Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 22:18   #751
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 692
Thanked: 388 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Ignis is a great choice. But can you tell me why are you selling the awesome XUV 300? That's actually the safest Indian car now in the market!
My usage is greatly restricted post COVID and with my company pushing everyone towards working from home, the trend will continue. My wife needs a car for her use and she finds xuv 300 too wide to drive..Don't have space for two cars. Honda highness 350 launch got me thinking on these lines but I am yet to decide on it.
Sridhar K is offline  
Old 18th November 2020, 09:43   #752
BHPian
 
RavSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Somewhere in MH
Posts: 551
Thanked: 1,995 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My usage is greatly restricted post...thinking on these lines but I am yet to decide on it.
Oh well! Can't blame the wishes!

I still think that it's more better that she gets used to the XUV 300 then take the depreciation blow!

But then, that's what I think. So if you have calculated everything and planned it then that's good too! All the best!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2020 at 22:37. Reason: Typo
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 04:40   #753
BHPian
 
RiderZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Punjab
Posts: 216
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

My dad is planning to buy either the new i20 or the Toyota Glanza. Strange as those choices may be, those are the only 2 models his heart is set on, after taking a look at the other automatic hatchback options from Toyota/Tata/Maruti etc.. Nexon/Altroz would be better choices I'm sure based on the safety point of view, but family can't seem to go beyond look and feel.

He does not want a manual car, or an IMT one, must be pure auto.

I do not know much about cars, so I just went to the Hyundai/Toyota sites, downloaded the brochures, and made comparative analysis thingies. Based on that analysis, the i20 1.2L IVT Asta seems to be the best bet.

The excel analysis and decision tree diagram stuff is attached below. Anybody has any opinions? Something I missed or made a mistake?

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 966
Size:  47.3 KB

Which Automatic Hatch?-i20-vs-glanza.png
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 05:00   #754
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 5,761 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Personally, I like the Baleno/Glanza better. I assume you're not in the location where your dad lives. I'd let them pick based on their comfort TBH, I don't think there is too much to differentiate between the 2 cars other than features & comfort.

However, depending on which city your dad lives in, service availability is something you should consider. Check this thread on TBHP: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
..but family can't seem to go beyond look and feel.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th December 2020 at 05:07.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:26   #755
BHPian
 
akash_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune | Mumbai
Posts: 738
Thanked: 1,834 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
My dad is planning to buy either the new i20 or the Toyota Glanza.
Are you okay with going pre-worshipped? You'll get cars from 2-3 segments higher which are much better in safety, ride quality and space.

If it has to be within these two, it's a hard choice to make since both of these cars are notorious for some problems. The Baleno was rated 2* by GNCAP while
the Hyundai's of recent days have been plagued by Brake Failure issues. Still, I'd say go for the Baleno/Glanza over the i20.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:36   #756
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 3,347 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
My dad is planning to buy either the new i20 or the Toyota Glanza. Strange as those choices may be, those are the only 2 models his heart is set on, after taking a look at the other automatic hatchback options from Toyota/Tata/Maruti etc.. Nexon/Altroz would be better choices I'm sure based on the safety point of view, but family can't seem to go beyond look and feel.
I think you can lead your dad in Jazz's direction after seeing the horrendously priced i20 I think Jazz makes better sense now than ever before. Let him take a TD and decide.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:47   #757
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 3,957 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Personally, I like the Baleno/Glanza better. I assume you're not in the location where your dad lives. I'd let them pick based on their comfort TBH, I don't think there is too much to differentiate between the 2 cars other than features & comfort.
Between the i20 and Glanza, there is something which will differentiate both cars in a major way!

A couple of safety stars!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 15:53   #758
BHPian
 
RiderZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Punjab
Posts: 216
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Personally, I like the Baleno/Glanza better. I assume you're not in the location where your dad lives.

However, depending on which city your dad lives in, service availability is something you should consider. Check this thread on TBHP: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
Yeah I'm pretty far away from him right now. He lives in Faridabad, so there should be plenty of service centers around, but that's an insane list of major issues, makes me have second thoughts, especially since there are no long term reviews of the new i20 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Are you okay with going pre-worshipped? You'll get cars from 2-3 segments higher which are much better in safety, ride quality and space.
Pre-worshipped is not an option, he buys cars and then keeps them until the thing is crying out for a mercy killing, he still sometimes uses his 1998 Maruti 800, so must be a new car.

Hyundai's reputation has certainly taken a hit, but I thought the brake issues were mainly for Creta/Seltos. He's been using an i10 since 10 years as well without any troubles, so that makes him trust them Koreans a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think you can lead your dad in Jazz's direction after seeing the horrendously priced i20 I think Jazz makes better sense now than ever before. Let him take a TD and decide.
Thanks! I'll ask him to give it a whirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Between the i20 and Glanza, there is something which will differentiate both cars in a major way!

A couple of safety stars!
Not sure if you mean the new i20 will be 4 star, or it will be 0 stars with an "unstable bodyshell"
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 16:08   #759
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 3,957 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Not sure if you mean the new i20 will be 4 star, or it will be 0 stars with an "unstable bodyshell"
Dont know about the new i20 (the jury is out on that), but the Baleno has the worst safety amongst all premium hatches. I would strongly suggest you just feel the Baleno and any other premium hatchback (like the polo) back to back.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:39   #760
BHPian
 
iTwenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 45
Thanked: Once
Default Suggestions for a car under 10 lacs. Hatchbacks, sedans, compact SUVs are all okay.

Hello all. Looking to buy my first car. Need suggestions since there's so many options in my budget (~10 lac INR OTR).

Background

We had an i20 Petrol in our family back in 2009. I was 19 then. It served us well for around 7 years. Then I graduated, got a job and had to move to new city (without the car). Dad, not being very knowledgeable about cars, gave it to some local garages for servicing a few times. Those guys really did a number on the car. I remember taking it on highway once and struggling to get past 80! The engine noise was too damn high, brakes were squishy and there were tons of squeaks and niggles all around. Dad sold it off soon and we haven't had the need to buy another car after that. Until now...

Expected Usage


Very low. Will mostly be used for weekends leisure rides of 200 to 300 kms - and that too not every weekend. I will be using it mainly to get to base villages of hiking spots near Mumbai. I don't expect to monthly running to be more than 500 kms. The car will be sitting idle in parking lot most weekdays.

Mandatory constraints (cannot compromise on these)
  1. Should be safe since most driving will happen on highways.
  2. Should be an automatic. There will be times when I drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Manual simply doesn't cut it for me in such traffic.
  3. No after sales service shenanigans.
Optional constraints (can compromise on these, but would prefer not to)
  1. Fun to drive. I am a sedate driver. My idea of driving zen is to cruise along at around 80 - 100 kmph in middle lane while listening to some post rock.
  2. Should not struggle on mountains. I do expect to do a fair bit on driving on hilly roads.
  3. Apple Carplay/Android Auto. The UX is just better and more consistent than stock experience the manufacturers provide, which is different in every car.
  4. Good ground clearance and suspensions. To reach the base village of any hiking trail, one needs to drive over some pretty rough roads.
  5. Good luggage space.
Cars considered
As I mentioned in the title, I am open to any form factor - hatchback, sedan or compact SUV- as long as it's not too big.
  • Second hand cars - No since this will be my first purchase and I am simply not knowledgeable enough about cars to know golds from turds in the used car market. Also, I want to have that new car feel.
  • Marutis/Hyundais - Rejected since they don't satisfy point 1 of mandatory constraints.
  • Tata Altroz - Was my top choice - till I learned it's only available in manual :(
  • Tata Tiago XZA - Test drove this car and liked it. AMT was a bit jerky though. Could feel the sudden loss of power when it changed gears. Interiors were a bit meh. Boot space and rear cabin space also seemed lacking.
  • Honda Jazz - Will be test driving it soon. Online reviews suggest the petrol engine is underpowered. Rest of the package is quite appealing.
What do you guys suggest? Is it right to outright reject Marutis and Hyundais for lack of NCAP rating, considering most cars in my budget come from these two stables? Any other worthy options I might have missed?
iTwenty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 21:44   #761
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Vizianagaram
Posts: 18
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Suggestions for a car under 10 lacs. Hatchbacks, sedans, compact SUVs are all okay.

IMO, Tata Nexon XMA would be a good fit to most of your requirements.
mr_robot is offline  
Old 14th July 2021, 21:55   #762
BHPian
 
PetrolHead2272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 42
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Suggestions for a car under 10 lacs. Hatchbacks, sedans, compact SUVs are all okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwenty View Post

Mandatory constraints (cannot compromise on these)
  1. Should be safe since most driving will happen on highways.
  2. Should be an automatic. There will be times when I drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Manual simply doesn't cut it for me in such traffic.
  3. No after sales service shenanigans.
Optional constraints (can compromise on these, but would prefer not to)
  1. Fun to drive. I am a sedate driver. My idea of driving zen is to cruise along at around 80 - 100 kmph in middle lane while listening to some post rock.
  2. Should not struggle on mountains. I do expect to do a fair bit on driving on hilly roads.
  3. Apple Carplay/Android Auto. The UX is just better and more consistent than stock experience the manufacturers provide, which is different in every car.
  4. Good ground clearance and suspensions. To reach the base village of any hiking trail, one needs to drive over some pretty rough roads.
  5. Good luggage space.
Cars considered
As I mentioned in the title, I am open to any form factor - hatchback, sedan or compact SUV- as long as it's not too big.
  • Second hand cars - No since this will be my first purchase and I am simply not knowledgeable enough about cars to know golds from turds in the used car market. Also, I want to have that new car feel.
  • Marutis/Hyundais - Rejected since they don't satisfy point 1 of mandatory constraints.
  • Tata Altroz - Was my top choice - till I learned it's only available in manual :(
  • Tata Tiago XZA - Test drove this car and liked it. AMT was a bit jerky though. Could feel the sudden loss of power when it changed gears. Interiors were a bit meh. Boot space and rear cabin space also seemed lacking.
  • Honda Jazz - Will be test driving it soon. Online reviews suggest the petrol engine is underpowered. Rest of the package is quite appealing.
May I suggest the VW Polo.

This car ticks most of the boxes in your requirements list. Firstly, it is a solidly built car that is immensely fun to drive. AT is available in the Highline Plus variant. Plus since your usage would be quite less, I would suggest a petrol car only.

Even when driving uphill, the TSI engine has enough grunt. Although boot space would be a compromise, it still is one handsome looking car. Talking about ASS, do consult your neighbours or known ones about the behaviour of the dealership in your area. If you get a positive feedback from people, then you're good to go ahead and buy a polo.

Thanks.
PetrolHead2272 is offline  
Old 14th July 2021, 22:01   #763
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Vellore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Suggestions for a car under 10 lacs. Hatchbacks, sedans, compact SUVs are all okay.

Hey!
Why don't you have a look at the Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger? Both satisfy your following needs:
1. They are priced below 10 lakhs
2. They've scored a good 4 stars in NCAP (considering the Magnite's result for the Kiger
since they share the same platform).
3. Both cars have wireless Android auto and Apple carplay.
4. Both have a decent amount of boot space (think the Kiger has more)

I don't know much about the after sales experience of both brands. Other members can add on.....
aravindb_0711 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks