Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 14:56   #706
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Taxation & Accounting Senior Staff movement doesn't signal good vibes to the former CFO in me.

Apparently something is not good at Honda India financially. I hope it doesn't goes Ford way, even though it's bread butter City & Amaze are holding out good. They need good products that can bring in the dough, & these two won't suffice IMO.
They have 2 plants and with only 2 models that too doing very little numbers, they will not be able to sustain the second plant. I see Honda will shrink their portfolio slowly and be a 3-4 model company like Toyota. Apart from C2 segment Honda does not have any USP in any segment.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 07:36   #707
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Honda Civic & CR-V Diesel Discontinued (Might relaunch after BS6 Update)
For all those claiming good riddance to the diesel versions of the Civic & CRV, they’re still available to buy. See below -
Attached Thumbnails
Honda India : The Way Forward-882b5ff59fe5460fbd93be7c2f25cd8c.png  

Honda India : The Way Forward-e757e1204b6b445da1a941fcb00de5a2.png  

Old 17th April 2021, 22:05   #708
BHPian

Is Honda slowly exiting the Indian car market?

Hello, recently I heard from a close friend of mine in Maharashtra regarding bad experiences he had servicing his Honda City. I heard from a few people in past few months about same service experience. Discontinuing majority of products from their portfolio like Brio, CRV, Accord, Civic etc and seeing shutdown of few sales outlets I think brand is facing tough time keeping up in Indian market. Being a Honda fan and used Honda cars for 15 years(trouble free) it is very sad to see Honda's such state. I hope brand doesn't discontinues its operations in India. What is your opinion on the same?
parekhakshar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 23:08   #709
BHPian

re: Is Honda slowly exiting the Indian car market?

Looks like they might exit the market. One of their existing manufacturing units is shut.

It is difficult to predict if there is a supply chain problem or if they will really leave.

We can't forget that the 2-wheeler segment in India is almost ruled by Honda. It has been a sad story for their 4-wheeler division. Many good products ruined by a lack of market insight.

I did drive the WRV BS4 diesel for nearly 1000kms and came away impressed with the cushy ride and the highway capability of the engine and the superb fuel efficiency. The space on offer is also better than most.

Am very tempted to buy the WRV though it looks wierd and the tall gearing means 3rd is the most you can reach in the city.

But, if Honda is scaling the ops down, can't risk buying a Honda.
Mafia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 23:32   #710
BHPian

We can understand that accord cannot beat superb but Brio was very successful car back then but no major updates, no proper compact suv, civic also discontinued. Being a very reliable brand they're killing their own brand value by not being aggressive in Indian market. I think they should learn from Mercedes-Benz, a brand's product portfolio must be large in order to be successful.
parekhakshar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 23:57   #711
BHPian

They still have a competitive product in the WR-V which is dying a slow death due to Honda apathy. Bring in the 1.5 CVT from the City and 1.5 D CVT from the Amaze , price both competitively and watch the resurrection.

Magnite has proved to the market that a competitively priced product in the CSUV segment can turnaround fortunes - what's stopping Honda ?

Not to forget - they still have the 1.0 turbo ace up their sleeves. I , for one , would infinitely prefer the WR-V to a Sonet or Venue purely because of the segment busting interior space, as long as the performance is comparable.
JishD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 00:27   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

For the CSUV segment Honda just needs to add the automatic gearbox for the WR-V and the 1.5L i-VTEC, but it looks like they are not interested at all when all competitors offer bigger 1.5L NA units or 1.0-1.2L turbo petrols.

If the Amaze/Jazz can get an automatic then why not the WR-V. It is one of the most spacious CSUV in the segment let down by a poor choice of engines-gearbox options.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 08:42   #713
BHPian

Re: Is Honda slowly exiting the Indian car market?

Not sure if Honda intends to exit the Indian market but one thing is certain, If Honda continues to disregard the market demand then the Indian market will exit their intent in Honda.
Honda has plenty of relevant products but they don't seem to be bothered to introduce them in India. The CRV for instance just needed to be better managed. There was a market for it.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 14:04   #714
Senior - BHPian

Despite the spokesperson rubbishing rumours with "only old plant machineries being moved to Indonesia", I still believe HCIL is going to bow out within this decade. Their lack of will to build sub 4m compact suv or their desire to bring out a Creta rival tells you they've given up.

The HRV in all likelihood will be priced near the Jeep Compass level so I don't see it coming in. It makes sense why Honda and Toyota don't want to spend money on India centric model when the RoI is shaky at best. Ford will also join Honda in exile from the looks of things.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:12   #715
BHPian

I do not think there is reason immediately to abandon Honda cars, this seems to be a more operational efficiency driven decision where they are utilizing their other factory to its fullest potential than doing a split operation.

Honda anyway has plans to introduce the Honda City Hybrid sometime in 2021 and there are already lot of speculations for the affordable Honda-E to arrive at the Indian market within a few years. The 2022 Honda Civic is also on the cards. The current City and Amaze are wonderful cars in their segment and we should keep considering them seriously,

Last edited by haisaikat : 18th April 2021 at 18:13.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:21   #716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
speculations for the affordable Honda-E to arrive at the Indian market within a few years.
Honda E isn't an affordable car by any stretch if imagination. Prices in the UK start at £28,215, whereas the feature loaded model costs £30,715 - which makes it more expensive than the CR-V hybrid there.

Even if we get it in the Indian market as a CKD - prepare for a 30L sticker price.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2021 at 18:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:48   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Honda E isn't an affordable car by any stretch if imagination. Prices in the UK start at £28,215, whereas the feature loaded model costs £30,715 - which makes it more expensive than the CR-V hybrid there.

Even if we get it in the Indian market as a CKD - prepare for a 30L sticker price.
Are we not going to apply the similar analogy as another CKD example Hyundai Kona which sells for much higher price in the EU but for India they downsized the battery and powertrain to come up with a lower priced version.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:52   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Are we not going to apply the similar analogy as another CKD example Hyundai Kona which sells for much higher price in the EU but for India they downsized the battery and powertrain to come up with a lower priced version.
AFAIK the Honda e has a very low range of around 130 miles. Further downsizing is not going to help them here where as the competition is moving up on that front. Even if Honda India decides to get it here it is going to be a niche product and i dont think it will get the volumes Honda India really need. A few more lakhs and people will happily pick the MINI over this.
SAK-XXVII is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:49   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are we not going to apply the similar analogy as another CKD example Hyundai
I personally wouldn't. After all, there is a difference in commitment level which has left Hyundai with 16.4% market share, and Honda 2.2%. I mean, we are talking about a company -

1. That discontinued the Civic due to poor sales just a year after it's launch, despite being the segment leader.
2. That still thinks the latest technology it has to offer to the Indian market is iVTec, and rations that (1.5) too!
3. Is the only company left in the market to respond to the SUV craze, and instead is still selling two old generation cars discontinued in some other markets.

Offering a customized, cutting edge, Honda E to sell a dozen units per month is the polar opposite of what I expect the current Honda management to do!

That too - when the Honda E itself is a big flop in it's main target market (Europe, mainly thanks to the small range and large pricetag) forcing Honda to buy green credits from Tesla!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 23:26   #720
BHPian

I remember that once Honda City used to be a force that would drive their sales and given that, other cars from the moniker were also making some good numbers. But Hyundai and Maruti were quick at the competition and changed their game plus introduced various models. Then KIA came in and somehow I believe that with the notion of Compact SUV, buyers are also looking at that option.

Because this thought will always cross one's mind with a Budget of 8 Lakhs to 12 Lakhs that he or she can always by a Compact SUV like Seltos/Nexon/Brezza etc. Then it is also the attitude of Honda for not introducing a WOW Factor Car or SUV or Hatchback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks