Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 16:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

I know I might sound a bit cynical when I am questioning the VFM status of Figo. But believe me, I am on lookout to buy a car (I am sure I will be buying one by Diwali this year ).

On doing some research I am quite startled on few facts. Ford has been slightly increasing the price very very gradually and is no longer the VFM Diesel vehicles available. No wonder the sales per month is also sliding down. I am scared if Ford is going by its old habit of high-pricing for Figo too.

Now, I am not talking cost of the lowest variant, I know most of the market measures the VFM using lowest variants. But if you take the highest variant (which I am targetting) and make a comparison. One can realize that Figo is costliest cars among Diesel high end ones.

Here is the price comparison of highest variant of its peers with similar features (on-road Chennai prices) source:carwale.com

Now the only cars ending up being costly than Figo are Swift and Polo. Now even these models are not targetting the VFM tag anyway. So here are the prices.

Ford Figo Duratorq Diesel Titanium 1.4 - 6,92,927
Toyota Etios Liva GD SP - 6,85,762
Maruti Suzuki Ritz Vdi (ABS) BS-IV - 6,65,537
Tata Indica Vista VX Quadrajet - 6,55,277
Nissan Micra XV Diesel - 6,83,575
Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi - 6,97,011
Volkswagen Polo Highline1.2L (D) - 8,56,696

Frankly, I have finalized on buying Figo already. I am just trying to ensure I make a right decision based on facts. So I would love being proved wrong in my analysis

So can someone tell me if Figo does really carry VFM tag anymore

Last edited by Mpower : 7th May 2012 at 17:10.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 16:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

Liva GD SP = no audio system with bluetooth, no alloys, no fog lamps, no electric mirrors, no rear wash wipe, no rear defogger. That's a lot of features missing for the same price.

Ritz VDi ABS = no audio, no remote locking, no airbags, no rear defogger, no rear wash wipe, no electric mirrors, no alloys, no seat height adjust. Again a lot of stuff missing.

Swift VDi = no audio, no alloys, no ABS, no airbags, no seat height adjust, no rear defogger, no no rear was wipe.

From all of the above Figo still looks most VFM offering the most features.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 16:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

In the long run, Rs. 20K here or there doesn't matter much. That translates to less than Rs. 400 per month difference in EMI. Compare the features & space available in a Figo with others and then see if it is still VFM.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 17:24   #4
BHPian

VFM tag for a car is all about the features and space that it offers for a certain price. You have listed the price (ignoring the features) and compare that with Vid's feature list and be happy that you have been proved wrong. Good decision.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey buddy, believe me, all the above prices are stone-age prices.

I suppose that the website is not updated with the current price tags.

And you left out the Fiat Grande Punto.

For your reference, here are few OTR Chennai prices, I remember. All discounts excluded.

Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion - 7.9L
Maruti Swift ZDi - 7.8 L
VW Polo HighLine - 8.4 L

These are the quotes I had, and I am pretty sure that the Figo was much less with regards to OTR prices.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you are just looking for the more kilo per rupee, look at the verito - very similar attributes, even more vfm. You can get the top end limited "executive" edition for a little over 8L. A TD probably wont hurt and plus a minor facelift is on the way

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th May 2012 at 17:57.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 18:09   #7
BHPian

@ xingamazon, This is my 2 cents.
VFM may differ from person to person, based on your inputs, if you can bear the noise/racket the Liva makes, go for it.

I just bought a Figo Exi TDCi, this March, it a super comfortable and spacious. 2 main gripes, the bottom scrapping and, my 2004 Santro felt more premium.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?-figo-vfm.jpg  

Last edited by neofromcapone : 5th May 2012 at 18:11. Reason: typo
Old 5th May 2012, 18:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So can someone tell me if Figo does really carry VFM tag anymore
I think so… But then, it depends on your definition of VFM. Ford cars are reasonably sturdy, and the Titanium variant is pretty loaded with dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Rear wash/wipe, phone interface etc. It may look a bit ordinary, but for this price I guess it’s one of the best options in the market.
Old 5th May 2012, 18:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you are just looking for the more kilo per rupee, look at the verito - very similar attributes, even more vfm. You can get the top end limited "executive" edition for a little over 8L. A TD probably wont hurt and plus a minor facelift is on the way
Are you sure of this mate? The Polo HL Diesel itself costs 8.4L OTR, Chennai (Pre-budget). Last price i know of Vento diesel HL was way over 12L.

EDIT: Mis-read Verito as Vento. Apologise.

Yes, Verito is a good family car, but some dislike the outdated looks and taxi image. And I do not think it is a replacement for a premium hatchback.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 5th May 2012 at 18:28.
Old 5th May 2012, 18:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I know I might sound a bit cynical when I am questioning the VFM status of Figo. But believe me, I am on lookout to buy a car (I am sure I will be buying one by Diwali this year ).
I think its still the best handling car in that segment. Many say that the new Swift is better but the steering in the Figo is a class act. Its so communicative and precise. Buy it and you will love it.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 10:48. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
vikramv007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
For your reference, here are few OTR Chennai prices, I remember. All discounts excluded.

Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion - 7.9L
Maruti Swift ZDi - 7.8 L
VW Polo HighLine - 8.4 L

These are the quotes I had, and I am pretty sure that the Figo was much less with regards to OTR prices.
I stopped believing that Figo is VFM long back. When my friend bought Figo TDCI Titanium in June'2010 it costed him 6.06 OTR in Chennai. Now its close to 7L which is insane pricing for a Figo. Swift/Ritz/Punto is any day a better bet than Figo.

Remember that GP 1.3 Emotion costs Rs. 7.5L OTR in Chennai after the discounts which has got hell lot of features than Figo and of course with much much superior Engine.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Honestly speaking diesel cars are no longer vfm unless you keep the running cost in mind.
Almost every diesel hatchback is seeing rise in price and how!
If you compare the price of Figo two years back with the current price, you might find it to be overpriced. But again none of its competitors are cheap !

It will be unfair to compare Figo titanium's price with middle variants of other cars (like Swift,Polo) or with cars which skip many features even on their top end model (like Micra,Liva)

Only car that matches Figo (or even beats it) is Vista. But again both cars have different appeal.
Ritz ddis is decently as well.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I stopped believing that Figo is VFM long back. When my friend bought Figo TDCI Titanium in June'2010 it costed him 6.06 OTR in Chennai. Now its close to 7L which is insane pricing for a Figo. Swift/Ritz/Punto is any day a better bet than Figo.

Remember that GP 1.3 Emotion costs Rs. 7.5L OTR in Chennai after the discounts which has got hell lot of features than Figo and of course with much much superior Engine.
Hi Ramesh, GP Emotion costs 7.8L OTR, Chennai (After discounts). Post-budget price.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 5th May 2012 at 20:20.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:06   #14
BHPian

Why is Micra Dci isnt discussed ? XV is the top end model isnt it ? Plus it also has a fresh looks, its fuel efficient and Nissan is really making their base strong in India.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

When talking about VFM, the maintenance costs and resale value should also be taken into account.

Maruti Swift diesel has a ridiculously high resale value. I feel this factor alone makes it most VFM. Even though one pays more upfront, but the extra cost is recovered during resale.

I'm not sure about the maintenance costs of Swift vs Figo, owners may comment.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks