Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:05   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I thought the 1.4 TSI could deliver more power at around 170 BHP. Is this an older version of the TSI or the same one in a detuned state?
This is a detuned one. The 170BHP variant features a turbo charger as well as super charger and direct injection. The 122BHP one only has a turbo with direct injection.

The 1.4TSI 170BHP has actually won engine of the year award a couple of years back.

The 170bhp would have been great to have but I believe the high output from the 1.4L engine requires high octane possible 95+ that's why they had no choice but to get the 122BHP one.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am expecting the 1.4 TSI to come with the 7-speed DSG
With due respect I just don't see the sense here. Let me explain. If VW are planning to bring in a petrol engine, it is because they want to cater to a wider range of customers. Since they are bringing a smaller displacement turbo-charged engine, they would automatically be in a lower excise slab and hence would keep costs lower. Now adding a DSG to it would just bring the pricing at par or even higher than its entry level manual diesel variant. We all know that even if both the petrol and diesel return the same mileage, the running cost will be lower for the diesel. IMO, a petrol auto would find very few takers over the diesel. Hence, I still stand by my speculation of only trendline and comfortline manual variants may be launched.

Back in 2008 when the Jetta was introduced in India, it had been launched with a 1.6litre petrol motor producing 105bhp (sounds familiar right??) as well. That too was launched only in the base (trendline) variant and was a market dud cause it was more expensive than its rivals and was under-powered. Now I am not saying the 1.4Tsi will be underpowered but it may just find its place in the Polo/ Vento in the time to come and for some reason I see VW following the same strategy once again.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:41   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
With due respect I just don't see the sense here. Let me explain. If VW are planning to bring in a petrol engine, it is because they want to cater to a wider range of customers. Since they are bringing a smaller displacement turbo-charged engine, they would automatically be in a lower excise slab and hence would keep costs lower. Now adding a DSG to it would just bring the pricing at par or even higher than its entry level manual diesel variant. We all know that even if both the petrol and diesel return the same mileage, the running cost will be lower for the diesel. IMO, a petrol auto would find very few takers over the diesel. Hence, I still stand by my speculation of only trendline and comfortline manual variants may be launched.
Well, it’s all speculations at this point right?
It’s a well known fact that Indians love diesels, but strangely the manufacturers are responding with Petrol ATs (recent one being the Fiesta DCT). Renault, Toyota, Honda etc. are also in the same space (as of the Jetta) with Petrol AT options.
Anyway, whether it is 6-speed MT or 7-speed DSG, the introduction of these modern engines can surely be considered as a step forward. And how do we know if the customer is ready for something new, unless an option is provided to him/her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!
Now I am not saying the 1.4Tsi will be underpowered but it may just find its place in the Polo/ Vento in the time to come and for some reason I see VW following the same strategy once again.
Very unlikely to happen (atleast for now). Unless they wanted to sell a Polo with 8-9 lakhs price tag.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back in 2008 when the Jetta was introduced in India, it had been launched with a 1.6litre petrol motor producing 105bhp (sounds familiar right??) as well. That too was launched only in the base (trendline) variant and was a market dud cause it was more expensive than its rivals and was under-powered. Now I am not saying the 1.4Tsi will be underpowered but it may just find its place in the Polo/ Vento in the time to come and for some reason I see VW following the same strategy once again.
I would like to differ...

1.6L engine is a naturally aspirated one - with avg torque. But 1.4Tsi is a turbo charged engine - High torque. Driveability will be far better in a 1.4Tsi even though power output is only 10% more than the 1.6L engine. Tsi engines have a flatter torque curve than a TDI engine.

Lower capacity engine also means better FE. IMHO, it is a good practice to reduce the cubic capacity of the engine when we improve technology, instead of having practically unusable extra power and lower FE.

As Vid6639 has pointed out, it would be the quality of fuel available in India, which would have compelled VW to fore-go super charger. 1.2Tsi in Vento and Polo / 1.4Tsi in Jetta is still OK for me. Just my opinion..
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

Honestly a Polo with 1.6TDI would make a lot more sense over a 1.4TSI,

Back to Jetta, they need to do AT and MT and also do a good correction in terms of price for the Jetta and perhaps get back to adding the wonderful leather that exists in the previous models,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:31   #81
BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

I just saw the link to launch of New Jetta Petrol 1.4tsi : New Volkswagen Jetta Petrol to launch in April| Zigwheels.com

This is the way to go as smaller engines mean much more efficiency.

Last edited by Vasuki : 22nd March 2012 at 14:33.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:50   #82
BHPian

According the the VW uk website the jetta with the 1.4l 122bhp engine does 0-100 in 9.8 secs and has a top speed of 200 kmph!

Now that is reasonably quick and if the 1.4l also manages to be more frugal then thats brilliant!

If they price the car well, then we really should be applauding VW for this move!
The move is probably intended to soften the blow of the sky rocketing petrol prices!
Old 24th March 2012, 11:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see why would the Jetta 1.4 Tsi find that many more takers over the Laura petrol. The Laura has a more powerful petrol engine with similar features and build quality and it will inevitably be positioned/priced below the Jetta.

I speculate that the Jetta will be launched only in the Trendline and Comfortline trim with the 6-speed manual gearbox and priced between 13 and 15.5 lakhs on-road Mumbai.
Exactly my view too. Why on earth would I buy an underpowered Jetta? When I can get a Laura 1.8TSi for the same or lower price? Toyota have already improved their 1.8L engine tune for more power and when the new Civic is launched so will Honda improve their 1.8 to about 140-145 BHP.

Torque does play a role but still... VW does not seem to learn from their old Jetta mistake.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:08   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
According the the VW uk website the jetta with the 1.4l 122bhp engine does 0-100 in 9.8 secs and has a top speed of 200 kmph!
The 1.4 TSI Jetta will be a good option for those in the market for a petrol sedan in the C+ segment , esp for those looking to move to a German/Euro class sedan from Korean/ Japanese cars that most have experienced at some point in time. If the refinement of the 1.8 TSI is anything to go by, expect the 1.4 TSI to be class leading in this respect.

Those 0-100 figures are just about par for the course in this segment. The Jetta diesel also should have similar 0-100 figures and the the diesel torque should help it post much better in gear acceleration times as well. But most importantly the diesel Jetta will be cheaper to run than the 1.4 TSI powered petrol Jetta.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

This could be help in selling the Fiat T-Jet, as it has almost equally powered engine & only the lower quality interiors & probably the bad word of mouth publicity to go against.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

VW prices this in the Civic/Altis category, this TSI is going to be my next car for sure. I have heard the TSI engine is a gem. BTW, isn't this 1.4 TSI engine the same as the one in the Polo sold in the EU?
Old 24th March 2012, 12:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Very unlikely to happen (atleast for now). Unless they wanted to sell a Polo with 8-9 lakhs price tag.

Why not my polo 1.6 was 8 Lacs otr in Chennai before a 50k discount was given for insurance, amc etc so paying a bit more for 120bhp isn't a big stretch
Old 24th March 2012, 12:39   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
According the the VW UK website the Jetta with the 1.4l 122bhp engine does 0-100 in 9.8 secs and has a top speed of 200 kmph!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Exactly my view too. Why on earth would I buy an underpowered Jetta? When I can get a Laura 1.8TSi for the same or lower price?
0-100 in 9.8secs and 200Kmph top speed is underpowered? I think an official review on Team-BHP once the car is launched, can answer this question...

If the decrease in CC from 1.8 to 1.4 can get us about 2Kmpl more? Does that make sense?

If VW price the Jetta on par with Laura, IMO people will have a choice. Jetta definitely has higher build quality WRT Laura. Also, a common man may not require the additional power of a 1.8Tsi motor. On the other hand, if the Jetta is priced more than the Laura - it can spell disaster...

IMO, Petrol heads will always go with Tsi & Diesel Heads will always go with TDI. It will be interesting to know the advantages a Tsi engine has over TDI, due to the way peak torque spread. Other than the fuel cost, maintaining TDI and Tsi engines should be similar since both are Turbo charged... OR am I wrong?
Old 24th March 2012, 13:31   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

This is sad decision by VW, IMO.

1.4 TSi should go in Vento/Rapid.
1.8 TSi should go in the Jetta.

If they launch 1.4 TSi in Jetta, Fiat should capitalize on this and sell Linea T-jet aggressively. Only problem will be - the T-jet engine is no a direct injection one and does not have VVT as well.

In any case, the brighter side is - outdated petrol engines will be out soon. The 1.2 L petrols in Fabia/Polo are ridiculous.
Old 24th March 2012, 14:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
1.8 TSi should go in the Jetta.
I think 1.8TSi goes in Audi A4 and testing ground was Laura, so it seems a real shot for it to land in Jetta as it has better chassis to support the racy engine in different state of tune.

For someone who travels short distances to work and still wants a great petrol engine VW has the arsenal to hit it big. I am sure they are waiting to spoil Civic/Corolla party real soon. A premium car with smaller engine has always been a dud, but market perception has changed considerably.

Petrol prices will be revised soon so guess better efficiency is always on the buyer's mind. I enjoy my car's full potential and yet be frugal with I-vtec engine than to drive a bigger engine slow for improved economy. The TSI engine makes the best of low revs too, making it a viable option than going in for diesel.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks