Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 11:43   #721
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 241
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Test drove the Ford ATs(Ecosport,Aspire) and bought the Jazz CVT recently. Here's what I noticed....in bangalore)
That was a great post. Honestly, I have not yet started test driving vehicles yet. But here's my problem. I tend to veer towards the TSI and the 7-speed gear box all the time. I agree with what you said about the Jazz CVT; I've driven it a bit. The Ford interiors are a downer and that could put a spanner in my plans.

I somehow have developed a negative bias of Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki over the years and it is difficult to get over it. Sadly, even Toyota is getting into that same august group for me.

I guess I will have to wait for sometime and hope a good used VW or Skoda comes by.

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 12:07   #722
BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: B'lore
Posts: 694
Thanked: 1,155 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I tend to veer towards the TSI and the 7-speed gear box all the time.
Your heart seems to be yearning for the VW/Skoda. Trust me no other car will come close to those when it comes to AT or build quality. Why don't you try out Vento TSi? It has good space & the TSI-DSG combo going for it. And now they have added 5 or 6 years warranty as well. That should take care of unseen issues

Else used car route is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I somehow have developed a negative bias of Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki over the years and it is difficult to get over it. Sadly, even Toyota is getting into that same august group for me.
That's something no one can help with. We feel, what we feel. Even my previous car(Estilo) was a maruti. Seeing service bills of 7-8k every year I have outgrown the preconceived notion of Maruti=Cheap-Maintenance, far from it. Heck my friend's 2015 Ecosport bills were lesser than mine at times

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th May 2019 at 12:09.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 14:40   #723
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 241
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Your heart seems to be yearning ...rol
You are absolutely right. I used to drive a Passat 118 TSI and that's when it had me. Octavia is out of my budget and I guess, Vento is the only option. I hear there is a new look Vento coming soon? Or is that just a rumour?

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 20:58   #724
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 46
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

I am planning to replace my 12 year old Alto LXi with an automatic hatch.

The car is expected to be exclusively used by my wife, almost exclusively within the town (Pondicherry) and adjacent areas, with no plans to take it on to the highways (my Linea T Jet will take care of trips out of town).
The use is expected to be pretty low (in 12 years the Alto completed only 52000kms).

So, basically I am looking at a relatively inexpensive hatch with automatic/AMT gear box and one which is suitable to drive around in the town, by a lady who is relatively short statured.
Would like to keep the car for as long as possible (10 years or so).
An added bonus will be a car which takes care of child safety.

May I request suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!
sparameswaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 21:08   #725
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,242
Thanked: 1,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

So, basically I am looking at a relatively inexpensive hatch with automatic/AMT gear box and one which is suitable to drive around in the town, by a lady who is relatively short statured.
Would like to keep the car for as long as possible (10 years or so).
An added bonus will be a car which takes care of child safety.

May I request suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!
Why don't you look at the new Santro? I would have also suggested the Celerio, but my neighbor is owning current gen and had issues with clutch within couple of years.

I did not suggest Alto/kwid since you mentioned child safety.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 21:10   #726
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,268
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Short stature means?

Kwid?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 21:46   #727
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 46
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Short stature means?
Height 150cms.

Did a test drive of Celerio and she complained that she can't see the road properly. The AMT version do not have driver seat height adjustment (manual top end version has)!

Any options in addition to New Santro and Kwid?
What about Tiago?

Not keen on the Micra (being Nissan).

Anything else in similar price range and friendly for short statured drivers?

Thanks.
sparameswaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2019, 10:00   #728
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,242
Thanked: 1,030 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Height 150cms.

Any options in addition to New Santro and Kwid?
What about Tiago?

Anything else in similar price range and friendly for short statured drivers?

Thanks.
Tiago is a good car too(though i don't have much experience with AMT) however the price would be bit higher. You will get a much powerful engine for the price though.

Other options could be the new WagonR and Ignis(Tiago price range).

Since you plan to keep the car longer, 1.2L engine with AMT might offer you a smoother experience compared to 1.0L engines.

BTW, i am owning AltoK10 (run 11K) and i found this to be better than other cars running on same engine(Celerio/WagonR) due to the lighter bodyweight. Mind you, that does not make it safer though. It is just OK for pure city drives.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th July 2019 at 10:04.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2019, 10:19   #729
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 168
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
I am planning to replace my 12 year old Alto LXi with an automatic hatch.

The car is expected to be exclusively used by my wife, almost exclusively within the town (Pondicherry) and adjacent areas, with no plans to take it on to the highways (my Linea T Jet will take care of trips out of town).
The use is expected to be pretty low (in 12 years the Alto completed only 52000kms).

So, basically I am looking at a relatively inexpensive hatch with automatic/AMT gear box and one which is suitable to drive around in the town, by a lady who is relatively short statured.
Would like to keep the car for as long as possible (10 years or so).
An added bonus will be a car which takes care of child safety.

May I request suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!
Grand i10 automatic. Although the sports variant ( top end in automatic) does not have height adjustable driver seat, the seat height shouldn't be a problem for short drivers. My wife is 152 CMS and she comfortably drives in Bangalore City traffic. She is new to driving.
Also, now that new grand i10 is around the corner, the current version will be getting good discounts. Automatic has a torque converter gearbox and is an excellent city car.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2019, 11:08   #730
BHPian
 
Hickstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: TS09 & PY04
Posts: 172
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
I am planning to replace my 12 year old Alto LXi with an automatic hatch.

May I request suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!
I suggest you to go either for Grand I 10 automatic or Swift AMT.
We bought a Swift VXi AMT very recently and are happy with it.
We ruled out Grand I 10 due to feedback of low FE figures.
Maruti's AMT combination with 1.2L engines is pretty good and very smooth compared to it's 1.0 L engines.

Last edited by Hickstead : 9th July 2019 at 11:11.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2019, 19:39   #731
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 46
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Thanks for the very useful inputs!
Had not really thought about the Ignis, looks like a good option.
I found the suggestions that the combination of 1200cc engines with AMT is smoother compared to 1000cc engines - had not really thought about this either.
Price is not exactly a serious limiting factor (though I don't want to splurge); so I am OK to look at Ignis, Tiago etc.
Would prefer a smaller sized car and hence would prefer Ignis/Tiago over Swift.
Grand i10 seems to be notorious for being a guzzler and this is a concern, given the short runs and slow traffic in the town in which the car is going to be used almost exclusively.

I have decided to have a look at (and test drive) Ignis and Tiago.
sparameswaran is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 11:49   #732
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,242
Thanked: 1,030 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

I have decided to have a look at (and test drive) Ignis and Tiago.
Great to hear that. Even the new WagonR comes with the same 1.2L engine option in case you are looking for the tall-boy option.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 16:03   #733
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 15
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Yes you are absolutely right about the space.
I am 5'10'' and the headroom felt to be just adequate for me. 6 footers will definitely face issues.
I drive a Figo 1.5 TDCI and I am 6'. I never faced any issue till date and its been 2 years that I am using Figo. I think space inside is not as cramped as it seems.
Prav_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 17:32   #734
Newbie
 
ankitsharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UP-14,Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prav_Panther View Post
I drive a Figo 1.5 TDCI and I am 6'. I never faced any issue till date and its been 2 years that I am using Figo. I think space inside is not as cramped as it seems.
Front seats are good I was mentioning about back bench.
ankitsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 17:49   #735
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 15
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Front seats are good I was mentioning about back bench.
Hi Ankit. Thanks for clarification. I have to agree with you on this. Due to sloping roof, headroom at the rear seat is a bit compromising for taller folks but obviously not a deal breaker.

Cheers.
Prav_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX swiftnfurious Long-Term Ownership Reviews 77 26th January 2019 12:02
Wanted a diesel CVT automatic hatch! pgsagar The Indian Car Scene 30 13th October 2012 09:15
WagonR (automatic) or Santro (automatic) Blue Thunder Hatchbacks 6 24th August 2007 08:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks