Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th August 2019, 13:31   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Query On CCTV Camera And Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I realized how wrong I was.
You can buy a camera with sd card storage and in built wifi capability like this (https://www.amazon.in/V380-Fisheye-P...373&sr=8-3)and should be good to go for your requirements.
sparkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2019, 10:09   #137
BHPian

Quote:
I need 2-4 cameras, DVR, HDD and cabling with optional mobile viewing facility / display. And again, these setups are bound to fail in between and it is advisable to have some AMC kind of thing in place.

Also, any idea on those WiFi cameras from MI etc? Are they reliable?
I have installed a few of the Wifi Switches from MI and they conked off within 6 months. These Wifi Cameras are primarily intended for temporary monitoring. Not for serious surveillance. There is one kit mentioned in this thread itself - 4 cameras, NVR and SMPS going for around 10k. That would be VFM setup. You need to pay for the cabling and labor.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2019, 11:47   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have installed a few of the Wifi Switches from MI and they conked off within 6 months. These Wifi Cameras are primarily intended for temporary monitoring. Not for serious surveillance. There is one kit mentioned in this thread itself - 4 cameras, NVR and SMPS going for around 10k. That would be VFM setup. You need to pay for the cabling and labor.

Thank you Prowler.
One more thing, in case I use a 500GB / 1TB HDD (there is no legal requirement to archive home CCTV files), how the storage gets managed? I mean with manual cleaning or some automated process to archive and remove video files of certain age.

Do we really need a desktop/laptop and TV connected always with the system?

Asking all these questions as my parents are not tech savvy and I am not always available at home (I stay in different city).
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:05   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Prowler.
One more thing, in case I use a 500GB / 1TB HDD (there is no legal requirement to archive home CCTV files), how the storage gets managed? I mean with manual cleaning or some automated process to archive and remove video files of certain age.

Do we really need a desktop/laptop and TV connected always with the system?
Most of the CCTV DVR/NVR manage the hard drive space by themselves. The earlier recordings will be erased to make way for the subsequent recording.

You don't need to have a monitor connected always. What is the common practice is hook up a LCD monitor and turn on/off as needed when you want to check what is happening around you.
Tip: Buy at least 32 inch monitor for seeing better. Usually the system shows 4 cameras at the same time. So larger estate makes it easy to spot intruders easily for seniors. Switching it to one camera to view it bigger takes fiddling with the controls.

I had suggested to use stick-on note paper on the joints of the doors of cupboard etc for senior citizens. So when the dubious servants leave the premises, just check if the note paper is still there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:52   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Most of the CCTV DVR/NVR manage the hard drive space by themselves. The earlier recordings will be erased to make way for the subsequent recording.
Tip: Buy at least 32 inch monitor for seeing better.
I had suggested to use stick-on note paper on the joints of the doors of cupboard etc for senior citizens. So when the dubious servants leave the premises, just check if the note paper is still there.
Thank you again Prowler, information provided by you is really helpful for planning.

I will try to find out if it can get connected to an existing TV with spare HDMI/USB/AV port so that Dad can just switch the view over remote.

Though the original plan is to prevent petty thieves who prowl in night to grab certain things over open windows or steal bulbs etc and mostly to deter anyone planning any adventure, your idea is certainly recommended.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2019, 13:19   #141
BHPian

I am contemplating setting up a good anti theft system for my home. I already have CCTV setup done but need to :
1. Have a smart lock setup
2. Video call setup - provision to receive/view & speak remotely(over phone) to any person ringing door bell.
3. Sensors and alarms.

Has anyone done it here? Any pointers/suggestions regarding installation/product/installers in Bangalore?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote