Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 07:48   #1
BHPian

Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!! UPDATE: Prices Reduced !

As per the promise given in their election manifesto, new Goa government is planning to abolish the VAT on Petrol thereby making it cheaper by ~ Rs 11. That will be Rs 16/17 less than Maharashtra/Karnataka.
Goa govt mulls abolishing VAT on petrol - Hindustan Times

Compare that to KA govt

Now I can afford redlining my Figo whenever in Goa!

Last edited by akshay380 : 20th March 2012 at 07:51.
akshay380 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 08:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
As per the promise given in their election manifesto, new Goa government is planning to abolish the VAT on Petrol thereby making it cheaper by ~ Rs 11. That will be Rs 16/17 less than Maharashtra/Karnataka.
I'm still in shock! Can this type of reverse action possible in INDIA?

Side effects:
1. Another reason to visit GOA!
2. Everyone in 50KM radius from Goa border will benifit from this. It is like people in South Gujarat visit Daman & Silvassa (Both UT) to get Rs 3/ Liter discount on fuel!
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 08:36   #3
BHPian

Happy Goans (if that happens). I am all for compensating the additional annual revenue burden of around Rs 100 crore on the state exchequer by adequately increasing the VAT on liquor and cigarettes.
DudeWithaFiat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 08:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Goa govt mulls abolishing VAT on petrol - Hindustan Times

Compare that to KA govt
Now I can afford redlining my Figo whenever in Goa!
It is important to note that the promises made in the manifesto are on the track of delivey within a month of government formation. 02April'12 is the promised date of implementation. The perks offered by the new government of Goa have been great and very beneficial to the common man.

When the current CM was asked about the losses that will be incurred on account of removing VAT from Petrol and Diesel, he simply stated that the lost amount will be recovered using fair usage of public funds. The losses incurred due to corruption are far more than what they would be due to removal of VAT.

Time to move to Goa where fuel was already cheap. Here are some good reads from a local Goan newspaper:

Link 1.

Link 2.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 09:02   #5
BHPian

One cannot simply erase taxes from an essential commodity without taxing another. I am pretty sure the govt will definitely get to the drawing board on what else to tax.

To be politically safe, I guess we might see higher taxes on commodities and sectors which typically does not affect the residents. A case in point would be higher taxes in and around tourism. Goa with a large tourist influx can take advantage of that.

Time to buy your dream retirement/alternate home in Goa ! Things are getting cheaper and popular there
Old 20th March 2012, 09:43   #6
BANNED

So the state take was Rs.11. How much is the centre's take?
Old 20th March 2012, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's it, time to move to Goa.
Why can't other governments follow suit?
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 10:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am so looking forward to this. It is to be seen how the CM of Goa, makes good of the foregone revenue on petrol. Reading through the links provided by @moralfibre, it seems he has better hand at managing public fund and plugging revenue leaks.
Hope his efforts are successful as this would force other states to follow suit, sooner or later.
All the best to him.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, this is by far the best news in last few years early morning. Kudos to the Government in Goa to have taken this bold step which other state governments and center don't have the guts to take.

Time to make a trip to Goa, soon. Hopefully this will set a precedent that other states will follow, maybe not at the same level (i.e. 11 Rs reduction) but somewhere in between.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:24   #10
BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!!

If they practice what they have preached then it will be bold move, Rs 16 -17 cheaper than Maharashtra, i sense there would be people who would take undue advantage of this may even try to smuggle Petrol or involve in some other kind of similar activity.

If implementing this decision, the Government would have to look on all possible fronts avoid chaotic situation later.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:26   #11
BHPian

Wow, this is fantastic news and begs the question as to why the other states cannot follow suit??

Just yesterday I was mulling visiting Goa with my wife after reading mobike008's travelogue and now this, I guess visiting Goa just became more attractive.

But, just one concern here, though it is very welcome, I do hope the reduction is well thought out by the new state govt. Price discounts and reduction are very populist moves but should none the less be backed by a proper economic considerations. A govt in that ends up in deficit will eventually mean that the consumers or the populace suffer unduly in the end.

Last edited by PGNarain : 20th March 2012 at 11:28.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

Now the Goa police at the border will also check for extra petrol cans in your trunk, in addition to the usual things they look for.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 11:36   #13
BHPian

that is a wonderful move! and yes, govt. can definitely fill the gap in revenues caused by removal of VAT by optimizing some of its inefficient public spend processes.
i hope all other states follow the suit soon, at least non UPA govts, that shall definitely put some pressure on the govt.

P.S. there was a news on news channels yesterday that the fuel prices are set to go up after March 31; petrol up by 5 rupee and diesel by 2 rupee.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
P.S. there was a news on news channels yesterday that the fuel prices are set to go up after March 31; petrol up by 5 rupee and diesel by 2 rupee.
As per Pranab Mukherjee the Diesel price is going to be hiked after consulting and discussion with all the State GOVT. Mamatha FEAR
So what is the current price of Diesel and Petrol @ GOA. Will this change will be propelled to the other state ? How about the Automobile Company, will they rethink about the premium charge of the Diesel vehicle ?
The revenue loss to GOVT can be adjusted by managing state fund wisely. It should not be like first you lay the road and next day you dig the same road. GOVT can save lots by strict law/work order implementation... Good Going GOA. Set some example to your filthy rich neighbour state.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now the Goa police at the border will also check for extra petrol cans in your trunk, in addition to the usual things they look for.
And was just thinking the same thing!

They'd start looking at you suspiciously and judge you by your age and stuff.

People staying in Karwar will benefit from this a great deal. A short holiday drive is going to get cheaper for them. So is it going to be 52-56 depending on the bunk?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks