GTalk
5. Google Maps
6. Flipside MP3 Player (Paid)
7. Areze Email Alerts
8. TwitterBerry (Twitter Client)
Old 10th February 2009, 18:32   #300
BHPian

Does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I use MapMyIndia for navigation and Google Maps for generic use.
Does GPS work for you on your Reliance 8830? I have a Tata Indicom 8830 and Blackberry support team of Tata Indicom said that GPS doesn't work with both Reliance and Tata Indicom. I've installed Google maps but it is not working. Should I do some tweaks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks