Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 14:04   #121
BHPian

Hi All,

After lots of effort ... Now i have purchased Zen Estilo Black.... I found this car great.....And i love driving it... and interiors are lovely

Thanks for helping me out in chossing the car...

Thanks Everybody
Raj...
Old 12th November 2007, 15:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Alto / Santro / i10 : First car for college student

My dads looking at getting a car for my brother who is currently studying in Pune.

I will be paying a visit to the dealerships when I find the time but till then I thought I would listen to your opinions

A quick list of pro's and con's would be good to show my dad. Comparative pricing would also be good.

Im all for the Alto since this is my brothers first car and also its an inexpensive,reliable vehicle. Santro is great too but seems like Hyundai is playing with the pricing. Dont know why but my dads keen on the i10, he knows nothing about the car and I dont see why we should spend that much money anyway.
Old 12th November 2007, 18:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Im all for the Alto since this is my brothers first car and also its an inexpensive,reliable vehicle. Santro is great too but seems like Hyundai is playing with the pricing. Dont know why but my dads keen on the i10, he knows nothing about the car and I dont see why we should spend that much money anyway.
Alto runs on a 800 engine so its as good as a M800; the only change is the outlook of the car and the pricing; Suggest not to go in for a new model making an entry in the market it always better to wait and watch for the reviews and then taking a jump. I suggest Santro or Wagon R would be more ideal to go for as both are in the running for ome time now and are good value for money.
Old 12th November 2007, 20:15   #124
Senior - BHPian

why not a xeta? good comfy safe vehicle and not the rash kinda thing

as parent, your father would be concerned:
a. safety (else a bike's more practical )
b. economy

a xeta scores WAY over an alto - i have both in the family, and the xeta's done almost 21k km on CNG (9.3k for the alto) and we are mucho happier with the xeta despite occasional niggles - takes 4 overweight, 1 ok adult and small baby and luggage and does 100 happily. aur kya bacche ki jaan loge?
Old 12th November 2007, 20:37   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Alto runs on a 800 engine so its as good as a M800; the only change is the outlook of the car and the pricing;
A popular misconception I should say!
The Alto engine is tuned much better than the 800 one and delivers 10BHP more (Info from Abhi Aka AKRoy during the Nandi Hills Drive).
In my opinion, the Alto is a much more fun car to drive than the Santro or WagonR. Moreover, it'd be cheap on the pocket which I guess is most important for a student.

- Jag
Old 12th November 2007, 21:17   #126
BHPian

Alto is safer than WagonR or Zen. Body doesnt feel tinny.

The M800 comes with a 3 valve per cylinder MPI engine, but Alto comes with a 4 valve per cylinder engine, thereby providing better performance.

I would recommend the Alto anyday. There is a price difference of about 50k but its well worth it.
Old 12th November 2007, 23:21   #127
bkm
BHPian

Spark is my choice

The ride quality , impressive FE,and other features made it a much better buy than alto at the discounted price. so if GM again gives the discount of 40-50K ,spark would be a better choice.
Old 13th November 2007, 09:37   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In my opinion, the Alto is a much more fun car to drive than the Santro or WagonR. Moreover, it'd be cheap on the pocket which I guess is most important for a student.
Actually Santro is pretty mean car too, Iv not selected it as the pricing seems to have gone up.

Your right about the cheap part, especially when it comes to spares Im guessing Alto is a winner.

Remember this is a first car and he isnt exactly like us T-Bhpians who love our rides. Has run my yamaha without 2t oil on a number of occasions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I would recommend the Alto anyday. There is a price difference of about 50k but its well worth it.
50k over an m800 right? Yeah definately worth it. Car is built much much better and is mod worthy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
The ride quality , impressive FE,and other features made it a much better buy than alto at the discounted price. so if GM again gives the discount of 40-50K ,spark would be a better choice.
I think he has seen the Spark and doesnt like it. Besides a Suzie is a Suzie!

Anyway will explore this option too as well as the Xeta. Thanks guys.

Last edited by s0uljah : 13th November 2007 at 09:42.
Old 13th November 2007, 13:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

Just one more tinny addendum. the xeta ac and seating is miles ahead of the alto. ofc, alto's ability to carve traffic is lesser than with most others
Old 13th November 2007, 14:32   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
50k over an m800 right? Yeah definately worth it. Car is built much much better and is mod worthy too
For a new car owner, the Alto makes for a very good choice. Trust me, i have seen my relatives who own Alto's, and despite all the ripping and non-maintenance at times, it still lives to tell the tale, and in all its glory.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpandey10 View Post
Hi All,

After lots of effort ... Now i have purchased Zen Estilo Black.... I found this car great.....And i love driving it... and interiors are lovely

Thanks for helping me out in chossing the car...

Thanks Everybody
Raj...
Congrats Man, welcome to the Estilo club. I own a Beige Estilo and am very happy with it. Planning to write a review on it soon
Old 14th November 2007, 17:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For a new car owner, the Alto makes for a very good choice. Trust me, i have seen my relatives who own Alto's, and despite all the ripping and non-maintenance at times, it still lives to tell the tale, and in all its glory.
Thats why either Alto or Santro. My brother is indifferent I guess.

Its obviously not going to be maintained immaculately as he lives away from home. Also people borrowing the car etc would come into the picture naturally as most people he studies/lives with are out of towners as well.

Car will be run in here by us before we take it upto Pune.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

quality

Maruti tops Hyundai by several notches on quality. Hyundai is regarded as something of a bad joke in North America. It just does not hold up. I am 6'0" and 94 Kilos. I fit into the Alto with little problem. I am not sure your whole family +1 would though.

Wagon R has many variations. I rode in one and was impressed. I have marveled at the toughness and longevity of Maruti products including the lowly 800 and taxi omni. Wagon R is just one more good thing from Maruti.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember this is a first car and he isnt exactly like us T-Bhpians who love our rides. Has run my yamaha without 2t oil on a number of occasions
If this is the case i would recommend Alto. check this out:

Quote:
Servicing schedule of this car is pretty bad. 1st service at 1k KM 2nd service at 10K km. 3rd service at 23k KM. 4th service at 40K km. 5th service at 52k KM. 6th service at 60k KM. 7th service at 65K KM. 8th service at 82K KM.
from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...o-lets-go.html

The next best option to alto if u dont like looks of wagonR i would say is Santro. Very nice car to drive. Easy to handle in city and turning radius is awesome.

And if Santro is out then its SPARK with that 50k discount. Go for it only if the service center at your area is good.

And i would advice to stay away from XETA not that car si not well built or anything but there are a lot fo problems in the car and have been discussed in the forum as well.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
If this is the case i would recommend Alto.
The next best option to alto if u dont like looks of wagonR i would say is Santro. Very nice car to drive. Easy to handle in city and turning radius is awesome.
I think Wagon R is also a good option but in this case its not a family car and will be primarily for his college/loafing use so thats why Iv been pushing Alto to dad. I think he's convinced too.

Will check out what the pricing scene with Santro is anyhow before we settle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks