Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2008, 12:16   #16
BHPian

New hatchbacks

@susan hmm stretch my budget hmm to what extent can you quote me an example re
@Snaronikar well im looking at a family car it will be driven by me .
@shvd hmm stick to hatch well is palio the best one then...or is wagon r the way to go ...cheers:
Old 1st January 2008, 12:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

A good Palio 1.6, a good Ikon 1.6, a good Santro can be got in 2.5L bt you need to search well.
Old 1st January 2008, 12:52   #18
BHPian

choose between Ford Ikon or Mahindra Bolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Till now Santro,Wagon R, Ford Ikon and Fiat palio are the recommendations by fellow Bhpians well i'm 6.1 so in case of palio would the hieght be ok ..and Ford ikon need some help on this please guys... need some serious advice on this from you experts.And not to mention i'm 21 yr old so ...i'm attracted to stylish cars
Hi Krishnavamshi,

Welcome to the same situation as i was in, few months back. Well i am 6.1 too and heavily built. So the choices for car are very narrow.

1. Fial Palio: I sat in the Palio Stile 1.1. The steering wheel is firmly planted on my thighs and cant move the steering. The sales rep himself told me that this car wont suit people of my height. I so dropped it from my list.

2. Santro: I cant even sit in the front passenger side and forget about driving. If you need a car for 5 people, Santro is an absolute no.

3. Ford Ikon: Well..well...i actually bought a Ford Ikon Flair (new car) after t[FONT='Times New Roman']horoughly[/FONT] checking it. Though getting in & out is not very easy...Its very coformtable to drive around even with full family. Rear seat is big and comfy and enough room for 3 adults. Good handling, comfort and very spacious. On the negative side though it might not be as cheap as a Santro in terms of maintenance and repairs.

So my recommendation would be Ford Ikon. I would also suggest a second hand Bolero, if you are not averse for that thing .

Since you are in Hyderabad..you might find good offers on Ikon and Bolero. Bangalore second hand car market is a rip off.

Best of luck in your quest and do let us know what did you bought?

Thanks
-Vaspro
Old 1st January 2008, 14:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Bangalore second hand car market is a rip off.
How did you decide on this? Any specific instance did you come across or is it your feeling. It may not be as you have informed.
Old 1st January 2008, 15:17   #20
BHPian

I believe as vaspro said Ford Ikon will be the best bet.
Old 1st January 2008, 17:16   #21
BHPian

@snaronikar: i made that comment for few futile searches for a second hand car for myself and for one of my friend.
I extensively searched for Bolero and Ikon. My experience is that the car prices are quoted much higher in Bangalore than in other cities especially Hyderabad
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:49   #22
BHPian

Thanks for prompt reply

Thank you for all your inputs people yes i will surely look into ford ikon people can let me know how wagon r would fare...
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Krish,
Two breif suggestions,
1.) Either you know to drive or not, go to a maruti showroom,hyundai and ford, and have a feel of the cars you were thinking about- check things like legroom , rear seat space , seating height for you etc.,.
2.) If you know to drive a car, there are many used car dealers in balkampet(into S.R.nagar) and koti where you can find many cars of the makes you mentioned. You have a look at some, get the prices(will give an idea of market prices- be cautioned they will mention high asking prices but will come down latter), get a test drive if you can- estimate your comfort levels with it.
By then you will be in a better situation to define your requirements and understand fellow bhpians suggestions also. Then, have a look at the template provided in "what car" section and put forth your requirements and options accordingly. This will help you to get a better response and makes all lives easier.:-)
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:36   #24
BHPian

Thank you very much

I'll surely do that this weekend buddy thanks for the advice and yes i'm a beginner just started with cars..
Old 4th January 2008, 00:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Make sure you look around a bit before plonking in for a Ikon, it seems to have quite a few problems once it grows old.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:48   #26
BHPian

what abt esteem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
I'll surely do that this weekend buddy thanks for the advice and yes i'm a beginner just started with cars..
Well, you might be thinking that esteem is only an economical option for a sedan but believe its a drivers car. Esteem mpfi (petrol) churns out 85 bhp of power and is rev happy. Apart from that its rather light body makes it zippier than most other sedans (i read somewhere it scored into top ten postions in 0-100kmph timings). More importantly its low maintenance ,economy makes it good second hand buy. But only problem is as i said the image people have about this car(most think of it as cheap stuff) and the rear legroom is very much limited- much like any maruti hatch. So, though 3 people can squeeze into back seat when a guy like you of 6+ft drives the car, people at back will definetly find their knees screeming with pain.
well, if wanna go for an esteem a well maintained2003/2004 model car might come for around 2.4lakh; in hyderabad petrol esteems are not in much demand.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

to just add in my four words:
Getz
Old 4th January 2008, 15:39   #28
BHPian

Go for the WagonR. It is the most comfortable car for tall people. I'm also 6.1, the only thing you will have to look at it 3 people may not be able to squeeze in the rear. Try it out though.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Getz

Four letters, actually
Old 4th January 2008, 15:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post