Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 14:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
But at about a lakh lesser than the Zdi, Figo titanium is still more value.
...Besides, Figo has more space both in cabin and boot. For a family, able to buy a single car, the Figo still makes more sense. ...
Am absolutely in agreement with this. You can get most of the fancy features aftermarket for that 1lakh difference but i'm not sure if you can get the space ever! My brother is 6ft + and the only hatch under 6lacs he would fit in well and still leave some space for the rear passengers was Figo. That was just after it was launched. That apart from the fact that it ticked all the mandatory boxes except rear power windows was too much of a value proposition to ignore!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 10th May 2012 at 14:01.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

Having followed this thread from start I feel that we have 2 main prominent opinions showing up.
  • 1st is where VFM is defined based on an absolute price, for eg 6 lacs at which Figo was sold 2 yrs ago and comparing against that today's 1 lac more Figo is not VFM.
  • 2nd is comparing the OTR prices against direct competition and the features it offers at the price plus the overall value the complete product offers in terms of comfort, space, efficiency etc

I am more in support of the 2nd point. We need to take into account the factors like inflations, increased manf cost, taxes etc that come into play with time that impacts pricing.

I feel Vid gave a very good analysis to justify why Figo is still a VFM purchase and one of the reason why i bought one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Liva GD SP = no audio system with bluetooth, no alloys, no fog lamps, no electric mirrors, no rear wash wipe, no rear defogger. That's a lot of features missing for the same price.

Ritz VDi ABS = no audio, no remote locking, no airbags, no rear defogger, no rear wash wipe, no electric mirrors, no alloys, no seat height adjust. Again a lot of stuff missing.

Swift VDi = no audio, no alloys, no ABS, no airbags, no seat height adjust, no rear defogger, no no rear was wipe.

From all of the above Figo still looks most VFM offering the most features.
I bought my Figo TDCi titanium in Feb '12. Maruti VDis were not in contention at all. LIva GP+SP was about 20K more on road in BA. Similarly Vista high end ZX also costed more by ~20K. Swift ZDi, i20, Polo were dropped primarily because of >1lac price different for similar set of features and my perception of not being VFM . Where Figo really excels in my opinion is that it manages to get the right balance in terms of being a product design. Interior seating both front and rear is just right for comfort without sacrificing boot space. Engine is very drive-able and efficient though not a scorcher on in terms of performance. Handling and ride again neither too hard or soft and again just the right balance. Interior quality again not in league of Polo/i20 but neither cheap and spartan as Liva. So in my opinion combo of all these factors still make Figo a VFM product in the segment.

Last edited by supertinu : 10th May 2012 at 14:17.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 14:39   #78
BHPian

I have a September 2011, Figo Titanium Tdci and let me be honest it is one of the most amazing rides one can buy south of the 7.5 to 8 lakh mark.

The engine is a gem, very smooth and responsive and gives me great confidence. The road manners of this car are AMAZING, this car sticks to the road like you wouldn't believe, I have taken this car to around 130-135 kmph on the Delhi Chandigarh Highway and not once I was scared or worried. I am not very technical in these matters but to me this car clicks all the right boxes, when it comes to the important aspects like dynamics, drivetrain and gear box.

Now coming to interiors, the Figo is not as flamboyant as the Polo but hey the Polo is 1.5 lakh more expensive so it doesnt surprise me. The figo has interiors which can be best described as Utility, it does the job, they are not beige, Thank god, so no extensive cleaning is required. The buttons are responsive and good quality. The music system is what functional should mean. It is as easy to use and has Bluetooth which in Gurgaon makes life very easy.

I can go on and on but I can without a doubt say that the Figo is one of the best purchases we made. Even the service center guys at Harpreet Ford are very nice and friendly. My only wish from this car was to have the indicator stalks in the standard position and for 60:40 split seats.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu
Where Figo really excels in my opinion is that it manages to get the right balance in terms of being a product design.
Your post is a nice summary of the discussions on this thread. I guess we should have poll now. What Ford should do along with a refresh is to settle the many minor and a few not so minor niggles to increase the reliability quotient. That should bring in the moolah for Ford for some more years.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 10th May 2012 at 14:51.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:45   #80
BHPian

How I wish Ford would offer the ABS/Airbags pack as an option atleast on the middle variants of the Figo D, a la the Brio SMT (O), and not make someone who cant stretch to 7Lacs forgo the safety features that one would like to have!
Old 10th May 2012, 16:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
How I wish Ford would offer the ABS/Airbags pack as an option atleast on the middle variants of the Figo D, a la the Brio SMT (O), and not make someone who cant stretch to 7Lacs forgo the safety features that one would like to have!
I too wish all manufacturers would offer ABS (at least) and airbags as an option throughout the range. For instance the Figo ZXi gives me all the essential features including the music system. So if there had been a ZXi + ABS version (ala pre Classic Fiesta) then one would not have to buy the Fog lamps, alloys and other features which are not mandatory. The Swift Vdi ABS has also been withdrawn now, so Figo ZXi ABS can have a party. Hope Ford is listening!
Old 10th May 2012, 17:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
I too wish all manufacturers would offer ABS (at least) and airbags as an option throughout the range. For instance the Figo ZXi gives me all the essential features including the music system. So if there had been a ZXi + ABS version (ala pre Classic Fiesta) then one would not have to buy the Fog lamps, alloys and other features which are not mandatory. The Swift Vdi ABS has also been withdrawn now, so Figo ZXi ABS can have a party. Hope Ford is listening!
I agree with you. Also ford should make only three variants :

A stripped out variant Lxi
A zxi with abs as standard
A titanium like the current one

And most importantly, not increase the price.

It would help them gain a little bit more of the market.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:31   #83
BHPian

Desperate times for Ford. They seem to be hell bent on nailing down the VFM status of all their cars, the Figo in particular. For all those interested, have a look at this link.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/13088624.cms
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 14:33   #84
Team-BHP Support

Folks can argue till death as to which Car is better. If the Swift has better engine (it has & is more sprightly in performance), the Figo's suspension is unmatched.

It isn't that Swift will race ahead in a straight & vanish or a Figo will leave the Swift dead in corners. No.

Both have their pros & cons & you very well knew prior to your purchase. Why reason it with someone who doesn't understand?

We are all here bounded by the love for Cars, lets keep it that way
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 14:47   #85
BHPian

I also got a call from Delhi Ford about the midnight sale and they are offering LCDs, microwaves, digicams, samsung galaxy android phones and other gizmos along with free or partial free insurance. Also there is a scratch card offer. When i inquired about cash discount, the lady said - "cash discount will also be offered but she will not discuss it over the phone and the cash discount shall be given by the sales manager if you meet him"

I say its a good move. You can get a ford at a very VFM price along with one or two free appliances and also save on insurance. Good move. Unfortunately, though the ecosport (which i want to buy after a thorough test drive) is still not out so this sale is meaningless for me. But people who are on the look out for new cars can check it out. The date of the sale is May 13 from 8:00 am to 12 Midnight.
Old 11th May 2012, 18:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

If the ecu fix for the stalling problem really works, I have absolutely no hesitation is declaring that the Figo is easily the best hatch to buy and is easily the most vfm. I was quoted around 6.86 for the loaded titanium vs the Vdi where for 6.94 the maruti salesman was behaving like doing a great favor on my by even giving a quote.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Desperate times for Ford. They seem to be hell bent on nailing down the VFM status of all their cars, the Figo in particular. For all those interested, have a look at this link.

Ford India plans midnight sale this Sunday - The Economic Times
@fuel_addict: Ford India has been organizing such events of a few years now.
And very honestly, I think it makes sense, the average car buyer 10 years ago was able to took time out from his office, as he/she was someone senior or the owner of the company.

The dynamics have changed, the seller has to be available when the buyer is free.
Old 11th May 2012, 21:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone

@fuel_addict: Ford India has been organizing such events of a few years now.
And very honestly, I think it makes sense, the average car buyer 10 years ago was able to took time out from his office, as he/she was someone senior or the owner of the company.

The dynamics have changed, the seller has to be available when the buyer is free.
In that case, why does Ford not have these events more often? Why have it only on one Sunday in a year or whatever limited frequency they have it right now? Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me. Someone wanting to spend 5+ lakh of his money will always find time to visit the showroom. Lack of time is a lame excuse. Most showrooms are as such open half days on Sundays and on Saturday.

I am not against Ford in any sense. They are trying hard to compete and I appreciate that. But when you have a half page ad in the paper and pit a competitors's car against your own trying to show more value, that is not a good strategy IMO. Why not sell sell a product on its merits alone!

Last edited by fuel_addict : 11th May 2012 at 21:06.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:32   #89

I was also looking for a diesel hatchback for my wife in Delhi, and recently had the chance of TDing a couple of them. Her only requirement (apart from usual A/C etc) was power steering & power windows (atleast front).

Toyota Liva - Nice looking car, the build was rather paper thin for my taste, dealers seems to have take it or leave it attitude, engine power seemed adequate. However even their base variant costs 6.5 lakh in delhi which is rather on the high range

Nissan Micra diesel - Full of features, good suspension, but rather small & too compact for a 6.8 lakh car base variant

Hyundai i20 - The powertrain is really good, fit and finish is good, doesnt even seem you are driving a diesel car. However it seems that the 2012 model has gone down on plastic quality, and frankly m not a big fan of fluidic i20 design. My biggest grouse is with the Electric Power Steering, which gives zero feedback from the road, I would never be comfortable with it on high speed. Though with the premium pricing it commands, the feature list is rather less. For getting a in-built music system, I would have to fork minimum 7.5 Lakhs. Also the dealers are not really keen, if you wanna buy the base model

Swift/Ritz - I already own a petrol one (K series engine 2010 model), so I already know the ride and quality, but still had a go for the TDing. Good car, suspension is rather hard but consequently the driveability (& maneovarability ) is real good, and features list is rather the most poor among the competition. However with almost 2 months of waiting (increased further due to recent Manesar plant shutdown) and a little high price (costs 6.62 lakh, the base version), didnt see it as a VFM option.

Ford Figo: Good Car, loaded with feature ( the missing rear power windows even in ZXi is curious), but head room is rather tight. I am not a six footer, but sitting in it made me feel very constricted. Coming to build of car, its good, though the metal sheet used as per me was rather thin. However with onroad price as quoted by dealer of ZXi 1.4 is around 5.8 lakhs, and that makes it a good choice.

Skoda Fabia: The build quality speaks itself eons against other diesel hatchbacks. But it has zero features to offer, for the price it is quoting vis-a-vis the competition.

Fiat GP 2012: The first things that one feels is the build quality, the way doors make a "thud" is reassuring. The base version comes loaded with features like integrated system (no USB though), fog lights, tilt steering adustment, DTE etc..The engine used is same as that in Swift/Ritz/Indica, however compared to Swift its little lagging in its feedback (but not substantial), but where it makes up is the 15000 km per service timing. A.S.S. has been a major concern in the past, had a chat with the dealer, and has been told that FIAT is breaking off from the TATA, 6 dealers in delhi have already been confimed, and by next year atmost this change would be complete. Even the salesman attitude was really helpful, amd knowledgeable. With onroad price of 6 Lakh, including goodies like rear sensors, remote locking, 50 months warranty, 50 months Road Assistance Service etc, to me it was the most VFM of all, so took the active 1.3 version finally.

Last edited by manson : 5th September 2012 at 19:23.
Old 5th September 2012, 21:01   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnetheus
I was also looking for a diesel hatchback for my wife in Delhi, and recently had the chance of TDing a couple of them. Her only requirement (apart from usual A/C etc) was power steering & power windows (atleast front) .
If the diesel car is for your wife, the Figo Tdci Titanium suits best. Why?
1. The front view is easy for ladies, the dash board is not that height and even bonnet can be seen. Drivabilty in city is very easy.
2. Driver seat adjustable, tilt steering.
3. Very good music system with bluetooth, life easy on calls on the move.
3. Lots of features: electric mirrors, defogger, rear wiper, airbags, ABS, alloy wheels, huge boot
4. You get free insurance and freebies worth 10k on diesel model. (offer going in Bangalore)

If you are impressed with Figo, you can go ahead with above freebies or wait till Dussera or Diwali to get Facelift Figo. There are few cosmetic changes in front headlamp, bumper and rear tail lamp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks