Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2006, 21:11   #106
Senior - BHPian

ford fiesta 68bhp @ 6.85; , accent crdi 84bhp @ 6.5lac; Verna @ 110bhp 8lac. Which would you a newbie 2 cars buy? all @ ex-showroom.

and dont forget abt all new Elantra! Price it at civics price!
Old 6th August 2006, 21:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yah and why not! Skoda did it.
Yes and thats exactly what I wanted someone to say. BUT when Skoda did it they got a lot of brickbats from memebers here and now when Hyundai is doing it, not one word about "ripping off Indian customers". Why?

The reason I am disappointed that Hyundai is doing this (if they actually launch the new Accent as Verna at premium prices) is because Hyundai was one company in India that respected the Indian car buyer and gave us what they were giving internationally. After copying designs, they have now started copying marketing strategies!

Last edited by amit : 6th August 2006 at 21:33.
Old 7th August 2006, 11:02   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
ford fiesta 68bhp @ 6.85; , accent crdi 84bhp @ 6.5lac; Verna @ 110bhp 8lac. Which would you a newbie 2 cars buy? all @ ex-showroom.
110bhp! Lets see. Civic too was coming with 140bhp!

Bhp figures are good on papers, they do sound good and people do consider them. But when it comes to buy a car people ask, tell me how much it drinks? What about resale? You have the example, even if with this bad image of Ford (about maintenance), Fiesta's sales have reached twice that of Accent. And Accent has 23% more bhps than Fiesta! What happened to these extra Bhps?

Quote:
Who will buy it then? Does Hyundai want this car to be a living history in India? Once upon a time, there was an Elantra...
Old 7th August 2006, 12:20   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Fiesta's sales have reached twice that of Accent....
Please verify the figures before you start firing blanket statements. Ford India's TOTAL sales (including Ikon, Endy, Fusion and Fiesta) was 3,428 units in June as against the Accent's 4,300.

Its fine to get excited, but perhaps you should bear in mind the fact that not everyone here is unaware of actual figures out in the market. You could do this yourself if you invested in a bit of googling before posting.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th August 2006 at 12:22.
Old 7th August 2006, 13:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Please verify the figures before you start firing blanket statements. Ford India's TOTAL sales (including Ikon, Endy, Fusion and Fiesta) was 3,428 units in June as against the Accent's 4,300.
What about figures of Ford Fiesta TDCi and Accent CRDI alone?

Quote:
Its fine to get excited, but perhaps you should bear in mind the fact that not everyone here is unaware of actual figures out in the market. You could do this yourself if you invested in a bit of googling before posting.
No Steeroid, I wasn't excited but I was told by someone at Shaman Ford, Mumbai that Fiesta TDCi has sales double to Accent CRDI! He didn't mention the figures though. You are correct at verification, my fault, I didn't verify it but still believe this to be true.

PS: can you please redirect me to the site having these sort of figures. I gave up, there is no data available for July on net!
Old 7th August 2006, 13:15   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
What about figures of Ford Fiesta TDCi and Accent CRDI alone?
Even before the TDci, the crdi was not selling much, reason, long waiting times. the engines were imported. This was one of the major reasons for low sales. If hyundai can promise quick delivery times on the verna, at 7L it will whip the Ford in sales any day.Think of it, Ford Fiesta inspite of being a modern design sells less than the accent which is whole 2 generations old.
And Verna is not just an upgrade. Its a completely new car with much more interorior space than the old accent. Add to the fact it will be more reliable and give you a better resale than the americans, it should do well in the market.
Hyundai's mistakes have been in D and upper D segment, Sonata and Elantra. but these two failed not because they were overpriced bad cars, but because of the hyundai name tag. The elantra is still one of the most VFM cars in the Indian market today. No other car gives you so much for so less. Its just the hyundai image. When Elantra was launched, Hyundai meant santro. Now things are different. People percieve hyundai as a serious car maker capable of delivering luxury and performance.
Dont undestimate the koreans, they are uprooting American supremacy in america itself and causing headaches to the Japanese combine, its only a matter of time when they dominate the Indian market.
Old 7th August 2006, 16:05   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Please quote your source.
4,300 Accents to me is rather unbelievable! Thats got to be way off.
Old 7th August 2006, 16:14   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia
Please quote your source.
4,300 Accents to me is rather unbelievable! Thats got to be way off.
Actually it's 4404 units. Here is the source:
http://www.hyundai.co.in/presspop.as...20June,%202006

Click on the link for sales in June 2006. Accent comes in the A3 segment.
Old 11th August 2006, 19:53   #114
BHPian

Quote:

Verna 110 BHP...I wont invest on then to be looked outdated car like (Accent CRDi 84 BHP). Also the price wont remain same after Verna's launch ...accent CRDi will be more aggressively priced (Officially). Even today if you check their website. Price is around 7.15. In which city ex-shoroom price for accent CRDi is 6.5? I won't mind getting there to save additional 65k!! lol

Last edited by rohitbagai : 11th August 2006 at 19:54.
Old 28th January 2013, 14:05   #115
BHPian

Re: hyundai accent production stopped

As per Wheel-O-Mania, Hyundai is all set to discontinue Accent for the domestic market from March 2013.

Quote:
Hyundai Motors India Limited, which is currently running at its full capacity due to huge demand for its Eon, i10, i20 and Verna cars in India is planning to discontinue Accent sedan in India market. However,as per the sources, the Korean carmaker would continue to produce the car but only for the export markets.
Source:http://www.wheelomania.com/2013/01/h...ue-accent.html
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:10   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
As per Wheel-O-Mania, Hyundai is all set to discontinue Accent for the domestic market from March 2013.

Source:http://www.wheelomania.com/2013/01/h...ue-accent.html
Almost 7 years after the news of Hyundai discontinuing Accent first came out, are we finally seeing it happen? Or would this be yet another rumour?

There is a much higher chance for it to happen this time as Accent and Santro are the only models without the fluidic design and hence likely to be getting the axe soon. With i10 diesel and a potential sedan based on i10 in the pipeline, they wouldn't need to wait much to fill in the gap created by Accent.

Same thing would happen with Santro too. With the modern Eon and i10 in the lineup, Santro is also out of place in their lineup.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Almost 7 years after the news of Hyundai discontinuing Accent first came out, are we finally seeing it happen? Or would this be yet another rumour?

There is a much higher chance for it to happen this time as Accent and Santro are the only models without the fluidic design and hence likely to be getting the axe soon. With i10 diesel and a potential sedan based on i10 in the pipeline, they wouldn't need to wait much to fill in the gap created by Accent.

Same thing would happen with Santro too. With the modern Eon and i10 in the lineup, Santro is also out of place in their lineup.
Making them fluidic design is just some bumper work. However, as you said, it may not happen. Also, till date, in absence of a wealthy competition, Accent was going strong as a Taxi (and giving tough fight to Logan); However, with the introduction of Etios to fleet service, Accent and Verito sales have dropped to pvt rental companies only. However, Verito scores here big time.

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2013, 14:31   #118
BHPian

Hyundai Dealers have stopped taking bookings for the Accent Executive sedan as stocks have been exhausted. This was confirmed by Bangalore Dealership, Trident Hyundai. The Accent Executive is no longer on Trident Hyundai's website as well. However, the Accent Executive has still not been removed from Hyundai's country website.

Sales for the Accent Executive fell to 87 units last month, while sales for January, February and March of this year stood at 157, 250 and 295 units respectively. In a bid to revive flagging sales for the ageing sedan, Hyundai had introduced an Accent 2011 edition in that year, priced at Rs 501,900 (ex-showroom, New Delhi). However, competition from newer sedans such as Maruti's Swift Dzire, Tata's Indigo+Manza, Toyota Etios, etc (all 3 are available in Diesel variants), sounded the death knell for the Petrol only Accent Executive.

hyundai accent production stopped-trident1.jpg

The Accent was launched in 1999 and along with the Santro built Hyundai's 'Value for Money' reputation in the Indian car market.

hyundai accent production stopped-accent-executive.jpg

Last edited by Redline6800 : 24th May 2013 at 14:48.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Having owned an Accent for sometime I liked the reliability and VFM score of this car, it may have failed in the market for few years now because of negligence of Hyundai but it has pleased its owners for sure and sad to see it end this way.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:07   #120
BHPian

Good move by Hyundai finally discontinuing the Accent after so many years.Maybe the Santro would be next,it's good that they are not going the Maruti way by not discontinuing older models.
Is it also something to do with the BS5 norms apart from their plans to launch a new compact sedan?
I hope they re-introduce the Accent nameplate with the new sedan and not something like i25

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks