Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:17   #31
BHPian

Re: GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

I had checked about 6 months back and autocop can install minus the door lock, however you will need to carry two separate remotes.

There is an alternate tracking device from TCOP. Though it relies on GSM (cell phone Sim from Vodafone) and not GPS. www.itransglobal.com
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:49   #32
BHPian

I think i remember reading about a bhpian's audi taken for a ride by service centre guys in mumbai which he tracked using his GPS tracker installed in it. Couldn't trace it now.

It even had a discussion with the manufacturer of that system. That appeared to be a well round system. Anybody can post a link?
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 09:24   #33
BHPian

I know the post is old, but data is relevant, hence posting the link of Q7 example:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-tracker.html

I think there is a need for every car or bike to install a passive GPS & GPRS based tracker! If not to stop the theft but atleast get alerted and locate car asap and inform cops!

With devices getting smaller and battery powered, its simple to get a stealth location to install!
Old 5th June 2013, 17:49   #34
BHPian

I just got TCOP installed in my Scorpio, costed me 8k.

I have not used car much to really see the movement on the map yet, but will do in the next couple of days.

TCOP is not GPS based, instead they have tied up with Vodafone to track the car via a GSM SIM card that transmits the location data based on the cell tower.

They have a new device in the works, which uses GPRS and you can see the car on the map using the Live View capability of Windows & Android devises.

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 5th June 2013 at 17:51.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:17   #35
BHPian

The device on the Q7 was TechnoPurple. It a Mumbai based outfit. They claim its GPS based, but need network connectivity to send the data. So in places with no network connectivity, the device stores the data (from GPS) and sends it when connectivity returns.

The device is about INR 10,000, with installation charges of INR 750 (Mumbai) / INR 1500 (rest of India). There is an annual charge of about INR 6000. The AMC after one year is an additional INR 1500. I have attached the proposal here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TechnoPurple_Sales_Proposal.pdf (268.3 KB, 8631 views)
manualManuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 17:41   #36
BHPian

(update on TCOP) I have not driven around much except within city on short runs, so yet cant say much on the reliability of the plotter...

However I get SMS when ever the door is opened or the ignition is switched on, also I can send SMS to query the current location and works well.

The first device had some issue and it was replaced promptly by TCOP.

They are working on a new device/app that will work on Windows & Android Phones - seems like they are stuck with some bugs there as I was promised to upgrade to this device for free but have not heard back on it yet.
Old 27th June 2013, 22:51   #37
BHPian

Spent some time on the plotter/route map today, as this is GSM based, it maps on to the nearest tower and draws lines connecting them and not the actual road traveled.

Name:  map.png
Views: 4491
Size:  161.0 KB

Yet a good to know where your vehicle is.

Next need to test on a high way trip, as it is dependent on Vodafone network...

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 27th June 2013 at 22:53.
Old 9th November 2013, 18:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews of the Autocop TrackPro? GPS tracking thingy+central locking rolled into one - that's how the accessories guys pitched it to me . It costs about 6500 plus annual sim card usage charges second year onwards.

In most cases, thieves manages to disable central locking in no time. So, if the thieves are smart enough to disable central locking, will this also be rendered useless? The salesman didn't give me a satisfying answer and thus I walked out.

Any other alternatives?
Old 10th November 2013, 04:17   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a similar product from a company named Smartlink network systems Ltd. They sell under the brand name DIGISOL.
Old 10th November 2013, 22:44   #40
BHPian

I have TCOP on mine and its stopped working since 3 Oct as either the TCOP company has not paid their bills or the Vodafone has changed the plan on the SIM cards issued to TCOP.

Unless the devise fitted is a GPS one, it will not give exact location, it will only gives the nearest (cell) tower where the SIM is currently registered.

As this will be fitted separately and not along with the auto-locking system, the thief will have to come prepared to disable this - time and knowledge.

well none of these systems can 100% prevent theft, they are for slowing down the thief in the act or being able to track the vehicle provided the thief did not disable the tracking system as well.
Old 11th November 2013, 07:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
well none of these systems can 100% prevent theft, they are for slowing down the thief in the act or being able to track the vehicle provided the thief did not disable the tracking system as well.
+1

In most cases, they don't even slow down the thief, but they provide a post mortem of the route of the stolen vehicle and current location of the vehicle helping in recovery. There are more advanced products which do more than just tracking, these can provide green driving dashboards, safety scoring, interface with OBD, talk to your mobile phone, etc. You may want to look at a product line from Harman/JBL under the brand GWTrack.
vishnugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I have TCOP on mine and its stopped working since 3 Oct as either the TCOP company has not paid their bills or the Vodafone has changed the plan on the SIM cards issued to TCOP.
Any update on TCOP? Was considering going in for the Basic model for around 5k. I only need to track my car (+driver) on my office laptop or mobile (Note 1)

Assume the device is completely non-operational because it is GSM triangulation only and not GPS + GSM/CDMA?
Old 11th November 2013, 15:34   #43
BHPian

Right its GSM based and vodafone specific, as vodafone has provided them with web service/API that helps tap in to their database for locating the SIM/vehicle.

They have promised to replace the SIM today waiting for their call.

They have another model available now on Windows & Android using the Live View capability, its got some bugs and they have been fixing it for over 6 months now...
Old 11th November 2013, 17:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Doesn't sound very professional although comparatively VFM. Do update what happens!
Old 17th November 2013, 12:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

I am using Autocop Track Pro since one year. I consider it as the best VFM product since tracking is entirely free, no website charges etc.

Other agencies who are charging customers for tracking is a complete loot IMHO.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks