Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 22:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Spinny.com

Quote:
I received token amount of 10K and rest of money was transferred via IMPS before delivery.
So these guys simply 'buy' the car irrespective of finding a suitable customer to sell the car to? Also when you say "delivery", you mean before they pick it up from your place or delivery it to the final customer like the way Cars24 does?

Last edited by Eddy : 7th October 2021 at 17:13. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 7th October 2021, 17:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would like to share my good experience here, with the Spinny.

My old car (VW Polo 1.2 MPI) had to be sold.
The car was more than 9years old, and had it's fair share of dings/dents.

After some unpleasant experiences trying to sell it on my own, I gave up and turned to selling the car to private organizations like Spinny, Cars24, Dealerships etc.

I first checked with the Dealership from whom I had purchased my New Vehicle.
They gave a quote which was at the lower end of my expectation.

The next in line, was Cars24.
Cars24 is a well-known low-baller, and to add insult to injury, they charge some Rs500 for a evaluation as well.
I promptly avoided them.

At this juncture, I reached out to Spinny.
After I registered my interest with them, they promptly sent down their Inspector.
The Inspector spent a good 1 Hour, assessing the vehicle.

Once the Inspector was gone, their 'Backend' Team reached out to me, and shared their quote.
The quote was very good, and was 80K more than what the Dealership was offering.
Without wasting any further time, I immediately gave them the Green Signal.

The next step was of the sharing of Soft Copy of documents, like Cancelled Cheque, PAN Card, RC Card.
Once verified, their Representative reached my residence within the next hour.
The representative took my signatures on the agreement, RTO forms etc., and once I gave the final consent, initiated the RTGS Transfer.
The money hit my account after 15minutes, post which they collected original RC, Signed RTO forms etc. and the Vehicle itself.

After 3-4 days, I was able to see my own car, on their website.
Within the next 2-3days, it was displayed as 'Booked'.
Meanwhile, I patiently waited for the RC Transfer to be initiated.

A few days later, I saw an application filed against the vehicle number in Vahaan.
Subsequently, after a couple of weeks, the RC Transfer has been completed, as confirmed from mParivahan.
I saw the new owner's name in the mParivahan against my old car number, and I was overjoyed.

Overall, it was a really stress-free car selling transaction with Spinny.
abhishek46 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:19   #18
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My 2013 WagonR is up for sale and Spinny came to check it out today.
They did a very thorough inspection and test drive. The evaluator certainly knew his job.
An hour after he left I got a message from them with their offer which, though not great, is quite acceptable as all 4 tyres will need replacement soon.

Now I understand that they will give me a "Seller's Agreement" and a Delivery Note. I will have to sign the relevant RTO forms which, I guess will be blank forms.

No doubt, the car will then be touched up, polished and put on their web site.
If I am lucky, the car will be sold as quick as "abhishek 46's" VW Polo.

My question is : What if it is not sold for 2 weeks or longer?

As far as I know, it is the seller's responsibility to inform the RTO within 14 days of the sale of the vehicle but if I don't have an actual name and other documents of an individual, what do I do?
Would appreciate the experts advice on this please.

I can see mainly good experiences with Spinny on this thread but as the old saying goes, "There's always a first time"!!

I certainly don't want to get caught up in any legal hassles as I am not living in Bombay on a permanent basis any more.

Awaiting your valuable inputs..
Warm Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

My question is : What if it is not sold for 2 weeks or longer?

As far as I know, it is the seller's responsibility to inform the RTO within 14 days of the sale of the vehicle but if I don't have an actual name and other documents of an individual, what do I do?
Would appreciate the experts advice on this please.

I can see mainly good experiences with Spinny on this thread but as the old saying goes, "There's always a first time"!!

I certainly don't want to get caught up in any legal hassles as I am not living in Bombay on a permanent basis any more.

Awaiting your valuable inputs..
Warm Regards,
SS
Hey, I did have a good experience with Spinny in terms of price and smooth process.
However, its been more than 3 months my vehicle is still not transferred.

On contacting Spinny they simply said vehicle is with us and you need to worry about anything, as soon as its sold we will transfer RC immediately.
He refrained from giving me any time commitment.

This part was really
goenkakushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 23:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Hey, I did have a good experience with Spinny in terms of price and smooth process.
However, its been more than 3 months my vehicle is still not transferred.

On contacting Spinny they simply said vehicle is with us and you need to worry about anything, as soon as its sold we will transfer RC immediately.
He refrained from giving me any time commitment.

This part was really
This is my point exactly. How long does one have to wait for them to find a buyer. What if the car is used for some illegal activities or is involved in an accident? Will the Seller's Agreement and/or Delivery Note be of any use to me?

Regards,
SS
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
What if the car is used for some illegal activities or is involved in an accident? Will the Seller's Agreement and/or Delivery Note be of any use to me?
In case of any untoward incident (God forbid), the agreement and delivery note will serve as ample proof in your favour. Also, you can show the credit transaction in your account as an added proof that you indeed handed the car over to Spinny and received an amount against this sale.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 06:33   #22

I too am in the process of selling my 8 year old i10.

Fingers crossed!
Old 11th January 2022, 10:40   #23
BHPian

I sold my 2016 Baleno through Spinny. The overall experience was great and the price offered was ~70% of the on-road price I paid, excluding accessories. Their staff were very professional; car evaluation was detailed and friendly, person who coordinated end to end was prompt and helpful and the person who did final documentation was fast and friendly too.

The experience had some glitches too which I think Spinny should fix to avoid customer frustration. A few issues I faced, mostly minor
  1. After the evaluation was completed, site showed status as 'Doorstep pickup completed' and a couple of messages as if I already sold the car.
  2. When I clicked to schedule doorstep pickup, it showed 'Schedule doorstep evaluation'!
  3. Agreement in 'Sign agreement' was showing up as blank. Their support team had no clue. While I figured it out and went to sign, Digilocker gave 'Name mismatch'. Their support team again was clueless and suggested that it is because of abbreviated/expanded last name between Aadhar and RC. They suggested that I may have to change my name in Aadhar . Turned out they are picking up the name I gave during sign-up and not the one from documents. Editing profile fixed this issue.
  4. Just a few hours before the pickup, their lead for my car called me and said that they need an 'OEM Check' ! He was not sure why; apparently their system flagged to do so. He guessed that is because I had replaced the engine wiring harness, and two years of service history was missing with OEM. He told that their 'backend team from Bangalore' knows what to do and they will come with me to service center and guide me. Spinny will pay 50% if the cost is above Rs. 1000 or will pay full. The person who came with me just knew he had to 'check engine sound'. All of them were clueless, with person who evaluated my car insisting car is perfectly fine. They were also debating that the check doesn't make sense as the wiring harness was replaced from the same service center. While this was annoying, they were prompt and courteous. The person who came with me called up a manager of all these folks involved and got a go ahead promptly to proceed without an 'OEM check', saving the day. Full payment was made immediately through RTGS; and car picked up in another 45 min which included 25min drive back home.
Overall very happy! I understand such confusions do happen occasionally but they handled it well!

Last edited by impala : 11th January 2022 at 10:43.
impala is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
I sold my 2016 Baleno through Spinny. The overall experience was great.
Thought I should update fellow bhpians on this. Two weeks out, Spinny hasn't yet listed my car for sale. First time when I mailed them asking when the car will get listed, they responded about RC Transfer! When I mailed again, they responded with a mail that doesn't answer much :

"We would like to inform you that it will take time because post procurement, the car goes for refurbishment, and then our team start listing it online. We appreciate your kind patience and understanding in this regard and we look forward to hearing from you!"

Further, when I followed up on the phone, "Every car is not listed for the sale" is the gist of the message I got; and they did not have any clue on when it going to get listed. So, not very transparent once you handover the car to them. I think one challenge with how Spinny operates, similar to what I observed in my observation #3 above, the departments work in isolation and the team that you can talk to over phone/email has no clue on what is happening elsewhere.

Last edited by impala : 24th January 2022 at 10:52.
Old 24th January 2022, 16:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Thought I should update fellow bhpians on this. Two weeks out, Spinny hasn't yet listed my car for sale. First time when I mailed them asking when the car will get listed, they responded about RC Transfer! When I mailed again, they responded with a mail that doesn't answer much :
Hi impala,

Most used car dealers will have a list of enquires they receive from potential customers just like any other sales business. So based on the requirement they might directly reach out to people looking for specific cars once they have the same in their inventory. For all you know your car might already have been sold and they must be waiting for ownership transfer to notify you.

I agree, Spinny should atleast inform you but this is what generally happens and as they say not all cars get listed. Case in point my Punto that I sold to Ford assured was never listed but sold immediately. But I was notified of the ownership transfer after it was done close to 4 months later.

Also in my case the car being 9 years old, the finance method chosen by the next buyer was one where he had to pay 2 consecutive EMIs on time before the financier released the ownership transfer papers for transfer. Atleast they were transparent about it and told me they will not consider this car sold till ownership was transferred.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:55   #26
BHPian

I did try selling my 2018 Verna SX(O) 1.6 VTVT AT with only 6000km on the odo via Spinny. The car was in pristine condition - regularly serviced at the A.S.S, with extended warranty, and with no dings, dents, or accident history. I was selling it because I was looking at upgrading to an SUV.

While signing up for a free inspection on Spinny, I was told that my car could fetch anywhere between 9.8 - 11.3L depending on the condition - I have a screenshot of that. The inspection took place and was quite thorough - the vehicle inspector was well-experienced, and examined multiple aspects of the body, engine, gearbox, tires, electricals, and so on.

Despite being in fantastic condition (which the vehicle inspector agreed to), I was lowballed with an offer of 9.8L. I tried reasoning with the customer support person that this was at the bottom of the range they had initially quoted, and their own inspector had vouched for the condition of the vehicle to be far superior than many others in the market.

Spinny refused to budge so I declined and ultimately used good old WhatsApp to spread the word and found a buyer who was willing to pay 11L. The vehicle transfer has also been initiated by the new buyer and I have the evidence of that from the vaahan portal.

Net-net - not sure if I would recommend Spinny if one is looking at getting the most competitive offer, and for me the biggest learning is that the actual value one can expect if they were to bypass the middleman would be at least 10-12% more than what Spinny (or Cars24) would offer.

Last edited by TNAWAYAJ : 25th January 2022 at 14:57.
Old 26th January 2022, 00:52   #27
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I sold my 8.5 year old WagonR to Spinny in mid November 2021.

They had been chasing me for 2 months as I had asked for an online valuation on their website.

The inspector they sent arrived on time, was polite and well experienced. Checked the car thoroughly and we went for a test drive as well.
They quoted a fair price (50% of the purchase price after 8.5 years) and after 48 hours (during which I got the car assessed with OLX and Cars 24), not having got a better offer, I agreed to their quotation.

The sale was completed the next day and the cash was deposited in my bank account within 30 minutes after which they took delivery of the car.

Two weeks later there was no sign of the car on their website. On enquiring with their sales team, I was told it was being re-furbished. Seemed a bit strange to me as the only job that needed doing was to fit new tyres and new tail light covers. Which should not take more than 1 day at the most.

One month later - the same story.

Six weeks later still no sign of my car on their website. This time the sales guy tells me that the car has been sold and RC transfer is in progress. Not sure who would buy the car if it was not advertised, but, maybe similar to the post by "BHP'ian Shanksta" below.

Now another 2 weeks have gone by and the RC is still in my name.
I am just hoping this gets done quickly as I am now getting concerned.
I am also wondering how I will get a copy of the new Owner RC for my records and also to claim my 50% NCB from the Insurance Company.

Summary : The inspection and sale process was smooth though neither the Inspector nor the sales guy had any proper ID cards from Spinny.
After the sale, there is absolutely ZERO follow up from their end. They need to improve on this front in a big way.
In fact, "BHP'ian Impala" nailed it in his post below.
No transparency and the right hand does not know what the left is doing!

Regards,
SS
Old 26th January 2022, 10:17   #28
BHPian

If I remember correctly. The sales agreement executed by them had a clause stating that Spinny will transfer the vehicle within 90days.

Its been more than 6 Months since I sold my vehicle to them. There is no progress with regards to RC transfer.
Last month I dropped a mail to them about this issue, they simply replied saying my vehicle is parked at Spinny's secured parking lot and will not be used by anyone until sold.

They did not give any commitment about RC transfer .
Old 27th January 2022, 13:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
If I remember correctly. The sales agreement executed by them had a clause stating that Spinny will transfer the vehicle within 90days.
This is what the agreement says: "Notwithstanding, Seller submitting all documentation for the transfer of the registration certificate, Buyer agrees to make reasonable efforts to assist the transfer of such registration certificate within a period of 120-180 days from the date of delivery. Seller agrees that Buyer has no liability for delay in transfer of registration certificate for reasons beyond Seller’s reasonable control, including but not limited to receiving statutory approval for registration certificate transfer from the RTO office."
Old 24th February 2022, 18:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I sold my 8.5 year old WagonR to Spinny in mid November 2021.

Two weeks later there was no sign of the car on their website. On enquiring with their sales team, I was told it was being re-furbished. Seemed a bit strange to me as the only job that needed doing was to fit new tyres and new tail light covers. Which should not take more than 1 day at the most.

One month later - the same story.

Six weeks later still no sign of my car on their website. This time the sales guy tells me that the car has been sold and RC transfer is in progress. Not sure who would buy the car if it was not advertised, but, maybe similar to the post by "BHP'ian Shanksta" below.

Now another 2 weeks have gone by and the RC is still in my name.
I am just hoping this gets done quickly as I am now getting concerned.
I am also wondering how I will get a copy of the new Owner RC for my records and also to claim my 25% NCB from the Insurance Company.

Regards,
SS
An Update : On the 8th. of February 2022, I received an SMS from "Spinny" saying my car had been sold and RC transfer had also been completed.
I called them up to check and was told that the car was actually sold on 29th. December 2021 (Which was not the information I was given previously) and the Transfer was completed on 8th. February 2022.
Sounds about right as it takes about 35 to 40 days to do a vehicle transfer in Bombay.

They were not able to tell me if "my" old Insurance had been transferred to the New Owner.

I was really happy to hear this and went to the "Vahaan" site immediately to check.
Yes! The car has been transferred but I have no way of knowing who the Owner is as the name is partially blanked out.

I got in touch with "Spinny" to ask for a copy of the new Owner's RC Card and the new Insurance Policy but they have point blank refused to disclose any information about the "Buyer".

Without this information, I cannot approach the Insurance Company for my NCB Letter.
Can anyone here suggest a way of getting around this?

I really can't see the need for all this secrecy on the part of "Spinny" and am rather annoyed about it. I expected total transparency but obviously I was expecting too much.

Regards.
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks