Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 07:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
en it extensively. For me, Punto is much more easier to drive in City with very minimal gear shifts. Of course, technically Multijet is much superior than the 8 Valve per cylinder 68 PS SOHC TDCI engine.
I have driven the FGT version of Punto, and I still feel Figo is much easier to drive around in city. Another diesel which is very peppy and easy to drive is the Micra/Pulse - courtesy the 1.5L engine.

But here's the other angle - also throw in highway performance, and probably the Swift would be better option.

Catch with Figo - most people mentioned it - was driving my friend's Figo with 5 people on board a few months back and it would bottom out on most speed breakers in the speed breaker city.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 6th May 2012 at 07:38.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

I feel this soon will become another Punto v/s others thread. If we stick to the topic and comment based on the OP’s list (which he considered as VFM), it will be much easier for him.

Punto no doubt is a great car, but as per the respective websites its atleast a lakh more expensive than the Figo ( ex-showroom Delhi, 1.3 L Punto Emotion v/s 1.4 Duratorq Diesel Titanium).

Xingy: Have you Td-ed all these options? From your list, outside the Figo, the Micra looks like a good option as well – provided you are ok with the cutey looks of the Nissan
Old 6th May 2012, 10:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

1) Given the way prices of diesel cars have increased, none of them can be actually called VFM. The Fiesta classic petrol makes more sense if the purpose is driving pleasure ( ofcouse one has to consider the price of petrol ).
Out of the cars mentioned here, the Micra makes a bit more sense. Micra diesel is as responsive as Figo in traffic, has features like electric fold ORVM which is a huge plus in dense traffic conditions and tight parking spots. Gets all doors power windows which figo lacks.

2) IMO:
Figo : For a family man who is more intended towards FTD nature of cars, yet wants something to be quite comfortable and spacious.

Mirca : FTD nature is not on top of priority list, a person needs a reasonably spacious car with good responsiveness in city driving and good FE.

Swift : The best all rounder of all the cars. Has got almost all the things except boot space.

Liva : Again targeted at average family man and it succeeds there. The ride is infact quite nice with safe and predictable handling. Good space and comfort, good FE and the diesel is a very nice cruiser ( in hatchback category ) for an average person.

3) Why is the Beat diesel not here ? Yes it lacks the Electric OVRM stuff, has very little space at rear but if we can have polo in the list, why not beat. Beat has got a responsive city driving nature with probably the best FE for city. Just sufficient power for highway drives, but overall a nice package. Beat is one car which does not feel built to a cost, feels quite solid for its size and the compact dimensions are a huge plus.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 11:14   #34
BHPian

xingamazon, being a Figo owner myself, it did hurt me that I paid more than older Figo owners but whenever I see the prices paid by newer Figo owners, it gives me satisfaction. You could think the same way while buying your Figo

Seeing so many bashes against Figo in this thread makes me happy. I would like to personally thank each of them for bashing Figo and driving their relatives away from Figo because their act has made Ford unable to overprice their Figo. This has greatly benefited Figo owners like me (I bought my Figo petrol LXi for only 3.9 lac in Sept'11).

Call me selfish but I, myself, don't recommend Figo (or another Ford) to anyone because experiencing Figo myself, it is pretty clear that my next car is also going to be a Ford hence I am also doing my part of driving others away from Fords so that I can get one for dirt cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
By the end of the TD and pricing discussion I was just left wondering the reason why anyone would choose the Ritz over the Figo except may for the slightly costlier service compared to MSIL.
Do I foresee a non-Japanese car in your garage at last?

About "slightly costlier service", you might want to research about it again.
DevilsCry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 12:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Punto Dynamic MJD at 7.4 L on road Chennai is more expensive than the top spec Figo Titanium TDCi, while also lacking Airbags and Alloys. The Figo also has a superior ICE as standard, which also supports blurtooth function, USB and AUX inaddition to the music system of the Punto. But still the drool worthy looks of the Punto are hard to ignore, so is the wonderful ride quality. So I would pick the Punt over a Figo. But by sheer VFM, Figo still remains the car to beat in the segment (if we decide to comfortably ignore the Beat with the 1.0L Diesel heart)
Old 6th May 2012, 12:28   #36
BHPian

Ford introduced the Figo at lower price just to create a market for itself. I was lucky to have the EXI at just Rs. 5.05 lac OTR with ICE and tacho etc. Now its pricing is neck to neck with competitors. Also, diesel car prices have gone up overall. Considering it as the most VFM diesel hatch would be difficult but yes, it offers a well rounded package of performance and features at a reasonable price.

As aaggoswami mentioned, the fiesta classic petrol (base version) makes most sense if one considers FTD nature and ignores the petrol pricing.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Well you must be well aware from my other thread that I was totally against Figo, for no particular fault but somehow never liked it. But as many people including you suggested there, 1 TD blew me away. That steering feedback is so awesome. Infact Sameer was sitting in the rear and he could make out my excitement driving it. Overall I loved the car for the drive, the space inside, the boot space, equipment being provided and hitting that sweet spot .
Old 6th May 2012, 12:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nopes, he isn't go going add one anytime soon, he is very happy with his *all* japanese cars .

But trust me, he was blown away with driving pleasure of the figo, it was on his face, he was all praising for hydraulic unit, after being driving all on EPS unit, he understood pretty well, what difference can an hydraulic unit add in driving pleasure.

EDIT: Just saw, he replied back too.

Sticking to this topic, yes even now i think it's VFM, why ?

because none of the cars, you mentioned in your list have all the features like figo ( which vid described in his post very well ) . Ya, i do agree rear power window is a serious omission, but we can live with it, can't we ?, no car is perfect ain't it ?

In figo one actually feels 68hp, it may sound less but they are enough in normal conditions, IMO i found figo's ride and handling to be best after the punto which is benchmark in ride & handling.

Figo is actually good car to drive in city, with no turbo lag and on highways it rides equally well. In present sceanrio, nothing comes close to figo titanium in gives price band, which offers as much features as figo offers.

And trust me, it is real delight to drive.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 6th May 2012 at 12:43.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
xingamazon, being a Figo owner myself, it did hurt me that I paid more than older Figo owners but whenever I see the prices paid by newer Figo owners, it gives me satisfaction. You could think the same way while buying your Figo

Seeing so many bashes against Figo in this thread makes me happy. I would like to personally thank each of them for bashing Figo and driving their relatives away from Figo because their act has made Ford unable to overprice their Figo. This has greatly benefited Figo owners like me (I bought my Figo petrol LXi for only 3.9 lac in Sept'11).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Ford introduced the Figo at lower price just to create a market for itself. I was lucky to have the EXI at just Rs. 5.05 lac OTR with ICE and tacho etc. Now its pricing is neck to neck with competitors. Also, diesel car prices have gone up overall. Considering it as the most VFM diesel hatch would be difficult but yes, it offers a well rounded package of performance and features at a reasonable price.
When I got my Figo Titanium TDCi, I paid 6.5L on road bangalore. The current price is 7.3L in bangalore.

You may think that 80K is a big price increase but the newer Figo's have alloy wheels, fog lamps and steering tilt adjust. These additions are worth close to 35K alone.

Effective price increase post budget after 2 years is 45K which I would say is reasonable.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 12:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

May be its time for ford to bring in a mid-life facelift to the figo as the car has been around for quite some time now. Add rear power windows, few more interior features, nifty changes to both interior and exterior (I for one like the interior quality and materials used in the old fiesta (not the classic)), address GC issues with same or minimal price increase, it will still be the most VFM buy in its segment.

Either ways, the complaints that people have quoted against the car are very much addressable by this move, dont you all think so?
Old 7th May 2012, 13:21   #41
BHPian

Being an owner of Figo TDCI Titanium for past around 1 1/2 year with 30K on the odo, I have already got the 4th servicing done. Last three servicing was in the range of Rs. 5.5 to 7.5 K. That too without adding anything new! Just the regular service (oil etc changes). Now do I call this VFM? Absolutely NOT!

I already have a bad link rod (which I appreantely never hit the underbody) costing me around Rs.3K.

My brother in Rajasthan has Ikon TDCI, and the service cost is around Rs. 3.5 to 4.5 K. Fail to understand why so much of difference?

Also, add that the car is surely underpowered for its size. Have four people on board and A.C on speed 1 or 2. You will be struggling all through!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:23   #42
BHPian

From a VFM perspective, I believe any current petrol car (not just hatch) makes more sense if you are not driving more than 1.2K kms a month. Most cars with dual variants (D and P) have the petrol priced atleast 1lakh and upto 3 lakhs lower and you also get EXCELLENT discounts on the petrol.

From a figo vs others, I believe the VIsta makes and excellent case for itself.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:06   #43
BHPian

if you do an Apple to Apple comparison (compare top end models of each diesel hatch), Figo still is VFM.
i have test driven Swift ZDi, Figo TDCi, Punto 90, and Vista in last few days, and with Punto 90 being the benchmark of build quality, handling, and ease to drive - only Figo comes next. Only major grudge I felt with Figo is the interior quality - feels cheap.
current OTR or Figo in Thane is 7.3 Lac.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:25   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some help here: Am looking for a spacious hatch with focus on rear seat comfort & ride to be driven exclusively by my driver. Primary use is school run and errands totalling around 800km/month. Thus I do NOT need anything apart from power steering and AC and am looking at a minimal outflow. I am open to either petrol or diesel as long as the 1.2 petrol version (with AC on) gives adequate mileage in city traffic, and is 'driveable' instead of downshifting everytime we are slowed down. Not interested in highway mileage or manners. Intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years and hence resale not a major factor.

Please advise - I am eyeing the Figo Lxi models. What do you guys recommend? Is the BASE version of the Figo VFM?

If I compare the diesel hatches
Old 7th May 2012, 17:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Need some help here: Am looking for a spacious hatch with focus on rear seat comfort & ride to be driven exclusively by my driver. Primary use is school run and errands totalling around 800km/month. Thus I do NOT need anything apart from power steering and AC and am looking at a minimal outflow. I am open to either petrol or diesel as long as the 1.2 petrol version (with AC on) gives adequate mileage in city traffic, and is 'driveable' instead of downshifting everytime we are slowed down. Not interested in highway mileage or manners. Intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years and hence resale not a major factor.

Please advise - I am eyeing the Figo Lxi models. What do you guys recommend? Is the BASE version of the Figo VFM?

If I compare the diesel hatches
If it's petrol, you need a car with good FE. None of the premium hatches like Figo, Liva, i20, i10 will give you great mileage.

Instead of buying any of the above for 5lakhs you would be better off buying the WagonR. It has the best rear comfort and very good FE. Plus you save a cool 1 lakh over the premium ones.

If you go for a diesel you are looking at 6lakhs minimum for Ritz or Figo.

With the WagonR you get a petrol much lower than the other high end hatches and you almost don't need the diesel since the WagonR is so much lesser in price.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks