Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 06:03   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

I am not entirely sure if the diesel vs petrol debate makes any sense anymore from a financial perspective.

Diesel has come fairly close to petrol prices per litre and if you factor in the initial higher acquisition cost of the diesel there is no financial reasons to go for it.

It is now a personal preference.

Diesels offer better fuel economy, slightly higher torque

Petrols are way smoother and typically offer longer service intervals. Overall NVH is better too. I think petrols are more reliable.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:10   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I am guess 22km denotes round trip distance. In that case petrol is good enough.
==========
Whether petrol or diesel, I would give a hard look at the Amaze launching tomorrow. It has received good reviews for both petrol and diesel, and looks to be a much better car than the outgoing model.
Thanks for your reply. It's a 22 km round trip. I also assumed petrol would be good enough. I've been trying to get a hold of Honda for a test drive but I suppose a lot of people might be as well. I have a feeling it might be out of my budget and also the CVT only comes in the mid variant though. Staying away from AMT's as I've read they're quite jerky to handle.

I've seen a couple of good GT TSI's for sale. 2017 models with less KM driven. Could that be a good option? I think perhaps the average of the car would seep into my pocket.
Old 16th May 2018, 13:27   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
I've seen a couple of good GT TSI's for sale. 2017 models with less KM driven. Could that be a good option? I think perhaps the average of the car would seep into my pocket.
Was just about to suggest that. Regarding FE, none apart from the AMT's will give you anything above 11-12kmpl in heavy traffic. However, if you want an all-rounder multi-purpose car, new Baleno CVT or used Jazz AT(since the new one is priced closer to the moon) are the no-brainer choices.

If you are lucky you might even get 3 year old City CVT for just under your budget.
Old 26th June 2018, 14:00   #544
Senior - BHPian

One of my dotted line boss wants a car for his parents aged 65+ in Mumbai and wanted me to suggest him the best options available. I suggested him to look for
1) Petrol car
2) Automatic version
3) Safety kit comprising of Airbags & ABS as minimum
4) Low maintenance

The budget for the above is 10L and FE is not a huge road block criteria.

Based on the above I suggested:
1) Honda Jazz AT
2) Ford Figo AT

Any other suggestion from experts that I should be recommending.
Old 26th June 2018, 14:31   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Honda Jazz AT
2) Ford Figo AT

I would remove the Figo AT in its current avatar. The DCT gearbox could require high maintenance and Figo is themselves replacing it with TC gearbox in a couple of months. The Aspire could launch as early as July.

I would suggest Hyundai i20, Baleno and Amaze over Jazz too. At its current price Jazz seems pretty overpriced compared to these 3, while these 3 offer more features at a lower price point.

If he wants a tall boy for good ingress, give a brief look at Ignis.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 15:03   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
One of my dotted line boss wants a car for his parents aged 65+ in Mumbai and wanted me to suggest him the best options available. I suggested him to look for
1) Petrol car
2) Automatic version
3) Safety kit comprising of Airbags & ABS as minimum
4) Low maintenance

The budget for the above is 10L and FE is not a huge road block criteria.

1) Honda Jazz AT
2) Ford Figo AT

If they want a smaller car for ease of driving/parking, the following deserve a mention:

Grand i10 Sportz AT - 4 speed TC unit - (+ve easy to drive, -ve low FE)
Brio VX AT - 5 speed TC unit - (+ve easy to drive, -ve low ingress)

Jazz and i20 come in 2 AT trims, but those cars are a size bigger and the senior citizen may want to avoid driving a bigger car in the city.

If Figo is being looked at, it is suggested to wait for a few months for the facelift to be launched.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 21:02   #547
BHPian

Looking for a pre-owned automatic hatch. This will be our second car (with our Innova doing primary responsibilities), however given the convenience of automatics, I would not be surprised if they switch roles.

Since we looking for pre-owned options, not many exist and almost narrowed down to the Honda Jazz CVT (which based on reviews I understand the CVT masks/hides the primary weakness of the 1.2L engine - low end drivability).

Any other contenders that I am missing out on?
Old 8th July 2018, 08:11   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Looking for a pre-owned automatic hatch. ...almost narrowed down to the Honda Jazz CVT.

Nissan Micra with some good deal. If open for a DSG than Polo GT TSI. The most fun car today within the segment. You can also find Figo New with DCT. Heard its good.

But overall if you are a sedate driver and want very high reliability and near zero downtime, Jazz CVT is the way to go.
Old 8th July 2018, 13:01   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Looking for a pre-owned automatic hatch...
+1 to Jazz CVT.

What about i10 / i20 Automatic, if mileage is not a big concern?
Old 26th July 2018, 08:27   #550
BHPian

Hello All,
I have a 9 year old Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna, driven around 71k. It is my first car and so loads of first memories associated with it.
However over the last few months, I have been contemplating of replacing it, primarily because looking for a more spacious car and also next year I will have to pay road tax which I am not sure off.

Now looking at my requirements, it has to be:
1. Petrol (7 years of actual driving with 71k, not too much miles crunching required)
2. Automatic - CVT only (Kolkata bumper to bumper traffic is keeping my legs and mood not entirely happy)
3. Spacious ofcourse.
4. Budget - around 8 lacs.

Now though this thread talks about only hatch, but for me other segments are also ok.

With this idea, the first test drive happened with the new Amaze V CVT variant.
This was my first automatic experience and I loved it actually.
Liberating was the experience of not moving my left leg constantly on the pedal.
Mostly driven around on D mode and I didnt feel any such lag etc. Coming back to space, ofcourse rear legroom is more than enough but 3 adults in rear seat needs some jostling around.

Amaze VCVT is costing 8.70 lacs INR and they are yet to come back on the i10 resale value.

There is a feeling that Amaze CVT is bit overpriced with respect to the creature comforts offered by competition.

Today I am going to test drive the Baleno CVT.

Now I need your guidance on which of the cars from yours actual running experience would fit my requirement.
I will be driving all practical options but need your guidance as well.

Thanks and cheers,
Roy
Old 26th July 2018, 09:55   #551
Senior - BHPian

@redeye10 If you are expecting better interiors and more features you will have to settle for a premium hatch rather than a sub 4 metre sedan.
i20 CVT , Jazz CVT , Baleno CVT , Amaze CVT , Dzire AMT are the popular options available around 9 lacs range.

FYI i own a Baleno CVT , its quite a decent car. Though i find it quite overpriced and the build quality and light steering are one of its major drawbacks IMO. Do have a look at the Jazz CVT its quite a capable car.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 10:30   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@redeye10 If you are expecting better interiors and more features you will have to settle for a premium hatch rather than a sub 4 metre sedan.
i20 CVT , Jazz CVT , Baleno CVT , Amaze CVT , Dzire AMT are the popular options available around 9 lacs range.

FYI i own a Baleno CVT , its quite a decent car. Though i find it quite overpriced and the build quality and light steering are one of its major drawbacks IMO. Do have a look at the Jazz CVT its quite a capable car.

Thanks @karanraheja!
For i20 CVT, my concern (yet to be verified) is the rear bucket seat which may prevent a comfortable seating for 3 adults.
Jazz CVT is also in my radar.

For Baleno, I was primarily looking at Delta CVT which is almost a lac more than the MT version.

But how is the CVT performance in Baleno?
Ofcourse light build of Baleno is a concern - however I found new Amaze to be around 30 kilos more in kerb weight than Baleno.

Pardon my ignorance
Old 26th July 2018, 12:53   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
I have been contemplating of replacing it
I am actually on the same boat.
9 year old i10 Asta AT, 94k done, and looking for a loaded premium AT hatch.
Have certain garage restrictions, so the new car absolutely cannot exceed 4 m lenth x 1.7 m width.
Only the Jazz is falling in the above criteria.
Wonder if I am missing to consider any other car.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 13:08   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Thanks @karanraheja!
For i20 CVT, my concern (yet to be verified) is the rear bucket seat which may prevent a comfortable seating for 3 adults.
Jazz CVT is also in my radar.

For Baleno, I was primarily looking at Delta CVT which is almost a lac more than the MT version.

But how is the CVT performance in Baleno?
Ofcourse light build of Baleno is a concern - however I found new Amaze to be around 30 kilos more in kerb weight than Baleno.

Pardon my ignorance
Baleno performance is good - more due to the lighter weight. As of now i have not faced any rattles . If you do have occasional highway trips, i would request you to skip the Baleno .
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:26   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Only the Jazz is falling in the above criteria.
Wonder if I am missing to consider any other car.
You can look at compact sedans. Since they are based on smaller hatchbacks, they are generally narrower, a complaint some have had.

Amaze would likely be a better buy than Jazz, and its much better priced. I would also assume the upcoming Aspire to be in similar category. The Xcent is another option, though it would be considered significantly below Amaze and Aspire.

Most Viewed