Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 17:35   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Query On CCTV Camera And Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Bandwidth and storage are not a problem for me. Thanks, I'll read up on the specs.

This is not at all an option. I can't have the alarm going off every time I drive in or out, or when my neighbors are playing badminton near the gate. Lights are totally redundant because I have a sodium-vapor street light right in front of the house. Can't beat that illumination. I just need to see who enters and exits the gate. If something gets stolen, I should be able to lookup the recording and find them.
Buy an IP camera then which can do 1080P.
Simple.
Most cameras which are Full HD give decent low light capability.
Cost is ~80-90$
Most of these cameras have two modes
1. Take a picture every X seconds
2. Keep recording video in loop mode

You need WIFI connection and the camera will keep backing up the footage to the server. Some have motion detection which means they will record only if something moves. If its trees, it will record every time there is even wind.
Or you can target it at the gate.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:59   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is not at all an option. I can't have the alarm going off every time I drive in or out, or when my neighbors are playing badminton near the gate. Lights are totally redundant because I have a sodium-vapor street light right in front of the house. Can't beat that illumination. I just need to see who enters and exits the gate. If something gets stolen, I should be able to lookup the recording and find them.
Camera is to record the event, investigate after the event has occurred.

My logic was to avert/deter the robbery; what i was trying to convey was modern day alarm systems are fully programmable. Including armed hours, sensitivity etc. egs: A family friend whose house alarm system is programmed with an exception made for his pet cat movement. So what you describe as gate movement, perimeter definition etc can be controlled. Now if you don't want sound, that can be disabled also and only flashing lights would go off.

Lights is to startle the intruder and act as deterrent, also to attract attention from others. Yes it does tremendously improve the visibility also, esp in shadow area like say on the other side of the wall, when the sodium vapor is on the other side. We have sodium vapor street lamps and the 50W LED which i bought through Snapdeal (800 Rs) pointing from inside. It does make a lot of difference.

If your robbery is happening only through the gate then easiest thing is to have a gate access control. Very compact units with camera, intercom and remote operation options are also available. Again if you want an "open to all" gate access then atleast put a simple alert system inside to alert any unknown gate access, again assuming gates are locked with navarathan thala at night.

Again the whole objective i have in mind is to deter / avert the robbery. If you want to investigate post robbery, best is to use infra red camera.
Old 30th April 2014, 18:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu, when I am in Manipal, the main gate is wide open whole day. Cows walks in and graze inside. The fruit theft mostly happens during day when neighbors are away at work. That is why lights and alarms are not useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Buy an IP camera then which can do 1080P.
Simple.
Most cameras which are Full HD give decent low light capability.
Cost is ~80-90$
But are they outdoor cameras with at least IP55 rating? Otherwise can't handle the fury of the monsoon here.

I can provide RJ45 connectivity to the camera. Can also provide a tera byte of storage. This camera would be ideal, but my budget is 10K only.
Old 30th April 2014, 19:12   #49
Team-BHP Support

Would this work?

Or is this what you looking for.

Got the info from here http://www.eachbuyer.com/ip-surveillance-c15036/
Old 30th April 2014, 19:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu, when I am in Manipal, the main gate is wide open whole day. Cows walks in and graze inside. The fruit theft mostly happens during day when neighbors are away at work. That is why lights and alarms are not useful.

But are they outdoor cameras with at least IP55 rating? Otherwise can't handle the fury of the monsoon here.

I can provide RJ45 connectivity to the camera. Can also provide a tera byte of storage. This camera would be ideal, but my budget is 10K only.
Bro - http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/wp-c...c_Sheet_R1.pdf - This would cost you approx. Rs.23K plus tax

and this

http://www.flirsecurity.com/pro/wp-c...c_Sheet_R1.pdf - approx. Rs. 34K.

If you want chinese with 1.3MP and a 4mm lens then it would cost you - approx. Rs. 6500/-

The Dlink one you have shown is overpriced by a long way and not worth the money.

Whatever you choose remember a camera is only good if it can provide a full frontal face shot clearly after recording. Choose the highest resolution for recording, frames dont matter as after 8frames the human eye cannot make out the difference.

Most makes with 3.6mm lens will give a wide angle view, for example a 1/3" sensor with 3.6mm lens will be equivalent to a 2.8mm lens in a 1/4" sensor. Always better to choose a camera with a lens which can provide maximum magnification for identification.

Use this http://vicon-cctv-lens-calculator.so...ormer.com/1.1/ to understand which lens will best suit your purpose and then you can work backwards to get the best fit for your budget!

Cheers!

Stay Safe!

God Bless!
Old 30th April 2014, 19:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, that site has some interesting cameras. How reliable is this website?
Old 30th April 2014, 19:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, that site has some interesting cameras. How reliable is this website?

If you are asking about the sites i provided then be informed that FLIR is the World's Largest manufacturer of Thermal cameras! The sum total of all the revenues made by its competitors as far as Thermal is concerned still doesnot constitute 15% of Flir's annual turnover.! FLIR in short means FORWARD LOOKING INFRARED!

The Visible range of Flir is the link i put up.

The software tool is fro the lens calculator can be had from the company website directly. Again Vicon Industries is an Industry leader and gave many technologies to the CCTV industry - http://www.vicon-support.co.uk/Softw...or%20Setup.exe
Old 30th April 2014, 19:59   #53
Team-BHP Support

No, I was referring to easybuyer.com website mentioned by Jaggu. It appears to have very bad reviews.

I know FLIR is a good brand, but do they have Indian reseller?
Old 30th April 2014, 20:02   #54
BHPian

Yup. Very Much. Quite a Few. The master distributor is yours truly though we concentrate on the Thermal Range!
Old 30th April 2014, 20:47   #55
Team-BHP Support

Good, now we have someone who knows the stuff. Dont go by just the review, email and see how confidence inspiring are they. I have done this many times before i use the lesser known sites. Till date never got conned <touch wood>.
Old 30th April 2014, 21:36   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, I think waterproof IP cameras can be had for 90$ max, and even with customs duty landed cost to your doorstep will be small

Find a highly rated seller on aliexpress and buy a product with good reviews(eg 1000 positive reviews) and you are done.
Old 28th August 2014, 16:09   #57
BHPian

Reviving this thread, looking to install some cameras while me and the missus are at work and our child is home with the nanny.

Reading through the thread yielded some information and feel that an IP camera will work fine. Can someone advise if these can be bought off the shelf and installed on one's own or does installation need professional help.

Also, since these need to be placed at vantage locations within the apartment where a power point may not necessarily be available, how does one get around that? Do the cameras come with fixtures which can be affixed on the wall/ceiling on which the cameras can be mounted? Can these be purchased on flipkart/amazon etc?
Old 28th August 2014, 16:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it not possible to mount an ordinary IP-cam just inside a window or even in a watertight enclosure with a glass lens?

Why I ask is that the D-Link DCS cameras come with WIFI plus night vision starting at ~4.3k and are simple plug and play jobs. I have 4 of them at my flat including one mounted in the roofed verandah but well away from water/rain splashes.

Have had them for around a year now with impeccable uptime via Dlink portal. Freely accessible from our office PCs, 2 Android tabs, 1 iPad and 2 smartphones (Note I/Iphone 5C)
Old 28th August 2014, 16:44   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is it not possible to mount an ordinary IP-cam just inside a window or even in a watertight enclosure with a glass lens?

Why I ask is that the D-Link DCS cameras come with WIFI plus night vision starting at ~4.3k and are simple plug and play jobs. I have 4 of them at my flat including one mounted in the roofed verandah but well away from water/rain splashes.

Have had them for around a year now with impeccable uptime via Dlink portal. Freely accessible from our office PCs, 2 Android tabs, 1 iPad and 2 smartphones (Note I/Iphone 5C)
It can be done, but the problem is that the outer glass has to be cleaned very often as it can accumulate dust / dirt over a period of time which can affect the PQ. More over if its an IR camera (night vision) a glass infront of the IR emitter will create a glow and the camera cannot capture anything properly, its better having the camera inside the enclosure and disable the night vision IRs and install separate IR emitters outside the glass enclosure.
Old 28th August 2014, 20:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Reviving this thread, looking to install some cameras while me and the missus are at work and our child is home with the nanny.

Also, since these need to be placed at vantage locations within the apartment where a power point may not necessarily be available, how does one get around that? Do the cameras come with fixtures which can be affixed on the wall/ceiling on which the cameras can be mounted? Can these be purchased on flipkart/amazon etc?
@hothatchway - Most low end IP cameras are available in either a dome housing or what is known as Cube format type similar to the DCS-933L ( this is not POE enabled though) which is wireless enabled as well. For indoor home applications this is a good buy and I am sure available across Amazon and other sites. Power is something that you have to run a wire and since you are going to install this to see the nanny and the activities best to conceal the power cable so that it cannot be easily tampered. You need some knowledge in Networking so that you can link the cameras up to the wireless router and connect to the Dlink gateway for viewing over the web / android / apple devices. I don't have an idea of your budget but this camera should cost you around 5K. You can also get HD cameras but they cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

@itwasntme - It's an interesting thought but the biggest problem will be that your wifi range may get effected and as CMS has indicated the glass will get dirty and require constant care. depends how and where you install to look at the rating for weather protection that will be required. Can be done low budget requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
It can be done, but the problem is that the outer glass has to be cleaned very often as it can accumulate dust / dirt over a period of time which can affect the PQ. More over if its an IR camera (night vision) a glass infront of the IR emitter will create a glow and the camera cannot capture anything properly, its better having the camera inside the enclosure and disable the night vision IRs and install separate IR emitters outside the glass enclosure.
-

@CMS- If the camera is mounted properly and close to the glass no reflection will appear unless a reflecting surface is present near by facing the camera for example a metallic cupboard. The best method actually would be to use an IR Outdoor camera similar to the Dlink DCS-7110 this however is not wifi enabled but has Power over Ethernet so you would need a POE switch.

if anybody needs any advice on CCTV please do not hesitate to contact me. I don't deal with the low end range but will be happy to help.

Most Viewed