Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 23:48   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Mod Note : The Team-BHP Official Jetta 1.4L Petrol Review has been added at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

Source: ICB

Quote:
The Jetta with the 1.8 Liter TSI petrol engine could be positioned below the diesel variant as an entry level model, just like Skoda does for the Laura. This kind of positioning might be Volkswagen India’s strategy to target those folks who might still buy a petrol engined car given their limited everyday running, for whom the extra cost of a diesel engined Jetta makes no sense. A timeline as to when exactly the Jetta TSI Sedan will be launched remains unknown at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-volkswagenjettatsipetrolsedan1.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-volkswagenjettatsipetrolsedan2.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2012 at 18:02. Reason: Adding link to review
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 00:08   #2
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

I really dont know how succesfull this model will be. The 1.8 TSi motor is known to be a real guzzler. The Laura TSi sells (in very modest numbers) mainly because of the performance it offers as compared to the 120BHP tuned engine in the entry level Laura Diesels.
The Jetta entry level vehicles though have the 140BHP engine and hence the performance advantage that the petrol might have will be blunted to an extent.
Comparing running costs between the TSi and the TDi, anyone with decent math will choose the the TDi.
Unless ofcourse the TSi is priced much much lower than the TDi, like in the case with the Superb where there is nearly 4lakhs in difference in cost.
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

There will be few takers for Petrol car buyers at this price, but surely there this is a good move to give an option for folks who want to stay away from Skoda. Not sure how much successful VW would be in selling this.

If they price is right the Civic and Petrol Altis can have some competition, which are favorites for folks as its Toyota/Honda.
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I really dont know how succesfull this model will be. The 1.8 TSi motor is known to be a real guzzler.
The Laura TSi MT actually is pretty fuel effecient for the performance it delivers. Having owned a petrol Corolla for many years I can say it is as effecient as the corolla despite so powerful. That's the beauty of the TSi engine.

Quote:
Comparing running costs between the TSi and the TDi, anyone with decent math will choose the the TDi.
I believe that is the 120 hp 1.4 TSi. My guess is VW will price it much lower than the diesels and will be targeting the petrol buyers in this segment. With a displacement of just 1400cc expect this one to be highly fuel efficient as well. Not a bad move in my view.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:35   #5
BHPian

Good move IMO. We are thinking of buying a Laura TSi, so what I would like to know is, will it be priced lower than or equal to Laura TSI? Looking at Jetta's pricing, I am not too sure about it.
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:11   #6
BHPian

This is 1.4 TSI. there is no 1.8 TSI in India for Jetta.
Will be priced competitively for sure. expect below 12 Lacs.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Nice. The Jetta is a great car and a TSI under the hood will mean better value and more fun to drive. I agree with Santosh. The 1.8 TSI is actually a very efficient engine because of high torque at low RPMs. But it is bought by people who love visiting the redline every now and then, so it appears to be less efficient.
I have been hearing talk about the 1.4 TSI with 122 bhp being offered, which should help the pricing and the fuel economy, but the heart hopes that its the 1.8 TSI.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.8 TSi motor is known to be a real guzzler.
Really? Who told you that?

It's also a news to me that buyers compare 160BHP TSi MT with 110 BHP TDi MT and then buy the TSi because it has power advantage!

BTW, there is no 120 BHP Laura!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Really? Who told you that?

It's also a news to me that buyers compare 160BHP TSi MT with 110 BHP TDi MT and then buy the TSi because it has power advantage!

BTW, there is no 120 BHP Laura!
+1 to that!

If compared to the TDi, yes the TSi could be termed as a "Guzzler". But, the TSi in itself is a pretty amazing engine. Probably, the best in its class. Yet, it does return decent FE, while churning amazing power.
And yes, there aint no 120 BHP Laura.

Coming to the Jetta, I doubt it would be priced equal to that of the Laura TSi. VW always had a strategy to price their cars at a slight premium, as compared to Skoda.
If priced right, this sure would see sales.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 22nd November 2011 at 11:24.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

They should get the 1.4 TSi and not the 1.8. We all enthusiasts will want the 1.8 but the real market dynamics will ensure that the car would not see much numbers. With the 1.4 TSI it might change the scenario. The real issue for me is the pricing. If they price it above the Altis and civic petrol and the Cruze diesel engines then all it will do is share some numbers with its cousin Laura and that number is not too great to start with. This car will be a hit if launched at 12-13L max and nothing more. Although I doubt it will come at that price point. With the current fuel prices ( and they are only going to get worse with elections coming up in 2014) I don't think that in this segment a buyer will opt for the Petrol variant if the difference in the 2 engines is only 1L.
With the 1.4 TSi they must be saving quite a lot of money right in terms of taxes etc? Also I read in the papers that finally the Govt has decided to ease the taxes on european goods and cars will cost a little less now. How much of this is passed on to the consumer is left to be seen though.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:34   #11
BHPian

Sorry I meant the 110bhp TDi. Well the 1.8TSi is a stonker of an engine, but a friend of my who bought it last year claims it doesnt return more than 8kmpl. It might be his heavy foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
+1 to that!

If compared to the TDi, yes the TSi could be termed as a "Guzzler". But, the TSi in itself is a pretty amazing engine. Probably, the best in its class. Yet, it does return decent FE, while churning amazing power.

Coming to the Jetta, I doubt it would be priced equal to that of the Laura TSi. VW always had a strategy to price their cars at a slight premium, as compared to Skoda.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:44   #12
BHPian

^^ Turbo petrols are extremely sensitive to the way it is driven. Mine returns 9 in the cities generally, one highway drive at 80 to 100 kmph returned 16.67 kmpl according to trip computer. I find the computer fairly accurate but even if returned 15, its a big deal for a 160 bhp 250 nm torque engine in the real world. Very aggressive driving does drop the FE to 8, but it does so in all the other petrol cars as well with a capacity above 1.6L.
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:04   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really dont know how succesfull this model will be. The 1.8 TSi motor is known to be a real guzzler. The Laura TSi sells (in very modest numbers) mainly because of the performance it offers as compared to the 120BHP tuned engine in the entry level Laura Diesels.
The Jetta entry level vehicles though have the 140BHP engine and hence the performance advantage that the petrol might have will be blunted to an extent.
Unless ofcourse the TSi is priced much much lower than the TDi, like in the case with the Superb where there is nearly 4lakhs in difference in cost.
There is no 120 BHP Laura. The Earlier 1.9 Pd was 105 BHP and that is discontinued now. The 140 BHP in the Jetta is exactly what the Laura presently has.

People do buy the 1.8 TSI for the power and performance yet it is not really significantly different from the 2.0 TDI in a 0-140 dash - just a 1 sec difference. The 1.8 TSI with the (for the laura) bare bones spec level as well combines to make it the lowest price Laura and the same would be the case with the Jetta. They would compete well with the Civic and Altis in a similar price band.

Petrols compete with petrol alternatives.

Yet the overall conclusion by all that this will not set the charts on fire may be true unless VW actually does some very aggressive pricing (unlikely for the brand). Still it will complete the range. In todays times of high petrol prices anyways most petrol car sales are hit.
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
+1 to that!

+2 to that, TSI is super efficient and also gives out a torque of 250Nm from 1.8Ltrs displacement compared to 172Nm odd of Civic and Altis. I HAVE it. People who HAVE it should comment I drive in Pune office to home, many times during peak traffic and not once have I got below 12.5kmpl,

By the way, I am going to die if Jetta comes with a TSI because that's what my heart was set on but could not get it to my budget since anyway I wanted a petrol. I will be so screwed. Hope it never comes

For fuel efficiency seriously, read my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...my-fiesta.html

And I am not exaggerating with these figures. Generally people do that when they talk about something they own.
Yeah 120bhp laura and TSI being a guzzler is damn funny.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2011 at 17:22. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use Multi-Quote option when Quoting more than a post at a time. Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:05   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
This is 1.4 TSI. there is no 1.8 TSI in India for Jetta.
Will be priced competitively for sure. expect below 12 Lacs.
Thanks. I have also heard rumours of the VW Jetta coming with a 1.4 TSI. Performance could easily match the Civic & Altis, while the value equation would be unbeatable (if priced well, of course). However, VW will have three main challenges with the 1.4 TSI motor:

- The image of a "1.4". Most mass-market customers gauge the value of an engine by the "cc". This wouldn't work the Jetta's way in the premium segment.

- A complication in brand positioning where VW is using an inferior engine to the Skoda Laura (1.8 TSI).

- Price : If the 1.4 TSI is significantly cheaper than the diesel, well, it could make the diesel look severely over-priced. On the other hand, a 1.4 TSI can't be priced too close (within 2 lakhs of the diesel) as you get 1.8 TSIs for the money.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks