Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:24   #271
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
No offense but i20 can't hold a candle to a Punto MJD. Even a Swift is a better car than an i20.
Punto has the better engine and also offers a VGT. It is built stronger, looks better and has the best handling this side of 10L.
Maybe, but we definitely wanted resale value and interiors so Punto fell out of favor early. That why the specification of evaluation criteria

Last edited by acidkill : 22nd December 2012 at 18:25.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramgoglani View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. Its great to be a part of this community. This could not have happened at a better time for me. I am planning to buy a new car, a diesel hatch. Although, I am almost on the verge of booking the Swift VDI.. there is one other option playing in my mind..namely the Ford Figo Titanium. Now, here are my requirements:

1. Need a diesel hatch with good performance and mileage.
2. Boot space not very crucial as I will be rarely using it for Airport or Railway station runs (it should be just sufficient to carry my kid's stroller and some medium bags)
3. Importantly, the budget: maximum 7 lacs on road.
4. Rear legroom and space (should be much more than my existing Santro Xing).
5. Low maintenance cost.

All your suggestions and opinions are most welcome.
I would suggest the Figo. It is built tough, has a loot of room including a good size boot, is well built and rides well. It may not be the most powerful but the ride and handling are great. If you can do without rear power windoes and somewhat low rent interiors, it is a good bet. I have had one for last tow years and have done 36K very enjoyble KM's in the car. It is sensibly priced as well.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:55   #273

Im quite surprised, there is no mention of the Tata Vista.
I have just purchased a vista QJ and i genuinely believe that its one of the best hatchbacks around. Its quick, supremely comfortable and isnt difficuilt to drive in the city. Its ideal for our kind of traffic and mentality. Truly "more car per car"
Old 1st January 2013, 23:37   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramgoglani View Post
I am planning to buy a new car, a diesel hatch. Although, I am almost on the verge of booking the Swift VDI.. there is one other option playing in my mind..namely the Ford Figo Titanium. Now, here are my requirements:
1. Need a diesel hatch with good performance and mileage.
2. Boot space not very crucial as I will be rarely using it for Airport or Railway station runs (it should be just sufficient to carry my kid's stroller and some medium bags)
3. Importantly, the budget: maximum 7 lacs on road.
4. Rear legroom and space (should be much more than my existing Santro Xing).
5. Low maintenance
How Figo Tdci Titanium scores over Swift VDi:

1. Both almost same price but I get more in Figo: ABS, Driver & Passenger Airbags, Alloy Wheels, Very good Music System with Bluetooth, Rear Wiper, Defogger, Driver seat adjust, Big Boot 285L, good space for passengers, 150CC powerful AC.
2. Drivability in City - Figo has minimal turbo lag and turbo lag noticed till 1600 rpm and easier to drive in Traffic.
3. Handling - One of the finest in Figo is its handling department, Superb road grip and great stability at high speed. Practical car.
4. Steering - Its hydralic power steering and very stable in highspeeds, offers nice feed back to driver.
5. Less Maintenance - Being 95% localised spares and less cost of maintenance is success of Figo.

Did not like about Figo:

1. Dated looks, though Face lift has done something on Headlamps and front bumper, it still looks outdated.
2. Low ground clearance, hits under belly on some large speed breakers.
3. Hydralic Power Steering, bit boring through city drive and parkings.
4. Not so good front seats, its not that large though it is satisfactory and comfortable.
5. Interiors and not upto the quality and not as good as Swift's.
6. No power windows in top end model also.
7. Engine is bit noisy and not as smooth as Swift's.

How Swift VDi fares better than Figo:

1. Looks are so impressive, everyone appreciate it. You can modify the car and it looks even better.
2. Its Driver's car, though it has turbo lag until 2000rpm, it is lovely to drive in highways with its 75bhp under belly and the engine is smooth than Figo.
4. Nice Interiors and upto date looks.
5. Large service network and easy to get serviced.
6. Impressive Mileage than Figo in both City and HIghway runs.

Did not like about Swift:

1. Priced too high without much features.
2. Metal sheet of bonnet, doors is wafer thin, Diesel tank is of plastic to reduce weight and not solidly built as compared to old gen swifts, even window glass is thinner.
3. Maintenance now is higher as those model with VIN starting from Dec 2011 has to have Synthetic Oil and it is expensive and even Swift servicing labour is higher than Figo's.
4. Poor rear seat leg room space and small windows for passengers.
5. Very small boot space, just 210 ltrs and its very small for family outings.
6. Engine has some turbo lag and it is not that good to drive in city.
7. Electronic power steering is so light with less feedback and it is scary in high speeds.
8. Thin 165mm tyres and does not match with body proportions of swift.
9. Huge waiting period for ddis, sometime its over 6-7 months. Everybody wants to own swift.
HighOctane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 13:14   #275
BHPian

@vikram
Based on your requirements, Figo is preferred more over the Swift as it has better rear comfort and a big boot for that long distance travels with huge luggage

@HighOctane
I own a petrol swift (pre facelift) so cant comment on the engines but there are couple of points i want to add for the Swift
1. It has better Shoulder and headroom than the Figo and also a higher driving position helping in better ingress and egress out of the car
2. The suspension setup on the swift combined with a short throw gearbox also makes it a decent handler, agreed the steering is not hydraulic but then it is one of the best weighed EPS in the market

Where swift gets plagued is
1. braking (based on ownership reports on the face lifted model)
2. plastics

just my 2 cents

Cheers
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 20:39   #276
BHPian

Need a comfortable B2 Fully loaded Hatchback

Folks,

2 years back i was here asking suggestions on what hatchback to buy, had a roller coaster ride in choosing one and in process i even managed to drive a few fellow BHP'ians crazy, after all i had booked a Wagon R , then went for allotment confirmation and ended up cancelling it to book a Swift Lxi (A decision i do not regret one bit)

So now with my Dark Angel completing 2 years, i am again in the market looking for a Hatchback to replace our Ageing TATA Estate

Reasons for a second hatch
Pune Traffic: We live in Pune which experiences mind boggling vehicle traffic
Parking: My office parking is a hell hole as most parking turns are narrow and of course no space to do a 3 point turn and similarly these Malls and city roads barely provide any decent parking space

Planned Budget: 7- 7.5 Lacs
Body Style: Hatchback
Fuel: PETROL

Driving the swift base model over couple of years has made me understand what i really need in a car
1. Power Windows, preferably auto down (anti pinch is a welcome with this feature)
2. Power Closing Mirrors - Must have for those tight parking spots
3. Plush Interiors - We spend most of the time inside the car and hence no compromise here
4. Steering height adjustment - I am a fat guy and hence getting the right driving position is important and difficult
5. ABS (Never felt the need yet but in rainy season it could be the differentiating factor)
6. Good Service Network
7. Bluetooth Connectivity and Music Controls on Steering -
I get a lot of conference calls and hence even to pickup and say that "I am driving" becomes difficult, currently i use a bluetooth headset but not a very comfortable thing and if i have to attend an urgent call, i can take the car to the left and attend it handsfree
I am choosy about what i hear and hence ability to move through folders easily is important and music volume controls as well
8. Dead pedal - Every car needs one
9. Rear Wash and wipe - In city driving in rainy conditions this becomes inevitable to ensure there is good rear visibility
10. Decent AC - I prefer Auto AC feature, i drive with 50% AC usually
11. Comfortable seating for 4 - below is my usual split up of occupants
Single Person Driving (Me or My dad) - 90% of the time
2 people - 7 % (Me and someone else)
3 people - 2.5 % (Yup, my family does not prefer cars for long drives , hope i get all your sympathy - a petrol head with a family that has zero enthusiasm for cars)
4 / 5 people - Though i can count this on my fingers as this is a very rare occassion but still i give it a 0.5% because usually if there are more than 4 occupants we take the second car as well

I did not bother looking at B1 and segments below as they do not meet all my needs,
From B2 segment i have shortlisted 3 cars
1. Punto 1.4
2. Hyundai i20 1.2L iGen
3. Honda Jazz X

So let the thoughts pour in and here is the disclaimer that i am not responsible if i drive you mad with my stupid questions and sudden change of mind

Thanks for reading
Old 26th January 2013, 21:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a comfortable B2 Fully loaded Hatchback

From your requirements listed above, your hatch should be loaded with features to the brim.

i20 ticks all the boxes of your requirements.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 21:13   #278
BHPian

Shridhar,

I've driven an i20 briefly and also a Jazz.

Engine refinement on a Jazz is mindblowing. Add to it loads of space.

Although i20 may be fully loaded, you may want to check with i20 owners on the ownership costs.

Jazz being a Honda, it boasts of bullet proof reliability. Ownership costs aren't too high either and manages a decent FE of about 15 - 16 kmpl if not driven aggressively.

You may miss out on some features on the Jazz, as compared to an i20.

My vote goes for the Jazz.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 26th January 2013, 21:19   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Shridhar,

I've driven an i20 briefly and also a Jazz.

Engine refinement on a Jazz is mindblowing. Add to it loads of space.

Although i20 may be fully loaded, you may want to check with i20 owners on the ownership costs.

Jazz being a Honda, it boasts of bullet proof reliability. Ownership costs aren't too high either and manages a decent FE of about 15 - 16 kmpl if not driven aggressively.

You may miss out on some features on the Jazz, as compared to an i20.

My vote goes for the Jazz.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Dear YN,

Does the opening post talk anywhere about engine refinement or ride quality or handling ? i20 may not be a winner here, but it scores 4 out of 5. While other hatches may score 4.5

Features are primary and i20 wins the game here.

Last edited by F150 : 26th January 2013 at 21:22.
Old 26th January 2013, 21:38   #280
BHPian

Just to clear the confusion gentlemen,
70% drive is city and i dont cross speed of 80 kmph
rest 30% is highway but again i am looking for comfort so cant expect a soft suspension setup to deliver performance, and vice versa a hard suspension setup (My Swift) will give handling but make the life miserable for passengers and even me at times
I need drive comfort
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 23:07   #281
BHPian

Hyundai i120 ticks all your requirement for sure but the petrol i20 is too sluggish compared to others. I don't feel spending 7 lacs on such a vehicle just for features alone. Either buy a diesel if you can for i20.
Now between Jazz and Punto, Punto score over ride quality over Jazz. On other aspects IMO Jazz is the car you must choose.
But just for a thought, since you don't require too much space. I mean comfortable for 4 is what you are asking for, then why not bring the brio in?
1) You will save nearly a lac in Brio vis-a-vis Jazz.
2) Same engine as Jazz but little better performer.
3) Since you are looking for 70% city drive, Brio have the option to choose for Auto transmission which is a boon for city driving.
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2013, 00:09   #282
BHPian

The Jazz doesn't have BT (aftermarket ?) and dead pedal, also I'm not sure about the adjustable steering but everything else is ACE. I voted Jazz.
Old 27th January 2013, 00:21   #283
BHPian

Considering the requirements mentioned by you, i20 seems the best fit. Being a Fiat fan, I am emotional about Punto however, some of the points mentioned by you won't be met by Punto e.g. power mirrors, service network (though there is promise but still...) and Music (the controls are there but browsing through folders is a pain).

Jazz's usp is space and looking at your usage, space offered by i20 should be adequate.

Brio AT is a good suggestion however, you seem more inclined towards the bigger hatches. If you can live with that design (purely subjective), it's a great car. You might want to check with Hyundai dealers on availability of 2012 manufactured i20 auto, if it is available (chances are less) then it can be a great bargain.

All the best!
Old 27th January 2013, 00:42   #284
Senior - BHPian

I was in the same situation about 2.5 years back, when I had to suggest a petrol hatch for my parents. We wanted something premium and the final options were the i20, Jazz and Punto. The Jazz was too expensive then, and my parents didn't like the low seating and back seat comfort of the i20.

The Punto 1.4 seems to be a very rare car, but it seriously is very under rated. It has got a nice free revving engine and an awesome engine note with pretty good power. Although given your list of requirements, I'm not sure if any car will tick all boxes. My order of preference today would be Jazz >> Punto >> i20, plus with news doing the rounds of the Punto Evo launching in march, you'd rather not get the current model.

I think the Jazz is the best petrol hatch in India right now (if only it had been launched at the current price), inspite of it skimping on a few features. Suggest you test drive and then see which one works best for you.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 27th January 2013 at 00:44.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:56   #285
BHPian

My vote goes for the i20. Looking at your list of requirements, comfort seems to be the first priority over FE. The i20 Asta will provide you with every one of those things on the list and if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit further you could even go for the Asta (O) variant with the sunroof and 6 airbags! If your driving style is sedate you can manage to get around 13 Kmpl in city traffic and 16 - 18 Kmpl on the highways.

If you're looking for a more refined engine, go with the Honda. The Kappa engine on the i20 is very underpowered and in some cases you'll have to push the car to get the most out of it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks