Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 09:32   #736
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

This thread has been very inactive and let me add something here.

We had sold our second car (Grande Punto 90HP) an year back after we were blessed with a boy child forcing my wife to stop commuting to work for about 6 months. After resuming work, she started using apps such as Quickride to commute to and from work. Lately, we had been finding issues w.r.to reliability of this method, especially during odd hours (early morning at 6am and 3pm). Hence I'm now in search for one and needs are:
  • Upper limit on OTR cost is Rs.6L
  • Petrol Automatic
  • Decent FE numbers
  • Decent enough power in city. We aren't bothered about highway performance

Having good rapport with a nearby TATA outlet (our big car is a Hexa), we tried Tiago XZA. Though we got about Rs 40k discount on the OTR, we were bothered about the typical AMT box sluggishness. Also I think the car is tuned for highways as well. Then tried a Santro Sportz AMT and we were blown away - the AMT is just amazing, enough torque for city, lot more equipments and about Rs 20k lesser than TIAGO XZA (it is discount season in Hyundai now). We are not interested to buy a Maruti (safety concerns) or a Kwid (safety/ASS concerns) or a Figo(ASS concerns).

So in my opinion, if you are looking for a second car which is for city and automatic, Hyundai Santro is a strong option. Opinions invited.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 13th December 2019 at 09:34. Reason: Added a sentance
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:04   #737
BANNED

Are non-AMT options available in 6l budget? I mean CVT or DCT or err... DSG?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 14th December 2019 at 09:07.
Old 14th December 2019, 09:21   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Are non-AMT options available in 6l budget? I mean CVT or DCT or err... DSG?
May be you can get only the DSG GB and not the car
One can look for a pre owned Polo GT TSI. But make sure there is scope of extending the warranty and the car is not abused. Stay away from remapped ones and with over the top modifications done.

For a new one, there are less options. Tiago being the best of the lot.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 10:45   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Opinions invited.
Figo is currently out of production. Most likely (hopefully), it'll come back with the same 1.5L, 3 cylinder, NA, balancer shaft equipped petrol + 6 speed TC (as opposed to a Mahindra source 1.2L turbo petrol + AMT).

Just hope they add a 6 airbag variant this time, and don't make one choose between safety and convenience a la Hyundai.

My opinion being, not only does Ford have more than decent ASS in Bangalore, the Figo 1.5 AT with 6 airbags would by far be the pick of the lot. Not as well built as regular Fords (let alone a Polo) and stupidly lacking Sync 3 would be the only pain points. That engine and gearbox combo is really top notch (try it in the EcoSport or Aspire), without any of the TSI+DSG reliability woes.

Heck, if it comes out with 6 airbags, I'll buy it without a second thought even though Ford ASC in my city is beyond garbage (think bad roadside mechanic, and then some).

AMTs are an absolute no-no in my book (though I haven't driven the new Santro AMT you laud so much, I've never yet been impressed by an AMT, no matter who and how many have described one as "tolerable"/"good"/"not as bad as usual" etc.)

Last edited by Mu009 : 14th December 2019 at 10:50. Reason: Added some stuff.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:14   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
AMTs are an absolute no-no in my book (though I haven't driven the new Santro AMT you laud so much, I've never yet been impressed by an AMT, no matter who and how many have described one as "tolerable"/"good"/"not as bad as usual" etc.)
AMTs like Santro's do make sense to city driving - great FE, less cost. For people like me who wants to buy a second car primarily driven for the purpose of Point A to Point B travel within city, it definitely makes sense. Hyundai AMT is with electric actuators which is very fast compared to those Magneti Marelli ones.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 16th December 2019 at 10:15. Reason: grammar
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 10:20   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Figo is currently out of production. Most likely (hopefully), it'll come back with the same 1.5L, 3 cylinder, NA, balancer shaft equipped petrol + 6 speed TC (as opposed to a Mahindra source 1.2L turbo petrol + AMT).

I bought a Figo automatic recently. Its mainly intended for driving in 5 kms radius and certainly not for family road trips.

I second your opinion, we are too much into this bling of Santros and Balenos. Figo is a excellent car. Light build but certainly not like Marutis.

The engine gearbox is a superb combo. I dont think anything lesser than Abarth or the GTI would be giving this fun in the hatch back segment. You should drive it to feel it.

You can soft drive my car to feel the woomph...Bangalore traffic being little cold this time of the year you can really enjoy the car.

I know few dealers who have one or two - september,october manufactured figo in stock as per 3rd week of November. Being a slow mover they still might have. PM me if anybody really interested.

Last edited by aadya : 16th December 2019 at 10:21. Reason: additional info
aadya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 08:47   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I second your opinion, we are too much into this bling of Santros and Balenos. Figo is a excellent car. Light build but certainly not like Marutis.
For someone who wants to buy a second car (I had stated this very clearly in my post) for point A to point B city drive, there is really no fun factor being sought. My second car won't see highway in its life time. Cars like Santro really does make sense in practicality. So putting a blanket statement like "we are too much into this bling of Santros and Balenos" won't chime well. Needs are different for everyone. I thought this is a thread to help forum members to arrive at decisions and not to debate on it.

Update: I will be taking delivery of Santro Sports AMT Anniversary Edition. Got around Rs.40k cash discounts. We are getting parking sensors (along with reverse camera which is standard with Sportz AMT) and few cosmetic updates (a roof rail, door protection, dual tone exteriors etc) which I don't really care about.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:23   #743
BHPian

Dear sir,

Quote:
for point A to point B city drive, there is really no fun factor being sought
In that case a Maruti Alto or a Kwid should have served the purpose of providing four wheels, a roof and an Air-Conditioner. We see something more in the choices we make.That is the reason we make those choices.

Quote:
a blanket statement like "we are too much into this bling of Santros and Balenos" won't chime well.
Yes , it doesn't chime well as our choice is being criticised. When I said "We" it included me too(hence a blanket). I too like Baleno, Santro and Nios for the way they look and for the value they offer. Infact I had booked a Santro Sporz AMT, followed by an Anniversary edition. I have cancelled both because the showroom played tantrums and failed to provide me VIN before transferring the money. But I did change my choice only after I drove the Figo(aspire) and came to know of the fact that it has a Torque Converter and not the DCT. When I meant bling the looks pushes lots of people towards those choices rather than the real merits-demerits of the car.

Quote:
I thought this is a thread to help forum members to arrive at decisions and not to debate on it.
Exactly, It is those debates and Counter points that make this forum a treasure trove of information, which in turn lets you make an informed decision. There are plenty of fanboy pages-websites for many cars, particularly Hyundais, which can very well praise your choice,if you feel it to be praised.

Quote:
I will be taking delivery of Santro Sports AMT Anniversary Edition.
Congratulations, Its a very good car at that price point, no doubt, with lots of bling(particularly the Aqua Teal which I was so much impressed with). I have owned three Hyundais so far and would have been happy to own one more.
aadya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 18:59   #744
BHPian

Quote:
AMTs like Santro's do make sense to city driving - great FE, less cost. For people like me who wants to buy a second car primarily driven for the purpose of Point A to Point B travel within city, it definitely makes sense. Hyundai AMT is with electric actuators which is very fast compared to those Magneti Marelli ones.
Hi I'm planning for the santro as well. How is the vehicle any pluses, any disappointments?
Your views on this please.

I own a Hexa as well and used to own an i10.
The i10 was high maintenance and low fuel efficiency, so I have a slight hesitation for another Hyundai.
Otherwise I had no complaints with my erstwhile i10. I used the i10 for about 10 years before I gave it to my niece and it's still going strong.
Old 27th August 2020, 22:57   #745
BHPian

Hi. Is there any automatic hatchback sold in India which has the option of 6 airbags in any variant?
Old 28th August 2020, 00:16   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Hi. Is there any automatic hatchback sold in India which has the option of 6 airbags in any variant?
I believe the upcoming Figo with a TC will be offered in its Titanium Blu variant, which has 6 airbags.
Also the upcoming i20 may have 6 airbags like the outgoing Asta model paired with a CVT.
But nothing in current market as of today. As per my knowledge. May be a Mini Cooper? But that comes under a premium category, if that’s what you are looking. Technically it’s a hatchback too.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:11   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post
Hi I'm planning for the santro as well. How is the vehicle any pluses, any disappointments?
Your views on this please.
No disappointments so far - wife is super happy. The only disappointment is the ongoing Covid scenario which is not making her drive much around.

Coming to the point - New Santro is supposed to be one of the cheapest to maintain in its category - so not much worried on that front I would say. To get real feedback would need us to go till first paid service - so would reserve comments till then. Car is extremely refined with an amazing AMT box and comes with a very good ICE unit which can carry my wife's whole world along with. It serves well for the purpose of A->B connectivity within the city and it is just good enough for doing that. On manual mode one can do some spirited driving and car needs to be worked on heavily - otherwise, it likes to be calm and quiet. Cheers.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 2nd September 2020 at 09:12.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:38   #748
BHPian

Quote:
No disappointments so far - wife is super happy. The only disappointment is the ongoing Covid scenario which is not making her drive much around.

Coming to the point - New Santro is supposed to be one of the cheapest to maintain in its category - so not much worried on that front I would say. To get real feedback would need us to go till first paid service - so would reserve comments till then. Car is extremely refined with an amazing AMT box and comes with a very good ICE unit which can carry my wife's whole world along with. It serves well for the purpose of A->B connectivity within the city and it is just good enough for doing that. On manual mode one can do some spirited driving and car needs to be worked on heavily - otherwise, it likes to be calm and quiet. Cheers.
Thanks exactly what I am looking for A to B safe commuter.
Will TD for my spouse, hope the seat height matches her or they have a adjustable seat variant.
Old 17th November 2020, 21:27   #749
BHPian

I am looking for a small automatic hatch with budget of around 8-8.5 lakhs on road, primarily for my wife. The car should be short and not wide. A minimum 3 star GCNAP rating rules out Hyundais, Kwid, Redigo, Celerio, Wagon R, Swift etc.

The other choices are Baleno CVT but it is too wide, Jazz is not as wide but long. Polo is too expensive. No Renault and Nissan with the poor after sales support

The current front runner is ignis AMT, because it is at least 3 star rated, myself and wife like the looks despite the rear which looks slightly better now with the spoiler, great engine, decent AMT, mileage, decent handling and peace of mind of owning a Maruti. I hear that the EPS is better tuned in the 2020. Plus an upgrade to 185/195 rubber will help improve the steering feedback to augment its pretty decent handling.

Personally would have picked Tiago XZA+ but the engine and the AMT on the ignis are better than the ones on the Tiago. My first tryst with Tata through Manza was short lived. Though I sold it off due to a sentimental reason, it had some niggles, the car was out of action for 10 days due to an alternator failure (replaced under warranty) and constant niggles with power window switches, indicator stalks etc. and poor re-sale value. The experience was much a much longer and better with Maruti through my Swift. So, wife is not keen on a Tata.

Wish Ignis had a CVT or Figo/Freestyle is available with an AT or Honda had continued the Brio. I am willing to wait till Feb 2021 max to buy the new car. Our family vetoes me by buying any pre-owned vehicles.

Ignis AMT is not available off the shelf (4-6 weeks), only a discount of 20K + 5 K corporate discount in Chennai only. Does not make sense to buy now but rather wait for a 2021 built vehicle. Some of the dealers have a few Jazz CVT in their yards which are available with 50k-60k discounts which is tempting but my wife considers it too long for her. Any one in Chennai looking at Jazz CVT, can PM and I can give the co-ordinates of the SA.

Probably will trade my XUV 300 AMT and get a ignis + Highness 350 if I get a good rate on my XUV 300
Old 17th November 2020, 21:54   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Probably will trade my XUV 300 AMT and get a ignis + Highness 350 if I get a good rate on my XUV 300
Ignis is a great choice. But can you tell me why are you selling the awesome XUV 300? That's actually the safest Indian car now in the market!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks