Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 11:17   #16
BHPian

re: The *Tablet PC* Thread

I own iPad and have used a friend's Galaxy tab extensively. My view- iPad beats Galaxy by a huge margin. Infact it is better than the BB Playbook as well.
Go for it and download the Team BHP app as well (its free and awesome)
Old 27th May 2011, 11:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all your replies - well appreciated.

I did not shortlist ipad because of its size.

Olivepad - yes, I take your comments.

Samsung Galaxy Tab (only Wifi tab and not 3G tab?)- The keyboard is different here
(they says: virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology which allows you to input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard. ?)

Dell Streak - I will go through the details of this.

One question: I have a Airtel sim card with BlackBerry Activation. Can I use this sim in the tablet and get emails as I used to get in the BB (i.e without activation wifi or gprs)???
Old 27th May 2011, 12:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can I use this sim in the tablet and get emails as I used to get in the BB (i.e without activation wifi or gprs)???
I dont think so. You need GPRS or WIFI to use any of these tablets.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:36   #19
BHPian

Read the reviews of Dell Streak before going for one. Many users have complained about OS becoming non-responsive frequently. And Dell service is not that good with respect to Streak OS issues, however hardware failures are taken care immediately.

I would suggest you to wait for the new Samsung Tabs, the 8.9" and 10.1". It has much better processor/graphic and screen combo with latest Honeycomb OS. However, the current generation Galaxy tab is a real value for money deal.

Due to personal reasons, I hate "i" products. So not commenting on that.

About Airtel Blackberry Sim, I didn't work on normal 3g phone on GPRS/Edge configs. I didn't try after that, may be I'll try it later today once again. But still it is not worth paying for BB service and using only gprs/3g service.

Last edited by Holyghost : 27th May 2011 at 12:42.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

If these Tablets come with Pushmail feature, then it should also work on BB activated simcard and recieve/send emails?? (I have taken the annual pack from BB and I still have some more time for expiry. So till then I want to use the BB in the Tablet, if it workable?)
Old 27th May 2011, 12:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest two things here:
a. Galaxy tab is complete #fail versus the iPad at current rates. No way boss.
b. Typing on the tab is a darned pain. Atleast swype is. So unless you plan to update to the 2.3.4 gingerbread that I got with CM7 - you don't get a lovely keyboard.
c. BB is overpaying for the data. You need BB stopped and 3G activated (675 plan).

We're getting an iPad2 soon for the wife as a entertainment / FB / email device (we both have office laptops). More real life feedback in ten days or so!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

dont blackberry services require the BB proprietary hardware?
(I know you can get emulators type things on smartphones, but its not proper BB).
head over to XDA dev, youll see if BB mail services can be had on the galaxy.
I know the BBM does require BB hardware.

otherwise, i am using the galaxy tab.
i sure hope you are not planning to use it as your primary phone.
otherwise, its top notch for emails, browsing, videos, gps etc.

EDIt: all assuming that you have disqualified the iPad.

have a look at this for more alts:

Last edited by mayankk : 27th May 2011 at 13:04.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 13:01   #23
BHPian

If I were to buy one today, the clear choice is the iPad2
- stable OS
- vast no of apps
- good quality apps (which is more important rather than no of apps)
- good battery life

Quote:
Instead of buying another BB device, I am thinking of going for a Tablet which will be much easier to type fast and also has got better battery power etc. Also with this Tablet, I can avoid carryng Laptop when am on the move.
Type fast - I think it wont be any faster.

And please note a tablet CANNOT replace your laptop. You will always need your laptop. A tablet sits somewhere between your smartphone and laptop. It does not replace anything (as of yet!!).
Please read this:
Thee Truth About The iPad, Day 300: I Barely Use It Anymore
http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-...day-300-2011-2

Last edited by surd_biker : 27th May 2011 at 13:06.
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 13:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pick any,they are all equally good or equally bad. And as some one said , the current crop of tabs will not replace an ultra portable laptop. Atleast not just yet.I have the ipad 1 ( bought it purely out of haste and not any practicle reason) and a samsung tab( gift). The novely value vanished within the first few weeks. Now i use them as expensive paper weights. All those ads you see with people doing highly productive things with their tabs are over played.Lastly as long as you dont have a physical keyboard the typing speed will pretty much remain the same on any screen. Having said all this , owning a tab is the latest thing so if you want one just pick up the one you like and if i may reccommend the asus ee pad transformer.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 13:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your valued suggestions and recommendations. Because my main use is going to be Email related work and little browsing, am little confused now whether the Tabs will be of helpful? Because still there is a doubt whether the BB activated sim card will function in the Tablets or not. Before buying the BB device, I was using the BB activated Sim card on my Nokia E62 and I was able to recieve/send email without any problem (only difference was that I have to click the email id to download new messages everytime whereas in BB messages automatically downloaded ie push mail feature). I thought that when other device like Nokia works on BB activated sim, why not these tablets??
Old 27th May 2011, 15:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why not BB torch. You have to compromise on the screen size for Browsing. You get a qwerty key board and its a BB. So satisfies your needs. I cant get a BB because i cant configure my office mails. So I went with the smartphones for fun factor.

As bigron pointed, its fun for few weeks. Except if its a dell streak where its slightly bigger than the phone and can be carried easilly, the others are meant for first few months of fun. But Ipad or Tab is good if you are into photography and the pictures looks just jaw dropping gorgeous in these devices.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: The *Tablet PC* Thread

You must realize that a tablet beats a regular handphone if you must clean up lots of emails without replying to all. Or if u send simple one line replies.

or even a touchscreen phone vs a BB that ways. Its just so much nicer on these displays.

Nokia developed the BB inteface for its phones before it could bring in the Mail for Exchange (and lotus got in the traveler). Nokia has ever since, discontinued "Blackberry Connect" as it was called.

Go to a croma, play with tabs and then see.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I cannot buy a device depending on 3G services which is not fully active in my area. So any device for which I need either GPRS activation or BB activation if the device supports BB application. With my requirement mainly limited to Email, I think going for these costly Tablet's are not ideal now.!!
Old 24th June 2011, 12:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Seen the news of a New Tablet from HCL at a very cheap rate:

HCL ME Android Tablet at Rs.10,990/-

More details available here:
HCL ME Tablet | HCL AE7 Price | New Android Tablets | Features Specs | Availability

Any opinion please?
Old 26th June 2011, 08:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Seen the news of a New Tablet from HCL at a very cheap rate:

HCL ME Android Tablet at Rs.10,990/-

More details available here:
HCL ME Tablet | HCL AE7 Price | New Android Tablets | Features Specs | Availability

Any opinion please?
7" resistive screen would be a great pain with only option of touch input.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks