Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which budget hatchback would you choose?
Renault Kwid 252 57.67%
Maruti Alto 800 16 3.66%
Hyundai Eon 36 8.24%
Datsun Go 7 1.60%
Tata Nano GenX 42 9.61%
Maruti Alto K10 84 19.22%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 10:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for parents under 4lac

the earlier Wagon R was pretty good on highways. I have driven old corolla, new corolla, Punto on Indian highways and all of these are extremely good on highways. The wagon R always used to keep up. Most of the Wagon R's that keep up I suspect, are the old ones. And not the new ones.

Secondly Tiago also has a taller entry and height, it is not as short as 800 alto or Celerio or others. I have seen Tiago's on roads and they seem to be quite well built with good panel tolerances just like the Koreans. The ride quality on Tiago is also better as per every review of the Tiago till date. Makes it a no brainer if you ask me.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the earlier Wagon R was pretty good on highways. I have driven old corolla, new corolla, Punto on Indian highways and all of these are extremely good on highways. The wagon R always used to keep up. Most of the Wagon R's that keep up I suspect, are the old ones. And not the new ones.

Secondly Tiago also has a taller entry and height, it is not as short as 800 alto or Celerio or others. I have seen Tiago's on roads and they seem to be quite well built with good panel tolerances just like the Koreans. The ride quality on Tiago is also better as per every review of the Tiago till date. Makes it a no brainer if you ask me.
I would agree here. The new Wagon-R isnt as good as the old one and I had an old one too. And then there's the question of safety and I would not compromise on it for my parent's car.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:57   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
1. Alto K10 (best fit except rear seat comfort)
2. Wagon R (a bit over budget and getting old but otherwise perfect)
3. Tiago (TATA employee )
4. eon (dont know wh i don't like the car)
5. kwid (service issues at hometown)
My shortlist from that list would be (Assuming you're going the new car route):
1. Wagon R (may exceed your 4Lakh budget though, please check your local pricing in Kolkata). Biggest plus point is the easy ingress/egress especially for senior citizens. Ideal car for city usage and even the shorter highway runs.

2. Tiago (VFM and you may get some employee discounts/benefits too ?). If Wagon R is ruled out, this is a good choice, again do check your local pricing

Last edited by NPV : 6th May 2016 at 11:00.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
And an old Wagon R was tailing me pretty close. So it is a capable vehicle no doubt. But never seen the new Wagon R's around me like that. Seems like the old has pretty good power/weight ratio.
No doubt the F10D Wagon R was capable for it's class. Old Suzuki engines had plenty of grunt which the new K series motors simply cannot replicate. I myself have tailed big Land Cruisers even on the Hyderabad ORR at unmentionable speeds. That said, I don't think the OP's parents are looking to do any such thing and I'm sure a 3cyl will keep them happy enough.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:13   #50
BHPian

The all new wagonR comes with a 3 pot petrol motor. The old one was a 4 cylinder unit. Like many of you had suspected the old wagonR's engine was a gem and with good down shifting of gears could keep up with fast highway traffic. However the new one is very sluggish.

As per your request I would suggest you go ahead with Tiago. It's decently high seating, good quality interiors, peppy engines and smooth transmission will be comfortable and fun to drive as well.
Happy hunting!
Old 6th May 2016, 11:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

The WagonR will suit your parents' need the most. I agree with Parag's views. The new one has more room at the rear and better interiors.

But I felt the new model had more punch on the highway than the F10. Only low end grunt was missing, like in the case of diesels.
My views are based on driving a rental K10 WagonR in Goa for around 500 kms. And I own a 15 year old F10 for comparison.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 11:23   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The ease of ingress/egress in a Tallboy is something our parents/grandparents would love. If the need of the day is a car that offers better seating position for old, picking the WagonR is no brainer. The Blue eyed boy after getting the K10 is bigger and roomier too.
+1.
Being an owner of the new WagonR (VXi), I can vouch for the practicality of the car. I'm 6ft tall and can walk into the car without much bending. I have done 1200kms in 18hrs at one go and yet, never felt any discomfort. But the other day, I drove about 100kms in my friend's new Baleno and had a mild back pain (even though the whole car was a snug fit around me). So, the WagonR can literally spoil you with it's chair life seating posture. The rear seats lack proper contouring and hence, don't give adequate support. And yes, the car is very reliable and fuel-efficient.

After listing out the pros, I will share its fair share of cons. The ride is bumpy (low profile tyres in the top-end model) and handling nowhere close to FTD category. The brakes tend to lock under hard braking. Last but the major grouse, the low end torque of the K10 motor is really poor. That makes driving in the city a bit frustrating. The good part, the gearbox is leagues ahead of the old WR and the engine loves to be revved.

In the end, I would suggest the Tiago. My reasons are, the car would be much more comfortable than the WR (in terms of ride quality) and you will get a much more equipped car too. Might I suggest a pre-owned B+ segment car, just like others did? That's much more VFM.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 11:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

While I would agree with all the people here who have extolled the virtues of a Maruti WagonR, I am wondering why the Tata Nano isn't being considered?

It has the same "tall" seating position that is likely to be comfortable for your parents. It is supremely well suited to being used in an urban environment. It is a Tata, so you will get the usual employee benefits on this model as well. In addition, if you stretch your budget just a teeny-weeny bit, you get the top end XTA - which is an automatic!
Old 6th May 2016, 11:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to choose between the Wagon R and Tiago.

If it was for you, I would have suggested Tiago with eyes closed, but since the main users are your parents, take them to the showrooms and do a TD of both to see which car is more comfortable for them, and then decide.

PS: Do take a look at the Nano XTA also - it can do all you want, and will be much easier for your parents to drive because of the small footprint and AMT gear box.The seating position is good too.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th May 2016 at 11:30.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:37   #55
BHPian

Personal choices apart, for elderly parents, WagonR it is. Only other option to consider in this budget would be Nano. I would buy Nano, had I been in your position. Well within budget, one of the most beautiful car on Indian roads, easy to drive and no room for reckless driving even if one want to

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 6th May 2016 at 11:54. Reason: Typo
Old 6th May 2016, 14:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Alto K10 (best fit except rear seat comfort)
2. Wagon R (a bit over budget and getting old but otherwise perfect)
3. Tiago (TATA employee )
4. eon (dont know wh i don't like the car)
5. kwid (service issues at hometown)

NB: should be FTD as i will be driving it from time to time.
Taking into consideration the FTD part and looking at your shortlists the main choice IMO could be the Kwid.

It is a great little car and FTD too if you have a couple of people on board since the BHP/tonnes is very decent. The entry and exit is not that bad at all for seniors and on the looks front it surely looks like a micro SUV!

On the budget front though the top end RXT would be above 4 lakhs, however the RXL variant would be close to 4 lakhs.

On the servicing front, a new Kwid would require minimal servicing in the initial years may be as low as once a year and hopefully in a couple of years Renault will spruce up their network.

The second choice could be the Nano GenX which has all the bells and whistles that one would need. A tall boy with good creature comforts and very easy to run.

However it lacks in power which would rob some amount of FTD. If you ignore this fact then it would be a great ride for your parents. Also its from the Tata family itself
Old 10th May 2016, 17:45   #57
BHPian

Re: Budget hatchback war: Renault Kwid vs the others

Went for TD's on Sunday last. Tested out the K10, WagonR and Tiago.

My views on the Tiago:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3969945

For the alto, boy the car is small. The rear seat bench is comfy but ingress-egress is a pain. The driver seat was claustrophobic too as the car was narrow. People used to a bigger car will find it very difficult to drive an alto. I felt there was no space to move around my right arm while sitting in the drivers seat

Finally, decided on the Wagon R Lxi. oodles of space and ticks all my boxes. The smaller tyres are a letdown but will do for now. Coming to around 4.5l on road. Got to do a TD with my parents now.
Old 10th May 2016, 18:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Went for TD's on Sunday last. Tested out the K10, WagonR and Tiago.

Finally, decided on the Wagon R Lxi. oodles of space and ticks all my boxes. The smaller tyres are a letdown but will do for now. Coming to around 4.5l on road. Got to do a TD with my parents now.
WagonR is a good, and obvious, choice according to your requirements. If you are happy with the tallboy, I can not think of anything that your parents will hate in the car. It is a car known for practicality and function over form. It is indeed a surprise when you enter the car, because judging by the external dimensions, the space inside is considerable. Maruti has focussed on cabin space over boot space in its refent offerings!

I would suggest you to upgrade to Vxi variant at least, as it offers total value for the premium spent over Lxi. Most important additions being the rear wiper and electric ORVMs! It won't make a major difference if you are financing the car. What about option variants with ABS and airbags? Do pick that variant (over Lxi/Vxi whichever you get) if you plan to keep the car over long term. Congrats!
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the K10. Nice peppy engine and a reliable service network is very important for a budget buyer.

Kwid could have been my choice but haven't really heard much good about their service.

I drove my brother's Eon but was put off by its constantly vibrating gear lever and It did not give me the confidence at high speeds that a K10 gave me.

Have 2 Nano's in the family and besides an engine that growls like a diesel they have aged far too quickly. Like the bottom end torque of the motor though.

No idea about the Datsun, but did not like its looks too much though I quite liked the Redigo styling but its not part of this poll.

Alto 800 is just too basic and don't really like its styling.
Old 9th July 2016, 21:42   #60
BHPian

Voted for the K10, but it is not fair on the Kwid to compare it with a k10, which has a more powerful engine. I own an old generation k10 and have no complaints so far. Test drove the new k10 and found that it is even peppier. The Kwid reminds of a shrunk Duster.It was an instant put-off for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks