Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 12:20   #481
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Nope. We are getting the same engine.

What do you mean by the old DDiS numbers? Those are merely tweaks that are done via the ECU.
Same engine for sure but with a different tuneup if numerous reports are be believed. Torque peaking at 1750 rpm is one of them. Some reports claim a 80 BHP output but that maybe too optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
And here I was expecting the 90 Bhp Swift D, Which was ready to take on the i20 and likes.
What will happen to the SX4 diesel then? Surely, Maruti would not want both SX4 and Swift with the same engine setup.

A 90BHP Swift D would be cost prohibitive too. I would imagine somewhere in the 8.5+ range. A Pete's tuning box would be a much cheaper alternative, don't you think?

The i20 CRDi and 90HP Punto are selling in such small numbers that Maruti would not really look at them as competition.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:49   #482
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

For all the pete's box talks. I beleive race chip would be better as it would deliver power only when it is necessary i.e. only during hard throttle.

anyway. i like the comment about swift feeling more planted. Would have to wait and watch if it is punto like handling or not.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:00   #483
BHPian

A bit of off-topic.

Since every one is talking about tuning boxes for Old Swift i attach the test reports of various tuning boxes conducted by Autocar.

swift_autocar.pdf

I prefer the new Swift to have more linear power delivery. Any information about the NHV levels of new Swift.?
Old 5th August 2011, 14:14   #484
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd and Sirish have started tweeting about the new Swift, they have obviously received it for testing! That should mean that we can expect the TBHP official review soon!
Old 5th August 2011, 14:27   #485
Senior - BHPian

From Overdrive:

* At the new Swift pre-launch test drives in Udaipur. It's all-new but to most will be just a facelift.
* 1.2 k-series engine gets variable valve timing. Power up to 87ps. Claimed efficiency up by 4% to 18.6kmpl. 0-100kmph in 12.6sec
* Same 75ps 1.3 diesel but eff up by 6% to 22.9kmpl. 0-100kmph in a claimed 14.8sec.
* Big news is all-new interiors that are a significant step up. Wheelbase increased by 40mm & interior room corr goes up
* Happy to report new Swift retains verve & zest of old car - still great fun to drive, grips much better and very involving
* Ride quality has improved & there's 20mm more cabin room so rear seat pax aren't cramped
* Big change are interiors that are a huge step up from old car. Everything is new incl stereo, climate control, steering wheel etc
* 1.2 engine wee bit more powerful, refinement has improved, gearbox v slick. Diesel is of course the pick of it's class.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 16:32   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Siddharth says below.
Quote:
  • VXi/VDi get electric adjust mirrors, front & rear pwr windows(not in LXi), tachometre, but no defoggr or rear wipe-wash. SVP
  • Claimed ARAI mileage: 18.6 kmpl(petrol), 22.9 kmpl(diesel). SVP
  • overall legroom increased by 20mm. Maruti says 'footspace' upped by 28mm. New stereo, climate control too. SVP
  • New steering & steering mounted controls look sharp, upmarket. Plastics appear more refined. Cool new multi-info display. SVP
So the VXi / VDi gets some additional equipment; at the cost of optional ABS?

The TDs started yesterday and is continuing today as well. Looks like all the major mags / review teams completed it yesterday itself.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th August 2011 at 16:37.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:35   #487
BHPian

Some Facts:
• Overall legroom increased by 20mm. Maruti says 'footspace' upped by 28mm. New stereo, climate control too.
• New steering & steering mounted controls look sharp, upmarket. Plastics appear more refined. Cool new multi-info display.
• K series petrol 1.2's been updated. Can't wait to drive it(in abt an hour). Keen to try new rally based suspension.
• 3 new colours. Torque blue, Blazing red, Glistening grey. All nice and European!! Other colours: White, silver & Black.
• wheelbase is now 2430mm. Ground clearance is 170mm. ZXi joined by a ZDi finally. They get 15" alloys!
• VXi/VDi get electric adjust mirrors, front & rear pwr windows(not in LXi), tachometre, but no defoggr or rear wipe-wash.
• DDiS: 1248cc. 73.5bhp, 190Nm. K series VVT: 1197cc. 85bhp, 114Nm. Maruti claims friction reduction on updated petrol.
• Claimed ARAI mileage: 18.6 kmpl(petrol), 22.9 kmpl(diesel).
Old 5th August 2011, 17:01   #488
BHPian

#Swift facts: wheelbase is now 2430mm. Ground clearance is 170mm. ZXi joined by a ZDi finally. They get 15" alloys! SVP.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 5th August 2011 at 17:06.
Old 5th August 2011, 18:14   #489
BHPian

CNB just tweeted

"#Swift (p) drive:Top speed maxes off at about 130 kmpl. slightly laboured to get there but very smooth.SVP"

I am guessing it would be 130 kmph. But doesnt it seem a bit on the lower side??
And slightly laboured to get even to 130!??
Old 5th August 2011, 18:21   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
CNB just tweeted

"#Swift (p) drive:Top speed maxes off at about 130 kmpl. slightly laboured to get there but very smooth.SVP"

I am guessing it would be 130 kmph. But doesnt it seem a bit on the lower side??
130km top speed for a 1.2 ltr engine really seems to be on a lower side considering the fact that 1ltr engine on my Spark with 4 persons did it with some labor. There are Videos of Sparkys in youtube with 160kmph on dial!!!!!

Last edited by shineshine : 5th August 2011 at 18:23.
Old 5th August 2011, 21:23   #491
BHPian

Quote:
CNB just tweeted

That is ridiculous. Looks like a typo. One would expect the VVT powered petrol car to easily achieve 130 kph with the reduced weight. Even the G/K series petrol Swifts do not feel laboured reaching 130 kph.
Old 5th August 2011, 21:51   #492
BHPian

SVP is so much into testing foreign cars in Europe tht he wrote the speed in
mph probably
Quote:
CNB just tweeted

Old 5th August 2011, 22:11   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
130km top speed for a 1.2 ltr engine really seems to be on a lower side considering the fact that 1ltr engine on my Spark with 4 persons did it with some labor. There are Videos of Sparkys in Youtube with 160kmph on dial!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
That is ridiculous. Looks like a typo. One would expect the VVT powered petrol car to easily achieve 130 kph with the reduced weight. Even the G/K series petrol Swifts do not feel laboured reaching 130 kph.
Below is the updated tweet from Siddharth.
Quote:
  • Swift(p) drive: I stand corrected on top speed. It's more like a healthy 140. I've got better empty stretches of highway now.
  • Swift(p) drive: Suspension way better. Significant improvement in ride quality. Sporty dynamic to ride.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:50   #494
Senior - BHPian

Maybe he is pushing the car from 60-140kmph in 5th gear and feeling stressed...
Old 6th August 2011, 00:13   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Some reports claim a 80 BHP output but that maybe too optimistic.
Out put remains same with Marginal increase more like 2-3bhp MAX. This has been confirmed.

Quote:
What will happen to the SX4 diesel then? Surely, Maruti would not want both SX4 and Swift with the same engine setup.
Maruti needs to STOP playing it safe or it will in future lose the market to better equipped rivals.

Quote:
A 90BHP Swift D would be cost prohibitive too. I would imagine somewhere in the 8.5+ range.
Include more features and safety. You will be surprised to see the number of takers.

Quote:
A Pete's tuning box would be a much cheaper alternative, don't you think?
True. But isn't a factory-setup better? The Pete's box has its share of negatives.

Quote:
The i20 CRDi and 90HP Punto are selling in such small numbers that Maruti would not really look at them as competition.
Ahh...I was waiting for this to pop up. There is a very big and healthy market for such hatches. The punto suffers because it is a fiat and the i20 sadly has the worst handling in this segment. Add to that the scary reports on unsolved steering rattles.

Suzuki can do so much more with the Swift! I hope they WAKE UP before it is too late. The market offers much better equipped competition. The market is growing and stripping down is only fine if they have a PROPERLY EQUIPPED top variant.

I have started thinking on the lines of a ZDI (O) variant with the start stop button, Bluetooth, 90bhp engine, 6 airbags and price it around the top end i20. What say?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks