Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 19:33   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Dont see a point in gifting for a car sale. I think it sets a bad precedent and expectations are set that at the end of a car sale there might be something waiting for him. I would rather put in a good word and maybe an email thanking for the good job done and send this across to the dealer and the manufacturer.
Selling a car is the job and if it well-done then its the company who hired him which needs to show the appreciation.
Well its just a token of your appreciation if you are pleased with the services offered. Very similar to the tip you sometimes give to the waiter at the restaurant. And there is no cash transaction. That is a strict no no. Its only some small gift like chocolates or sweets or something of that sort perhaps. I feel such gestures leave a happy memory both for the customer and the sales rep. At the end of the day even they have a very tough job dealing with demanding customers day in and day out and meeting targets etc.
Ofcourse this can vary with every individual and there is absolutely no compulsion.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:37   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I feel that it is unethical for sales people to accept gifts from customers and the company should strictly instruct them not to accept any gifts from customers. This is a form of bribery and should not be encouraged.

We make a hue and cry against government clerks and babus who collect bribes for providing a better service to us. But we have no problem in tipping or gifting the sales executive in return for better service. Double standards, I say.

Rohan
  • A tip is gratuity that is offered when not expected after a service has been rendered to the satisfaction of the customer.
  • A bribe is a payment that is given when demanded before a service can be/has been rendered to the satisfaction of the customer.

A thin line

Quite a number of sale persons however render service with a hope of getting a good tip and get disappointed when they don't or the tip is below their expectation. And among those, some become discouraged and lose their productivity with respect to the customer in question.

This does not happen with well trained reps who would have been taught the ethics of their profession. In a private organization, it usually doesn't get worse than this. In a public organization, this is the first sign of the sale rep's transformation into eventually taking bribes.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 27th October 2011 at 19:41.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

I didn't offer the sales executive any gifts or a tip when I took delivery of my car. But I got a pack of sweets for him which I handed over at the time of delivery. Hopefully, he shared the sweets with the others in the showroom.
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:44   #94
BHPian

When I took delivery of my Alto K10 last month from Khivraj Motors (Mount Road), I gave the sales executive a box of sweets. He had been genuinely courteous and helpful throughout the purchase experience (and even after!).
Old 8th November 2011, 13:04   #95
BHPian

I have never tipped or gifted a Sales Executive while taking delivery of any of my vehicles. Somehow I feel that that is what their Sales Incentive is for. I tend to tip the workers who clean the car, arrange for the pooja et. al.
Funnily 3 of my used cars I have sold, the people who bought my cars have got me a box of sweets or choclates at the time of taking delivery. Found it awkward the 1st time, but then just opened it and shared it with them.
Old 8th November 2011, 13:12   #96
Team-BHP Support

I had never heard of this concept of gifting the sale executive during car purchase. Never done it in my 11 car puchases.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:37   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
every other person was expecting something from us for example - the guy who took the photo at the showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you are really thrilled, offer a box of sweets in accordance with Indian culture.
+1 to what Mpower has to say.

A big box of sweets/ chocolates will be the best gift in the Indian context. What better than sweets to share the joy, and yet - not turn people greedy/ make them disappointed.

Can be distributed in the showroom as well if they so wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
As soon as i have a minute with him, I would tell him that I have a gift for him and would like to know when he could collect it. I would tell him, If he does not want the gift in front of people, He could collect the same outside the showroom or he could collect it when he demos the car or at the best, come to my house to collect the same.
This builds up expectation. Suppose he comes all the way to the house, inturn to be gifted a pen - he would be really disappointed.
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:07   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This builds up expectation. Suppose he comes all the way to the house, inturn to be gifted a pen - he would be really disappointed.
Well, I assume that the pen would be a Parker (100/-) at the very least.

The average Joe does not gift the sales agent, so compared to them I appear to be more courteous by offering the gift.

If the sales-person is more concerned about the value of the gift than the gesture of recognizing his efforts through a gift, he has serious attitude problems. Even if you gift him a Merc he cannot be satisfied.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:31   #99
BHPian

We got our SE a Titan watch, and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates for the whole team at EVM Volkswagen Trivandrum.

They later called us up to thank us and tell us no one had ever done this for them before. How sad, for such a wonderful set of people. Our SE, Harikrishnan, in particular is a gem, and I will recommend him to anyone anytime.

I had my EOS 60D with me, so he got one of the other members of EVM TVM (whose name, sadly, I am not sure of - Praveen?) to help, and we got some excellent pics of the delivery process, thanks to Hari's colleague's sincere efforts.

Last edited by pillainp : 9th March 2012 at 01:35.
Old 9th March 2012, 02:12   #100
BHPian

I have not followed all the post here so pardon me if i am repeating this - in my experience, the best gift you could ever give them is a solid reference. Nothing would come anywhere close to it. You might not have a reference right away, but you can promise it and then actually do it.

I don't think there should really be any other gifts per se.
Old 9th March 2012, 05:08   #101
BANNED

I think it should be the other way around. I am spending money and giving the guy a sale. He should be giving me a gift or something.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:01   #102
Senior - BHPian

During the recent delivery of our Wagon R, gifted our Sales Representative a good Parker Pen and a box of sweets for the staff.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:00   #103
BHPian

Frankly, I never felt the need to gift a Sales attendant. I've had some friends work at car dealerships, and the amount they get for every sale is pretty good.

As a good gesture, some sweets should do. That apart, it's best to keep it strictly business.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 14:37   #104
F50
Senior - BHPian

Didn't knew about gifting trend. All our cars never had a SP involved. But we always carried box of sweets to be distributed among all.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:37   #105
Senior - BHPian

Decent thing to do I think. I usually give the chaps who deal with me something nice too.
The last 3-4 cars I ve bought it has been the Showroom Manager or Regional Manager or GM who I ve been dealing with so a gift suitable to his status has usually been given - like a Shirt or a Gift Voucher or Gift Card or something of the kind.
Regardless of what anyone may say in this regard, it helps to keep people happy and to build relationships in a small way by demonstrating one's thanks rather than merely saying thanks and driving off! Consider that one is buying a reasonably expensive car, so why skimp on a few bucks for a gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
We got our SE a Titan watch, and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates for the whole team at EVM Volkswagen Trivandrum.

They later called us up to thank us and tell us no one had ever done this for them before. How sad, for such a wonderful set of people. Our SE, Harikrishnan, in particular is a gem, and I will recommend him to anyone anytime.

I had my EOS 60D with me, so he got one of the other members of EVM TVM (whose name, sadly, I am not sure of - Praveen?) to help, and we got some excellent pics of the delivery process, thanks to Hari's colleague's sincere efforts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks