Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 00:06   #811
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Hi Team,
Which one would you recommend between Hyundai grand i10 nios sportz AMT and Tata Tiago EV XT Medium?. The car will be sparingly used inside the city limits. The main criteria is, it should be easy to drive and the driver visibility should be good.
Old 18th May 2023, 07:49   #812
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Hi Team,
Which one would you recommend between Hyundai grand i10 nios sportz AMT and Tata Tiago EV XT Medium?. The car will be sparingly used inside the city limits. The main criteria is, it should be easy to drive and the driver visibility should be good.
Considering your requirements, both these cars are great in their own ways, with the i10 Nios being the slightly bigger car, (3815mm X 1680mm X 1520mm) with a 2450mm wheelbase against the Tiago EV (3769mm X 1677mm X 1536mm) with 2400 mm wheelbase. The i10 produces more power at 82bhp whereas Tiago EV produces 60bhp of power but EVs do come with instantaneous torque and all 110nm of torque of the Tiago EV is available from the get-go The i10 comes with 15-inch wheels whereas the Tiago gets 14-inch wheels. The Tiago is a 4-star NCAP-rated car whereas the i10 only gets 2 stars.

As regards features, the i10 is definitely the more feature-rich of the two, now as regards your main criteria, ease of driving and driver visibility, the i10 would be the better choice in both these criteria as well, moreover no range anxiety with the petrol powered i10, however, if your trips are strictly limited to the city and you have another car for your long trips, the Tiago EV could be considered.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 09:01   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
The car will be sparingly used inside the city limits. The main criteria is, it should be easy to drive and the driver visibility should be good.
With low usage, the petrol may be better. The EV would need a little more use to break-even. Else you could also consider the Celerio or Ignis AMT.

Last edited by condor : 18th May 2023 at 09:03.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:26   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
With low usage, the petrol may be better. The EV would need a little more use to break-even. Else you could also consider the Celerio or Ignis AMT.
This!
EV one needs to drive more to break even. BUT the ease of driving, the comfort and the silence!

I would urge to buy the top end though for all the features it has to offer.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 17:12   #815
BHPian

Re: Automatic Hatchback for occasional, city runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnankw View Post
Must Haves
- Smooth automatic (which rules out most if not all AMTs)
Sorry for the ignorance - what's wrong with AMT? (OR - what is an AMT?)
Old 21st May 2023, 17:37   #816
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance - what's wrong with AMT? (OR - what is an AMT?)
An AMT or Automated Manual Transmission is basically a manual with an actuator that operates the clutch and shifts the gears. They are not as smooth in operation as conventional Torque converter ATs or CVTs or DCTs and have a head-nod or jerkiness when changing gears.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 18:58   #817
BHPian

LOL - I didn't realize there was such a thing! Automated Manual is such a contradictory term. I presume there is 100% manual override available all the times?

Looking to buy a small hatchback for parents (city runabout) and would look for non AMT AT options after reading about this now...thanks a ton!
Old 21st May 2023, 20:56   #818
BHPian

Quote:

Looking to buy a small hatchback for parents (city runabout) and would look for non AMT AT options after reading about this now...thanks a ton!
There lies the dilemma of many. Not many options are available if you are looking for a small hatchback which shouldn’t have an AMT.

You have Altroz DCA, i20 CVT and Baleno CVT I believe. You can also look at Amaze CVT (not a hatchback but a compact sedan)

Since you are looking for a car for your parents then Altroz DCA makes a strong case for itself as it has a good ride quality and has good safety tech.

If you are fine with a second hand car then Jazz CVT is a great choice. It’s reliable, pretty spacious and safe.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 21st May 2023 at 20:59.
Old 21st May 2023, 21:39   #819
BHPian

Quote:
LOL - I didn't realize there was such a thing! Automated Manual is such a contradictory term. I presume there is 100% manual override available all the times?

Try an AMT before you write them off. The head nod is grossly over stated. Lakhs of users are using them happily.
Old 27th May 2023, 17:45   #820

Quote:
Hi folks,

We have a car buying dilemma and are hoping to get some good feedback from the best. We are looking for a small city hatchback - which is easy to drive around, park and handle in Mumbai.
An update on my last post - After shortlisting the Altroz DCT and Glanza AMT I have decided to go ahead with the Hyundai i20 IVT (either the Sportz or Asta) and will be buying it soon. The car looks premium, has a smooth CVT and has the Hyundai stamp of reliability. However, I have some points playing in my mind which I wanted to share in case any of you guys have relevant feedback or inputs to clear my mind -

1) The realistic fuel efficiency in the city is a very poor 12 kmpl which makes it expensive to operate. This is not a deal breaker (this is a secondary cars wont do more that 8k kms per year) - but I would have loved a more efficient car, specially if its a hatchback and a CVT at that.

2) There are talks of a new facelift coming out later this year. Does this make it a good time (possibility of discounts) or a bad one (possibility of missing out on a new version) to buy the existing model?

3) (For current owners or people in the know) - Between the Sportz and the Asta(O) - top trim - the only differences I can make out are lesser airbags (missing curtain bags), a smaller touch screen, lower power speakers and missing sunroof. I don't really care about any of that stuff, barring the airbags. But the top trim is also ~1.5 lacs dearer. Any opinions on how I should go about choosing this would be helpful.

Lastly, if there is anything you guys feel I have missed out on, which could impact my experience with the i20, please do share. Thank you!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2023 at 17:47.
Old 27th May 2023, 18:46   #821
BHPian

Quote:
An update on my last post - After shortlisting the Altroz DCT and Glanza AMT I have decided to go ahead with the Hyundai i20 IVT (either the Sportz or Asta) and will be buying it soon. The car looks premium, has a smooth CVT and has the Hyundai stamp of reliability. However, I have some points playing in my mind which I wanted to share in case any of you guys have relevant feedback or inputs to clear my mind -
Which dealers were able to give you a test drive for i20 IVT?

I stay in Juhu and unable to get test drives from any nearby dealers.

Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 18:50   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) The realistic fuel efficiency in the city is a very poor 12 kmpl which makes it expensive to operate. This is not a deal breaker (this is a secondary cars wont do more that 8k kms per year) - but I would have loved a more efficient car, specially if its a hatchback and a CVT at that.
If 12kmpl is poor, I suggest you drop hyundai i20 as IIRC previous gen i20CVT was notorious for single digit realtime FE(7-8kmpl) as confirmed by forum members. Not sure if the current generation has improved but I remember back in 2019 while evaluating an AT purchase, i20 & ecosport both were around 7-8kmpl in city.

Among premium hatchbacks only maruti baleno probably returns a better Realtime FE(~13-14kmpl) atleast in Bangalore. Don’t think mumbai traffic would be much better.

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th May 2023 at 18:53.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 19:28   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
If 12kmpl is poor
And I think 12-14 is the most practical expectation from an automatic in a busy city in India.
Old 27th May 2023, 22:25   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
And I think 12-14 is the most practical expectation from an automatic in a busy city in India.
14 is still high expectation IMO from a petrol AT. 11-12 is what I expected while purchasing an AT back in 2019 and am happy getting that. Would have loved baleno’s numbers(my colleague has it & gets 14ish) but then thanks to its safety creds, settled with Jazz CVT.
Old 27th May 2023, 22:28   #825
BHPian

Yeah. I saw FE of 13.5 in the test drive car when I was deciding over Baleno and Ignis.

Most Viewed