Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:25   #1141
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
120kms? I think it can be avoided. Even though 48k difference sounds tempting (18k+30k).
Mileage to be expected is around 14 in the city and 18-20kmpl on the highway.
Even though the old model is a great car, now that the new one is out, I suggest you wait a bit, and get the new Swift.

When can we expect the TBhp review ? IMHO, Maruti missed the chance of getting a million+ views and direct potential customer feedback by sidelining Tbhp and giving preference to the more traditional print media first. Maybe due to heavy lobbying from their end. Fail, Maruti.
Thanks sajo, I went through the your zxi ownership thread, which gave good amount of information. Regarding 120 kms on ODO, dealer is saying that due to the truck carrying the cars stuck somewhere near to hyd, they had to get all the cars by driving, could not fully believe it. I personally like the 1st gen model from exterior, and interior new Swift wins.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:31   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
A big let down!

Today I test drove the Swift Zdi at Gurgaon. The on road price in Gurgaon is Rs 693,000 including insurance, registration and the Maruti Loyalty card. Fourth year extended warranty is Rs 2600 or so extra.

My test drive experience is ok except for a very big issue. As soon as I sat in the driver's seat, my left leg (tibia) hit the lower portion of the dashboard. It hit the dashboard every time I pressed the clutch. I tried adjusting the seat but the only time there was a sufficient gap between the two when the seat was extended so far back that no one could sit comfortably in the rear seat.

The sales guy suggested that it could be because of my driving style but I have never faced this issue while driving any other car!

The more worrisome part was that due to this small gap between the highly sensitive tibia bone and the dashboard, a sudden break or even a small accident is bound to cause massive pain to me. Not to talk of an extreme case of broken bone even in case of a minor accident

I am 6ft tall and it is surprising to me that no one else has mentioned this issue on T-BHP.

A big let down considering that I have been waiting for this car for the last one and a half years :(
Similar thing happened to me as well, despite me being five-&-a-half feet tall. When tried sitting in the driver's seat my knee scrapped the steering column, & when I adjusted the driver's seat to my liking (similar to the tall boy hatch Santro Xing that I drive daily), I found myself little more closer to the dash as compared to my Santro. But, I must say that I found the seat in Swift far better... even better the NFF that I test drove few minutes later. Plus the shiny black interiors get a definite plus from my side, though I would like to get the interior detailing done in lighter shade (after market) to reduce the gloomy effect of the dark shaded interiors.

Overall, the car gets a from my side, except the issue with the exterior paint that I have mentioned in Tanveer's Hatch thread.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:39   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Regarding 120 kms on ODO, dealer is saying that due to the truck carrying the cars stuck somewhere near to hyd, they had to get all the cars by driving, could not fully believe it. I personally like the 1st gen model from exterior, and interior new Swift wins.
I dont believe statement by the dealer even slightly. The car was with the dealer since the month of June. Not very common for a hot seller like the Swift.
Even though the dealer may now say 2 months, the chances of getting it earlier than that are very strong since they have ramped up production.
Get the new Swift man, even though it means waiting for a bit. It will be totally worth it!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:49   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Swift is miles ahead of the old generation one in look, feel and features. A discount of 30,000 is a pittance in this situation.

Mind you, even the old Zxi is a good buy. You may want to get the VIN number and check date of manufacture on Wildon's thread. If reasonably new and doesn't look it has suffered any obvious damage or ill-use you can negotiate a little harder and maybe get some more freebies thrown in.

The dealer demanded full advance payment for Swift diesel with a 6 months waiting period? I think MSIL dealers have gone off their rocker. DOn't know why we make such a big fuss over VW dealers being greedy and unresponsive, then. Appears they are all of the same breed!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:59   #1145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
For diesel we need to pay the full amount and they are not accepting deposit
Go for the New Swift. Had a short test drive (ZDI) of about 1 km. The engine is responsive, pulls low speeds easily in third gear, AC is good (blower easily throws cool air at the back seat), sound system very good, clutch is 'makhkhan', gear shifts are equally smooth and interiors simply awesome. What you may not like are the claustrophobic back seats and 205 l of boot space.

What I don't understand is the dealership's insistence on full payment for diesel. It seems that it is too keen on disposing off the old Swift and, if you don't opt for it, selling you the petrol car. I would suggest change the dealer. Too fishy.

Last edited by anandjha : 23rd August 2011 at 12:04.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:05   #1146
Team-BHP Support

I visited Mahalaxmi Auto, Senapati Bapat Road, Pune yesterday while on my way back home to check the new Swift. The showroom is new and is the second new dealer other than Sehgal automobiles at Law College road, barely 3 kms away from this one. Goes to show the aggressive strategy by Maruti for increasing their footprint.

They had the new Swift Petrol and Diesel demo cars parked in the driveway with a tankful of Diesel (didn't bother about the Petrol). The sales guy gave me a brochure and started his yap about the features and how great the Swift is and how customers are flocking in with bags of money for ready delivery and are turned away. He went on to say that the new Swift cannot be given for a test drive since the company hasn't permitted them to do so. On the whole he sounded very proud of the product a l.

I sat in and the feel good factor of the Swift has vastly improved. Grey plastics from the outgoing model are nicely replaced by Black ones. The quality of materials seems improved. I started the engine and the engine noise levels were filtered. The gear shift at stand still was better than the outgoing model. The buttons are nice. The A/C vents will rattle in sometime I guess. Power window switches could have been better.

I am in two minds to upgrade my booking to a ZDi and will take a call by day end.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:27   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am in two minds to upgrade my booking to a ZDi and will take a call by day end.
For the equipment it packs the ZDi sure does make a lot of sense - most importantly you get ABS and Airbags!

Just curious, being the Fiat fan you are, why aren't you picking up the Punto?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:29   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
For the equipment it packs the ZDi sure does make a lot of sense - most importantly you get ABS and Airbags!

Just curious, being the Fiat fan you are, why aren't you picking up the Punto?
The Punto is better handler with a nice suspension as well. Don't want the Punto simply because there are just two service centers for Fiat cars in Pune and they are overloaded. I am going to use this car to travel the length and breadth of this country hence would require adequate service backup which Maruti provides. The resale value of the Swift is perfect. I could get a Punto 90HP for the same price as a ZDi but I'd choose the Swift over it.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:35   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to use this car to travel the length and breadth of this country
For this you need Diesel + All safety features + good A.S.S ; Swift ZDi is the best bet.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:14   #1150
BHPian

Quote:

The sales guy gave me a brochure and started his yap about the features and how great the Swift is and how customers are flocking in with bags of money for ready delivery and are turned away. He went on to say that the new Swift cannot be given for a test drive since the company hasn't permitted them to do so. On the whole he sounded very proud of the product a l.
Yes, seems this is happening at all Maruthi Show rooms, even here in Hyderabad, sales guys were telling like some customers are approaching with blank cheques and asking if they can deliver the Diesel Swift immediately, infact they were offering premium amounts like 50K - 1L for the diesel swift. But again, the sales guy said, one of the customer came to book the VDI, but did not satisfied with rear leg-room, ingress - egress of the swift and went on to book Wagon-R .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Go for the New Swift.
What I don't understand is the dealership's insistence on full payment for diesel. It seems that it is too keen on disposing off the old Swift and, if you don't opt for it, selling you the petrol car. I would suggest change the dealer. Too fishy.
Yeah, thanks for the reply, guess I should wait for now and decide on new swift some time later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The new Swift is miles ahead of the old generation one in look, feel and features. A discount of 30,000 is a pittance in this situation.

The dealer demanded full advance payment for Swift diesel with a 6 months waiting period?
Some dealers ask for 50K booking amount and 6- 8 months waiting period and some saying we need to pay the full amount and vehicle can be delivered after 3 months, but not assuring the duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I dont believe statement by the dealer even slightly.
Get the new Swift man, even though it means waiting for a bit. It will be totally worth it!
Yes, sajo, guess I need to go for the new swift and manage with my Indica till then.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:30   #1151
BHPian

I finally bit the bullet and changed the booking to ZDi from VDi. The SA was quite bemused as I had earlier changed it to VDi in a fit of anger when I learnt that they had discontinued the VDi ABS model.
To be honest the premium that the ZDi commands over the VDi is justified to me as it does offer quite a bit more in terms of kit. The car was to be delivered this week but I am travelling so will get it once I am back.
Waiting for the review now.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:44   #1152
BHPian

What have MSIL done to the boot space. Now I know where does the not-so-bad legroom got generated. There was increase in 50mm of overall length which has not done any good it seems.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:30   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
What have MSIL done to the boot space. Now I know where does the not-so-bad legroom got generated. There was increase in 50mm of overall length which has not done any good it seems.
Exactly. They could have always increased the length some more and still kept it below the 4 m mark. 3850 mm is all they have managed. They could have generated more boot space had they stretched the car (and their imagination). Looks like they are creating a space for the new DZire Compact Sedan!!

The Jazz stands at 3990 mm length and coupled with the short bonnet projection, they have generated oodles of space both within the cabin and in the boot.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:02   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
My test drive experience is ok except for a very big issue. As soon as I sat in the driver's seat, my left leg (tibia) hit the lower portion of the dashboard. It hit the dashboard every time I pressed the clutch. I tried adjusting the seat but the only time there was a sufficient gap between the two when the seat was extended so far back that no one could sit comfortably in the rear seat.
:(
I had the same experience when TD'ing the Swift this weekend. However if you push the seat back fully, this situation can be avoided as the angle of your shin wrt the base reduces. However, this puts the other issue of stretching out to reach the steering forward..and lack of telescopic steering doesnt help here.

Having said that, the quality and layout of the interiors is miles ahead of the present generation, the staid grey has been replaced by a much nicer black , a la Cruze, the stereo and seat fabric looks upmarket and the cabin is also much quieter.

Absolutely no change in performance.....in fact the TD car had a lesser turbo kick as compared to my Dzire.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:09   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Exactly. They could have always increased the length some more and still kept it below the 4 m mark. 3850 mm is all they have managed. They could have generated more boot space had they stretched the car (and their imagination). Looks like they are creating a space for the new DZire Compact Sedan!!

The Jazz stands at 3990 mm length and coupled with the short bonnet projection, they have generated oodles of space both within the cabin and in the boot.
According to the two websites, the specs between the Jazz and Swift are as follows:

Specs----------------JAZZ--------Swift

Overall Length (mm)--3900--------3850
Overall Width (mm)---1695--------1695
Overall Height (mm)--1535--------1530

The Jazz is only 5 cms longer than the Swift, but it has a huge boot space. The width is identical and the Jazz is only 5 mm taller. But as mentioned by fuel_addict, Honda has offered huge cabin/boot space, despite having almost the same specifications as the Swift.

By the way, very few are aware of the new pricing of the Jazz here in Goa. A number of jaws drop when I tell them of the new Jazz price list and the long list of features (comfort/safety) that it has to offer, even for the base variant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks