Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 13:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Range Rover Evoque launched in India!

I have no idea why the Evoque should sell in numbers like this inspite of its ridiculously high pricing. For a lesser amount i can get a Freelander with a lot of more bells and whistles but where do i get a looker like that? I think LR have scored bigtime in the looks department and have a winner in its hand. What remains to be seen is if any other company brings out a mule like this with better looks. Then what? Will LR reduce the price like Honda was forced to do with the Jazz?

Evoque also had the same reaction when released abroad. There were huge waiting lists and as the period got elongated, people started seeing more Evoques on the road and eventually the novelty factor wore out. People also canceled bookings and realizing this LR formulated a "Damage Limitation Policy" whereby the LR management spelt out to their dealers principals, regarding how to handle customers due to delays in delivery and not being able to meet the actual delivery dates given.

There were many buyers who had either sold their present car in anticipation of receiving their Evoque on time or others who wanted to sell for avoiding further depreciation in their resale car value. The crux is that the LR dealer should contact each customer to understand their circumstantial problem and respond accordingly. It would differ from case to case. Imagine any Indian dealer doing that.

They also wanted to stop giving precise delivery dates and only give delivery months instead. This would give them enough time to move around. Still deliveries are getting delayed to sometimes over a month.

I wish LR the best of luck with this overpriced vehicle. If i were in the market for such a vehicle, the LR Evoque would not be my choice by mind, even if it would be by heart but theres no bang for the buck here. Thats the name of the game today when you can get a VW Touareg at 50% off.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 14:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I wish LR the best of luck with this overpriced vehicle. If i were in the market for such a vehicle, the LR Evoque would not be my choice by mind, even if it would be by heart but theres no bang for the buck here. Thats the name of the game today when you can get a VW Touareg at 50% off.
I'd take a Q5 anyday over this and still have some change left over to get a Jetta for the wife! Rightly said, once the novelty of the looks fades over I dont think there will be many takers at this price. I think Tatas/LR trying to cream the market while they can. Expect some price cuts in 6 months or so.

Btw V-16 how does a Touareg come at 50% off. I thought that too was in the 60 lac range. Do tell us if you know of some good discounts being offered.
Old 5th November 2011, 14:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Many people here have commented that the Evoque is overpriced and you can get better off-roaders at this price. While this is indeed very true, do not forget that most of the 'SUV' customers in India use these cars just on the road. And most of these buyers look for snob value, style and comfort. Engine specs and VFM being one of the least concerns. I am sure that the Evoque will be THE perfect celebrity car in India considering how sexy this car looks and will be an uber style statement. And for under 60lakhs starting price, this might outsell the Q5 and X3 quite easily. The BMW X6 easily justifies this trend . The number of X6s on Mumbai roads outnumber the X5 nowadays. And how practical is that SUV? Jeremy Clarkson said it's the worst SUV of 'em all. But it was that sheer style and road presence that the X6 has been selling a lot in India.

Last edited by theragingbull : 5th November 2011 at 14:24.
Old 5th November 2011, 15:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sure this car is over priced, but might still easily sell in good numbers for couple of years! If 80% of the capacity is sold out as of the launch date, I don't see a reason why it will not continue to sell in high numbers. By the way anyone knows what's the capacity per month for this car?

Again there is a LOT of exclusivity for this car. The problems I find with the German SUVs are most of them have the family looks and the combined sales of their family look cars bring down the "exclusivity" factor. That's where RR has a distinctive advantage. Nothing looks like the Evoque other than Evoque. And if the sales go down, I guess they always have the option to bring it as CKDs? They may not do it, but let's see. Why not make hay while the sun shines. And I don't think anyone who is going to take the plunge will care about VFM, it's all about the EXCLUSIVITY. This should be the next hottest property in Bollywood ??
Old 5th November 2011, 16:22   #35
BHPian

Source: Another Forum

Pic 1: Headlamps

Pic 2: Evoque symbol/outline the puddle lamp on wing mirror makes on the ground. I call this Sweeeet!
Attached Thumbnails
Range Rover Evoque launched in India!-headlight.jpg  

Range Rover Evoque launched in India!-photo4.jpg  

Last edited by Y@SH : 5th November 2011 at 16:27.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 16:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I'd take a Q5 anyday over this and still have some change left over to get a Jetta for the wife! Rightly said, once the novelty of the looks fades over I dont think there will be many takers at this price. I think Tatas/LR trying to cream the market while they can. Expect some price cuts in 6 months or so.

Btw V-16 how does a Touareg come at 50% off. I thought that too was in the 60 lac range. Do tell us if you know of some good discounts being offered.
I am sorry but Q5 is nowhere near Evoque in terms of looks, talents or pedigree but I do agree that 72 lakhs for the top end Evoque is a bit too much.
Old 5th November 2011, 17:20   #37
BHPian

@swiftnfurious - Yes, definitely the next hottest properly in Bollywood. Though it is overpriced, no doubt. the evoque in US starts at 43000$ i.e 21.5 lakhs. The entry variant here costs 40 odd lakhs. But this will still be a success in the Indian market just because of the looks and features it offers.
The evoque symbol in the puddle lamps, the panoramic sunroof are some of the features that define excellence.

Attaching a couple pictures of the coupe version of the Evoque I clicked in barcelona.
Attached Thumbnails
Range Rover Evoque launched in India!-img_0353.jpg  

Range Rover Evoque launched in India!-img_0354.jpg  

DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 20:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
@swiftnfurious - Yes, definitely the next hottest properly in Bollywood. Though it is overpriced, no doubt. the evoque in US starts at 43000$ i.e 21.5 lakhs. The entry variant here costs 40 odd lakhs. But this will still be a success in the Indian market just because of the looks and features it offers.
I wouldnt call it overpriced,Think about the 110% Import duties. Yes it is compact in dimensions but it is not overpriced, people call it the Baby RR
The base variant that starts in US,Europe comes with a manual gearbox, no panoramic sunroof, etc. So can Land Rover afford to ask for a premium for this product? Yes, They Can

Last edited by Y@SH : 5th November 2011 at 20:11.
Old 5th November 2011, 20:11   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

This is such a beaut. Saw it on Fifth Gear some time ago and impressed that India is getting it so soon. The pricing is spot-on: believe me someone who wants the Evoque doesn't want it at "affordable" prices

Am gonna try and persuade some of my richer friends to buy this!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 20:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to give an example of how we love to buy cars for the Snob value and not for the features it offers: The record breaking SUV - Fortuner! At 23 L OTR delhi right now it still easily manages to find 800-1000 new homes. Do you really feel that people in India suddenly became passionate about off-roading? Hell no! All these people buy the fortuner for its looks and hence the snob value. The only offroading they ever manage to do in there lifetime is broken city roads. I can bet most of Fortuner owners cannot really tell when to use which mode of driving.

Similarly the Evoque looks like no other vehicle till date. It will turn heads for quite some time to come and I am pretty sure will stay sold out for many many months to come.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Evoque was never meant to be a practical multi purpose SUV. Land Rover already have the Freelander competing against the Q5 and other German like for likes!! The Evoque is a sales success because it offers something different to people who are looking for more than just practicality or VFM.

Its a similar theory to the Mini, you could buy two Swifts for a kitted up Mini, but what would you rather be seen in?!! People dont buy a Mini simply because they want a small hatchback.

Land Rover played it smart, they could have made a souped up Freelander and called it a Range Rover, similar to a Audi Q5 which is simply a dressed up VW Tiguan. While the Q5 now battles with the likes of X3, GLK, Freelander etc..for market share, the Evoque right now is successfully running its own race.

Its a different car inside and out as well. When I experienced this in the showroom you could immediately notice that a lot of effort has been made to make sure the car stands out, whether its the interiors or exteriors. Even the seating position is nothing like a bog standard SUV, its more like sitting in a sports car.

While it is priced out of my range you notice customers booking them and adding a whole lot of extras as well. These people know that the Evoque will not be seen doing School runs, given away as fleet cars etc. Land Rover knew what these customers wanted from day one and they hit the nail on the head, Bang on!!
shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 00:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

As much as I'd hate to admit it, I've done some thinking, and I was wrong, earlier.. And I think the Evoque is a brilliant car at this price point.

Yes, I know. 50-70 lakhs is quite a lot for little SUV powered by a 'measly' 2 liter 4-potter, but just go through that extremely long list of features available on this thing. This is not a SUV. It's an outright accessory. A fashion statement on wheels. A lifestyle, niche car that rich kids would love for their daily runs, and your average millionaire too.

Nothing really compares to this. There is no real 'purpose' for this car, except keep the cash registers at the LR accounts department ringing away as people walk in and go WOW on the way it looks and that smashing interior.

But I must say, the price-tag is very precarious. It's almost at the verge of being a little 'too much', especially when hard-core enthusiasts and practicality-lovers size it up. this car isn't meant to be practical.

But then again, in many ways, it's actually, very practical. You've got 50-70 lakhs lying around, what do you do? You need a car that's large, but not large enough to cause traffic jams around those tight commercial-road corners. You need a car that drinks that dirty fuel, no wait, sips it. You need a car that will ferry 5 in good comfort. A car that is high enough to tackle that massive speed-breaker and those craters on the road, what they call pot-holes. You need something that looks great and something that's different from the regular Audis, BMWs and Mercs around.

Voila. Enter the Evoque!

I mean, who really cares that it's a 4-potter. I'm sure it would still manage good speeds on the highway, handles well enough, and comfortable enough to keep your Mercedes E-Class owning friends happy!

EDIT: Remember, it's the top-end Petrol-Coupe that's 70 lakhs. The diesels are actually priced quite well!
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 12:24   #43
BHPian

Awesome piece of art and engineering but Range Rover Evoque 2.2L Diesel 5 Door Prestige falls into the territory of Porsche Cayenne Diesel which is in the league of it's own.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:50   #44
BHPian

RR Evoques review by Fifth Gear

Also found a video that shows all the accessories available

Last edited by Y@SH : 6th November 2011 at 16:54.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 22:52   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I'm eager awaiting an official review!!

I was hoping Tata would act as a game changer and price it well. But they've disappointed. Seems to be that it's arch rivals the Q7(most vfm but common) and Cayanne(still better vfm with equal or more snob value) have the Evoque beat on space and performance.

When are the RR sport and RR autography/vogue due to change?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks