Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
160 HP version is twin charged. While 122 HP is turbo charged.
You talking about the 1.4L? It's twin turbo?
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:59   #32
BHPian

Yes, it is about 1.4L. 122 HP is turbo charged and 160 HP is super charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
You talking about the 1.4L? It's twin turbo?
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:20   #33
BHPian

The 160bhp version of 1.4l TSI motor is supercharged+turbocharged. The supercharger is used to give boost at low RPM and the turbocharger is used to give boost at higher RPM when turbocharger is fully spooled up in this way torque is delivered right from the word go.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:02   #34
Team-BHP Support

If they are expanding on TSI motors in India, I guess the Polo/Vento will get the 1.2/1.4 TSI, and the Jetta should come with 1.4TSI. And most probably it will be the 1.4 TSI with 122bhp (as the 160bhp version will not have any price advantage). One point to note is that in outside markets, the 1.4 TSI variants are more expensive than the 1.6 motor (the current petrol choice in India).
Old 25th November 2011, 00:35   #35
BHPian

^^@vb-san, 1.6 MPI is replaced by 1.2 TSI which develops equal power and more torque in EU. The 1.4 TSI 122 BHP (Turbo version) is equivalent to an NA 1.8 ltr competitive engine. The 1.4 TSI (twin charged) and 1.8 TSI (single turbo) which develops similar power and torque is equal to any 2.5 ltr NA engine. The prices are similar to said configs but TSI's hold better efficiency and torque characteristics.

Hence, its really a bonus that we are getting Laura TSI's at the given prices and to remain competitive, loses on features.

If Jetta is launched with 122 bhp 1.4 TSI, it will certainly be competitive with Altis and Civic but loses out to Laura TSI on performance. 160 bhp 1.4 TSI is too high tech and may require better petrol than what we get here and may be priced much higher too. Looks like a double-edged sword to VW India.

I however wish to see the Jetta with 160 bhp config mainly to remain superior to the sister brand Skoda and charge a premium due to technology and hardware than perceived brand value.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 08:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Its really a bonus that we are getting Laura TSI's at the given prices and to remain competitive, loses on features.

If Jetta is launched with 122 bhp 1.4 TSI, it will certainly be competitive with Altis and Civic but loses out to Laura TSI on performance. 160 bhp 1.4 TSI is too high tech and may require better petrol than what we get here and may be priced much higher too. Looks like a double-edged sword to VW India.

I however wish to see the Jetta with 160 bhp config mainly to remain superior to the sister brand Skoda and charge a premium due to technology and hardware than perceived brand value.
Good points. I feel, once the 1.4 TSI gets into India VW may move that into the Laura as well, and the 1.8 TSI may remain in the vRS variant. That way, the so called premium tag can be maintained, and will draw more crowd to Petrol due to its fuel consumption manners.

That said, if I have to make a choice, I will go for the 1.8 TSI. That type of an engine does not happen very often! And for that one reason, I feel the current Laura TSI is an extremely well-priced machine.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:39   #37
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Is that the Trendline variant being tested ? According to this article, the Jetta Petrol will be launched during the Auto Expo next year.

Volkswagen To Launch Jetta Petrol Soon | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-2012_volkswagen_jetta_petrol.jpg
Old 26th November 2011, 15:41   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Is that the Trendline variant being tested ? According to this article, the Jetta Petrol will be launched during the Auto Expo next year.
I doubt if the 1.8TSI will get into the Jetta (as reported in the article). The dealer in my town mentioned that 1.4 TSI Jetta is expected in early 2012.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I doubt if the 1.8TSI will get into the Jetta (as reported in the article). The dealer in my town mentioned that 1.4 TSI Jetta is expected in early 2012.
I guess the Jan Auto-Expo holds all the answers. Lets see what annoucements
does VW make then. The 1.2 TSI eventually has to come to India. Its just a
question of when.

With Ford bringing in Dual Clutch to C-segment, VW also at some point in time
will need to bring the DSG mated to these beautiful engines.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Guys any news on the TDI getting climate control? I need to buy the car before March to avail depreciation benefits !!
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Here is yet another shot of the all-new Jetta TSI being tested in Pune. Though a lot of people in the forum and elsewhere have reported that it is going to be the 1.4 liter version with a power output of 122 bhp, I really wish that Volkswagen brings in the stonking 1.8 liter 160 bhp version for our market. With the latter already powering a whole lot of VWAG cars like Skoda's Laura and Superb and even Audi's A4, it makes more sense for Volkswagen to bring in that engine in the new Jetta too, thus leveraging some volumes out of it.

Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?-volkswagen-jetta-tsi.jpg

Who knows how long Volkswagen is going to make us wait to know the answer?

Image Source: My Blog (www.anything-on-wheels.blogspot.com)
Old 16th December 2011, 00:17   #42
BHPian

Here's some more fodder for the 1.4 or 1.8 TSI discussion. BS Motoring states quite confidently that this is the same 1.8 TSI that we petrol heads love.

SCOOP! New Volkswagen Jetta petrol

Not a very long wait to find out now. It'll be launched in the Expo. With the right pricing, mein gott it will be an awesome car!
Old 16th December 2011, 00:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

The petrol tsi is not be the volume seller in the Jetta range,except for some petrol-heads like us.
I wonder in VW will take this opportunity to got the much missed ACC in the jetta,although if it does so,the existing owners are not going to like it one bit!

VW could do something unique and get a more diesel engine,maybe a first for india 'sports' diesel variant.
Old 16th December 2011, 01:40   #44
BHPian

If VW really is bringing in the 1.4TSI they could use it across the range - Polo, Vento, and the Jetta. While the Jetta could also use the 1.8TSI.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this VW Jetta at sion today. The driver also mentioned that the car is a 1.8 PETROL engine. Too bad that he wasnt aware of the power output. The car was on its way to Pune. I hope its going to come out during the auto-expo.

Name:  ForumRunner_20111218_123856.png
Views: 1496
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20111218_123432.png
Views: 1631
Size:  273.3 KB
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Most Viewed