Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 18:18   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Initial impressions
+ ves
Front - well planted look
Improved interior
Good dash board - Cruze inspired?

-ves
Rear look ugly
Ugly alloys

Eagerly waiting for TBHP review!
Old 8th August 2011, 18:45   #572
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

There is nobody or anything that can stop it from becoming the top shot in sales. Reason?

1. Cracker to look at.
2. Cracker set of engines. Powerful, yet fuel efficient.
3. Maruti. For lower end cars, people love Maruti.
4. Better than average interior quality and good design (looks that way).
5. Cheap to buy. Cheap to run.
6. Loads of fun. Handling top class. Ride reported to have been improved.
7. Swift Image. Swift is the only car in the Maruti stable that has 'good/uparket' image. From rich to middle class, nobody minds driving a Swift.

No real weaknesses at all then. I mean, rear seat not as roomy, small dikky,claustrophobic etc is stuff than most of us can easily live with.

Go Swifty go!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th August 2011 at 18:47.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:01   #573
Senior - BHPian

I agree to the comments from Abhi Automobile. The new swift seems to be one notch better in every aspect than the outgoing one except the boot space. Personally for me, its a disappointment since the polo/figo and i20 offer substantially more luggage space. But it should meet the requirements of the vast majority and I can safely bet my money on this car to be a super hit!

I wish maruti gives the 90 bhp diesel, even if as a limited edition variant. That will pretty much beat every other premium hatch out there into submission and will be an enthusiasts delight

P.S - Grey looks smashing, if im not mistaken is it the same shade of grey in ritz?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 19:26   #574
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait to TD the Swift! I'm getting that excited feeling before the launch; haven't had it in a while

I'm all set to book a ZDI/ZXI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
There is nobody or anything that can stop it from becoming the top shot in sales. Reason?

1. Cracker to look at.
2. Cracker set of engines. Powerful, yet fuel efficient.
3. Maruti. For lower end cars, people love Maruti.
4. Better than average interior quality and good design (looks that way).
5. Cheap to buy. Cheap to run.
6. Loads of fun. Handling top class. Ride reported to have been improved.
7. Swift Image. Swift is the only car in the Maruti stable that has 'good/uparket' image. From rich to middle class, nobody minds driving a Swift.

No real weaknesses at all then. I mean, rear seat not as roomy, small dikky,claustrophobic etc is stuff than most of us can easily live with.

Go Swifty go!
8. Strong resale value!
Old 8th August 2011, 20:14   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
P.S - Grey looks smashing, if im not mistaken is it the same shade of grey in ritz?
The grey on the WagonR and the Ritz is also called Glistening Grey. So should be the same colour. The old Swift' grey was Azure Grey.

More pictures of the Grey Swift in this very brief Top Gear Magazine review BBC TopGear Magazine India Official Website

I am eagerly waiting for the Mods to close this thread.

Last edited by deetjohn : 8th August 2011 at 20:15. Reason: Rewording
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 20:33   #576
BHPian

Does the new Swift have 14" or 15" tyre profile in LXi/LDi or Vxi/VDi it is still not clear Any guess????
Old 8th August 2011, 20:38   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
Does the new Swift have 14" or 15" tyre profile in LXi/LDi or Vxi/VDi it is still not clear Any guess????
Going by the spec sheet on gaadi.com (link) L/V will have 14" wheels while Z gets the 15" ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The grey on the WagonR and the Ritz is also called Glistening Grey. So should be the same colour. The old Swift' grey was Azure Grey.

More pictures of the Grey Swift in this very brief Top Gear Magazine review BBC TopGear Magazine India Official Website

Thanks for the link!

That grey looks awesome on the Swift! As it stands now, I like black/white/grey/silver on the swift! Too confused about which one too pick :P

Last edited by anekho : 8th August 2011 at 20:46.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 20:45   #578
BHPian

This shows difference between teambhp review and other forum reviews . These is incomplete information . No proper details of things . There is a feel to teambhp review when a person reads it .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 21:09   #579
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
This shows difference between teambhp review and other forum reviews . These is incomplete information . No proper details of things . There is a feel to teambhp review when a person reads it .
IMO, the reviews those are already out, are from a short detailing my Maruti to a select set of media men. I think Team-BHP was out of that list. So, it may take more time for our favorite review to be out here!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th August 2011 at 21:18.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:51   #580
Senior - BHPian

Grey, grey, grey, it just looks fantastic. As it is every second car on the road is a white swift ( I myself owned one ) and if not for anything at least to differentiate the second generation from the earlier one.

I have noticed that Ritz has some very good shades, Viz a dark shade of green and blue. Swift is one car which looks good in any choice of colour, I wish maruti had provided those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho

That grey looks awesome on the Swift! As it stands now, I like black/white/grey/silver on the swift! Too confused about which one too pick
Old 9th August 2011, 00:26   #581
BHPian

So it looks like the official Team-BHP report has been postponed. Until then here are a few IMPORTANT quotes from ACI.

Quote:
The 1.3 diesel Multi-jet engine remains largely unchanged but the carmaker’s effort to make the cabin a quieter place is evident. The motor, which is still mated to a fixed geometry turbo and develops the same 74bhp, feels more refined than before. There is a bit of lag initially but once past that, it makes good progress. Surprisingly, the diesel has lost its strong mid-range and we found ourselves downshifting more often than we did before. Maruti informs us that the engines have been tuned more for efficiency, which has compromised their flexible nature to some extent but not so much that it would bother most Swift owners.
Quote:
Suzuki has also reworked the steering and the new Swift gets a new variable-gear ratio design and low-play joints. The steering now feels a lot more positive around the centre position and a quicker ratio allows for sharper directional changes. However, it still lacks consistency. It is quick enough but becomes very light and disconnected for a moment after turn-in before it weights up.
Not sure if all of this is good news, Less punchier engine and a bit vague steering feedback.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:54   #582
Team-BHP Support

BSMotoring is out with their first impressions as well- Few qoutes-
New Maruti Suzuki Swift Review

+
Quote:
  • The interiors are vastly better than the previous one across all aspects – quality of plastics, quality of the switchgear, overall layout and design.
  • The thuddy suspension of the old one is a memory, as this one takes on bad surfaces quite well. It is more comfortable but is it a benchmark? Not in ride comfort. When it comes to handling, the effervescence is untainted. It goes around corners beautifully while you are always in control.
  • here’s the verdict on the new Swift: it’s brilliant, quite a few glitches have been ironed out and it has that interior feel-good factor now. It remains the benchmark it always was, right down to the way it looks!
-
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the diesel motor. It still has the punch and the refinement, but there is a teeny bit of lag at the bottom-end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Not sure if all of this is good news, Less punchier engine and a bit vague steering feedback.
Thought you boycotted Swift long back itself! Anyways, its funny how these mags contradict each other. One says weak midrange, and the other says turbo lag. (Which swift diesel always had) I guess only team-bhp review can reveal the full story!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th August 2011 at 00:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 01:54   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thought you boycotted Swift long back itself!
I did, didn't I? That does not stop me from having an opinion of my own. I still stand-by what I said about Suzuki eliminating features.

Why bring it up again?

Quote:
Anyways, its funny how these mags contradict each other. One says weak midrange, and the other says turbo lag. (Which swift diesel always had) I guess only team-bhp review can reveal the full story!
Very true, But I'm afraid we might have to wait a wee bit longer for the official one. How can they differ so much? Anyways...

Cheers Mate!
Old 9th August 2011, 03:54   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Yes the rear seats seem to have a split (60 -40?- carried from the EU version,hope so!)
Cheers!
The picture you posted is Suzuki for EU and not the Maruti one for India, is LHD

Quote:
BSMotoring is out with their first impressions as well- Few qoutes-
Thought you boycotted Swift long back itself! Anyways, its funny how these mags contradict each other. One says weak midrange, and the other says turbo lag. (Which swift diesel always had)
I guess only team-bhp review can reveal the full story!
GTO are you listening. When is the launch.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th August 2011 at 03:55.
Old 9th August 2011, 08:55   #585
BHPian

The ZDi is looking to be a real good buy if I can get it on-road for 7lakhs or lesser.

Add a Pete's box and upgrade the tyres to 195/60 R15 and that would be one sweet ride!

I just hope the luggage space is not too compromised in the new Swift, especially as it doesn't look like the seats have a 60:40 split.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed