Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 23:12   #1396
BHPian

^^
Same here.
All I've seen of the new swift is the colour white.
Hearty Congrats buddy! :clap
Do share the pictures, and lots of them.

How do you find the brakes on your car? And the steering feedback?
Old 15th September 2011, 23:15   #1397
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs View Post
TAXI IMAGE??
Ever thought of Innova..??
It still commands a premium of more than 50k & waiting period of 7-8 months in north.
Just because TATA were bad in their earlier manifestations doesnot in any way mean that they shall continue same way ever after.
E.g. TATA Manza is being bought by well educated people in Chandigarh

I know what your trying to say, please do not get me wrong.

The fact remains..TATA made a mistake by using the name INDICA on the VISTA. Very widely discussed topic on the forum and in the real world.

innova and qualis share the same story to a certain extent. Not many bhpians buy the innova or qualis if you have noticed, instead many scorpios and safaris are brought.

INDIGO badge has not faced that much of a problem with the masess irrespective of being educated or uneducated buddy, INDIGO MANZA has been well received in the market, better response that INDICA VISTA for sure.

Sorry folks for going slighlty off topic on this thread.
Old 16th September 2011, 00:50   #1398
BHPian

Team the situation has worsened, Competitors already benefiting:

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd halted operations for the week after industrial strife spread at the country’s biggest car maker, putting the firm at risk of being unable to take advantage of the forthcoming festive season to try and perk up flagging sales and preventing frustrated buyers from switching to rivals.

In the latest blow, at least 350 contract workers, who load vehicles onto transporters that are then despatched to dealerships across the country, went on strike.

“We have our own issues—we don’t know if Maruti will address them or our contractor. We can’t trust either of them,” said Mahesh Kumar, who said he was the leader of the group protesting at the despatch gate. Kumar said no cars had been loaded on Thursday.
The agitation also turned violent with Maruti supervisors being attacked by some agitating workers. The company is struggling to manufacture cars due to labour unrest that began on 29 August at various plants in Gurgaon and Manesar in Haryana.

Meanwhile, Haryana labour minister Shiv Charan Lal Sharma was cited as saying by PTI that he would seek to broker peace between the management and workers that would see the strike ending on Friday.
The immediate beneficiary of the production disruption seems to be Honda Siel Cars India Ltd, which has seen demand for its premium hatchback Jazz soaring. Honda dealers say there’s now a four-month waiting period for the car that was relaunched with a price cut because the earlier version wasn’t selling too well.

“We are sold out for the next three months,” said a Honda spokesperson. “We have only been able to meet 55% of the demand that Jazz has generated. We cannot ramp up production as parts supply from Japan is still a concern. Things should improve from November onwards.”
The labour trouble will hamper Maruti’s sales, market share and margins, said Nikhil Deshpande, research analyst with a Mumbai-based brokerage firm.

“Things are getting bad to worse for the company,” he said. “I think these issues are beyond money and profits. It has become a long-term worry for the company. These issues will linger on and will take at least three-four years to heal.”

Maruti fell 0.94% to 1,083 on BSE on Thursday, even as the benchmark Sensex rose 1% to 16,876.54 points.

The company’s woes will allow rivals such as Hyundai Motor India Ltd, Honda, Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd and Volkswagen AG​ to boost sales as customers look for alternatives during the festive season, which traditionally sees a bump up in consumer spending. Auto makers hope this will reverse the decline in car sales, which fell 10.1% in August to 144,516 units, according to data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers.

“I think it is an excellent time for Hyundai to launch its (Eon) small car that will compete with Alto,” Deshpande said.
Maruti dealers have been forced to stop taking orders for the Swift, the new version of which was launched on 17 August, a day after the new Jazz was unveiled.

“We have stopped taking bookings for Swift,” said a Delhi-based Maruti dealer on condition of anonymity. “There is a waiting period of six-eight months for the Swift. This has forced customers to look for other options. A lot of them have gone to Honda.”

In the 13 days after its relaunch, Honda sold 600 Jazz cars against an average of 200 cars per month since February.

“If the product is not available in the market, people will look for other options,” said a senior Maruti official who didn’t want to be named. “With Suzuki Powertrain (India Ltd) going on strike, the waiting period for other models will also go up.”

Meanwhile, the petrol price hike on Thursday will increase the attractiveness of diesel cars. “And in these conditions, we can’t do anything,” said the official cited above.

That will help boost sales at Toyota and General Motors India Pvt. Ltd, which have recently launched diesel versions of their small cars. Diesel costs Rs.41.29 a litre in Delhi, compared with Rs.66.84 a litre for petrol after the latest increase.

Tellingly, out of over 100,000 bookings for the Swift, 80,000 were for the diesel version even before the latest increase. Hyundai, Volkswagen, Skoda India Pvt. Ltd, Fiat SpA and Tata Motors Ltd all have small cars that run on diesel. At least 56% of all compacts sold in August were diesel cars. The figure has steadily risen from 39% in July 2010 to 45% in January to 51% in June.

At least 70% of the cars sold in India are small cars.
Suzuki Powertrain employs more than 2,000 workers at its Manesar plant, where it manufactures diesel engines and transmissions for Maruti. The plant has an annual production capacity of 300,000 units.
The company said operations were being halted for the week as the supply chain had been disrupted. While 17 September (Saturday) is a designated holiday on account of Vishwakarma Puja, the company does not work on Sunday.

“Following the strike at its vendor, Suzuki Powertrain India, supply of certain critical components to Maruti Suzuki’s facilities has been disrupted,” the company said in a release on Thursday. “These components include diesel engines and transmissions for certain petrol engine models.”
A Maruti spokesperson denied that the contract workers who load vehicles were on strike and said despatches were taking place.

The workers, who are not affiliated to any of the unions, move cars from the assembly line to the parking lot and then on to 16-wheel trucks.
“We are called parkers inside the factory. We have been working with the company for the last five-six years and I get Rs.4,200 every month. Out of this, 30-35% gets deducted if I take even a single day off,” said a contract worker highlighting concerns similar to those expressed by workers protesting at other Suzuki plants. He didn’t want to be named.

The workers said at least 35,000 cars were standing in the parking area of the company’s facility in Manesar. Another company official, who also did not want to be named, said the lot can only hold 15,000 cars.
The company does not have a parking area at its Gurgaon plant, Maruti’s main facility. Cars made in Gurgaon are sent immediately to Manesar, 20km away for dispatch.

Agitating workers attacked a group of supervisors belonging to the Manesar plant, injuring 11, the company said. One worker was detained, it added.
The latest phase of the labour trouble began at Maruti’s Manesar factory in August after the company said it would only allow workers who had signed a so-called good conduct bond to work, citing indiscipline and sabotage by employees over the previous two months, following a strike in June.
The bond required the workers to declare that they would “not resort to go-slow, intermittent stoppage of work, stay-in-strike, work-to-rule, sabotage or otherwise indulge in any activity which would hamper the normal production in the factory”.

Source
Old 16th September 2011, 10:03   #1399
BHPian

Can anybody with new Swift (Diesel) confirm whats there FE like? Recently me and my friend took delivery of his Swift VDi. Right out of the showroom we had a long highway drive of 220 kms and the average FE at the end of journey was 14.3 (as per MID) My friend had a pitiful face. Instantaneous mileage was swinging in a broad range from as low as 5 to as high as 29. In fact we drove very sedate, never ever crossed 2400 RPM. I know there is no point in checking FE in such a low mileage car, but 14.3 felt really less on an 80% highway drive. A/C was used around 70% time. The lowest I've managed on my 2010 VDi was 15.6 that too in a 90% city drive scenario. Experts comments please.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:32   #1400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Can anybody with new Swift (Diesel) confirm whats there FE like? Recently me and my friend took delivery of his Swift VDi. Right out of the showroom we had a long highway drive of 220 kms and the average FE at the end of journey was 14.3 (as per MID) My friend had a pitiful face. Instantaneous mileage was swinging in a broad range from as low as 5 to as high as 29.
I did my first tankful to tankful test and it returned 17.3kmpl in City + highway conditions with AC. The MID is not 100% accurate. A tankful to tankful method is the right way to measure it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th September 2011 at 10:33.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 15:22   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Can anybody with new Swift (Diesel) confirm whats there FE like? My friend had a pitiful face. Instantaneous mileage was swinging in a broad range from as low as 5 to as high as 29. In fact we drove very sedate, never ever crossed 2400 RPM. I know there is no point in checking FE in such a low mileage car, but 14.3 felt really less on an 80% highway drive. A/C was used around 70% time. Experts comments please.
Hi
IMO please try with the a/c on a full drive on highway as the swift design is almost built for good aerodynamics and diesel mileage runs bit lower with the windows lowered(air resistance/drag becomes bit higher).

Secondly you can try this methosd which seemed logical some way to me
(1) tank up (beyond that air outlet level in the fuel tank)
(2) blank your trip meter to "0" (for assurance note your odometer reading)
(3) drive for 100 kms or 50 kms
(4) fill to the same level again
(5) the amount filled and the distance driven will give you a near better than approx mileage
(6) you can do the same manoeveure for city and mixed drive (city +highway) recommend to have A/c mode preferably.

Also would like to add that swift does optimal performance in 90-100 kmph or even at 110 kmph so ensure you maintain constant speed and avoid sudden brakes if possible.

Other gurus on the forum pl add. Confident that swift will give beyond 18 for sure and 80% confident will give beyond 24

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 15:34   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
The strike has been called off, so those of you who've booked a Swift have reason to cheer!
Strike at Suzuki subsidiary plant called off: Maruti Suzuki - CNBC-TV18 -
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 16:19   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to Vishnu cars chennai to TD the New Swift ZDI. The car is not registered yet for TD. So didnt get one. But car was there in flesh and i was able to look into it.

The front lamps looks a little bigger and nice. i was able to compare it with old swift which was standing beside.

The rear looks rather bulky. The place for numberplate is just below the hatch door which looks kind of awkward. IMHO i would prefer the neat rectangle housing for numberplate of the old swift. The Tail Lamp consolelooks good but when the hatch is open the plastic integrated on the door groove looks sore and cheap and bright red unlike the tail lamp.

The boot is awful. No place for even a small suitcase. what are these guys at MSIL thinking???

The interior is black and all black. Nice feel. The fabric for the seats are rich and plush and feels one segment above so are the plastics. Steering is good to hold but couldnt get any feedback as i couldnt drive the car.
The dash/plastics below the steering ( on the left where you keep your left leg when not using clutch )sort of hits your shin when you sit in the car at a comfortable seating position. so you have to literally move your seat back a couple of inches to feel comfortable ( i am not that tall and neither is my shin large).

When i move seat back to achieve that comfortable position i loose a bit on the front visibility. secondly the rear legroom gets cramped. the waterfall console is nice and the OEM audio is better and has a good bass

I kind of liked the cupholders near the a/c vents and height adjusters

The NVH is low on the cabin. I was just able to start the car and after the initial clatter there was no noise inside ( courtesy padding in the bonnet). though i have have to see how much or road noise is translated into the cabin when the car runs.

Was told that the diesel tank which was steel in previous swift is changed to plastic in new, which means owners have to be careful on scraping speed breakers.

Price in chennai: 748005 on road as of today
Deliverytime: 8-9 months ( they are not even sure if they can delever it in 9 months courtesy the strike)

Last edited by geeash : 16th September 2011 at 16:21.
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:22   #1404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Price in chennai: 748005 on road as of today
In Trivandrum, its 7,06,000. Wonder if the huge difference is limited to just road tax. I remember chennai dealer qouting a nice amount for 'basic accessories' which is just an eyewash IMO.

Swift bookings seem to be increasing even with the factory strike! Wonder how long will my waiting period be!

Swift allure proves sticky, finds Maruti
Old 16th September 2011, 22:11   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash
The boot is awful. No place for even a small suitcase. what are these guys at MSIL thinking???

Was told that the diesel tank which was steel in previous swift is changed to plastic in new, which means owners have to be careful on scraping speed breakers.
Geeash, agree with the rest but am sure the boot can take a standard 20 kg bag.

Experts if am not wrong even the previous gen swift and most of the modern cars today have a fibre tank; no steel buddy; bye bye PAL.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:56   #1406
Senior - BHPian

How much does the LDi and VDi cost on road in Chennai? I really miss the VDi ABS version in the old swift as I want ABS to be a part of my car, but my budget would not really let me get the ZDi. I don't want the climate control or alloys or the other cosmetic features of the ZDi, but I want ABS :( Is any of the diesel hatchback manufacturers listening to my plea?
Old 16th September 2011, 23:00   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
How much does the LDi and VDi cost on road in Chennai? I really miss the VDi ABS version in the old swift as I want ABS to be a part of my car, but my budget would not really let me get the ZDi. I don't want the climate control or alloys or the other cosmetic features of the ZDi, but I want ABS :( Is any of the diesel hatchback manufacturers listening to my plea?
Give it some time, it will seethe road.
Old 16th September 2011, 23:25   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much does the LDi and VDi cost on road in Chennai?
I dont know. i havent bothered to ask as it has 8-9 months waiting period too. Yeah i miss the ABS vdi Version too. if it was there i would have booked that rightaway. I feel probably maruti will launch it in a year or two after the hype becomes sedate and when vdi no longer sells
Old 17th September 2011, 00:18   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In Trivandrum, its 7,06,000. Wonder if the huge difference is limited to just road tax. I remember chennai dealer qouting a nice amount for 'basic accessories' which is just an eyewash IMO.

Swift bookings seem to be increasing even with the factory strike! Wonder how long will my waiting period be!

Swift allure proves sticky, finds Maruti
In bangalore it is close to 7,80,000. So, a difference of 74000. Thats a huge difference. One of my friend who is in bangalore recently bought his car in Kerala just to pay less tax and he is using the car in bangalore. This may increase in future.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:58   #1410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I dont know. i havent bothered to ask as it has 8-9 months waiting period too. Yeah i miss the ABS vdi Version too. if it was there i would have booked that rightaway. I feel probably maruti will launch it in a year or two after the hype becomes sedate and when vdi no longer sells
Sadly, we live in a society where 'educated' people (in the IT industry that i am in) think ABS is not useful in city, and its only for highways and very high speeds. You wont believe, I was literally made fun of, by my 'educated' colleagues (a whole bay of IT professionals) when i argued regarding the usefulness of ABS in bikes.

Sadly, with those pending 80,000+ bookings, most of which are for the VDi - i dont expect a VDi ABS version soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
In bangalore it is close to 7,80,000. So, a difference of 74000. Thats a huge difference. One of my friend who is in bangalore recently bought his car in Kerala just to pay less tax and he is using the car in bangalore. This may increase in future.
Ex showroom price in Trivandrum - 6,42,221.
Ex showroom price in Bangalore - 6,48,132.
Ex showroom price in Chennai - 6,48,384.

So, its mostly taxes afterall! Bangalore adds 1.4L to the on-road price of a 6.4L car! , while chennai adds almost 1L.

I'll be buying my car in trivandrum rather than chennai too. Though it will be used in chennai, and for monthly chennai <-> trivandrum travel. I can keep the toll receipts handy because it will visit kerala atleast once every 3 months.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks