Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2017, 08:09   #121
BHPian

Re: GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

Beware of Autocop Trackpro. Their tracking service has become too bad now. I've it in three of my cars and almost everyday there is some problem.

Either server is down or simply no update.

Most of the time they have a standard excuse: "... the sim needs to be flushed, ... your complaint is registered, we will send a mechanic within 24 hours". Now the mechanic will call after 3-4 days to find if car is available at registered address at that very moment, otherwise he will close the complaint.

Another excuse is "..... the car engine is possibly switched off hence its position cannot be updated.." No use telling them that tracker its connected to car battery.

I guess that autocop trackpro have too many customers and unable to handle the load.

I would request tsk1979 to give a fresh/current detailed advise on how to buy a GPS tracker and D.I.Y.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 13:33   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any suggestions to install a gps tracker in Duster?

The car in question comes with factory fitted central locking (w/ remote), so the autocop guys are saying, only geo fence, speed alarm will work and nothing else, like door open alarm, immobilization, sms lock/unlock etc.

Wanted to know if any of you have used any tracker with these features with cars having factory fitted central/remote locking?
Old 6th November 2017, 20:06   #123
BHPian

Came across this tracking device on Aliexpress. Has anyone used this, or familiar with? I want to know about its reliability.
Old 14th November 2017, 10:19   #124
Team-BHP Support

Came across this news article. The average road-side thief may not be capable but it was going to be only a matter of time until the tech savvy ones find a way around tracking devices.

Quote:
If you thought your car was safe because you have installed a "foolproof" GPS-enabled security system, you need to think again. Cars thieves are using devices that can jam a vehicle's GPS signal and make it go off the grid. Sleuths of the Anti-Auto Theft Squad (AATS) fear that these portable, battery-run devices might also be employed in kidnapping and other crimes involving GPS-enabled cabs.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61634799.cms
Old 15th November 2017, 11:54   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Came across this news article. The average road-side thief may not be capable but it was going to be only a matter of time until the tech savvy ones find a way around tracking devices.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61634799.cms
Just by jamming GPS you cant create much damage as long as GSM connectivity of these devices is not compromised. Outside India, typically thieves use GSM jammers. This way even if GPS is ON and locating its position, its of no use if it cannot use GSM network to transmit its location to backend server/user.

I know of tracking devices available in India, which come with jamming detection. Once they detect jamming is being done, these devices can be configured to trigger immobilizer, honk, hazard lights, alarms, etc
formel_eins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:35   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
I know of tracking devices available in India, which come with jamming detection. Once they detect jamming is being done, these devices can be configured to trigger immobilizer, honk, hazard lights, alarms, etc
And, what would be these devices? Can you share the name and company?
Old 20th November 2017, 18:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

Since, I have some experience with tracking devices (been a fleet owner for some time), two bits of advice.

I have had the experience of dealing with small startups and bigger names like AutoCop.

My advice, buy from a known brand, like AutoCop, as the after sales is very very important. What can go wrong? I will list the problems I have faced.

If anything goes wrong, AutoCop has a pretty good network (in the NCR). The guy would turn up the same day or the next. Smaller players have difficulty in sending their guy over. At times, I have been charged for his conveyance too.

Server uptimes are also important. My experience with smaller players has not been that good. Their tracking website, would be down at times, more than Autocop, and that is a big inconvenience if you have to track your cars 24/7.

The convenience of apps are also an additional feature, where the bigger players have an advantage. The apps are easy to use, give you plenty of information and you need not open a website for every small thing.

At times, the vehicle wouldn't start, as in, dead. We would wonder who switched the car off. Since, only I had the codes to disable a vehicle, a driver would call me first. And then I would call the company, and then they would send someone. More often than not, it was the wiring between the ignition and the GPS device, which was the culprit. At times, the devices themselves too developed problems and had to replaced.

Warranty. This is very important and the devices do tend to malfunction and it is better if there is a warranty. A good quality device costs around 4-6k (I had Teltonika FM1100s and Autocop's own devices) and the warranty, for sure, gives you a piece of mind.

One last bit, if the vehicle doesn't run for more than a week, chances are the GPS unit will suck the battery dead. You will have to jump start the vehicle then. If even that doesn't help, you will have to give the battery to the battery charger wallah for a full day charge.

GPS tracking is convenient for sure. It can not prevent theft always. As professional thieves do know how to get around them. Yes, amateur thieves do get caught as they forget to disable the device and the owners track them, more often than not.
ashutoshb is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 18:30   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
GPS tracking is convenient for sure. It can not prevent theft always. As professional thieves do know how to get around them. Yes, amateur thieves do get caught as they forget to disable the device and the owners track them, more often than not.
There was an article in one of the daily, about these thieves now using cellphone jammers to prevent any network connectivity to the GPS device. No network means, no alerts etc in case of break in.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
Just by jamming GPS you cant create much damage as long as GSM connectivity of these devices is not compromised. Outside India, typically thieves use GSM jammers. This way even if GPS is ON and locating its position, its of no use if it cannot use GSM network to transmit its location to backend server/user.

Agree! A simpler solution could be to alert the owner if the web/app servers don't get any heartbeat from the GPS device over a set duration, say, 10-15 mins.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th November 2017 at 18:33.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 19:06   #129
BHPian

Hi Has anyone used https://www.carsense.in/ gps tracker i have received it for the first year free from ICICI Lombard insurance. The device has come free when i got my insurance done from ICICI.
Old 14th December 2017, 19:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Hi Has anyone used https://www.carsense.in/ gps tracker i have received it for the first year free from ICICI Lombard insurance. The device has come free when i got my insurance done from ICICI.
I bought CarSense after paying 4k. It was called Carnot back then. Two words: Shitty device. Don't waste your hard earned money on it.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:45   #131

Any one using Ajjas ? Any reviews on this please if it is really worth?

Few details I got from the sales executive of Ajjas, seen in ads as well.

Only available for bikes as of now.

1. Anti theft feature
2. Fall / tamper alerts
3. Sharing the ride details which include kms, mileage etc.
4. The device is tamper proof and if any one still tampers, the bike would not turn on.
5. Switch on / Off bike
6. Cost - 5000
7. 600 rs discount / reference
8. After 1 year, 100 rs charge per month.
9. Vodafone and Idea Sim card being used for 2g connection and sms alerts

Last edited by rowonfield : 8th March 2018 at 16:02. Reason: Addition of feature
Old 30th March 2018, 13:33   #132

Hi,

Hasn’t anyone tried the Rollr Mini device and the app for GPS and health tracking??
Old 24th April 2018, 11:27   #133
Senior - BHPian

GPS helps cops trace stolen car within hours.

Quote:
The Hinjewadi police traced within four hours a car after a Mumbai resident was robbed of it by a person at Wakad chowk on Saturday evening. The car, worth Rs 6.50 lakh, was fitted with Global Positioning System, which helped in getting it back immediately.

The police have arrested the carjacker, Pradip Alhat (35), a resident of Gawarewadi in Hinjewadi. The owner of the car, Akash Salve (23), stays in Mumbai university staff quarters at Kalina in Mumbai.
Interesting Full Story and News Source:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63887529.cms
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 23:23   #134

Hello All,

I am using a Phoenix Secure GPS tracking system since April 2014 in my Swift Dzire. Had got the same fitted at Pasco Automobiles(MSIL Dealer), Gurgaon.

This was suggested to me by Pasco Accessory division representatives. The vehicle has been migrated from Haryana to Madhya Pradesh, still No issues faced till date.

Immobilizer option is available on SMS as well as mobile application command.

Other options like Speed Limit Voilation, Door open, Main Power off, Location Lost, SOS Call, Route Replay/Log, history report, SMS alerts etc. are available with resonable subscription charges.
Please find more details at http://www.phoenixsecure.in

Hope this would be useful!

Regards,
Sourabh
Sanzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 00:22   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Buy a concox from aliexpress put in your own sim card. Thats it.
Concox branded devices cost 35 Usd and are very reliable.
I came across many devices which have built in battery, are they safe to use in car's interior? Can these devices sustain temperature in summers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks