Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 19:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I have a small query. We own a Swift petrol K series. It has a service interval of 10K km/1 year (whichever is earlier). The car is not likely to clock 10K km every year. In that case, is it necessary to get the servicing done every year (even if the car hasnt run for 10K km since the last service)? Or will it be fine to wait till 10K km are completed?

Of course, till the car is in warranty period, we will have to get it done according to the specified schedule. But after warranty, AFAIK it will be ok to get it serviced after 10K km instead of 1 year, isn't? Please guide.
Old 14th November 2010, 20:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

To keep your warranty you have to adhere to 10K kms or 12 months whichever is earlier schedule. You overshoot the period by say even 2 weeks and they will surely give you hell at the time of a warranty claim.
Old 15th November 2010, 03:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
To keep your warranty you have to adhere to 10K kms or 12 months whichever is earlier schedule. You overshoot the period by say even 2 weeks and they will surely give you hell at the time of a warranty claim.
I have given my DDIS with a delay of 2 weeks and they just took it without any questions. Guess I was lucky. But I did ask them before. And they replied its fine Sir, 10-15 kya baat hai upto 1 month delay chaljayega.... not more then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
I totally agree with you on that, BUT does MASS allow the user to give his own parts/liquids for regular service?
Cause last time I checked , they refused to accept my mobil delvax mx for the oil and told me that they'll only use the oil they have i.e. some castrol.

If that is the case, then I might look at some savings from the estimated 20k service cost of ~6k

Cheers

GT

Mass does accepts consumables supplied by the customers as long as they meet the parameters. You just need to show them, that you are an informed customer and you wont take whatever they would throw at you.

A good SA will never argue when you are giving a good quality Engine OIL then what MASS gives.

FYI - My DDIS has been doing exceptionally well after I got the Engine OIL and Filter changed at 16K. OIL used is Delvac MX. I thank experts here to recommend this OIL for DDIS.

Last edited by tush : 15th November 2010 at 03:31.
Old 15th November 2010, 06:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very well aware of this. But my query was, is it necessary to adhere to 1 year interval (even if the distance run is less) after warranty?
Old 15th November 2010, 06:39   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
I have given my DDIS with a delay of 2 weeks and they just took it without any questions. Guess I was lucky. But I did ask them before. And they replied its fine Sir, 10-15 kya baat hai upto 1 month delay chaljayega.... not more then that.
You have misunderstood Khoj. He never said they won't take your car for servicing if you are late.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I am very well aware of this. But my query was, is it necessary to adhere to 1 year interval (even if the distance run is less) after warranty?
I personally don't find anything holy about 10k/1 year interval. After expiry of your warranty, if your running is less, if I were you, I would wait up to whatever time it takes to run 10K km. Just keep checking motor oil/coolant levels at regular interval. Also keep a look out for parts that may begin to rust. I've read on this forum that mineral motor oil tends to lose its consistency with age, even if it is not run through its life in mileage. I personally won't take this statement at face value, or for that matter argue against it. There may be some merit in it. But, there was a time when my first car (Wagon R) wasn't driven beyond few 100 KMs for 3 years straight (I was out of country). Nothing happened in particular, beyond some issues with battery. I went for the next due service only after 8-10K km, regardless of the time that had expired since last service. Everything went OK.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:00   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As per Swift handbook, Air Filter needs to be changed only at 40K, not 20K if it's Petrol.
Is yours a Petrol or Diesel Swift?
Petrol. And you are right. Recommended level is 40k for petrol and 20K for diesel. I use a blower to clean my air filter about every 2 months. I don't know if that's the right way, but each time a whole cloud of dust is blown out around while cleaning. Even after taking care, I found my air filter to be extremely soiled. Since it's cost was insignificant in comparison to the expected final bill, I found it prudent to change it out-of-turn. No harm done beyond 100 odd Rs, but should result in better engine breathing.

Quote:
The only time already balanced wheels need to be balanced is when they are removed from the wheel i.e. when repairing puncture in a tubed tyre.
Otherwise, balanced wheels stay balanced. No need to balance them at regular intervals.
I agree, but partially. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that driving on bad roads might cause some mis-alignment, and accidentally going through big potholes at speeds fast enough to cause the vehicle to bump might cause some wheel distortions to warrant balancing, more so with regular non-alloy wheels.
But at any rate, getting it aligned/balanced costs much less at non-MASS workshops, so I would recommend to not get it done through MASS.

Quote:
What's the diff between SF & SM Grade?
Look at this guide.
In a nutshell, SF grade is meant for engines which are 1988 or older. All API grades are backward compatible. That is, SG supersedes SF, SJ<-SH, SL<-SJ, SM<-SL, etc. Maruti recommends "SE or better" for vehicles as new as 2009 manufactured. Most motor oil manufacturers like Petronas recommend SL at least while our sarkaari ones like Indian Oil SERVO are still stuck with SF. There are several good reasons to upgrade to newer specifications. For instance newer specifications have better TBN(Total Base Number) and KOH(Potassium Hydroxide) levels to better neutralize acids produced in the engine, and to generally keep the engine cleaner.

Quote:
There is a good chance that he would have topped it with either tap water or distilled water. That's probably why you weren't.
Maybe. But the SA didn't say so. Also the coolant didn't look "watery" or less viscous which I assume would be the case if diluted with water.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Apologies! I did not pay attention to the second para in your post. After the warranty period in case of low running it is good to get the servicing done at least once a year. That is what I do with my parents vehicles. However I do a sort of full service in the sense that I replace engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter and coolant. For liquids and belts I replace them per the schedule given in the owner's manual.

In fact many experts advise that cars with low mileage should be serviced more often than cars with regular mileage but I believe once a year is OK.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:17   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the warranty period in case of low running it is good to get the servicing done at least once a year. That is what I do with my parents vehicles.
In fact many experts advise that cars with low mileage should be serviced more often than cars with regular mileage but I believe once a year is OK.
This was exactly my concern. Our earlier M-800 used to complete the specified 5K km in 8-9 months and we would stick to the distance for getting the car serviced. But now considering the distance of 10K km, it will take nearly 2 years for the car to run that much. I was not comfortable at all with the thought of a 20 month service interval, thought it would be too long.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

All,
My Swift P has run 20,000 km and is due for its 4th service. I am dumb struck at the ways and means which the A.S.S use to fleece people. Can any one of you guys please tell me what are the things which are required to be done mandatorily? Or is it enough if I check the owner's manual?

Looking forward to hear from you.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:23   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
All,
My Swift P has run 20,000 km and is due for its 4th service. I am dumb struck at the ways and means which the A.S.S use to fleece people. Can any one of you guys please tell me what are the things which are required to be done mandatorily? Or is it enough if I check the owner's manual?

Looking forward to hear from you.
Just check the manual.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:55   #102
BHPian

Yes, everything is there in the manual.

Service costs of various members have ranged from 3.5 to 11k!

Before going, read through this thread again so you know what to expect. Here is the summed up information on this thread so far:

1. Median service cost@MASS at 20K: Between Rs. 5k-6k

2. Unnecessary services that were offered by MASS to some members at 20K include (but not limited to): Fuel injector cleaning, engine decarbing, engine flushing, engine oil additives, coolant flush, a/c checkup, upholstery cleaning at exorbitant service cost, etc.

3. Popular customizations: Members taking their own engine oil, gear oil, spark plugs, etc.

4. Confusing decision points (no clear answer): Do I flush my engine before upgrading/downgrading to different oil (even at as low a mileage as 20k)? Do I get wheel alignment at MASS (Rs. 350-400) vs. do I get allignment done from outside (Rs. 150-200) vs. do I even need it at all?
Old 24th November 2010, 12:58   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
4. Confusing decision points (no clear answer): Do I flush my engine before upgrading/downgrading to different oil (even at as low a mileage as 20k)? Do I get wheel alignment at MASS (Rs. 350-400) vs. do I get allignment done from outside (Rs. 150-200) vs. do I even need it at all?
Don't forget wheel balancing - again no clear answer.

Based on the cartalk links I posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1918703-post45.html I think that regular balancing is not required, though a lot of people in forum disagreed with me.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't agree with the first part of your statement; as low mileage cars could be equal to regular mileage but not more frequently.
On your second point.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:21   #105
Senior - BHPian

Gave my car for the first paid service (20,000 km). Got it back yesterday. The total charge was 2638 :-). The vehicle looks in good shape too. Happy because the bill amount is lesser than what was quoted on the forum.

Hope everything which was required was done though :-)
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks