Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 21:49   #2191
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I have to disagree with this. The A7 is noticeably heavier and slightly bigger.

Was recently travelling with a Sony APSC and the A7RII w/ 28-70 and the latter was heavier to the point of being tiring.
I was going by this spec sheet that shows Fujifilm XT2 (APS-C) is heavier than Sony A7 (full frame)

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-screenshot-20190618-17.17.00.png

Source: https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-cam...-t2-vs-sony-a7

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th June 2019 at 22:51. Reason: i think u meant heavier than A7 not lighter.
Old 19th June 2019, 12:04   #2192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I was going by this spec sheet that shows Fujifilm XT2 (APS-C) is heavier than Sony A7 (full frame)
Ahh okay!

That XT2 certainly is heavy. The A6300 body is about 405g in comparison.

However, talking about the complete package - I think a lot of the weight comes from the lens! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full-frame lens will almost always be the heavier one due to the larger glass area.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:13   #2193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Ahh okay!

That XT2 certainly is heavy. The A6300 body is about 405g in comparison.

However, talking about the complete package - I think a lot of the weight comes from the lens! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full-frame lens will almost always be the heavier one due to the larger glass area.
Ok, got your point. Yes, you are correct, full frame lenses will usually be heavier than APSC lenses which in turn will be heavier than MFT lenses.
Old 21st June 2019, 12:01   #2194
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a Canon EOS 80d, which i rarely take out nowadays,partly due to the convenience of the pretty decent camera in my S10+, and mainly due to the bulk of carrying the camera + lenses. My kit comprises of the 80d, a 50mm 1.8 lens, 15-85mm lens and a telephoto which i rarely use. My photography is nowadays limited to travel pics of the family.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the DSLR and switching to mirrorless, with just a single lens, maybe a prime and letting my legs do the work.

What would suit me best? I was thinking of Fuji X-T100 or X-T30.

Last edited by Raghav_K : 21st June 2019 at 12:05.
Old 21st June 2019, 14:50   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Canon EOS 80d, which i rarely take out nowadays,partly due to the convenience of the pretty decent camera in my S10+, and mainly due to the bulk of carrying the camera + lenses. My kit comprises of the 80d, a 50mm 1.8 lens, 15-85mm lens and a telephoto which i rarely use. My photography is nowadays limited to travel pics of the family.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the DSLR and switching to mirrorless, with just a single lens, maybe a prime and letting my legs do the work.

What would suit me best? I was thinking of Fuji X-T100 or X-T30.
Welcome to the club. I have been doing lots of research for the last month or so as I sold my Canon 600D.

This is my observation -
Smartphones, particularly the flagship ones have become really good to the extent that you can easily print 8*12 photos and frame them without any issues.
The main advantage of buying a proper camera are - flexible zoom range, low light conditions and creative liberty with various physical controls (talking about an amateur )
To get full advantage, we have to be prepared to buy additional lenses. So, this requires decent investment. So, if you are not going to use the potential of a proper camera, it is not worth buying it.

Now coming to the choices..
I want a compact camera+lens combo for travel and portrait/food shots.
Fuji has the best image quality among mirrorless options but the lenses are typically costly and similar sized as Canon/Nikon standard APS-C lenses.
Panasonic/Olympus have nice compact cameras with in-body image stabilization. Also, the lenses are compact and cheaper. Though the sensor size is smaller, the in-body image stabilization allows lower shutter speed and hence you can shoot at a lower ISO.
Canon has very few options for mirrorless lenses.
Sony also has very few options for mirrorless APS-C lenses (I am not interested in full frame).

So, I believe the choices should be between Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus. I think the m4/3 systems makes sense because of lots of cheap and good quality lenses and overall compact dimensions (that was the primary reason for selling the DSLR, isn't it? ) Between Panasonic and Oly, I am leaning towards Panasonic as they have kit lenses starting at 12mm (24mm FF) which I need for landscapes, architecture etc. The combination I am thinking of is -
Panasonic GX85/90 + 12-32/12-60 kit (general purpose travel lens)
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake (low light)
Olympus 45mm F1.8 (portraits).

I will start with the kit and 20mm pancake and then buy others later.
However, I am finding it difficult to get Panasonic camera dealers here. Also, prices in US are half of that in India. So, I might buy from USA which means there is a big risk if something goes wrong. But, I keep going to USA quite frequently. So, I can claim warranty there if needed. If you are fine with 14mm starting focal length, the Olympus EM10 M2/M3 is a very good camera and does not cost a bomb

If I have to buy in India, I will buy the Fuji XT-100/XT-20 with 15-45/16-50 it and get a 23mmF2 along with the kit lens. Fuji cameras cost the same in India and US and there is proper warranty and service network available in India. So, It's a safer buy.

Last edited by adimicra : 21st June 2019 at 14:53.
Old 25th June 2019, 14:32   #2196
Senior - BHPian

I lost my flash sync terminal cap sometime last week - seems like its a fairly common problem across cameras. Is there a place I can buy it in Bangalore? Did some online search and all I could find was Aliexpress links but are there anything available locally - online or offline?

Or, have anyone did any DIY solution?

--Anoop
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:50   #2197
Senior - BHPian

At last, got them pesky covers from Aliexpress and for a good measure, I brought 5 of them

--Anoop
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:38   #2198
BHPian

Is the Sony A7 worth buying anymore since it is 6 years old? I am getting a A7 with the 28-70 kit lens for a little less than 50K from an overseas online retailer. I understand that tech gets obsolete in a couple of years time, and 6 years means too much to ignore. Unfortunately I have not kept up with the recent advancements in photography.
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:41   #2199
BHPian

Just an update.

I bought a used Fujifilm XT 10 for 15k. To go with it, i got a Fuji XC 16-50 lens.

Oh boy, what a camera. I love the colors coming out of Fuji, and for a 4 year old camera, the XT 10 was in some ways, more advanced than my Canon 80d. I was so impressed, i sold off my Canon 80d, and bought a used 23mm f2 fuji prime lens. This camera + lens combo is a delight to use.

I love how the jpegs are usable straight out of camera. I have sent a few photos for print. Waiting eagerly, to see how they turn out

Last edited by Raghav_K : 2nd August 2019 at 18:42.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:18   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Just an update.

I bought a used Fujifilm XT 10 for 15k. To go with it, i got a Fuji XC 16-50 lens.

Oh boy, what a camera. I love the colors coming out of Fuji, and for a 4 year old camera, the XT 10 was in some ways, more advanced than my Canon 80d. I was so impressed, i sold off my Canon 80d, and bought a used 23mm f2 fuji prime lens. This camera + lens combo is a delight to use.

I love how the jpegs are usable straight out of camera. I have sent a few photos for print. Waiting eagerly, to see how they turn out
It might be the lens on your canon camera that might have been the bad boy. Canon strength is their variety of glasses at different quality and price.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:38   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy with my new Sony 85mm 1.8 on my a6500. So much lighter and easier to hold than my old manual Tamron SP 90/2.5. And autofocus it's really good. Can pretty-much point and shoot single-handed.

So now, that and my 50/1.8 are my concert lenses. But there is a huge gap between them that I would like to fill. But... With what?
Old 19th August 2019, 23:14   #2202
BHPian

Recently bought a Sony A6000. I choose it because of good reviews, compact size and neat looks. I had always wanted a good quality compact and handy camera. SLRs are too bulky and heavy to be held in hand and shoot at frequent intervals throughout the day during vacations.

The A6000 is still a best seller even after five years. And for good reason too. Apart from great image quality I like the fast autofocus, many focus modes, focus areas and three customisable buttons which allow quick access and change of settings. I have enjoyed playing around with the settings, shooting many test photos at home, and look forward to using the camera more extensively outdoors.
Old 20th August 2019, 00:32   #2203
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to buy A6000 for my wife, but she rejected it because it was too bulky compared to my OMD EM5. So I gave my EM5 to her and got myself EM5 mkII.
Old 20th August 2019, 02:07   #2204
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, it was a decision between one of Sony compacts and an a6000. I wanted something small. And now I have an a6500 and three lenses in their own camera bag.

In terms of something that slips in a bag, or even a pocket, I guess I failed!
Old 20th August 2019, 11:11   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So I gave my EM5 to her and got myself EM5 mkII.

Good one! I started with theEM5 in 2012. A couple of years later it broke down whilst in Singapore. Bought the EM5 mkII and 10's of thousands photogrpahs later, I am still very happy with it. I also got the Pen F, which in many ways is very similar to the EMD.

If there is one thing that could do with improvement ii is start up time. The MKIi is considerable slower than the Pen F. Especially for street photography you really do not want any lag in the camera waking up. Not quite sure what causes this, I assume it is the stabilization system that needs some time.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks