Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 14:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Query On CCTV Camera And Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Are there motion sensor cameras too? Even I am looking for such a system.
  • Preferably motion sensor camera
  • Capacity to record feeds for one month at least
If the feed can be monitored remotely, that would be great.
What would be the approximate cost of such a camera? Which brands are available?
Sorry for the off topic, but couldnt resist -

Trying to capture "Paranormal Activities"?
Old 29th July 2013, 13:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to wake up this old thread.

My housing complex is interested in installing a CCTV setup. The general requirements are 4 Cameras, 4 channel DVR with minumum 30 days recording, the wiring set up to be least cumbersome, min maintenance. The Camera's should be for day/night purposes and capture movement for distance of atleast 200 mts.
Questions:
1) Camera - Colour or black n white (how will night capture happen?). Normal or Infrared ones?
2) what budget should we have to go for a basic set up?
3) Any branded options available?
4) mediums to take the 30 day back up?

Experts, need your help and knowledge.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sorry to wake up this old thread.

My housing complex is interested in installing a CCTV setup. The general requirements are 4 Cameras, 4 channel DVR with minumum 30 days recording, the wiring set up to be least cumbersome, min maintenance. The Camera's should be for day/night purposes and capture movement for distance of atleast 200 mts.
Questions:
1) Camera - Colour or black n white (how will night capture happen?). Normal or Infrared ones?
2) what budget should we have to go for a basic set up?
3) Any branded options available?
4) mediums to take the 30 day back up?
These days you will get color cameras most of the time. They are not 'expensive'. Typically a camera with SONY CMOS sensor color camera (indoor) with around 20 IR LEDs will set you back by about Rs.2000/-
Outdoor cameras/enclosures cost a lot more depending upon the construction.

The camera will show good color image if you have normal illumination. If the illumination drops beyond a certain level, the IR LEDs will light up. In that case the image will be B/W.

You need good illumination for rendering good quality images for the target distance. But 200 meters requirement is a little hard to satisfy. Did you mean 200 ft ?

To capture decent quality images from 200 meters, you need zoom facility. This increases the cost.

These days DVRs come with 8 channels for a reasonable price - around Rs 8k (excluding the hard drives). You can use 1 TB hard drive in such a set up.

Most important thing in setting up a security camera is the right placement. Security cameras have a wide angle of view - but still need the right height/ right angle to 'cover' the maximum area. You need to see the 'faces' to be of any value. Vague shadows just don't make any sense.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Did you mean 200 ft ?
Yes, sorry for the typo.

Thanks for the info. We would be needing weatherproof cameras since the installation is around the building boundary walls.

So 2K per camera X 4=8K + 8K for the DVR+ 5K for 1TB HDD+ 4K for misc. The entire cost is coming upto 25K max. Add to that 5K for the monitor to display, cost reaches 30K.

Will I get some branded equipments in this budget? Have sent out feelers to some local providers in my area, waiting for their quotes.
Old 1st August 2013, 16:42   #35
BHPian

Hi,
I am still unclear on explanation given by the experts here.

If I have an IP allotted to me, whether user ID and password will work or not. Also it it possible to view live images on my Android (Galaxy Note 1). Advertisements are flaoting these days on a brand called DLINK. This brand is more famous for making internet routers. Can somebody throw some light on this please. Thanking Glodlur for waking up this thread.

Andy
Old 4th August 2013, 11:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hi,
I am still unclear on explanation given by the experts here.

If I have an IP allotted to me, whether user ID and password will work or not. Also it it possible to view live images on my Android (Galaxy Note 1). Advertisements are flaoting these days on a brand called DLINK. This brand is more famous for making internet routers. Can somebody throw some light on this please. Thanking Glodlur for waking up this thread.

Andy
If you have a DVR and a few cameras connected to it, you can watch its feed in any browser - provided you have a static IP address assigned to you by your ISP. Although it is possible to a use a dynamic IP, it is convoluted.

The above assumed that you are using cameras with composite (CSVB) Output.

Dlink offers amongst others - IP cameras which allow you to watch them from anywhere in your browser or Android/iOS apps often bundled free when you buy these cameras. They are more expensive than the composite video cameras. You need some special software to record their output in a network file server.

Whatever method you use, you need to configure your router in such a way that your DVR output is accessible to the outside world in one particular port. The Java applet which displays the output is password protected.

The wifi out given by the camera - sometimes is not protected by the recent WPA 2 encryption to keep the costs and latency time low depending upon the price. In such cases your camera output can be seen by a net-savvy person. It may also provide a very determined person the scope and range of your camera.
Old 14th September 2013, 22:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hi,

If I have an IP allotted to me, whether user ID and password will work or not. Also it it possible to view live images on my Android (Galaxy Note 1). Advertisements are flaoting these days on a brand called DLINK. This brand is more famous for making internet routers. Can somebody throw some light on this please.

Andy

D link makes ip cameras the one I have or probably the one your referring to is the one in the picture. It's basically simple you just have to plug it in and connect to your wifi network. No port forwarding or static IP address. You can login to the d link website and you can directly see the video stream live. Alternatively just open the D link app on android or iPhone. Problem is picture quality is just 640 x 480 as most ip cameras. Just enough to see what's happening in the location. Here it's just one device plug and play. If its analogue CCTV camera you need a DVR and then have it configured to Internet. Ip camera doesn't require a DVR.
Attached Thumbnails
Query On CCTV Camera And Installation-image1119230249.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2014, 22:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
D link makes ip cameras the one I have or probably the one your referring to is the one in the picture. It's basically simple you just have to plug it in and connect to your wifi network. No port forwarding or static IP address. You can login to the d link website and you can directly see the video stream live. Alternatively just open the D link app on android or iPhone. Problem is picture quality is just 640 x 480 as most ip cameras. Just enough to see what's happening in the location. Here it's just one device plug and play. If its analogue CCTV camera you need a DVR and then have it configured to Internet. Ip camera doesn't require a DVR.

Guess this is an old thread and people who started have already got their solutions, but if you need DLINK type of solutions then this is the solution for you - https://www.dropcam.com/
Old 30th April 2014, 11:55   #39
Team-BHP Support

I am looking to installing a security camera at my home in Manipal. Since is it mostly deserted, somebody is frequently stealing mangoes and coconuts on a regular basis. Once they brought a mini tempo to take away the coconuts.

I have an active wifi bridge between my office and home. Therefore I just need one high resolution IP camera pointing at the gate from the first floor. Recording can happen at my office PC.

The camera should:
1) Be wired, not wireless.
2) Have night vision.
3) Have motion sensed recording.
4) Be weather proof.
5) IP enabled so that remote recording is possible.
6) Server software to manage the recording and purging.
7) At least 720p recording.

What is available out there to match this requirement?

Edit: This one looks pretty close to my requirements.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th April 2014 at 12:22.
Old 30th April 2014, 13:47   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am looking to installing a security camera at my home in Manipal. Since is it mostly deserted, somebody is frequently stealing mangoes and coconuts on a regular basis. Once they brought a mini tempo to take away the coconuts.
A security along with a dog would be a better deterrent in this case? How large is the property?

Camera would only capture only so much, instead a motion based alarm and LED flood lights would also help scaring them off?
Old 30th April 2014, 13:59   #41
Team-BHP Support

It is just a 8600sqft property. Security guard will be an overkill to protect 4 coconut trees and a mango tree. Camera should do the trick, to find out who is stealing.

These cameras come with SDK-H library. Any idea what kind of SDK it is? Hopefully I can write some software to control it.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It is just a 8600sqft property. Security guard will be an overkill to protect 4 coconut trees and a mango tree. Camera should do the trick, to find out who is stealing.

These cameras come with SDK-H library. Any idea what kind of SDK it is? Hopefully I can write some software to control it.
@samurai - Interesting application!

Lets look at the challenges based on what you need.

Since you need 720p recording then Bandwidths will be high!

Motion sensed recording - This will at the software level so unless you need the camera to have a SD card to record locally at the edge.

Have night vision - IR illuminators - distance and angle of view at night will be your challenge.

Number of solutions available based on budget.

Have a look at these options

http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/wp-c...c_Sheet_R1.pdf

http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/wp-c..._EN_R1_web.pdf

and if budget is not an issue then

www.avigilon.com

Cheers!
Old 30th April 2014, 15:32   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then best is a motion based alarm and LED flood lights + Cam if you really want to capture footage.

The former will scare em off and options are available off the shelf.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:56   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Since you need 720p recording then Bandwidths will be high!

Motion sensed recording - This will at the software level so unless you need the camera to have a SD card to record locally at the edge.

Have night vision - IR illuminators - distance and angle of view at night will be your challenge.

Edit: Yikes! Too expensive. I am on a 10K budget here.

Number of solutions available based on budget.
Bandwidth and storage are not a problem for me. Thanks, I'll read up on the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Then best is a motion based alarm and LED flood lights + Cam if you really want to capture footage.
This is not at all an option. I can't have the alarm going off every time I drive in or out, or when my neighbors are playing badminton near the gate. Lights are totally redundant because I have a sodium-vapor street light right in front of the house. Can't beat that illumination. I just need to see who enters and exits the gate. If something gets stolen, I should be able to lookup the recording and find them.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th April 2014 at 16:06.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Bandwidth and storage are not a problem for me. Thanks, I'll read up on the specs.
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solu...network-camera

You should get it at around 4500/-

Most Viewed