Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 19:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliance 3G Tab

You should have got hold of HP Touchpad selling at $99 in the US, even 20north was delivering it in India for INR9899, it was a steal, got sold out very soon. Much much better compared to these chinese models.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:55   #77
v&v
Senior - BHPian

IMO the screen resolution is low, also with 800 MHz it will slow down as one loads applications and high resolutions pdfs will be slower to browse.
Above all there will be a minimum rental clause attached which needs to be paid monthly.

its better to keep away from it.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You should have got hold of HP Touchpad selling at $99 in the US, even 20north was delivering it in India for INR9899, it was a steal, got sold out very soon. Much much better compared to these chinese models.
I did enquire about it. $99 was a steal!! It was instantly sold out everywhere. And there is very less possibility of it coming to India at that price.

@v&v...at 13,000 bucks we cannot ask for a 1ghz dual core processor or a HD screen! This is a budget tab. The features Reliance is providing at this price is more than what was expected!

As far as the data plans are concerned, it is quite affordable at 600/month for 2GB or 5500/year for 1gb/month.

Last edited by theragingbull : 6th September 2011 at 20:02.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:36   #79
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull

I did enquire about it. $99 was a steal!! It was instantly sold out everywhere. And there is very less possibility of it coming to India at that price.

@v&v...at 13,000 bucks we cannot ask for a 1ghz dual core processor or a HD screen! This is a budget tab. The features Reliance is providing at this price is more than what was expected!

As far as the data plans are concerned, it is quite affordable at 600/month for 2GB or 5500/year for 1gb/month.
Accepted, but the ad campaign running is misleading.
As said by others these spec tabs can be bought 7-9k.
Why get stuck to a service provider.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:04   #80
BHPian

When i buy a tab i expect to watch it it watch videos.The arm 11 processor translates into it not supporting flash and it wont be able to run CPU extensive apps either/

So its a Thumbs down from me.

I'd rather put my money on the beetle tab which has a newer processor that supports flash
Old 6th September 2011, 22:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

There are news that Mukesh Ambani group is launching Tab at 8-9K soon. Google for some info on this and the wait may worth.

Here is one old link: http://www.themobileindian.com/news/...et-for-Rs-8000

Last edited by coolclouds : 6th September 2011 at 22:35.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:37   #82
BHPian

Saw the Reliance Tab review on one of the tech review shows and they gave it a complete thumbs down. While I haven't seen one myself, but can surely comment that the Reliance 3G services is below standards, surely not what you see in the ad's. My suggestion is if you are investing in a Tab, invest in a good one......
Old 7th September 2011, 00:26   #83
BHPian

If you can source one from USA, then consider:

1. B&N Nook Color

2. Viewsonic ViewBook 730: check this: http://www.dealigg.com/story-ViewSon...ablet-Computer

3. Viewsonic g-tablet

They do not have out-of-the-world specs like ipad2 or gtab10.1 but they should be any day be better than rcomm tablet.

Note that none of these tablets have 3G communication (sim slot). But you could always tether your phone or use a MiFi device.

Last edited by Comrade : 7th September 2011 at 00:46.
Old 7th September 2011, 06:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

15k gets you the gtablet delivered. In comparison you get everything lesser with the 3G tab.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
^^ No way you can that tablet for 4.5k, you may get something similar for 8-9k. But there is no service, relience you at least get service and support.
Reliance and support don't get along in one sentence!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The manufacturer of this Reliance Tab is ZTE, which is a Chinese manufacturer and ranks amongst the top 5 mobile manufacturers in the world! The same tab(ZTE light) is also available in Australia,UK and SE Asia. So IMO this is a brilliant VFM tab with good build quality, unlike other Chinese tabs.

For everyone: Do not compare this tab to the Galaxy or Ipad or HTC Flyer. This thing costs half as much as those tabs!
ZTE is the manufacturer of Blade (or SF Orange or Dell XCD as you may prefer). One of the best entry level / budget Android handsets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
If you can source one from USA, then consider:

1. B&N Nook Color

2. Viewsonic ViewBook 730: check this: Best Deal: ViewSonic ViewBook VB730 7" Android LED Tablet Computer - VB730

3. Viewsonic g-tablet

They do not have out-of-the-world specs like ipad2 or gtab10.1 but they should be any day be better than rcomm tablet.

Note that none of these tablets have 3G communication (sim slot). But you could always tether your phone or use a MiFi device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
15k gets you the gtablet delivered. In comparison you get everything lesser with the 3G tab.
As @Comrade and @phamilyman have correctly pointed out, you can easily get 1 ghz / dual core tablet at 15k price point. I would not recommend B&N Nook COlor as it is more of an E book reader than a tablet (i.e. less computing power). Go for the Viewsonic ViewBook 730 if in-built 3G is of high priority or the Viewsonic gTablet if the tab experience is more important.
Old 7th September 2011, 17:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

How does the reliance tab stack up to the MSI "Enjoy" (7" and 10") tablets as also the Mercury mTab ? Both retail for less than 10k. Though I havent yet seen any website stocking them.
The Viewsonic G-Tablet is available for 16.6k on Ebay.in (Ships from the US though) :

ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Android OS 2.2 Multi-Touch | eBay

Dunno if it comes with 110/220V charger etc though.
Old 7th September 2011, 22:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Reliance and support don't get along in one sentence!!
True. Also, consider dev support when choosing a device. Custom ROMs like CM7 totally bring these cheap underdog tablets to life.

Quote:
I would not recommend B&N Nook COlor as it is more of an E book reader than a tablet (i.e. less computing power.
Nook Color has best developer support, period. Get a refurb NC for $150-170, root it, install CM7, over clock it to 1.1GHz and do you still have an ereader?

Of course, NC lacks webcam but that is the only thing lacking which can be compensated with good smartphone.

Quote:
Go for the Viewsonic ViewBook 730 if in-built 3G is of high priority or the Viewsonic gTablet if the tab experience is more important.
Gtablet is a very deserving tablet for $260 if the screen's viewing angles are not very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How does the reliance tab stack up to the MSI "Enjoy" (7" and 10") tablets as also the Mercury mTab ? Both retail for less than 10k. Though I havent yet seen any website stocking them.
No idea. Again consider dev support. The stock software generally lack in performance and features. Most of the buyers go for "optimized" custom software like CM7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Dunno if it comes with 110/220V charger etc though.
All electronics (not electrical appliances) these days are coming with international chargers. They work anywhere in the world.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. Also, consider dev support when choosing a device. Custom ROMs like CM7 totally bring these cheap underdog tablets to life.
+1 to that!

Quote:
Nook Color has best developer support, period. Get a refurb NC for $150-170, root it, install CM7, over clock it to 1.1GHz and do you still have an ereader?

Of course, NC lacks webcam but that is the only thing lacking which can be compensated with good smartphone.
Well, if a new NC costs the same as new gTablet, would you still say the same? I'll anyday prefer a better (i.e. dual core) proc. I believe over clocking exists as an option in gTab as well?

OT - do these 'cheap' tablets support 3G / 2G USb modems (Photon/MTS etc)? Or my only option is wifi tethering through my Android phone?
Old 7th September 2011, 23:57   #89
BHPian

Well, a refurb NC is as good as a new NC. Many would not suggest a refurb but I generally try them (Confidence that I can always return them within 30/45 days ) and never had a bad experience till date. Looks new, feels new and works new. Plus you get the usual 1 year B&N warranty. All for about $170.

USB modems need to be supported with drivers in the device kernel. I am not sure if any stock or custom kernels would support specific USBs out the box. If you could contact the developer of the kernel for support, they might help but its a long shot. Best option is using tethering or buying a MiFi device for the cost of a USB modem.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if a new NC costs the same as new gTablet, would you still say the same? I'll anyday prefer a better (i.e. dual core) proc. I believe over clocking exists as an option in gTab as well?
Gtablet seems to have good hardware potential and a Honeycomb ROM seems to be stable on it as well.
Wish they start selling it in India. Is it worthwhile to import from the US via Ebay ?

Most Viewed