Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:41   #196
BHPian

As you have mentioned its a very tight budget then go in for a reliable source - a used maruti Alto LXi will be a better choice, when compared to other cars as its a very practical car.
Car parts are very cheap and the overall maintainence is the cheapest when compared to other cars of the same segment.
Last but not least Alto sales top as the highest selling car in India.
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:00   #197
BHPian

Re: Brand new Nano or preowned Alto

A new car will always be preferred, and getting a well maintained Alto will be hard to get within the price.

Last edited by kiren : 2nd October 2012 at 17:02.
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:31   #198
BHPian

Hi,

I would suggest you to wait till October 16th as a lot of people have already mentioned in the thread.

New Nano vs. Pre-owned Alto:
My vote goes to Alto and not Nano. Agreed that its a new car vs. pre-owned car, but still Alto is the best selling car in India.

I had used Alto for 2 years and trust me its zero maintenance car. Specially, if its just for city drive / odd errands here and there. You would get a decent condition Alto in the market for sure. All the best for your search... Enjoy...
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:46   #199
Senior - BHPian

Being a Nano owner, I would suggest you a Alto. Nano is rather a substitute car if you already have one. I use Safari for Highways and Nano strictly for cities only.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:28   #200
BHPian

^^^^^^
Actually, it is a second car that he is looking for.
Look, the reason I recommend the pre-owned Nano is because a brand new Nano ( like just about any Petrol car, incl. Marutis) will loose a lot of their value soon. Esp. in the case of the Nano, the depreciation is very fast!

Look around and you should find a very nice Nano for a lot less. On the other hand the Nano is now available at terrific discounts and deals. Say you have a 2 wheeler that is a complete heap of junk. The Nano dealer will offer you Rs.15,000 for it in exchange for a brand new Nano. Throw in the other deals and low interest rates, a new Nano should be a good deal too.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:22   #201

i have a Nano and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience in the last six months.

During the buying the decision i didnt get positive reviews but they were from people who havent used the car or even test driven it.

I took a test drive and spoke to actual owners of the car and to my surprise got wonderful reviews.

Today i too am a great believer of car which is unfortunately plagued my misconceptions and does not have a fair/objective review.

Do read these these reviews

http://www.cartrade.com/reviews/Tata...er-115816.html

http://www.carwale.com/research/user...aspx?rid=31908

http://www.moneylife.in/article/revi...ano/28690.html

Finally believe in yourself in your own experience.

This is perfect city car while the long drives are great fun too.
ramsatish1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:06   #202
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
^^^^^^
Actually, it is a second car that he is looking for.
Look, the reason I recommend the pre-owned Nano is because a brand new Nano ( like just about any Petrol car, incl. Marutis) will loose a lot of their value soon.

Say you have a 2 wheeler that is a complete heap of junk. The Nano dealer will offer you Rs.15,000 for it in exchange for a brand new Nano.
Yes that is a very feasible option to try for a pre-owned Nano. But a question arises in the mind, why would some one sell a Nano for a lot less than it was originally bought for in such a short period of time?

The only question is that of the reliability of pre 2012 version. Somehow it is now a popular belief that earlier Nanos had some minor issues which got sorted out in the 2012 edition thanks to all the bad publicity it received earlier.

Also an old 2 wheeler exchange is also a lucrative one and could be done if required for an inexpensive second car in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsatish1 View Post
i have a Nano and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience in the last six months.

Today i too am a great believer of car which is unfortunately plagued my misconceptions and does not have a fair/objective review.

This is perfect city car while the long drives are great fun too.
Thanks for the links and I personally like it a lot too. The only thing is many family members think of it as a off beat vehicle (a toy so to say) and suggest other options.

On an other note, how much does your Nano give in terms of mileage in the city with / without A/c and what has been the servicing costs till date?

Last edited by girishglg : 3rd October 2012 at 19:10.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:12   #203
BHPian

Servicing costs are almost the lowest among all cars. Your other doubt about the previous Nanos not being as good as the 2012: The cars are almost the same. Regular updates have been made to the earlier version and TATA has spent a lot of money in free upgrades.

Why does someone sell a car less than 15 months old? Who knows? The most common reason that I know of is among the software types when they get sent abroad or even across India ( once you calculate moving and re-registration costs).

Still, you can't go wrong with either the original or the 2012 Nano.

Lots of members have told you what their mileage is.

Last edited by john doe : 3rd October 2012 at 19:15.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:11   #204

I have not paid any service charges yet, am covered under four year warranty and free service is still on.

In peak suburban traffic, the approximate mileage is 20.2, with full AC. i have not used the car with out AC. In the express way drive i got a mileage of 23.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Yes that is a very feasible option to try for a pre-owned Nano. But a question arises in the mind, why would some one sell a Nano for a lot less than it was originally bought for in such a short period of time?

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 13:48. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
ramsatish1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 12:44   #205
BHPian

See this link from Carwale. Pics of new Alto 800. To me the front had similarities with A-star and Wagon R and the rear appeared like a mini Liva. Except for the hexagonal air-dam at front car looks good from all angles

http://www.carwale.com/research/maru...-cars/alto800/
Old 12th October 2012, 16:36   #206
BHPian

Booked Sunshine yellow Nano-LX, from Aadya motors Bangalore.

on road road price 252000, includes Dussera offer of 4 alloys + music system + L & R glove box + body graphics.
Old 12th October 2012, 21:42   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
body graphics.
Waiting for the picture!. Do they allow to customize graphics, or it is standard?
Old 13th October 2012, 03:04   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Waiting for the picture!. Do they allow to customize graphics, or it is standard?
It is standard, I have not seen it yet but decided not to go for it as I had finalised my own custom design.
Old 13th October 2012, 06:47   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
includes Dussera offer of 4 alloys + music system + L & R glove box + body graphics.
What is this glove box arrangement; is it an add on? Any pics.
Hyundai Eon also is to be added in this list and in the poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Being a Nano owner, I would suggest you a Alto. Nano is rather a substitute car if you already have one. I use Safari for Highways and Nano strictly for cities only.
With the bookings for the new Alto800 open, it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th October 2012 at 06:50.
Old 14th October 2012, 14:17   #210
BHPian

I have written a blog of things people should know about Tata Nano, as there are lot of misconception regarding this car.

http://dhawald3.tumblr.com/post/3347...nanoadvantages
dhawald3 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks