Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 15:58   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,373
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Looking for a Hatch, after our 8yrs old i10AT. Like to stick to AT (preferably CVT). Is there any other option other than Baleno below 10L?
I heard i20 AT is in chords. Can we see that on roads soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
i20 AT is already available. But in a lower variant (I think Magna) and with a huge premium.

CVT you have the Jazz and Micra and if you are open to other AT technologies you have several other options like the Figo DCT, Ignis AMT, Swift/Dzire AMT's etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
My mistake, looks like they stopped it (or it just died a natural death). It had been launched in late 2016 (News Link (Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!) )

i20 CVT in the facelift model is supposed to be launched in May 2018.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4352088
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 16:22   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 1,028
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
My mistake, looks like they stopped it (or it just died a natural death). It had been launched in late 2016 (News Link (Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!) )
Looks like waiting to check this in May is worth and then choose between Jazz and this one.

Bit irrelevant to this one: Any news on all new Polo (GT TSI, of course)?
agbenny is offline  
Old 14th April 2018, 22:11   #513
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,277
Thanked: 20,695 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Car used so far: Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Sold into the family)

Usage: 40 kms per day in city only (Currently in Hyderabad then will be transferred to Mangalore along with my Creta).

Replacement options looking for:
  1. Ford Figo 1.5L Petrol DCT
  2. VW Polo GT TSI

Requirements:
  • FE
  • Better build
  • Overall Quality
  • Ease of driveability (I know it is an AT already)
  • Space isn't a concern as it'll be a solo used
a4anurag is offline  
Old 14th April 2018, 23:07   #514
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,899
Thanked: 35,023 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Car used so far: Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Sold into the family)

Usage: 40 kms per day in city only (Currently in Hyderabad then will be transferred to Mangalore along with my Creta).

Replacement options looking for:
  1. Ford Figo 1.5L Petrol DCT
  2. VW Polo GT TSI

Requirements:
  • FE
  • Better build
  • Overall Quality
  • Ease of driveability (I know it is an AT already)
  • Space isn't a concern as it'll be a solo used
2 best options for you are Brio and Ignis.

Figo and Polo don't satisfy FE criteria. Secondly for city use, best to avoid DSG.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 20:13   #515
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,619
Thanked: 22,477 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Usage: 40 kms per day in city only (Currently in Hyderabad then will be transferred to Mangalore along with my Creta).
Mangalore in general has never been notorious in terms of traffic gridlocks or for that matter a pain to drive in peak hours city.

Since you have mentioned 40Kms per day, I am sure you would know the source and destination that you will have to travel to and from in Mangalore.

For below 2 needs and Mangalore as the place to drive daily, I think you can as well consider the manual options unless you are already pampered now by the ease and experience of driving Auto boxes.

Quote:
Requirements:
  • FE
  • Ease of driveability (I know it is an AT already)
But do let us know what you finally decided based on your needs!!

Or you meant Hyderabad (if so, makes sense)?

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th April 2018 at 20:19.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 20:24   #516
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,277
Thanked: 20,695 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Sorry for not mentioning it clearly in my original post, the car is for my wife. I am happy with my Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
2 best options for you are Brio and Ignis.
At Mangalore we just sold off a WagonR VXi (2013) and Brio VX (2013) for the new car that will be booked in Mid-May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For below 2 needs and Mangalore as the place to drive daily, I think you can as well consider the manual options unless you are already pampered now by the ease and experience of driving Auto boxes.
Car is for my wife, hence AT is primary need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
But do let us know what you finally decided based on your needs!!
99% it is Polo GT TSI (in White).
a4anurag is offline  
Old 15th April 2018, 20:48   #517
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,619
Thanked: 22,477 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
99% it is Polo GT TSI (in White).
That will be indeed lovely pick I would say. Loads of fun to have with that hot hatch and you will end up driving it most of the times than your better half !

And In a way, I am glad that their products are finally finding buyers who were really not very keen few years back including you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nothing to be surprised at all. Arrogance, poor customer relations, No response to questions, head-strong attitude - all are the qualities with the staff at VW dealership/ASC. Nothing is clear be it during sales or service. Any uninformed customer will be taken for a royal ride.



A similar issue that happened with me when I went to VW dealer to TD the Polo GT TDl.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3319108

These guys do need to learn and improve. They do need to learn the way Maruti and Hyundai work in India. The volumes sold by Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai are mind boggling so will be the number of vehicles to be serviced at the respective ASC's.

Swift response, clear billing, positive smiling attitude (read greeting/welcoming) all need to be incorporated by the staff at VW for people to walk in their dealership.

Note: No offence to VW owners. This is my personal experience.
It is certainly a positive trait and they have come a long way to ensure that perceptions changed and their buyer base increased. Please to know you will be one of them!
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 20:57   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,277
Thanked: 20,695 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is certainly a positive trait and they have come a long way to ensure that perceptions changed and their buyer base increased. Please to know you will be one of them!
I agree.

Thanks for digging out that old post when I had gone for TD'ing the Polo GT TDI. VW dealers in Hyderabad too are being helpful for TD's done so far. Happy that they are changing.
a4anurag is offline  
Old 15th April 2018, 21:04   #519
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,572
Thanked: 4,500 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mangalore in general has never been notorious in terms of traffic gridlocks or for that matter a pain to drive in peak hours city.
Slowly, but surely, Mangalore is getting there. With an eye on the future, an automatic is the way to go for city usage - heck, even for a town like Udupi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
99% it is Polo GT TSI (in White).
Why do I get the feeling that this has more to do with Polo's mod-friendly nature
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 21:07   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,277
Thanked: 20,695 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this has more to do with Polo's mod-friendly nature
Oh yes.

I've shortlisted many already on what all can be done even before booking the car.

But it'll not be too extensive as it's not me who'll be using it primarily.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 22:33   #521
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 288
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

I'm facing one of the biggest dilemmas of my life till now. Couple of months back we decided to buy a second car for my wife who has just learnt driving. We already have Skoda rapid diesel which we plan to keep for 3-4 years more.

The new car should be automatic, should be easy to drive and should have good overall visibility. Although the budget was max 8 lacs, we decided to stretch till 11.5 lacs only for POLO GT TSI or EcoSport Trend.

Short listed Ignis, new swift, and Tiago ( all variants under 8 lacs). After the test drives, eliminated marutis as we could not adjust to the sad build quality.
Now we have two options in front of us
1. Tiago XZA - 6.9 lacs on road Bangalore, good build quality, good music system, good visibility, ticks most of the boxes. However, have doubts about the AMT gearbox. Will be used strictly in the city. No highway runs in a small car.

2. EcoSport trend - Again, ticks most of the boxes. Bigger car than Tiago. Can use it on the highway. May not need to buy a bigger car as an upgrade to Rapid for 4-5 years. Better gearbox (TC), touchscreen and reverse camera. However, it is costly by 4.5 lacs compared to Tiago.

We can stretch and buy EcoSport if we can convince ourselves on the value addition. However, we are not able to decide. Any valuable thoughts, advice which would help us decide are welcome.
Lambydude is offline  
Old 10th May 2018, 23:06   #522
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 1,644 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
I'm facing one of the biggest dilemmas of my life till now. Couple of months back we decided to buy a second car for my wife who has just learnt driving. We already have Skoda rapid diesel which we plan to keep for 3-4 years more.

The new car should be automatic, should be easy to drive and should have good overall visibility. Although the budget was max 8 lacs, we decided to stretch till 11.5 lacs only for POLO GT TSI or EcoSport Trend.

Short listed Ignis, new swift, and Tiago ( all variants under 8 lacs). After the test drives, eliminated marutis as we could not adjust to the sad build quality.
Now we have two options in front of us
1. Tiago XZA - 6.9 lacs on road Bangalore, good build quality, good music system, good visibility, ticks most of the boxes. However, have doubts about the AMT gearbox. Will be used strictly in the city. No highway runs in a small car.

2. EcoSport trend - Again, ticks most of the boxes. Bigger car than Tiago. Can use it on the highway. May not need to buy a bigger car as an upgrade to Rapid for 4-5 years. Better gearbox (TC), touchscreen and reverse camera. However, it is costly by 4.5 lacs compared to Tiago.

We can stretch and buy EcoSport if we can convince ourselves on the value addition. However, we are not able to decide. Any valuable thoughts, advice which would help us decide are welcome.
Highway runs, usually, if you have a diesel car lying around, you will prefer that one only.
Happens with our Manza and Tiago too.
So your Rapid will serve well for the highway trips. The 2nd car is purely city use and maybe the one off highway. Rarely. Tiago AMT is no issue in the city. Can vouch for it. 1 year and 6237 kms done. Including a few highway trips. Auto in city mode is perfect for city. Occasionally for fun can use sports mode too. Helps.

My 2 paise. Save the money. Doesn't seem justified to go all the way upto a EcoSport. If you really wish to spend the the Polo GT TSi is a good car to drive too. There's the Nexon AMT too. Compact SUV. Snazzy. Better FE in city than EcoSport (referring only to Petrol Automatic here). Otherwise, sky is the limit. I would love to have a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper S as a city hatch. :P
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 07:07   #523
BHPian
 
cogWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mangaluru
Posts: 139
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
...The new car should be automatic, should be easy to drive and should have good overall visibility. Although the budget was max 8 lacs, we decided to stretch till 11.5 lacs only for POLO GT TSI or EcoSport Trend...
If you are looking for an easy to drive AT city runner as a second car, the Tiago AMT offers great value amongst the current options.

If visibility from driver's seat is important, make sure that in your test drives, you assess the blind spots created by the A pillars in the Ecosport.

If you are willing to wait a bit, the face lifted Ford Figo that is expected to come with updated petrol engine, suspension, interiors and a torque converter AT box may be a good alternative. For about a lakh and half more than the Tiago, it could offer a better engine (1.2L dragonfire), better safety (6 airbags), smoother AT and probably better handling.

Last edited by cogWheel : 11th May 2018 at 07:28.
cogWheel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 09:19   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 1,916 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Have you considered the Ford Freestyle? Seems to tick all your boxes.

Do be aware though - Ford DCT box seems to be problematic (even more than the VW DSG).
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 09:54   #525
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 288
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Have you considered the Ford Freestyle? Seems to tick all your boxes.

Do be aware though - Ford DCT box seems to be problematic (even more than the VW DSG).
I doubt if Ford Freestyle has an automatic variant. IMO it has only manual
New 2018 EcoSport automatic comes with torque converter gearbox and not DCT.

Last edited by Lambydude : 11th May 2018 at 09:56.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks