Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 23:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Range Rover Evoque launched in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Guys I'm eager awaiting an official review!!

I was hoping Tata would act as a game changer and price it well. But they've disappointed. Seems to be that it's arch rivals the Q7(most vfm but common) and Cayanne(still better vfm with equal or more snob value) have the Evoque beat on space and performance.

When are the RR sport and RR autography/vogue due to change?
Looking at most prospective customers of these cars Q7, Cayenne etc (film stars, sports stars, big businessmen etc) what do they care for more space??? Its not like they are buying to carry 10 people around. Isint the badge enough?

RR is simply altogether another level to Audi and probably even Porche. I still feel the most beautiful car on earth (Evoque) is still not too expensive for that price. I'd buy without second thoughts if only I had the moolah!
Old 7th November 2011, 00:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
@swiftnfurious - Though it is overpriced, no doubt. the evoque in US starts at 43000$ i.e 21.5 lakhs. The entry variant here costs 40 odd lakhs.
Great pics, look a killer in the 3 door format. And, the Honda CRV starts at $22k in US, and Rs23L + here, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Awesome piece of art and engineering but Range Rover Evoque 2.2L Diesel 5 Door Prestige falls into the territory of Porsche Cayenne Diesel which is in the league of it's own.
Wow, "art & engineering" surely is a catchy phrase!

And check out the Cayenne Diesel which starts at Rs63L ex showroom, without any accessories.
Old 7th November 2011, 01:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

I was at the Evoque launch in Bombay and the car is really a marvel..I kind of liked it. The fit and finish i very classy a few touches taken in from Jaguar on the interiors. The exterior is a stunner, right proportions and the real agressive look.

The Evoque 5 door comes with the 2.2ltr HSE 190 bhp engine of the Freelander and has three variants. The base model is for Rs 55 lakhs on road and the top end model is for Rs 68 lakhs on road. The 3 door Evoque comes only in Petrol and is priced ar Rs 72 lakhs on road.

Last edited by speedy : 7th November 2011 at 01:24.
Old 7th November 2011, 13:12   #49
BHPian

Went to the showroom yesterday. The car is impressive and so is the price. The downside is that even if you make full payment today, you will not get the car before April 2012 considering they are sold out in the first lot of cars.
Old 7th November 2011, 14:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_e46 View Post
Went to the showroom yesterday. The car is impressive and so is the price. The downside is that even if you make full payment today, you will not get the car before April 2012 considering they are sold out in the first lot of cars.
I just hope TM does something to increase the production capacity. Going to book mine next weekend and was promised delivery within 3-4 months. But now April 2012?!?! It also depends on configuration and level of customization, I think maximum you would get it by April 2012, but mostly within 4 months. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I'd take a Q5 anyday over this and still have some change left over to get a Jetta for the wife! Rightly said, once the novelty of the looks fades over I dont think there will be many takers at this price. I think Tatas/LR trying to cream the market while they can. Expect some price cuts in 6 months or so.

Btw V-16 how does a Touareg come at 50% off. I thought that too was in the 60 lac range. Do tell us if you know of some good discounts being offered.
Sorry my mistake, its the Phaeton thats available at 50% off and not the Touareg. though there are hefty discounts on the top versions of the Touareg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Just to give an example of how we love to buy cars for the Snob value and not for the features it offers: The record breaking SUV - Fortuner! At 23 L OTR delhi right now it still easily manages to find 800-1000 new homes. Do you really feel that people in India suddenly became passionate about off-roading? Hell no! All these people buy the fortuner for its looks and hence the snob value. The only offroading they ever manage to do in there lifetime is broken city roads. I can bet most of Fortuner owners cannot really tell when to use which mode of driving.

Similarly the Evoque looks like no other vehicle till date. It will turn heads for quite some time to come and I am pretty sure will stay sold out for many many months to come.
Till now, one could not get a decent looking SUV with presence and capability for as less or even close to the Fortuner's price. Even today for its size and capability, its still very well priced. Thats why its a record breaking vehicle, much as was the Skoda Octavia, when launched at a price of 10.5 Lakhs. Also there is the Toyota service reliability which has won the customers over. Why else would a really ugly Qualis or an Innova which looks more a Van than an SUV find buyers and be best selling vehicles in theor class. Even in the second hand market, these dont depreciate easily.

Indians love their SUVs as it makes them look Macho and the seating has a higher view overall. If compared to other indegeniously made SUVs available, i think the FOrtuner outclasses them in size, capability and pf course price. The other contenders would be the Captiva, CRV (which do not have a third seat and the CRV comes only in Petrol). Am not even considering the lower ones. The Endevour's rear seating is more of a joke. The Santa Fe is too steeply priced and does not look so good so The Fortuner's numbers are on account of its overall package and some very smart pricing strategy my Toyota.

Yes people do buy the SUVs more for the snob value but we have personally seen that the Fortuner is a very formidable off roader, though the price at which it comes is restructuring for using it in OTRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Evoque was never meant to be a practical multi purpose SUV. Land Rover already have the Freelander competing against the Q5 and other German like for likes!! The Evoque is a sales success because it offers something different to people who are looking for more than just practicality or VFM.

Its a similar theory to the Mini, you could buy two Swifts for a kitted up Mini, but what would you rather be seen in?!! People dont buy a Mini simply because they want a small hatchback.

Land Rover played it smart, they could have made a souped up Freelander and called it a Range Rover, similar to a Audi Q5 which is simply a dressed up VW Tiguan. While the Q5 now battles with the likes of X3, GLK, Freelander etc..for market share, the Evoque right now is successfully running its own race.

Its a different car inside and out as well. When I experienced this in the showroom you could immediately notice that a lot of effort has been made to make sure the car stands out, whether its the interiors or exteriors. Even the seating position is nothing like a bog standard SUV, its more like sitting in a sports car.

While it is priced out of my range you notice customers booking them and adding a whole lot of extras as well. These people know that the Evoque will not be seen doing School runs, given away as fleet cars etc. Land Rover knew what these customers wanted from day one and they hit the nail on the head, Bang on!!
YEs the Evoque is a niche car. What happens to overpriced niche cars is that once the novelty wears off, there are very few takers. Im talking about India. See the market for Hummers. Try getting a buyer for even at half of what they had cost a few years ago. Indian love VFM and a very small percentage does not bother about that. This is not exactly a Rolls or a Bentley where the buyer would not really care what it costs as there is a real snob value attached to those super luxury vehicles. Mind you, the resale of these ais also not too good, price wise i mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Looking at most prospective customers of these cars Q7, Cayenne etc (film stars, sports stars, big businessmen etc) what do they care for more space??? Its not like they are buying to carry 10 people around. Isint the badge enough?

RR is simply altogether another level to Audi and probably even Porche. I still feel the most beautiful car on earth (Evoque) is still not too expensive for that price. I'd buy without second thoughts if only I had the moolah!
Well actually for Film stars and politicians its all about space for different reasons. While Film starts spend a lot of time in their vehicles travelling they also carry a lot of stuff with them. Their make up kit, change of various clothes etc etc. The list is almost endless. To top that it has to be comfortable. Thats why earlier the VW micro bus was the darling of film stars. Regarding politicians, they also carry a lot of baggage with them, mostly it consists of people. Politicians also travel a lot, more than the film stars. They have to go to remote interiors where roads hardly exist, thats why they need suvs and big suvs. Size does count here. Whike Film stars carry a secretary and a Chamcha with them, the politicians carry the same, only the chamchas are in the plural. Many a times politicos are also accompanied by journos. Actually for both, a big comfortable SUV is the order of the day.
V-16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 18:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Well actually for Film stars and politicians its all about space for different reasons. While Film starts spend a lot of time in their vehicles travelling they also carry a lot of stuff with them. Their make up kit, change of various clothes etc etc. The list is almost endless. To top that it has to be comfortable. Thats why earlier the VW micro bus was the darling of film stars. Regarding politicians, they also carry a lot of baggage with them, mostly it consists of people. Politicians also travel a lot, more than the film stars. They have to go to remote interiors where roads hardly exist, thats why they need suvs and big suvs. Size does count here. Whike Film stars carry a secretary and a Chamcha with them, the politicians carry the same, only the chamchas are in the plural. Many a times politicos are also accompanied by journos. Actually for both, a big comfortable SUV is the order of the day.
now come on v16. The Evoque is hardly going to be the ONLY car in their stable!!! I cant believe what you wrote! This is going to be the car to take to the late night parties and all! And as far as politicians are concerned, for village tours they have their choppers! This will be the toy for their (not_so_spoilt) kids...
Old 7th November 2011, 18:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its so hot !! But im so terribly disapointed at the pricing. As far as i can remember, when we first heard of the Evoque over 2 years ago, it was supposed to be the game changer SUV at the price of an X1 and Q3. It suddenly a part of the big boys club (Q7 and Cayenne). Even at Q5 pricing a lot more people would have considered it.
Anyways given the way it looks and space offered, i feel this will be the 'Rich' and 'Cool' Boys car !!
Old 7th November 2011, 19:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the coupe base version on Saturday. The evoque looks even better from up close, every view is distinct, new and quite revolutionary. Even the base model is pretty well equipped IMHO. My drive impressions -
- Interior packaging is excellent - quite roomy for the size
- You sit lower than most other Range Rovers, yet you get a pretty decent view of the road
- The Cabin is a good place to be in, luxurious and well appointed - controls are easy to reach
- The panoramic roof is wonderful
- The 2.0 L petrol engine is fairly adequate for this size of a vehicle, I don't think it is as heavy as the other Range Rovers and the 237 bhp engine pulls fairly
- I think the handling and ride are more car like than other range rovers though I did not really have a chance to test this out because I was driving on big wide Texas roads

I walked away very impressed. Price does seem a tad bit too high, but that hasn't dampened the sales - All incoming vehicles at the local LR dealer have been spoken for till end February!
Old 7th November 2011, 19:53   #55
BHPian

Just saw this review by Top Gear. Thought ill share coz its not been shared here.

Looks brilliant for me. If 70 lakh can give you exclusivity and a very good looking/performing car, I see many takers for it.

Last edited by Kimified : 7th November 2011 at 19:56.
Kimified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 20:46   #56
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Have been seeing the ads since a few days.

The face has resemblance with a crocodile. Quite mean looking from the front and front three quarter.

Wish one day I could afford something like this.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:08   #57
BHPian

Checked out Evoque yesterday at Bangalore. Few observations:
1) The car needs flashy colors to show off. The car here in Bangalore was silver and did not do justice to the design.
2) Evoque is so much ahead in design compared to other Landies. After seeing this, how would somebody put money on Freelander or even on bigger cousins? I will be keen to see number of Freelanders sold after few months.
3) The sunroof is humongous. It doesn't open though. You can only operate the motorized shades / blinds.
4) The dash and side cladding was in black rough clothing (leather?). The texture is quite rough and prone to dust marks. The showroom car already had finger impressions on it. Not to my liking...

Car is getting officially launched in Bangalore only on 2nd/3rd of Dec at UB City. TD will be available only after that. Booking for second lot is open (first lot sold out) with delivery expected in March.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Its so hot !! But im so terribly disapointed at the pricing. As far as i can remember, when we first heard of the Evoque over 2 years ago, it was supposed to be the game changer SUV at the price of an X1 and Q3. It suddenly a part of the big boys club (Q7 and Cayenne). Even at Q5 pricing a lot more people would have considered it.
Anyways given the way it looks and space offered, i feel this will be the 'Rich' and 'Cool' Boys car !!
The base model is priced at 55 Lakhs OTR , I think it falls in the Q5 , X3 category. So whats all the fuzz about ? Its only the top of the line 2 door model that's priced higher. 55 for this RR is not expensive at all. It seems like VFM considering what it has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavv View Post

Car is getting officially launched in Bangalore only on 2nd/3rd of Dec at UB City. TD will be available only after that. Booking for second lot is open (first lot sold out) with delivery expected in March.
I guess that answers everyone's doubt on Evoque being overpriced. 55 Lakh base price is a good deal for such an engineering and good looking marvel. Great reviews everywhere about this car. I believe this is the next game changer in the luxury SUV category.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th November 2011 at 20:07. Reason: merging posts
Old 8th November 2011, 18:05   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Indians love their SUVs as it makes them look Macho and the seating has a higher view overall. If compared to other indegeniously made SUVs available, i think the FOrtuner outclasses them in size, capability and pf course price. The other contenders would be the Captiva, CRV (which do not have a third seat and the CRV comes only in Petrol). Am not even considering the lower ones. The Endevour's rear seating is more of a joke. The Santa Fe is too steeply priced and does not look so good so The Fortuner's numbers are on account of its overall package and some very smart pricing strategy my Toyota.
I agree to all your points. But as you also stressed upon the main reason why fortuner outsells all its competitors put together month after month constantly is its looks. And I am kind of forced to believe that the Evoque will do the same to the Q5 and X3. Firstly its a new launch so will have the exclusivity factor and secondly it just looks drop dead gorgeous.
Old 9th November 2011, 18:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I agree to all your points. But as you also stressed upon the main reason why fortuner outsells all its competitors put together month after month constantly is its looks. And I am kind of forced to believe that the Evoque will do the same to the Q5 and X3. Firstly its a new launch so will have the exclusivity factor and secondly it just looks drop dead gorgeous.
No dr. i never said that the main reason why Fortuner outsells its competition is its looks. Yes the Fortuner does look good but so does the Captiva. I attributed Fortuner's sales due to its overall package of which looks is a part. The Qualis was downright ugly but the package was brilliant. If the Pricing was wrong and capability doubtful, I doubt the Fortuner would be a a runaway success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16

If compared to other indegeniously made SUVs available, i think the FOrtuner outclasses them in size, capability and pf course price. The other contenders would be the Captiva, CRV (which do not have a third seat and the CRV comes only in Petrol). Am not even considering the lower ones. The Endevour's rear seating is more of a joke. The Santa Fe is too steeply priced and does not look so good so The Fortuner's numbers are on account of its overall package and some very smart pricing strategy my Toyota.
Having said that, the Evoque is a brilliant looking piece of work, perhaps one of the prettiest and most attractive SUVs ive seen and i do agree that its looks will play a major part in its sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
now come on v16. The Evoque is hardly going to be the ONLY car in their stable!!! I cant believe what you wrote! This is going to be the car to take to the late night parties and all! And as far as politicians are concerned, for village tours they have their choppers! This will be the toy for their (not_so_spoilt) kids...
What is so unbelievable? Anyone who has the capability of buying a car of that value, SUV or not, we can be sure its not going to be their only car. When i spoke, i meant about the larger SUVs which the politicos and film stars use and size does matter there. Why else would the Q7 outsell the Q5.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks