Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 03:43   #376
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Interesting Video (Link Below).

Although seems not all features shown in the new variant are coming to India, as is evident from the thread so far.
Old 28th July 2011, 07:57   #377
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
As far as the news I read today, this is right. The CS is supposed to come only by Jan 2012 and will be based on new Swift's look. The current Dzire will retain current looks even after Dzire CS launch. Apparently this news in a Malayalam daily was based on some interview with some top official [MD I guess] in Maruti.

Another Duckling in the making and we are just too happy to welcome it. Come on people as much as you like practical and easy to maintain cars, dont encourage manufacturers to get away with such ugly looking cars like these (Though not released,Am pretty sure of its looks). It reflects very bad on our tastes. The manufacturers are just busy milking you bone dry. Whoever thinks Dzire, Indigo etc are good looking cars havent seen cars for sure. At less than 4M, I wonder what new dimension of beauty it is going to add to the Indian Roads.

How difficult is to to concieve a proper Sedan/ hatchback from day 1 itself and ensure that many parts are common to reduce costs. Its not like they are not going to make money and not recover the costs. The Polo-Vento, Punto-Linea are decent looking siblings.

what if Punto were to be a Maruti product? It would have set some serious sales number benchmarks.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:13   #378
BHPian

hi all it is great news that the new swift is goin to be launched but before launching the new swift maruti should ensure that the new swift should have better build quality and that it should not rattle lik a tin box on wheeels ,i say this as a owner of two swifts i sold off one it had just done 22000 kms but that thing rattled like as if there was no end ,out of sheer frustation it was sold .maruti please ensure top notch build quality and then launch a product
Old 28th July 2011, 08:48   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Another Duckling in the making and we are just too happy to welcome it. Come on people as much as you like practical and easy to maintain cars, dont encourage manufacturers to get away with such ugly looking cars like these (Though not released,Am pretty sure of its looks). It reflects very bad on our tastes. The manufacturers are just busy milking you bone dry. Whoever thinks Dzire, Indigo etc are good looking cars havent seen cars for sure. At less than 4M, I wonder what new dimension of beauty it is going to add to the Indian Roads.

How difficult is to to concieve a proper Sedan/ hatchback from day 1 itself and ensure that many parts are common to reduce costs. Its not like they are not going to make money and not recover the costs. The Polo-Vento, Punto-Linea are decent looking siblings.

what if Punto were to be a Maruti product? It would have set some serious sales number benchmarks.
This is a very narrow minded post to say the least! I do not feel Dzire is ugly (dont own it). I looks quite good if u ask me. And the market also supports me as almost 10k people buy it every month. It doesnt matter then, what few auto enthusiasts think here. What is beautiful to you might not be to me and vice versa. Why then, bring subjectivity here.

On the other hand, logically thinking Dzire makes hell lot of sense. Good family car, spacious yet compact, proven history and nice engines and most of all, a very affordable price! What more is needed?

If Maruti had done all the RnD to design,develop and launch a completely new car, they 'd have to invest millions to do so! I read somewhere (maybe Iacocoa) that a company typically has to invest like $300-400m for a new platform. They would have to make up that money from customers only which means the same car for higher price! Whats the point for that?
Old 28th July 2011, 09:34   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is a very narrow minded post to say the least! I do not feel Dzire is ugly (dont own it). I looks quite good if u ask me. And the market also supports me as almost 10k people buy it every month. It doesnt matter then, what few auto enthusiasts think here. What is beautiful to you might not be to me and vice versa. Why then, bring subjectivity here.

On the other hand, logically thinking Dzire makes hell lot of sense. Good family car, spacious yet compact, proven history and nice engines and most of all, a very affordable price! What more is needed?

If Maruti had done all the RnD to design,develop and launch a completely new car, they 'd have to invest millions to do so! I read somewhere (maybe Iacocoa) that a company typically has to invest like $300-400m for a new platform. They would have to make up that money from customers only which means the same car for higher price! Whats the point for that?
Narrow minded Eh! Alright. I will take it as your opinion and ignore it. I have seen enough variety of cars in different countries ( stayed there) to form an opinion without much bias.

Please do not back your opinion on its good looks based on the sales numbers. It's just the Maruti name , decent service and excellent spare parts availability coupled with some hyped up aura of a maruti product that has drawn the herd. We have a Swift and though it hasnt been much of a problem to maintain except for some cheap door handles and some power windows problems ( Got the first batch of Swift in 2005 ).

Inspite of this, I have to say that the build quality of most of maruti products feels cheap. Lot of manufacturers are matching maruti costwise and also giving better built products although without much success as Maruti.

You have to go through my post again. I clearly mentioned that at the initial stage itself if you plan it well you can get a decent sedan and hatch from the same platform without going overboard on costs. Maruti Suzuki is a company which enjoys a very good image in the sub 8 Lakh range and whatever costs that is incurred can easily be recovered. Other manufacturers cannot dare to do a Dzire and get away.

If I were to see India as a maturing Automobile market, I would not like to see these cars as big success stories however practical / cost effective these cars are.

Coming back to the topic I have a strong feeling that the interior plastic feel of the New swift will be hard the usual way.

Last edited by muni : 28th July 2011 at 09:38.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:49   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, as much liberal as I want to be, I can't agree that DZire is not an ugly car. And I also think 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder' is often overused to make excuses for things that are ugly (I am not saying that you are making excuses; just a general statement)

Almost everybody will agree that Civic is a good looking car. So is Swift. So is Linea. Right? Do you agree that Katrina Kaif is good looking? So is Aishwarya Rai. Right? There are quite a few things which are universally attractive, for some of the other ones, one has to argue.

You may like the car for 100 things: Like practicality, cheap to run and maintain, Maruti A.S.S etc and what not. However, saying the car is decent looking is taking it too far. Maybe you value logic/practicality more than what your heart says. And thus you may like DZire. That's fine. But that doesn't make the car decent looking.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 12:51   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Refreshed Swift 1.5 launched in Malaysia.

Changes to exteriors only - deeper front bumper, new lower grille, sporty side skirts, silver-colored fog lamp holders, engine cover and a new spoiler.

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330463_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330477_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330525_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330469_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330438_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330464_770.jpg

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-p1330529_770.jpg

Name:  p1330540_770.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  58.5 KB

Complete gallery - Suzuki Malaysia refreshens Swift – 1.5 GLX introduced

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th July 2011 at 12:54.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:05   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Spacious am I missing something? Did you forget the lack of legroom at the rear and claustrophobia? Now look at the competition? Manza does more of everything that Dzire does minus rattles.
If beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, the Dzire would still be ugly. Only a mother could love it but I am not sure if even that would be the case with Dzire.

Suzuki's biggest market and we get treated like this. I wish the pricing with the Jazz stays as it is. Someone needs to teach Suzuki a lesson in India until we start knowing our cars.

Last edited by akhilesh : 28th July 2011 at 13:07.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:11   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Refreshed Swift 1.5 launched in Malaysia.

Changes to exteriors only - deeper front bumper, new lower grille, sporty side skirts, silver-colored fog lamp holders, engine cover and a new spoiler.
This still is the old Swift, but with minor modifications. Happy, we will get the new one soon, but wondering what the Malaysians will be saying about Suzuki - not giving new models, only minor changes etc etc... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Someone needs to teach Suzuki a lesson in India until we start knowing our cars.
If you don't like DZire, don't buy - that's it. But many people (actually, 10,000 monthly sales says it all) like it for its value proposition and even looks. Why should you be so arrogant towards one manufacturer? What about the beauty of Santro, Accent, Figo, Indica, Manza etc?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th July 2011 at 13:17.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:33   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Well, as much liberal as I want to be, I can't agree that DZire is not an ugly car. And I also think 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder' is often overused to make excuses for things that are ugly (I am not saying that you are making excuses; just a general statement)

Almost everybody will agree that Civic is a good looking car. So is Swift. So is Linea. Right? Do you agree that Katrina Kaif is good looking? So is Aishwarya Rai. Right? There are quite a few things which are universally attractive, for some of the other ones, one has to argue.

Dont think it is overused or abused! Beauty indeed lies in eye of beholder. And beauty is not just skin deep. There are other traits. Otherwise it would be like saying only those fair-skinned are beautiful and others ugly. Thats a really sad mentality. Then more than half of us indians wont be beautiful at all!!!

Coming back to cars, Civic/Linea might be beautiful but their price isint (At least for a 6-7 lakh budget buyer). What beautiful sedan you can suggest to somebody in that price range?
Old 28th July 2011, 14:45   #386
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Me and revved_up caught the new swift being road tested by some media guys in Delhi on our way from work the other day. Looks a stunner with increased road presence and apparent superior build. Clicked it on my phone camera. Here they go..
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0174.jpg
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0175.jpg

Excuse the bad lighting as it was late evening.

Here is a small video we shot...

Cheers!
Vinay

Last edited by vinayrathore : 28th July 2011 at 14:46.
vinayrathore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 14:48   #387
BHPian

Just to add on, this was more than 2 weeks ago. This was a ZXi version and these people(journalists?) were doing some video review of sorts.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:52   #388
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@vinayrathore:

Good catch. In the video (timing @ 24 - 27 seconds), i could see a tall guy sitting rather uncomfortably on the rear seat. His head seems to be hitting the roof. Does this mean that the Swift has taller seats?
Old 28th July 2011, 14:56   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@vinayrathore:

Good catch. In the video (timing @ 24 - 27 seconds), i could see a tall guy sitting rather uncomfortably on the rear seat. His head seems to be hitting the roof. Does this mean that the Swift has taller seats?
No, he is trying to shoot the lower part of the dash. This is probably making him sit or rather stand on his knees on the rear seat to point the camera in the right direction.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:06   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Spacious am I missing something? Did you forget the lack of legroom at the rear and claustrophobia? Now look at the competition? Manza does more of everything that Dzire does minus rattles.
If beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, the Dzire would still be ugly. Only a mother could love it but I am not sure if even that would be the case with Dzire.

Suzuki's biggest market and we get treated like this. I wish the pricing with the Jazz stays as it is. Someone needs to teach Suzuki a lesson in India until we start knowing our cars.
MAnza does more of everything, agreed, including the famous Tata niggles!!!!. Everything said, Dzire is one hell of a reliable machine.Buddy, just check with the ownership threads of Dzire & Manza,you'll see what I mean. I'm sorry for going OT. Spacious interiors is not everything.

Last edited by powertrain : 28th July 2011 at 15:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed