Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 16:15   #691
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Try finding a sparingly used Honda Brio AT. The size is comparable to the Santro and is more fun to drive and has a proper Automatic. The only downside will be poor FE.

I Don't think there will be a product expected in the segment in the near future except a rumour that Tata working on a car smaller than Tiago. So I don't think waiting would help either.

The Santro Sportz AMT will give you the best Amt experience around, at least right now. Other than that, I personally feel it is on the expensive side and lacks on basic safety features like co driver airbag.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 16:34   #692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I am looking for a small automatic hatchback. The main requirement is that it should be very small. I consider even grand i10 and tiago big.
Santro is 3610mm, Tiago is 3746 and Celerio is 3600; is 14cm a dealbreaker? Reviews say the Santro's AMT is among the better ones. The Santro wasn't there when I bought the Tiago XZA as a second car. Even today, I'd pick it over the Santro. Take a TD to guage how small is okay for you.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 22:25   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a small automatic hatchback. The main requirement is that it should be very small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
Try finding a sparingly used Honda Brio AT.
I agree. Most Brio ATs won't be heavily used and you should be able to get yourself a Brio for a low price. I think it'll be better than any of the options you've mentioned- it is clearly a class above and has got one of the best 1.2 L engines + AT combo. FE will be slightly lower though.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 22:35   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a small automatic hatchback. The main requirement is that it should be very small. I consider even grand i10 and tiago big.
A Brio is 35 mm wider than Santro (even wider than the Grand i10 & Tiago), though being exactly the same length.
If that's not a big deal for you, go for an used Brio AT. It has a 5 speed Torque converter autobox which is any day better than even the smoothest AMT.

Santro dimensions:

Overall Length (mm)3,610
Overall Width (mm)1,645
Overall Height (mm)1,560
Wheelbase (mm)2,400

Brio dimensions:

Overall Length (mm) 3610
Overall Width (mm) 1680
Overall Height (mm) 1500
Wheelbase (mm) 2345
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 22:44   #695
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a small automatic hatchback.
There is is 15 cm difference between Santro and Tiago. That's a palm length difference, which is not much. I think what is helping you in Santro is the higher seating position of the tall boy which gives you more confidence. And that's why you should also try out Ignis AMT. Comes with a bigger engine and more safety features and is 9 cm longer.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 17:54   #696
BHPian

Thanks all for the help.
@DPetrolHead, @landcruiser123 @blackasta Agreed. Used brio is a good option. However I am not keen on buying a used car. Nothing can match the smell of a new car.
As for santro being expensive, all cars are expensive these days. In fact celerio AMT top spec is 6.9 lacs.
@libranof1987 @autorahul . You are right. Tiago isn't that big. The concerns are, 1. 3 Cylinder engine. 2. Resemblance to indica from front. 3. Service are reliability. Also the reviews suggest santro amt is much superior to tiago amt. Btw I am not impressed with the styling of Ignis.
So it appears santro is the only option for me. I am surprised there aren't too many sensible options in this segment.
Old 12th April 2019, 08:28   #697

Looking for a new AMT ride for my wife.
I've shortlisted tge below options :
1. Renault Kwid - cheapest of the lot
2. Maruti Suzuki Ignis - brand and after sales service
3. Tata Tiago - looks like a better overall package
4. Hyndai Santro - smoother gearbox???!!!

My wife is a first time driver and I've personally always driven manual. So any suggestions would be great.
beingsuplab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 10:11   #698
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest, keep Kwid out of the equation. The car is just not upto segment standards.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:42   #699
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Hope you are referring to the comprehensive AT guide here: (The Comprehensive Guide to Automatic Cars (2019 edition))

For a list of AT hatches you can refer my segment wise list here: (The Comprehensive Guide to Automatic Cars (2019 edition))

For your ready reference to AT Hatch,
Which Automatic Hatch?-allsub4mamt_hatch.jpg

For entry level A and B1 segments only AMT options are available.
The top contenders are, (in no particular order)
- Santro
- Tiago
- WagonR/Celerio

For those looking at Alto, Kwid, RediGo as their only/first car should consider upgrading to the list above. It's more VFM in the long run for the marginal increase in EMIs. (my thoughts)

For TC, CVT, DSG you need to upgrade to B2 segment.
Which Automatic Hatch?-allsub4mat_hatch.jpg

Here the list is divided, (my take):

Enthusiast's AT
- Polo GT 1.2L TSI DSG
- Ford 1.5L Ti-VCT TC

Premium (family) AT [CVT]
- Baleno
- Elite i20
- Jazz

Micra best bought pre-owned as a second car!

Grand i10 AT is the underdog here, Hyundai peace of mind at the cost of mileage (low). With the face-lift around the corner let's see how it turns out!

Happy choosing!
--surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 12th April 2019 at 12:44.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 23:54   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hope you are referring to the comprehensive AT guide here: (The Comprehensive Guide to Automatic Cars (2019 edition))
In a fix between Celerio vs Tiago! Maruti’s after sales and service is tempting ( owner a wagon-r MT earlier) - whereas Tiago offers a very good overall VFM package! Will be glad if your wisdom could help me come out of the fix

Last edited by ampere : 19th April 2019 at 07:02. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 19th April 2019, 03:00   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijaychand87 View Post
In a fix between Celerio vs Tiago! Maruti’s after sales and service is tempting ( owner a wagon-r MT earlier) - whereas Tiago offers a very good overall VFM package!
Any reason to ignore Wagon R 1.2 AMT. The engine is far superior to both Celerio and Tiago? There is 20-25k difference in price between the Celerio 1.0 and Wagon R 1.2 and Wagon R is a brand new model with all safety features and more features too.

Also coming from a Wagon R, you would be in best position to see its virtues as an extremely practical car.

Last edited by ampere : 19th April 2019 at 07:02. Reason: trimmed quoted post
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 08:08   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Any reason to ignore Wagon R 1.2 AMT. The engine is far superior to both Celerio and Tiago?
My curious case of Benjamin button!! Just wanted to have a different car in the parking lot - and also this one would eventually beck e a second car - with a mini-SUV occupying the podium. A worthy suggestion though - will burn some Neurons over that! Thank you
Vijaychand87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 11:53   #703
BHPian

My wife is looking for an Automatic Hatchback with a strict budget of 4 -5 lacs. Cant stretch for higher segments. She test drove Redigo, K10, Celerio and Kwid. Of all she liked Redigo. She feels very comfortable when driving Redigo. I was suggesting that Datsun is not a reliable brand and pushing for Alto K10. Not able to convince her. Has anyone bought a Redigo AMT in our forum. If so, how is the reliability of the car and performance of service centers in Chennai particularly? I am more worried as to the company shutting down after we buy the car?

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2019 at 07:36. Reason: Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2019, 18:43   #704
BHPian

Looking to buy an AMT or CVT for a distance of around 45KM's per day. I've been looking at the Tiago and Santro. Any suggestions on any other cars I should be looking at? This would be in Mumbai, so yeah, city traffic et all.
Old 26th April 2019, 20:13   #705
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
Looking to buy an AMT or CVT for a distance of around 45KM's per day. I've been looking at the Tiago and Santro. Any suggestions on any other cars I should be looking at? This would be in Mumbai, so yeah, city traffic et all.
Since you are doing 1k+ km per month, I suggest you avoid AMTs.

I would not go for a model without dual airbags- Santro. But its BS VI ready engine tips the scales in its favour.

If BS VI is not an issue (it isn't, for some. A personal thing.) Tiago would be good.

Edit - AMTs do have some abnormal wear and tear issues. Please search the forum for relevant threads and see if you can live with those issues.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th April 2019 at 20:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks