Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:05   #106
BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!! UPDATE: Prices Reduced !

One must appreciate the Goan CM for taking this bold step. Note that the decision can go either way. If Mr. Parrikar manages to get the money from some other means he will be hailed if not, then he will be severely criticised. I hope that he has other plans of revenue generation and takes the state through this reduced fuel cost scenario. I admire his guts and sincerity towards poll promises. Really sad that we the Maharashtrians do not have such old leaders, what we have is a set of junk, spineless people who run the government just to keep their "High Command" happy.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

It is good to have to spend lesser on petrol bills but I do not subscribe to the view that the VAT should be abolished. It is just that the tax structure should be rationalized so that the governments should get a fixed amount per litre and not the cascade based on percentage and the quantum of tax lessened.

Meanwhile, as we discuss the pros and cons of taxes on petrol, the auto LPG prices have been hiked by about Rs.7 a litre. Auto rickshaws would be the worst hit, followed by the bi fuel cars. So much for the environmental benefits of the LPG.

This massive increase would force many owners to look at getting a domestic LPG cylinder for the refill, which further burdens the Govt as these are heavily subsidized.

Tax rates on auto LPG - however much they are now - must be reduced so as to make people take note of auto LPG as an economical fuel compared to petrol.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:36   #108
BHPian

If anyone has noticed, ever since petrol prices have been reduced, the queues at the fuel pumps are just immense!! It has pretty much become a nightmare to drive through narrow roads that have a fuel station on the sides, more so if you are driving an SUV. My hatch is really low on fuel, but I am delaying tanking her up only to avoid this mad rush. Looks like the people of Goa have been postponing fill-ups since last week only to cause this humongous artificial shortage now, where so many pumps have already gone dry and still awaiting fresh supplies, since the pump owners themselves did not order for supplies on saturday since they would have had to sell those at reduced prices.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:25   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
If anyone has noticed, ever since petrol prices have been reduced, the queues at the fuel pumps are just immense!! It has pretty much become a nightmare to drive through narrow roads that have a fuel station on the sides, more so if you are driving an SUV. My hatch is really low on fuel, but I am delaying tanking her up only to avoid this mad rush. Looks like the people of Goa have been postponing fill-ups since last week only to cause this humongous artificial shortage now, where so many pumps have already gone dry and still awaiting fresh supplies, since the pump owners themselves did not order for supplies on saturday since they would have had to sell those at reduced prices.
I've seen this situation all over Goa. At a petrol pump in Polem near Goa's checkpost, motorists from Karwar district are gleefully crossing the border to tank up on cheaper petrol. The price difference is Rs 19 per litre!
Old 4th April 2012, 08:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Is it the case of what Goa thought yesterday, Karnataka thinks today? According to this report, Karnataka government is likely to withdraw VAT on petrol making petrol price less by Rs 15.50 to Rs 58 per litre at Bangalore? Keep your fingers crossed!
Attachment 908893
This will be bad news. I was hoping to pick up real cheap Accord from the used car.
Old 4th April 2012, 08:26   #111
BHPian

Goa VAT cut sparks petro rush from Karwar

This is pretty much going to be the case of all petrol pumps in the MH & KA districts bordering Goa. Hope these pump owners apply enough pressure on their respective governments to reduce or get rid off VAT.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I've seen this situation all over Goa. At a petrol pump in Polem near Goa's checkpost, motorists from Karwar district are gleefully crossing the border to tank up on cheaper petrol. The price difference is Rs 19 per litre!
Hello,

Rs. 19 per litre is a huge difference. I believe the distance between Karwar & Goa is less than 20 kms, which means people will not mind to drive down to Goa & fill a full tank petrol.

Also will this lead to illegal sale of Petrol in Karwar? I mean will some people shall buy petrol from Goa at Rs. 55 & start selling the same in Karwar & other small towns in Karnataka & Maharashtra at say Rs. 60 or Rs. 65 a litre?

Thanks,
Old 4th April 2012, 11:02   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Rs. 19 per litre is a huge difference. I believe the distance between Karwar & Goa is less than 20 kms, which means people will not mind to drive down to Goa & fill a full tank petrol.

Also will this lead to illegal sale of Petrol in Karwar? I mean will some people shall buy petrol from Goa at Rs. 55 & start selling the same in Karwar & other small towns in Karnataka & Maharashtra at say Rs. 60 or Rs. 65 a litre?

Thanks,
While people from nearby areas are allowed to fill petrol in their vehicles, carrying the same in any other way is prohibited. CM has talked of appointing an inspector and a subinspector each in every taluk to keep a watch on this. These guys will be from civil supplies dept. Also it seems, the police outposts will be asked to check suspicious vehicles. My house is on Goa border after entering from Karwar and there is a notable difference in vigil since Parrikar has come on power. Poor guys are scared of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Has the "diesel" price been reduced aswel?
No. Only petrol has been reduced.

Last edited by akshay380 : 4th April 2012 at 11:18.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 11:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Has the "diesel" price been reduced aswel?

Going forward am sure people in the check post will quiz people to know the intent

Last edited by lohithrao : 4th April 2012 at 11:24.
Old 5th April 2012, 07:33   #115
BHPian

OT,
Goa govt is in process of finalizing entry toll for ALL non Goa registered automobiles. A formal notification is expected by 15th April. Under this 2 wheelers will not be charged while 4W will be charged at Rs100 and 6W and above at Rs200.
Old 30th April 2013, 21:06   #116
BHPian

Owing to the latest reduction in petrol price by Rs.3, petrol will now be cheaper than diesel in Goa.

Current rates:

Petrol: 54.58
Diesel: 51.59

From midnight:

Petrol: 51.58

Relocation to Goa, anyone?
swarnava.m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 22:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Owing to the latest reduction in petrol price by Rs.3, petrol will now be cheaper than diesel in Goa.

Current rates:

Petrol: 54.58

From midnight:

Petrol: 51.58

Relocation to Goa, anyone?
Petrol cheaper than diesel? Am I dreaming? I wish I could re-locate to that state. When Goa can why can't other states? If this trend of downward revision of petrol prices and upward revision of diesel prices continues, then I think it will soon make good sense to choose petrol cars over diesel cars. Especially more so when you shell out nearly 1 lakh upfront for D version. And in case of used car market, the difference is ocean wide. Starship mileage Laura owners are asking upward of 8 L whereas pristine Accords/Civics with one third of mileage are going at nearly half of Laura's price. Even at inflated petrol price, the money saved up front will ensure you 2/3 years of free-run. And, not to speak of Honda's legendary reliability as opposed to Skoda's lack of it.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 09:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
P If this trend of downward revision of petrol prices and upward revision of diesel prices continues, then I think it will soon make good sense to choose petrol cars over diesel cars. Especially more so when you shell out nearly 1 lakh upfront for D version.
This is already happening my friend. Mad rush for diesel was not because people suddenly started liking it or started driving more and more kms. It was just a herd mentality of Diesel is cheap and i too need one.

With Diesel prices climbing up, more and more such people will stick to petrol.(I dont understand why people buy diesel if their usage is like less than 15K per month OR they need a people mover like Innova/Xylo)

So I am looking forward to that day when Diesel cars are available off the shelf (may be even at a discount too)
Old 1st May 2013, 09:54   #119
Senior - BHPian

The price drop is definetly going to make the auto industry confused again. Only over the last few years, most players re-jigged their production mix towards diesel. Now with this trend of petrol prices alone going down, its a serious problem for many.

To top it, it also adds confusion to car buyers like us. Do we go for diesel/petrol car - whether new or used ?

I seriously feel this govt should throw some policy clarity !
Old 1st May 2013, 10:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere in yahoo posts that there are reports of new awareness dawning on politicians that "aam admi", read bulk of voters, afford to ride only two-wheelers which run only on petrol, unlike diesel which is also used by well-off in their diesel cars. So, now they do not want to offend the voter-class. If that is true, then good days are ahead for petrol car owners.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks