Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2018, 17:33   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

I meant better steering, brakes, tires, seats, lights. GT is bad in these aspects but given the stellar price it can be overlooked.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:33   #617
BHPian

I was looking to replace my 50k kms run Polo petrol with GT TSI as I need an automatic car for my city runs. But VW has got good discounts on Ameo Diesel DSG which is coming at a cost lower than GT TSI. I test drove both, and Ameo Diesel is good too. Really tempted to buy Ameo DSG now!
Old 15th December 2018, 17:43   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
I was looking to replace my 50k kms run Polo petrol with GT TSI as I need an automatic car for my city runs. But VW has got good discounts on Ameo Diesel DSG which is coming at a cost lower than GT TSI. I test drove both, and Ameo Diesel is good too. Really tempted to buy Ameo DSG now!
It's a good situation to be in. Polo TSI will give you a bit more fun and youthful looks. Ameo will be more practical with better FE but IMO looks a bit quirky.
Old 18th December 2018, 05:58   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think you need to ask them to take a TD and decide, AMT's roll back on an incline and that may catch them by surprise. That said I've been driven around in an Ignis DDiS AMT and found it to be very refined.
They went ahead and bought the Ignis. So far so good as they seem to like it.
But I did not know that AMTs roll back on an incline. I thought that the creep function would prevent them from doing so.

Last edited by wilful : 18th December 2018 at 06:01. Reason: Added text
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:18   #620
BHPian

Our family is looking for an automatic car for my sister. As she uses a scooter and new to cars, I recommended that she pick up something inexpensive till she and then buy a new one once she's comfortable with driving a car.

But I've heard that older torque converter automatics are heavy on maintenance, especially the expensive transmission fluid. Does it make sense to pick up an old used automatic, like an old i10 or Santro?

Also, how does the Micra CVT rate in terms of maintenance costs, as compared to AMT and TC? The options are the Ignis AMT, Micra CVT and the Gi10 automatic (TC).
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:44   #621
BHPian

Since the car will be more or less used a person who is new to cars, I would suggest you to play safe and go with a reliable and cheap option. I do not have much experience with the older automatic cars so won't be able comment on that. But if you are considering a new car, go for the Ignis AMT or the Grand i10 TC. If the running is on a higher side and you want efficient car, go with the Ignis. If the running is not high and want a feature rich, better quality car, go the Grand i10.

If you are open to other choices, you can have a look at the Tata Tiago AMT which is great on value, Swift AMT is want a better looking Ignis or the Santro AMT if you want good quality but better FE
Make sure your sister test drives all the vehicles, so that she has better idea about how comfortable she is while driving one!

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2019 at 07:46. Reason: Formatted post for better readability
Old 22nd January 2019, 23:12   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Does it make sense to pick up an old used automatic, like an old i10 or Santro?
As long as the car is well driven and maintained, this is the best option.
The fuel efficiency is pathetic but for a new driver getting a hang of things,that should not be a worry.

Hyundai AMT seems to be very good compared to other AMT, based on reviews,in whatever little time it has been around. At a later point, a new Hyundai AMT car can be purchased once the driver is knowledgeable to know what she needs from her car i.e. space,mileage,features etc.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:52   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I meant better steering, brakes, tires, seats, lights. GT is bad in these aspects but given the stellar price it can be overlooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I don't know what you are referring to when you say 'extra kit'. The GTI has paddles. Honestly, one should not expect fancy features in performance cars. I had bought the Polo 1.6 for its performance. It is bare bones otherwise and I really don't miss much. The 1.8 TSI engine of the GTI is kit enough I guess.
I own both cars and the GTI is a completely different car when it comes to the aspects you mention above

Steering - Far more responsive and feelful
Brakes - Bigger discs upfront and discs at the rear instead of drums
Suspension - Lowered tighter suspension with beefed up anti roll bars to give go cart like handling.
Seats - Tartan sports seats up front
Tires - Both are 16s, but GTI gets fatter 215 sections
Lights - LEDs, with DRLs instead of halogens
Interiors and switch gear - Better materials used.

Problem is finding a used one is not easy. Very few cars were sold and the ones that are on resale are either badly abused by boy racers or accident vehicles. VW Palace Cross has 2 wrecked GTIs parked in their compound right now!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd January 2019 at 11:05.
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:01   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I don't know what you are referring to when you say 'extra kit'. The GTI has paddles. Honestly, one should not expect fancy features in performance cars. I had bought the Polo 1.6 for its performance. It is bare bones otherwise and I really don't miss much. The 1.8 TSI engine of the GTI is kit enough I guess.
There are huge discounts on the A3 1.4 TFSI. You might want to give that a look if you want something more interesting.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:32   #625
BHPian

Which Automatic Hatch under 15L? I have shortlisted below cars.

Requirement: Will be primarily driven by my wife who has learned driving on my Endeavour. She can easily maneuver hatch or CSUV considering she mastered driving on Endeavour but it has to be strictly automatic.

Swift - Not sure how AMT works my wife is comfortable with Torque Converter.
i20 - Asta AT variant is not fully loaded else I could have finalized this. Pathetic Hyundai.
Baleno - Not sure if Maruti is worth buy. Hate the build quality they get pimples and dimples quite easily.
Nexon - Anyone experienced Nexon AT?
Ecosport - Brilliant dragon series but already have a Ford, can try some other brands.
Polo TSI - This seems to be the best in business but Volkswagen service is a hit or miss.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:41   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
i20 - Asta AT variant is not fully loaded else I could have finalized this. Pathetic Hyundai.
You do get the Asta (o) AT which is the fully loaded variant now.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 12:08   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
O
But I've heard that older torque converter automatics are heavy on maintenance, especially the expensive transmission fluid. Does it make sense to pick up an old used automatic, like an old i10 or Santro?

Also, how does the Micra CVT rate in terms of maintenance costs, as compared to AMT and TC? The options are the Ignis AMT, Micra CVT and the Gi10 automatic (TC).

It makes very good sense to pick up I10 automatic if you can get one which was reasonable maintained. Because you can not abuse an I10 automatic beyond a point. Major drawbacks would be mileage, with light foot it would give 9-10kmpl and any sort of aggression would easily drop it below 9kmpl. Only extra maintenance would be brake pads as with any other automatic. Need not worry about ATF, though it would cost 20k for complete replacement in Hyundair showroom and about 14-15 k in FNG, it need to be done at 1.2L Km of ODO. I have a 2009 one which i bought two years back for my wife. ODO was 52k at the time of purchase and now 66k, no troubles and maintenance is similar to any 65k run vehicle. Service cost would be 6-8k 6-12 months based on usage. Recommended is 5k or 6 months but I do it about 8-9months and 7 k of usage.
Old 28th January 2019, 13:07   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may want to test drive the Jazz. I have no complains till date in the last 3 months driving in the city. Comes in VX CVT which is the top variant (I would not use the term fully loaded).

The i20 CVT now comes in Asta (O) variant which again is the top trim.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 13:07   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You do get the Asta (o) AT which is the fully loaded variant now.
I just checked the i20 India website, I can't find the same in the current brochure. Maybe I can try checking in Hyundai showroom directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Comes in VX CVT which is the top variant (I would not use the term fully loaded).

Why does they removed some features from AT variant or you mean to say it is short on features as compared to i20. What is the average you get in city?

Last edited by roby_dk : 28th January 2019 at 13:10.
Old 28th January 2019, 16:31   #630
BHPian

Quote:

Requirement: Will be primarily driven by my wife who has learned driving on my Endeavour. She can easily maneuver hatch or CSUV considering she mastered driving on Endeavour but it has to be strictly automatic.

Swift - Not sure how AMT works my wife is comfortable with Torque Converter.
Baleno - Not sure if Maruti is worth buy. Hate the build quality they get pimples and dimples quite easily.
Nexon - Anyone experienced Nexon AT?
Ecosport - Brilliant dragon series but already have a Ford, can try some other brands.
Polo TSI - This seems to be the best in business but Volkswagen service is a hit or miss.

One option that seems very interesting to me is Yaris lower end versions. It is a solid car with 6 airbags and automatic at all levels. Below 15 L it could fit it.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks